Air Zound, and Santa

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Davidm, Dec 21, 2005.

  1. Davidm

    Davidm Guest

    I've just heard a rumour that santa is bringing me a trike. A Greenspeed GT5
    apparently. Great news, I guess santa heard I was planning to build one,
    worked out it was gonna cost a fair bit because I was looking at disk brakes
    etc, and decided that if I got a bought one then the house renovations
    wouldn't stop and I wouldn't be living in the workshop while I made several
    prototypes...

    Anyway, I think I'm in the market for an Air Zound. A couple of questions
    though - do they hold pressure if you don't use them very often, ie if I
    fill it up and then never use it can I actually depend on it to have
    pressure in an emergency, and what are the alternatives for noise making
    when commuting in the city by trike? Oh, and if anyone has leads to buy the
    Zound or an alternative in Perth...

    Cheers
    David M

    Tags:

  2. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2005-12-21, Davidm (aka Bruce)
    > I've just heard a rumour that santa is bringing me a trike. A Greenspeed GT5
    > apparently. Great news, I guess santa heard I was planning to build one,
    > worked out it was gonna cost a fair bit because I was looking at disk brakes
    > etc, and decided that if I got a bought one then the house renovations
    > wouldn't stop and I wouldn't be living in the workshop while I made several
    > prototypes...
    >
    > Anyway, I think I'm in the market for an Air Zound.

    And possibly a beard and .... uh, can't rememeber the rest of the
    stereotype.

    Lucky bastard. I don't think Santa's going to be making a visit this
    year. I've been a bad boy.

    > A couple of questions
    > though - do they hold pressure if you don't use them very often, ie if I
    > fill it up and then never use it can I actually depend on it to have
    > pressure in an emergency, and what are the alternatives for noise making
    > when commuting in the city by trike? Oh, and if anyone has leads to buy the
    > Zound or an alternative in Perth...

    I found one looking all innocently up at me when I was in the LBS
    buying a new tube tonight. Don't know that I can recommend these
    folding Vittoria Rubino pros. Gotten two glass punctures in the last
    week. Or is it the bogans I am not meant to be liking?

    I didn't buy the air zound. But I did buy a handlebar extender
    thigny, so perhaps I can now fit enough crap on my handebars such that
    an air zound is the natural progression. But how the heck am I meant
    to mount an air zound when I want to still be able to use two water
    bottles?

    Oh, and patched the tube tonight, before detaching the blasted valve
    from the rubber. Dammit. Well, I wasn't going to go racing anyway.
    You can't race with a rack on. That last sentence is a hint that I
    defaced my OCR tonight. I am sick of commuting with backpacks. I
    like Abbotsford cycles. I seem to be in a random mood tonight :)

    --
    TimC
    "Perhaps the truth is less interesting than the facts?"

  3. Resound

    Resound Guest

    > I didn't buy the air zound. But I did buy a handlebar extender
    > thigny, so perhaps I can now fit enough crap on my handebars such that
    > an air zound is the natural progression. But how the heck am I meant
    > to mount an air zound when I want to still be able to use two water
    > bottles?

    Old skool handlebar bidon cage?

    > Oh, and patched the tube tonight, before detaching the blasted valve
    > from the rubber. Dammit. Well, I wasn't going to go racing anyway.
    > You can't race with a rack on. That last sentence is a hint that I
    > defaced my OCR tonight. I am sick of commuting with backpacks. I
    > like Abbotsford cycles. I seem to be in a random mood tonight :)

    Racks are good. Abbotsford Cycles are also good. Backpacks are t3h suckage
    for commuting.

  4. Parbs

    Parbs Guest

    "TimC" wrote ...
    > On 2005-12-21, Davidm (aka Bruce)
    > >
    > > Anyway, I think I'm in the market for an Air Zound.

    > And possibly a beard and .... uh, can't rememeber the rest of the
    > stereotype.

    Some long socks and possibly a cardigan.

    Parbs

  5. Davidm

    Davidm Guest

    "Parbs" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "TimC" wrote ...
    >> On 2005-12-21, Davidm (aka Bruce)
    >> >
    >> > Anyway, I think I'm in the market for an Air Zound.

    >> And possibly a beard and .... uh, can't rememeber the rest of the
    >> stereotype.
    >>

    > Some long socks and possibly a cardigan.

    LOL....well some work to do then. I recently became a public servant after
    the last 10 years as a consultant, so I guess it's a natural transition...

    Cheers
    David m

  6. Davidm

    Davidm Guest

    "TimC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected].

    > I found one looking all innocently up at me when I was in the LBS
    > buying a new tube tonight. Don't know that I can recommend these
    > folding Vittoria Rubino pros.

    Me niether. My last bike got pinched after I changed to these tyres 2 days
    earlier.

    > But how the heck am I meant
    > to mount an air zound when I want to still be able to use two water
    > bottles?

    On a trike? I guess with the reservoir behind the seat somewhere?

    > I seem to be in a random mood tonight :)

    heh...I can kinda relate to that.

    Cheers
    David M

  7. HughMann

    HughMann New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2004

    Got my AirZound from Cecil Walker in Melbourne. Was delivered to Townsville 4 days after placing order. Have had good service and no credit card probs with them.

    Holds pressure easily for a week without use. Top it up whenever I check tyres or after having had to blast a few cager. I dont think that it will go flat from lack of use. Can also be used for a toot and a friendly wave - doesnt have to be only for telling cagers that their driving sucks.

    I have a third bottle cage under the down tube but on a trike the bottle could be tucked away anywhere as you dont really need to touch it. Air is pumped in to the bottle by the schrader valve hidden under the button that makes it GO.

    You will soon realise that it is incredibly bloody loud and will attract attention for 100m around so I have had to reserect my best Drill Sergeant voice and yell "BIKE" when its more appropriate - like when sneaking up behind little old ladies.

    Jealous of the trike. I am going to have to go that way too I think. The low back and neck are not coping with upright very well.

    Merry Christmas

    Hugh

  8. DD

    DD Guest

    Davidm wrote:

    > Anyway, I think I'm in the market for an Air Zound. A couple of questions
    > though - do they hold pressure if you don't use them very often, ie if I
    > fill it up and then never use it can I actually depend on it to have
    > pressure in an emergency, and what are the alternatives for noise making
    > when commuting in the city by trike? Oh, and if anyone has leads to buy the
    > Zound or an alternative in Perth...
    >
    > Cheers
    > David M

    I have a GTR and mirror mounts on both sides. On the left I have
    attached one of those Minoura bidon mounts
    ( http://www.phantomcycles.com.au/product.php?productid=607 ) and a cage
    to hold the bottle, facing backwards. On the arm of the Mirricycle
    mirror I attached the horn of the Airzound, looping the plastic tubing
    between the horn and the bottle around the mirror mount. It works. The
    other option is to use this bidon mount set up for your normal bidon and
    the under seat mount for the Airzound reservoir.

    As to pressures if you don't use the horn much then every few months or
    so you might just want to top the pressure up to 100psi or so. I have
    the older Airzound and this has a Schrader valve under the bottle,
    Schraders do leak over time but not that much. And on that issue I
    prefer the older Airzounds for reliability. I know of people who have
    been through 3 Airzounds or so. One mate tried to chase up spare parts
    from Canada but was told that over there the price is so low that they
    are treated as a disposable item, no spares. Of course the older version
    doesn't have the clear bottle, it has an ugly silver bottle but how
    visible it is on the trike is up to you. The newer is a smaller package,
    lighter and has a volume control (but that's where the failures occur).
    About the same price for either.

    I had issues with the horn when I first got it, that it just wouldn't
    work. On the back of the horn was a large plate that can be unscrewed,
    simply doing this (use multigrips) relieved the pressure inside the
    device and you simply tighten the plate back up and pump up the bottle.
    If you let the bottle deflate completely and then don't repressurise for
    some time you may have to do this ritual again some time.

    You can get the older Airzounds by ordering from Greenspeed. If you want
    the newer version then I think that Mercer Cycles in Fremantle still has
    one or can get more in. Perhaps even Fleet Cycles has one? If not then
    there are a few webmerchants who can help, try
    http://www.cecilwalker.com.au/category302_1.htm#2763 for instance.

    Don't forget to also have a bell. I use the bell first and the Airzound
    for close quarters stuff. Some of the coastal cycleways around Freo are
    frequented in the early mornings by the old biddies who like to walk
    side-by-side, taking up most of the DUP (not legal BTW, pedestrians two
    abreasting) and with earplugs in, ignoring most sounds including bike
    bells. Weird. But the Airzound works. Like something Monty Python-ish,
    no one ever expects the Spanish Inquisition, nor the Airzound. Also
    cheaper than buying a deathray and the battery pack for it.

    Enjoy triking. If you see me I have occasionally a Mueller front fairing
    and from next week a homemade F/G tailbox. I have a dinnerplate for a
    big chainring. Bombing down Lesmurdie Hill will be interesting in the
    new year. I feel the need for speed.

  9. Plodder

    Plodder Guest

    --
    Frank
    [email protected]
    "Davidm" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I've just heard a rumour that santa is bringing me a trike. A Greenspeed

    GT5
    > apparently. Great news, I guess santa heard I was planning to build one,
    > worked out it was gonna cost a fair bit because I was looking at disk

    brakes
    > etc, and decided that if I got a bought one then the house renovations
    > wouldn't stop and I wouldn't be living in the workshop while I made

    several
    > prototypes...
    >
    > Anyway, I think I'm in the market for an Air Zound. A couple of questions
    > though - do they hold pressure if you don't use them very often, ie if I
    > fill it up and then never use it can I actually depend on it to have
    > pressure in an emergency, and what are the alternatives for noise making
    > when commuting in the city by trike? Oh, and if anyone has leads to buy

    the
    > Zound or an alternative in Perth...
    >
    > Cheers
    > David M

    Saw an Air Zound in Rebel Spots at Carousel (Cannington) the other day...

    Cheers,

    Frank

  10. SomeGuy

    SomeGuy New Member

    Joined:
    May 18, 2004
    I'd go cecil walker. $45 with free freight inside AU. Compare that to to $33 plus probably $15 postage if you bought from ebayUS and I think you have a winner.

  11. Dave Ingram

    Dave Ingram Guest

    Davidm wrote:
    > Anyway, I think I'm in the market for an Air Zound. A couple of questions
    > though - do they hold pressure if you don't use them very often, ie if I
    > fill it up and then never use it can I actually depend on it to have
    > pressure in an emergency, and what are the alternatives for noise making
    > when commuting in the city by trike? Oh, and if anyone has leads to buy the
    > Zound or an alternative in Perth...

    I recently bought an AirZound2 from Cecil Walker. No dramas with it at all. It
    is very loud, but the one I have (grey and yellow horn with clear bottle) has
    a restrictor on the air hose at the horn to reduce the volume to something
    quite tame. I use the bell first and the horn for cars or earphone idiots on
    the bikeway.

    The pressure does drop, but I think that's people playing with it in the
    carpark at work ... The valve is under the horn button on the handle bar with
    this version, so it's easy to pump up.

    Not sure what can really go wrong with it. Even though it says not to change
    the bottle, I think that a quality 1.25l bottle would work find (no frills
    brand are too weak). That's based on other experiments rupturing PET drink
    bottles ...

    Dave.

  12. Jack Russell

    Jack Russell Guest

    Dave Ingram wrote:
    > Davidm wrote:
    >
    >> Anyway, I think I'm in the market for an Air Zound. A couple of
    >> questions though - do they hold pressure if you don't use them very
    >> often, ie if I fill it up and then never use it can I actually depend
    >> on it to have pressure in an emergency, and what are the alternatives
    >> for noise making when commuting in the city by trike? Oh, and if
    >> anyone has leads to buy the Zound or an alternative in Perth...

    > I recently bought an AirZound2 from Cecil Walker. No dramas with it at
    > all. It is very loud, but the one I have (grey and yellow horn with
    > clear bottle) has a restrictor on the air hose at the horn to reduce the
    > volume to something quite tame. I use the bell first and the horn for
    > cars or earphone idiots on the bikeway.
    >
    > The pressure does drop, but I think that's people playing with it in the
    > carpark at work ... The valve is under the horn button on the handle bar
    > with this version, so it's easy to pump up.
    >
    > Not sure what can really go wrong with it. Even though it says not to
    > change the bottle, I think that a quality 1.25l bottle would work find
    > (no frills brand are too weak). That's based on other experiments
    > rupturing PET drink bottles ...
    >

    > Dave.

    I had two air zounds. On both the tube developed holes, probably from
    rubbing. Could not replacement tubes or find anything that worked in
    their place. However, no one else that I have asked seems to have had
    this problem.

  13. scotty72

    scotty72 New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2005
    Had mine a few months now.

    It holds pressure for at least a week.

    I've seen a young lady strap it to a 2L coke bottle at it works fine. She can happily toot all day and half the night without charging.

    Oh yes, bloody loud - good for clearing the path of dogs etc.

    Scotty