airfree bike tires

Ken Keyes

Guest
I'm seriously thinking of putting airfree solid tires on my
Bike E recumbent. The manufacture says that I can order the
tires to simulate a set tire pressure.The ride will be the
same or better as if I were using a tube type tire. The sand
spurs and glass are taking there toll and I don't have much
faith in the extra heavy "green slim"type tubes that i'm
currently using. For the $50 or $60 bucks I feel its worth
it . Has anyone had experience with these airfree tires.

Thanks Ken

"Ken Keyes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm seriously thinking of putting airfree solid tires on
> my Bike E recumbent. The manufacture says that I can order
> the tires to simulate a set tire pressure.The ride will be
> the same or better as if I were using a tube
type
> tire. The sand spurs and glass are taking there toll and I
> don't have much faith in the extra heavy "green slim"type
> tubes that i'm currently using. For the $50 or $60 bucks I
> feel its worth it . Has anyone had experience with these
> airfree tires.
>
> Thanks Ken

I tried some a while back. They have virtually no grip and
give a jarring ride. If they are tight enough to stay on
they will be so tight as to be almost impossible to get off
without wrecking your wheel. Best avoided. peter

"Ken Keyes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm seriously thinking of putting airfree solid tires on
> my Bike E recumbent. The manufacture says that I can order
> the tires to simulate a set tire pressure.The ride will be
> the same or better as if I were using a tube
type
> tire. The sand spurs and glass are taking there toll and I
> don't have much faith in the extra heavy "green slim"type
> tubes that i'm currently using. For the $50 or $60 bucks I
> feel its worth it . Has anyone had experience with these
> airfree tires.
>
> Thanks Ken

Google for Limey Lew who posts here infrequently now, but
tested Airfree tires, you can also google for Airfree as
there have been many posts about them, most notably the
about the inability of Airfree to actually ship any to
customers. harv

I actually bought a set of these tires. I had some pretty good luck with
them using the tool. It is pretty tight, but you have to work these tires
onto your rims. I didn't bend any of them on my Bike-E CT so it was ok. I
like the ride on them, and yes, they could use some work on the actual tread
surface, but all in all it felt like regular tires. I tried the front on
first with an air tire on the back and I still couldn't tell the difference.
Good luck!
Edze
"PETER THOMPSON" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Ken Keyes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I'm seriously thinking of putting airfree solid tires on
> > my Bike E recumbent. The manufacture says that I can
> > order the tires to simulate a set tire pressure.The ride
> > will be the same or better as if I were using a tube
> type
> > tire. The sand spurs and glass are taking there toll and
> > I don't have much
faith
> > in the extra heavy "green slim"type tubes that i'm
> > currently using. For the $50 or $60 bucks I feel its
> > worth it . Has anyone had experience with these airfree
> > tires.
> >
> > Thanks Ken
> >
> I tried some a while back. They have virtually no grip and
> give a jarring ride. If they are tight enough to stay on
> they will be so tight as to be almost impossible to get
> off without wrecking your wheel. Best avoided. peter

http://www.airfreetires.com I have two sets. I really like
them. I order high pressure tires for my 250 pounds, was a
little firm. Definitely get the tool for $13. Yes, they had
their worker quit, and Hugh just got the new person trained.
Unfortunately, his business is still low volume, few
employees. I ordered a tire about a month ago. he just got
my order shipped. Look for the High Resiliency type if
available. It is the latest compound. I had a very tight fit
of a 700x32 tire onto my 27*1.25 hybrid rim. Tied the tire
in place with a bungee cord. Put in the tool and got 2/3
around. Was unable to continue with the tool. Took a large
screwdriver and lifted as small a section over the rim as I
could, and advance the tool, and repeated. I also have a
road bike with these tires. Three of my friends have them
and they all like them. Yes, the ride is a bit firms, but
sure beats having flats all the time.