air zound horns

yep...toss the can and pay a whopping $6.00 for a new one. My current Falcon gets used often and has
lasted since 1999. A Falcon costs half the price of an Air Zounds and is not prone to breaking or
failing and you don't need to pump air into it for every ride. AND it looks cool compared to the Air
Zounds. I figure that when the technology is there and it works well, why bother going to something
that looks silly and is prone to breakage....but to each his own poison.
---------------------
"harv" <harv*no_spam*@spininternet.com> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I wouldn't denegrate the Airzounds like that Joshua. A, er...lady in her Mercedes land barge
> cruised thru a stop sign and turned left too close to
> me. I cut loose a big blast (none of this lower volume air valve setting ****, it's full on!).
> ***** flinched, dropped her cell, almost ran her pimp's Benz into a phone pole. She never did
> stop. Run out of air? Haven't used it that much on any one ride, but I do carry an air pump
> that's Schraeder compatible. What do ya do when your Falcon farts its last gasp, throw the
> empty can? <G>
>
> "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:K5F%[email protected]...
> > Consider getting the attention of someone with their car windows rolled
up
> > and the airconditioning going or they are on a cellphone or listening to
> Led
> > Zepplin and you want to get their attention. A Falcon Air Horn will get their attention...an Air
> > Zounds won't.

> snipola

Found a gas horn at http://www.airhorns.co.uk/. Not a Falcon, but it claims to be "louder than any
other push button horn available".
10.99 GBP, and 5.99 GBP for a refill.

You can even listen to it on-line, though of course that doesn't prove how loud it is.

Chris

news:<[email protected]>...

On Tue, 04 Feb 2003 03:15:42 -0000, "Hairyone" <[email protected]> wrote:

>the air bottle is carried in a handlebar bag with my cell phone and power gel since here is no
>place to mount the bottle

I zip-tied a bottle cage to the boom of my bike to take the reservoir.

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

Guy wrote:
> I zip-tied a bottle cage to the boom of my bike to take the reservoir.

Mine's velcroed to the rear rack - there's always a solution somewhere (I've got a bottle on the
boom, not space for the AirZound reservoir as well).

Thomas Paine

Joshua Goldberg wrote:
> Consider getting the attention of someone with their car windows rolled up and the airconditioning
> going or they are on a cellphone or listening to Led Zepplin and you want to get their attention.
> A Falcon Air Horn will get their attention...an Air Zounds won't.

It will if you've got it pumped up. Unless the cars have double glazing over there.

And frankly, I wouldn't want to use anything louder than an Air Zound because I value my
own hearing.

Thomas Paine

sorry, ya gotta speak up sonny....can't hear ya
"Danny Colyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Joshua Goldberg wrote:
> > Consider getting the attention of someone with their car windows rolled up and the
> > airconditioning going or they are on a cellphone or listening to Led Zepplin and you want to get
> > their attention. A Falcon Air Horn will get their attention...an Air Zounds won't.
>
> It will if you've got it pumped up. Unless the cars have double glazing over there.
>
> And frankly, I wouldn't want to use anything louder than an Air Zound because I value my own
> hearing.
>
> --
> Danny Colyer (remove safety to reply) ( http://www.juggler.net/danny ) Recumbent cycle page:
> http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/recumbents/ "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." -
> Thomas Paine

Joshua,

Do you have photos of your airhorn setup that you can post?

I don't want to get caught up in the Air Zound vs Air Horn debate, but I am interested in solutions
folks have come up with for mounting their airhorns.

I have both an Air Horn (Falcon) and and Air Zound. I mount the Air Zound horn below the seat
(junction of seat and backrest) and the bottle behind the seat on the rack (I have a 2001 RANS
Wave). I have also set it up in a water bottle cage. The seat mount setup is cleaner and a real
supprise to folks who are not expecting you to have a horn. Only problem is that it is sometimes
hard to reach in an emergency...

Regards

Stu Sanford Woodbridge, Va 2001 RANS Wave

news:44t%[email protected]...>
> My Horn fits inside a standard bike water bottle. You cut open the bottom
of
> the plastic water bottle and slide in the Air Horn cannister and tape the cut off area of the
> water bottle back on...so it still looks like a
standard
> water bottle in a frame mounted cage. You screw on the Trumphet with the built in push button and
> you got yourself a Bike Horn that was designed
for

Stu Sanford wrote:
> I am interested in solutions folks have come up with for mounting their airhorns.

