Air Zound Go Bang

Richard

Guest
There I was, reading urc, when there's this godalmighty bang and a
prolonged hissing from right behind me. Rapidly checking to make sure
it wasn't an aggravated snake with a shotgun, I found out it was in fact
the tube of my Air Zound, split a few cm along from the horn.

So how do I repair it? If I could find a short length of rigid tube
that the split tube is a close fit over, aided and abetted by a
suitable adhesive, would that do the biz?

R.

Richard wrote:

> If I could find a short length of rigid tube
> that the split tube is a close fit over, aided and
> abetted by a suitable adhesive, would that do the biz?

what pressure does a Zound run at, does it say on the packaging?

if its around the 100psi of a bike tyre its worth a go repairing it. If
its significantly over then dont bother, repairs wont hold on such a
skinny tube.

On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 11:51:19 +0100, Phil Clarke
<[email protected]> wrote:

>if its around the 100psi of a bike tyre its worth a go repairing it. If
>its significantly over then dont bother, repairs wont hold on such a
>skinny tube.

Puncture repairs hold because the patch is trapped between the tyre
and inner tube. A patch over an AirZound would bubble.

Phil Clarke wrote:

> Richard wrote:
>
> > If I could find a short length of rigid tube
> > that the split tube is a close fit over, aided and
> > abetted by a suitable adhesive, would that do the biz?

> what pressure does a Zound run at, does it say on the packaging?

ISTR it saying 100psi on my AirZound 3 packaging - which was a
replacement for an AirZound2 which also had a tube failure due to a
silly sod cutting it (me).

The AirZound2 was 80psi and I struggled with all kinds of
connections/adhesives, and eventually gave up and bought a new one.

John B

> Puncture repairs hold because the patch is trapped between the tyre
> and inner tube. A patch over an AirZound would bubble.

Gaffer tape might work..

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 15:48:31 +0100, Richard
<[email protected]> wrote:

>There I was, reading urc, when there's this godalmighty bang and a
>prolonged hissing from right behind me. Rapidly checking to make sure
>it wasn't an aggravated snake with a shotgun, I found out it was in fact
>the tube of my Air Zound, split a few cm along from the horn.
>
>So how do I repair it? If I could find a short length of rigid tube
> that the split tube is a close fit over, aided and abetted by a
>suitable adhesive, would that do the biz?
>
>R.

You might get away with using some "adhesive-lined heat-shrink
tubing", possibly in multiple layers.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=308&doy=24m9D

It would require some nifty work with the *** lighter/soldering iron
to avoid knackering the air-zounds tube, but it might be worth a
punt...

HTH.

On Sat, 24 Sep, [email protected] <> wrote:

> You might get away with using some "adhesive-lined heat-shrink
> tubing", possibly in multiple layers.
>
> http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=308&doy=24m9D

Or hot-melt glue and ordinary heat-shrink, which has the same end
effect while being available in a wider range of colours and sizes.
As long as you use a fairly basic grade of each, the glue melts at a
lower temperature than the tube fails.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig