air zound horns

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Sam, Feb 1, 2003.

  1. Sam

    Sam Guest

    Hi all,

    I`ve been trying to get hold of air zound horns. Are they available in the UK, or could someone
    point me in the general direction where I could buy one ?

    many thanks..

    sam

    Tags:

  2. saruman

    saruman Guest

    "sam" <[email protected]> writes:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I`ve been trying to get hold of air zound horns. Are they available in the UK, or could someone
    > point me in the general direction where I could buy one ?
    >
    > many thanks..
    >
    > sam

    St Johns Street Cycles ...

    www.sjscycles.com

    cheers pete

    --
    pete hilton [email protected]rg

    IsaBella --- ICE Explorer #1070

  3. Ian D

    Ian D Guest

    and talking of zounds...

    I have a mk I and a mk II - I never really got along with the mk II - I find the button too fiddly.
    Trouble is my mk I is crash damaged - the horn is broken from the diaphragm bit. Anyone got any
    thoughts on a repair? - or a new horn and tube as the resevoir is fine...? They are great when they
    work. I have a bell on my left side which I use as my first line of warning on shared routes. If
    that doesn't work, one small press and *ZOUND* from the right. Never fails to get results :)

  4. Sam

    Sam Guest

    Thanks for the info. I have just been to the LBS, and asked for an air horn..the spotty faced oik,
    suggested the bulb-type..I said no, I want an air zound horn.. "A what ? lemme look in the
    catalogue...no..can`t find it." So I decided to order one on-line.

    I hope they are as loud as i have been led to believe

    see you, sam

  5. Bob Cardone

    Bob Cardone Guest

    "sam" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Thanks for the info. I have just been to the LBS, and asked for an air horn..the spotty faced oik,
    >suggested the bulb-type..I said no, I want an air zound horn.. "A what ? lemme look in the
    >catalogue...no..can`t find it." So I decided to order one on-line.
    >
    >I hope they are as loud as i have been led to believe
    >
    >see you, sam

    The problem with the one that doesn't have the volume adjustment on it ( which is the one I had
    before it broke one day) is that it is so loud that you sometimes scare the daylights out of someone
    when you blow it. The next one I buy will be the one with the adjustable volume.

    Bob

  6. Rorschandt

    Rorschandt Guest

    "Ian D" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > and talking of zounds...
    >
    > I have a mk I and a mk II - I never really got along with the mk II - I find the button too
    > fiddly. Trouble is my mk I is crash damaged - the horn is broken from the diaphragm bit. Anyone
    > got any thoughts on a repair? - or a new horn and tube as the resevoir is fine...? They are great
    > when they work. I have a bell on my left side which I use as my first line of warning on shared
    > routes. If that doesn't work, one small press and *ZOUND* from the right. Never fails to get
    > results :)

    Mine had crack in it, which I repaired with some liquid glue for plastic models of cars,
    airplanes,etc. It is quite loud, louder than I can yell, even when fearing for my life... rorschandt

  7. Sam

    Sam Guest

    I suppose creeping up behind someone and giving a blast isn`t a good idea..

    sam

  8. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    rorschandt wrote:

    > ... It [Air Zound] is quite loud, louder than I can yell, even when > fearing for my life...

    I have found the Air Zound to be very useful when riding on multi-lane urban streets - it gets the
    attention of inattentive motorists making lane changes.

    Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) RANS "Wavewind" and Rocket, Earth Cycles Sunset and
    Dragonflyer

  9. Mlb

    Mlb Guest

    "sam" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > I suppose creeping up behind someone and giving a blast isn`t a good idea..
    >
    > sam

    If you "feather" the button you can get a little beep without the big blast. I do it all the time.
    Just like hitting your car horn quickly but lightly to give just a little noise.

  10. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    MLB wrote:

    > If you "feather" the button you can get a little beep without the big blast. I do it all the time.
    > Just like hitting your car horn quickly but lightly to give just a little noise.

    I have had great success in accidentally wedging the Air Zound button open while loading my
    Rocket into my Civic hatchback. The interior of the car is quite effective at amplifying the
    sound level. ;)

  11. Sam wrote:

    > I suppose creeping up behind someone and giving a blast isn`t a good idea..

    On the contrary, it's an *excellent* idea, but only when done to:

    a. the useless cretinous morons crossing Bishopsgate during the rush hour, or
    b. the useless cretinous morons wandering Stoney Street at any time.

    I had an Air Zound II, but the bike fell over and it broke. Not impressed.

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  12. And if U had a Falcon Marine Air Horn...it would have survived when your bike fell over. The Falcon
    costs less, the air supply will last years (not a few hours), is not prone to failing when you need
    it most, there is no tubing to yellow in the sun or get brittle in winter.

    My Horn fits inside a standard bike water bottle. You cut open the bottom of the plastic water
    bottle and slide in the Air Horn cannister and tape the cut off area of the water bottle back
    on...so it still looks like a standard water bottle in a frame mounted cage. You screw on the
    Trumphet with the built in push button and you got yourself a Bike Horn that was designed for a
    Yacht and has a range of 2 miles....and even with the cost of one water bottle, the cage and the Air
    Horn (it is still below the cost of an Air Zounds). I consider an Air Zounds to be a wimpy horn when
    it goes up against a Falcon Marine Horn.
    ----------------
    > Sam wrote:
    >
    > > I suppose creeping up behind someone and giving a blast isn`t a good idea..
    >
    > On the contrary, it's an *excellent* idea, but only when done to:
    >
    > a. the useless cretinous morons crossing Bishopsgate during the rush hour, or
    > b. the useless cretinous morons wandering Stoney Street at any time.
    >
    > I had an Air Zound II, but the bike fell over and it broke. Not
    impressed.

    > Dave Larrington - http://legslarry.crosswinds.net/
    > http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  13. What a pity they do not seem to be available here...

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  14. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Dave Larrington wrote:
    > I had an Air Zound II, but the bike fell over and it broke. Not impressed.

    They are quite fragile, but it's possible to keep them going for years.

    I had my first one for about 4 years before I broke the button off and I had to gaffer tape it back
    on. Eventually I lost it and had to buy a new horn.

    The second one only lasted a few months before I broke the quick release. So I got some garden wire
    and tied the horn to the handlebar. It's still going strong 4 years later (though I have to retie it
    every few months).

    I bought a 3rd one some time ago, because the one that's wired in place is somewhat impractical to
    swap between bikes. But it means that when I drop the bike on the horn that I'm currently using,
    I've already got a replacement for it.

    (Now I need to find a replacement for the bell that I broke last week when I dropped the SMGT on it.
    I had a couple of spare bells floating around, and I fitted one of those, but it's nowhere near as
    good as the one that I had before).

    Thomas Paine

  15. Dave Miller

    Dave Miller Guest

    I'm a sailor as well as a bent'ee and familiar with a lot of marine horns but f it is louder than my
    Air Zounds I don't think I want to be around when it goes off........hmmmmm there is a problem there
    somewhere ;)

    On Mon, 3 Feb 2003 07:16:02 -0500, "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >And if U had a Falcon Marine Air Horn...it would have survived when your bike fell over. The Falcon
    >costs less, the air supply will last years (not a few hours), is not prone to failing when you need
    >it most, there is no tubing to yellow in the sun or get brittle in winter.
    >
    >My Horn fits inside a standard bike water bottle. You cut open the bottom of the plastic water
    >bottle and slide in the Air Horn cannister and tape the cut off area of the water bottle back
    >on...so it still looks like a standard water bottle in a frame mounted cage. You screw on the
    >Trumphet with the built in push button and you got yourself a Bike Horn that was designed for a
    >Yacht and has a range of 2 miles....and even with the cost of one water bottle, the cage and the
    >Air Horn (it is still below the cost of an Air Zounds). I consider an Air Zounds to be a wimpy horn
    >when it goes up against a Falcon Marine Horn.
    >----------------
    >"Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> Sam wrote:
    >>
    >> > I suppose creeping up behind someone and giving a blast isn`t a good idea..
    >>
    >> On the contrary, it's an *excellent* idea, but only when done to:
    >>
    >> a. the useless cretinous morons crossing Bishopsgate during the rush hour, or
    >> b. the useless cretinous morons wandering Stoney Street at any time.
    >>
    >> I had an Air Zound II, but the bike fell over and it broke. Not
    >impressed.
    >>
    >> Dave Larrington - http://legslarry.crosswinds.net/
    >> Editor - British Human Power Club Newsletter
    >> http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  16. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Danny Colyer wrote:

    > Dave Larrington wrote:
    > > I had an Air Zound II, but the bike fell over and it broke. Not impressed.
    >
    > They are quite fragile, but it's possible to keep them going for years....

    I purchased an Air Zound from Calhoun Cycle that had a defective valve. Fortunately Mary Breen
    expedited a replacement to me in short order.

    Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) RANS "Wavewind" and Rocket, Earth Cycles Sunset and
    Dragonflyer, Sidewalker Micro, Trek 6000

  17. Consider getting the attention of someone with their car windows rolled up and the airconditioning
    going or they are on a cellphone or listening to Led Zepplin and you want to get their attention. A
    Falcon Air Horn will get their attention...an Air Zounds won't.
    -------------------
    <Dave Miller> wrote in message news:eek:[email protected]...
    > I'm a sailor as well as a bent'ee and familiar with a lot of marine horns but f it is louder than
    > my Air Zounds I don't think I want to be around when it goes off........hmmmmm there is a problem
    > there somewhere ;)
    >
    > On Mon, 3 Feb 2003 07:16:02 -0500, "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >And if U had a Falcon Marine Air Horn...it would have survived when your bike fell over. The
    > >Falcon costs less, the air supply will last years (not a few hours),
    is
    > >not prone to failing when you need it most, there is no tubing to yellow
    in
    > >the sun or get brittle in winter.
    > >
    > >My Horn fits inside a standard bike water bottle. You cut open the bottom
    of
    > >the plastic water bottle and slide in the Air Horn cannister and tape the cut off area of the
    > >water bottle back on...so it still looks like a
    standard
    > >water bottle in a frame mounted cage. You screw on the Trumphet with the built in push button and
    > >you got yourself a Bike Horn that was designed
    for
    > >a Yacht and has a range of 2 miles....and even with the cost of one water bottle, the cage and
    > >the Air Horn (it is still below the cost of an Air Zounds). I consider an Air Zounds to be a
    > >wimpy horn when it goes up
    against
    > >a Falcon Marine Horn.

    -
    > >----------------
    > >"Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >news:[email protected]...

    > >> On the contrary, it's an *excellent* idea, but only when done to:
    > >>
    > >> a. the useless cretinous morons crossing Bishopsgate during the rush
    hour,
    > >> or
    > >> b. the useless cretinous morons wandering Stoney Street at any time.
    > >>
    > >> I had an Air Zound II, but the bike fell over and it broke. Not
    > >impressed.
    > >>
    > >> Dave Larrington - http://legslarry.crosswinds.net/
    > >> ===========================================================
    > >> Editor - British Human Power Club Newsletter
    > >> http://www.bhpc.org.uk/
    > >> ===========================================================

  18. Hairyone

    Hairyone Guest

    One of the best uses for my airzound was on a 2 day charity ride. one of the sweep vehicles had a
    powered megaphone with a siren sounding button. They passsed me a few times during the course of a
    days riding. each time this one guy would lean out the window and blast the siren at me. I pulled
    into a pit stop while their van was there and the guy was just climbing out when I rode up from
    behind and let out a long blast. He jumped so high he almost went through the roof of the van. When
    he recovered I just told him I think mine is louder. Harry Vr40 with oss. (the air bottle is carried
    in a handlebar bag with my cell phone and power gel since here is no place to mount the bottle) ps I
    have had a chance to try it on a couple of dogs and it's worked so far.

    "Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Sam wrote:
    >
    >> I suppose creeping up behind someone and giving a blast isn`t a good idea..
    >
    >On the contrary, it's an *excellent* idea, but only when done to:
    >
    >a. the useless cretinous morons crossing Bishopsgate during the rush hour, or
    >b. the useless cretinous morons wandering Stoney Street at any time.
    >
    >I had an Air Zound II, but the bike fell over and it broke. Not impressed.
    >
    >Dave Larrington - http://legslarry.crosswinds.net/
    > http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

    Harry VR40/oss

  19. "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:K5F%[email protected]...
    > Consider getting the attention of someone with their car windows rolled up and the airconditioning
    > going or they are on a cellphone or listening to
    Led
    > Zepplin and you want to get their attention. A Falcon Air Horn will get their attention...an Air
    > Zounds won't.

    Do you have a URL or something? Google never heard of Falcon Air Horns.

  20. Harv

    Harv Guest

    I wouldn't denegrate the Airzounds like that Joshua. A, er...lady in her Mercedes land barge cruised
    thru a stop sign and turned left too close to
    me. I cut loose a big blast (none of this lower volume air valve setting crap, it's full on!).
    Bitch flinched, dropped her cell, almost ran her pimp's Benz into a phone pole. She never did
    stop. Run out of air? Haven't used it that much on any one ride, but I do carry an air pump
    that's Schraeder compatible. What do ya do when your Falcon farts its last gasp, throw the
    empty can? <G>

    news:K5F%[email protected]...
    > Consider getting the attention of someone with their car windows rolled up and the airconditioning
    > going or they are on a cellphone or listening to
    Led
    > Zepplin and you want to get their attention. A Falcon Air Horn will get their attention...an Air
    > Zounds won't.
    snipola