With the AirZound on USS it's easy to mount it like this, so that it can be used with the heel of
the hand at the same time as braking:
http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/stable/helga/helgahorn01.jpg

(I can upload a higher res picture, or one taken from a different angle, if that's not clear. It's
just the picture I took to represent the horn when I was creating
http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/stable/helga.html . Come to think of it, those pictures
were scanned, they were taken before I had a digital camera. I probably ought to redo them anyway).

On my ATB it's mounted between the left brake lever and the gear shifter, where I can use the horn
with my thumb whilst braking. This ought to work well on a USS bent, too, and I imagine something
similar could be set up with the Falcon.

Thomas Paine

pics...yes, but on a bent with OSS (ape bars). On the USS Tadpole the horn is mounted horizontally
so the button is still close to my brake lever.
-------------------
"Stu Sanford" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Joshua,
>
> Do you have photos of your airhorn setup that you can post?
>
> I don't want to get caught up in the Air Zound vs Air Horn debate, but I
am
> interested in solutions folks have come up with for mounting their
airhorns.

> I have both an Air Horn (Falcon) and and Air Zound. I mount the Air Zound horn below the seat
> (junction of seat and backrest) and the bottle behind the seat on the rack (I have a 2001 RANS
> Wave). I have also set it up in a water bottle cage. The seat mount setup is cleaner and a real
> supprise to folks who are not expecting you to have a horn. Only problem is that it is sometimes
> hard to reach in an
emergency...

> Regards
>
> Stu Sanford Woodbridge, Va 2001 RANS Wave
>

> "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:44t%[email protected]...>
> > My Horn fits inside a standard bike water bottle. You cut open the
bottom
> of
> > the plastic water bottle and slide in the Air Horn cannister and tape
the
> > cut off area of the water bottle back on...so it still looks like a
> standard
> > water bottle in a frame mounted cage. You screw on the Trumphet with the built in push button
> > and you got yourself a Bike Horn that was designed
> for
> > a Yacht and has a range of 2 miles....and even with the cost of one
water
> > bottle, the cage and the Air Horn (it is still below the cost of an Air Zounds).

I typed in 'falcon air horn' and the first on the list to me right to the very product. Maybe you're
not holding your mouth right.

On Mon, 3 Feb 2003 22:23:59 -0600, "Zippy the Pinhead" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:K5F%[email protected]...
>> Consider getting the attention of someone with their car windows rolled up and the
>> airconditioning going or they are on a cellphone or listening to
>Led
>> Zepplin and you want to get their attention. A Falcon Air Horn will get their attention...an Air
>> Zounds won't.
>
>Do you have a URL or something? Google never heard of Falcon Air Horns.

Here's how you might go overboard on your Air Zound, if a lower profile is that important. I
stripped the handlebar mounting hardware, and custom mounted it. Click 'horn detail'.

http://community.webshots.com/user/dkopec

Pros include location out of the way of steering and airstream. Cons are time and tools needed to
form sheet metal brackets from scratch, and location away from hand grips--one-handed steering
required to honk.

The photos show the horn mounted on a Linear LWB, although I originally installed it on the stem of
a SWB handlebar. The long brackets were bolted to holes drilled through the stem. I replaced the
washer beneath the headset with another homemade bracket to attach the other clamp. The bottle was
mounted to the back of the seat in both cases.

The bad news is it's getting rather old. The air hose is suffering from weather or sun exposure.
It's losing some of its elasticity (and air). Does anyone know a supplier of replacement hose this
size? I'd rather not buy a whole horn to fix such a simple piece of hardware.

David '00Linear LWB Shameless Blackbent Rider

"Stu Sanford" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Joshua,
>
> Do you have photos of your airhorn setup that you can post?
>
> I don't want to get caught up in the Air Zound vs Air Horn debate, but I
am
> interested in solutions folks have come up with for mounting their
airhorns.

> I have both an Air Horn (Falcon) and and Air Zound. I mount the Air Zound horn below the seat
> (junction of seat and backrest) and the bottle behind the seat on the rack (I have a 2001 RANS
> Wave). I have also set it up in a water bottle cage. The seat mount setup is cleaner and a real
> supprise to folks who are not expecting you to have a horn. Only problem is that it is sometimes
> hard to reach in an
emergency...

> Regards
>
> Stu Sanford Woodbridge, Va 2001 RANS Wave
>

> "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:44t%[email protected]...>
> > My Horn fits inside a standard bike water bottle. You cut open the
bottom
> of
> > the plastic water bottle and slide in the Air Horn cannister and tape
the
> > cut off area of the water bottle back on...so it still looks like a
> standard
> > water bottle in a frame mounted cage. You screw on the Trumphet with the built in push button
> > and you got yourself a Bike Horn that was designed
> for
> > a Yacht and has a range of 2 miles....and even with the cost of one
water
> > bottle, the cage and the Air Horn (it is still below the cost of an Air Zounds).

Try using Capital Letters as in "Falcon Air Horn"...better yet, just go to the company website
http://www.falconsafety.com Oh Yeah...in case of an emergency, you can lean on a Falcon Air Horn for
45 minutes on non-stop 120+ decibel sound with a 2 mile range, try this with an Air Zounds. Think of
places you ride that a Falcon Air Horn would be a good tool to have...such as a nice fall on a
trail, your bent is toast in a hit and run accident, fork breaks on an isolated trail, you meet a
large hungy Bear and you are the only available thing on the menu etc. Having a cellphone is cool,
but all you do is give your current location and hope the Bear leaves a blood trail (yours) for the
person you called. Yeah, like what are the odds I'll meet a Bear or Wolf or Doberman or a pesky Wino
or get hit by a car or have a large tree branch fall on me during a storm etc. I really should be
selling these horns. Last Spring I sold 2 Air Zounds (both returned) for Product Defects. One I used
Surgical tube to replace the stock tube (same stuff btw), then the mount broke off the guys bent. He
then bought a Falcon. Oh Yeah...this guy was prone to heart attacks and he wanted to Alert his
neighbors if he thought he was going to arrest, 1st time he tried the Air Zounds nothing happened,
he forgot to pump in air before the ride...he figured it (still) had air from the day before.

"Zippy the Pinhead" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> > I typed in 'falcon air horn' and the first on the list to me right to
the
> very product. Maybe you're not holding your mouth right.
>
> Well, I very seldom do. I'll try again. Thanks.

"120+ decibel sound with a 2 mile range" is specious nonsense and especially from the mechanically
challenged.

I run my Air Zond with a two liter air reservoir at 100 psi. I am quite pleased with its performance
and cost. "2 mile range" ha, for the gullah-bull.

If I really want attention then I will use the community's Shot Spotter (search on it). It must be
better than Dial 9-1-1 else why spend more tax dollars on more rant rant rant...!

> Try using Capital Letters as in "Falcon Air Horn"...better yet, just go to the company website
> http://www.falconsafety.com Oh Yeah...in case of an emergency, you can lean on a Falcon Air
> Horn for
45
> minutes on non-stop 120+ decibel sound with a 2 mile range, try this with
an
> Air Zounds. Think of places you ride that a Falcon Air Horn would be a
good
> tool to have...such as a nice fall on a trail, your bent is toast in a hit and run accident, fork
> breaks on an isolated trail, you meet a large hungy Bear and you are the only available thing on
> the menu etc. Having a cellphone is cool, but all you do is give your current location and hope
the
> Bear leaves a blood trail (yours) for the person you called. Yeah, like what are the odds I'll
> meet a Bear or Wolf or Doberman or a
pesky
> Wino or get hit by a car or have a large tree branch fall on me during a storm etc. I really
> should be selling these horns. Last Spring I sold 2 Air Zounds (both returned) for Product
> Defects. One I used Surgical tube to replace
the
> stock tube (same stuff btw), then the mount broke off the guys bent. He then bought a Falcon. Oh
> Yeah...this guy was prone to heart attacks and he wanted to Alert his neighbors if he thought he
> was going to arrest, 1st time he tried the Air Zounds nothing happened, he forgot to pump in air
> before the ride...he figured it (still) had air from the day before.
>
> "Zippy the Pinhead" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >
> > <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > > I typed in 'falcon air horn' and the first on the list to me right to
> the
> > very product. Maybe you're not holding your mouth right.
> >
> > Well, I very seldom do. I'll try again. Thanks.

Doug...nice to see UR still working on developing a personality. The 2 mile range (is on water),
seems kinda logical it being a Marine Air Horn, be weird to say it has a 2 mile range in the woods
(when it is being sold to boaters). As for you being proud to carry an Air Zounds with a (large) 2
Litre air reserve...the Falcon Air Horn slips inside a standard Water Bottle cage and does a better
job than your 2 litre tank...but heh, you wanna carry something that BIG on your bent okay with me.
You use what you want...just don't expect anyone to copy you. (Think Darwin)
---
"Doug Huffman" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "120+ decibel sound with a 2 mile range" is specious nonsense and especially from the mechanically
> challenged.
>
> I run my Air Zond with a two liter air reservoir at 100 psi. I am quite pleased with its
> performance and cost. "2 mile range" ha, for the gullah-bull.
>
> If I really want attention then I will use the community's Shot Spotter (search on it). It must be
> better than Dial 9-1-1 else why spend more tax dollars on more rant rant rant...!
>

> "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Try using Capital Letters as in "Falcon Air Horn"...better yet, just go
> > the company website http://www.falconsafety.com Oh Yeah...in case of an emergency, you can lean
> > on a Falcon Air Horn for
> 45
> > minutes on non-stop 120+ decibel sound with a 2 mile range, try this
with
> an
> > Air Zounds. Think of places you ride that a Falcon Air Horn would be a
> good
> > tool to have...such as a nice fall on a trail, your bent is toast in a
hit
> > and run accident, fork breaks on an isolated trail, you meet a large
hungy
> > Bear and you are the only available thing on the menu etc. Having a cellphone is cool, but all
> > you do is give your current location and hope
> the
> > Bear leaves a blood trail (yours) for the person you called. Yeah, like what are the odds I'll
> > meet a Bear or Wolf or Doberman or a
> pesky
> > Wino or get hit by a car or have a large tree branch fall on me during a storm etc. I really
> > should be selling these horns. Last Spring I sold 2 Air Zounds (both returned) for Product
> > Defects. One I used Surgical tube to replace
> the
> > stock tube (same stuff btw), then the mount broke off the guys bent. He then bought
> > Falcon. Oh Yeah...this guy was prone to heart attacks and he wanted to Alert his neighbors if he
> > thought he was going to arrest, 1st time he tried the
Air
> > Zounds nothing happened, he forgot to pump in air before the ride...he figured it (still) had
> > air from the day before.

> > the
> > > very product. Maybe you're not holding your mouth right.
> > >
> > > Well, I very seldom do. I'll try again. Thanks.

I remember reading about someone who used one of his frame tubes as an air tank. Gutsy to do the
drilling and welding for the valves, but a hell of a lot of air!

One nice thing about the Air Zound is that the control can be put in a place that is very
convenient. I have mine right next to my brake. While the Falcon will be louder, the extra time it
takes to bring your fingers to the horn's control's make make that advantage mute. :>

I do not think it is a big deal inflating the Air Zound. I inflate my tires about once every two
weeks. When I do, I also recharge the Air Zound.

Andy

news:44t%[email protected]...
> And if U had a Falcon Marine Air Horn...it would have survived when your bike fell over. The
> Falcon costs less, the air supply will last years (not a few hours),
is
> not prone to failing when you need it most, there is no tubing to yellow
in
> the sun or get brittle in winter.
>
> My Horn fits inside a standard bike water bottle. You cut open the bottom
of
> the plastic water bottle and slide in the Air Horn cannister and tape the cut off area of the
> water bottle back on...so it still looks like a
standard
> water bottle in a frame mounted cage. You screw on the Trumphet with the built in push button and
> you got yourself a Bike Horn that was designed
for
> a Yacht and has a range of 2 miles....and even with the cost of one water bottle, the cage and the
> Air Horn (it is still below the cost of an Air Zounds). I consider an Air Zounds to be a wimpy
> horn when it goes up
against
> a Falcon Marine Horn.
> ----------------
> "Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Sam wrote:
> >
> > > I suppose creeping up behind someone and giving a blast isn`t a good idea..
> >
> > On the contrary, it's an *excellent* idea, but only when done to:
> >
> > a. the useless cretinous morons crossing Bishopsgate during the rush
hour,
> > or
> > b. the useless cretinous morons wandering Stoney Street at any time.
> >
> > I had an Air Zound II, but the bike fell over and it broke. Not
> impressed.
> >
> > Dave Larrington - http://legslarry.crosswinds.net/
> > Editor - British Human Power Club Newsletter
> > http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

That's how I have mine attaached to the V-REX. I use blak electrician's tape to hold the air tube to
the flip-it. "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 04 Feb 2003 03:15:42 -0000, "Hairyone" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >the air bottle is carried in a handlebar bag with my cell phone and power gel since here is no
> >place to mount the bottle
>
> I zip-tied a bottle cage to the boom of my bike to take the reservoir.
>
> Guy
> ===
> ** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com (BT ADSL and
> dynamic DNS permitting)
> NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
> work. Apologies.

Mine is where my water bottle would be. I like that its respected better than my little bell. Chas