Airfree tire woes

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Trikefast, Feb 25, 2003.

  1. Trikefast

    Trikefast Guest

    Hello,

    At the urging of my friend Alex who lurks in this group, I would like to relay my problems in
    dealing with Airfree Tire Corp.

    In early December I ordered a pair of 'openroad' tires. I was told that they would be sent within a
    day or so. My visa card was charged at that time. After waiting almost three months, I emailed Hugh
    at Airfree and requested a refund. He said he would send it right away. Now four months after the
    original order I have no tires, no refund, and I get no responses to my repeated emails to Airfree.

    If I lived in the US I would consider small claims court. As it is, I can only warn others about my
    experience, and suspect that I will not see my money again.

    Peter (Rans Rocket)

    P.S. Please do not suggest I call Airfree rather than email - neurological damage following a bike
    accident makes speaking on the phone almost impossible.

    Tags:

  2. Rorschandt

    Rorschandt Guest

    trikefast <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > Mikael Seierup wrote:
    >

    >>> P.S. Please do not suggest I call Airfree rather than email - neurological damage following a
    >>> bike accident makes speaking on the phone almost impossible.
    >>
    >> Not trying to be a smartass but can't you get someone else to call then?
    >
    > Tried that. My friend Alex tried on my behalf to call the 800 number - it does not appear to work
    > from here. Either way, Airfree certainly knows my concern in this matter. I might add that when I
    > was interested in purchase, Airfree responded to email within a few hours. Now that I am simply
    > trying to get my money back (as Hugh agreed to do long ago), Airfree does not respond to multiple
    > email requests that the money be sent. To me this indicates a lack of desire on their part to
    > behave honourably. Sigh. It is just too much trouble to pursue this any more.

    E-mail is not faultless. I lost a friend(sic)in part becuase his e-mail account wasn't getting
    my messages. I sent 'em, he never got 'em. Where might you be calling from that the 800#
    doesn't function?

    rorschandt

  3. Rorschandt

    Rorschandt Guest

    rorschandt <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > trikefast <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    >>> Not trying to be a smartass but can't you get someone else to call then?
    >>
    >> Tried that. My friend Alex tried on my behalf to call the 800 number - it does not appear to work
    >> from here. Either way, Airfree certainly knows my concern in this matter. I might add that when I
    >> was interested in purchase, Airfree responded to email within a few hours. Now that I am simply
    >> trying to get my money back (as Hugh agreed to do long ago), Airfree does not respond to multiple
    >> email requests that the money be sent. To me this indicates a lack of desire on their part to
    >> behave honourably. Sigh. It is just too much trouble to pursue this any more.
    >>

    > E-mail is not faultless. I lost a friend(sic)in part becuase his e-mail account wasn't getting my
    > messages. I sent 'em, he never got 'em. Where might you be calling from that the 800# doesn't
    > function?
    >
    > rorschandt

    For the helluva it, I just called the number, and got a recorded message from "Hugh at Airfree
    tire". Apparently the number works.

  4. "trikefast" skrev

    > P.S. Please do not suggest I call Airfree rather than email - neurological damage following a bike
    > accident makes speaking on the phone almost impossible.

    Not trying to be a smartass but can't you get someone else to call then?

    Regards Mikael

  5. Rorschandt

    Rorschandt Guest

    "Mikael Seierup" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > "trikefast" skrev
    >
    >> P.S. Please do not suggest I call Airfree rather than email - neurological damage following a
    >> bike accident makes speaking on the phone almost impossible.
    >
    > Not trying to be a smartass but can't you get someone else to call then?
    >
    > Regards Mikael

    probably an 800 number. I'll call for you, if you want.

    rorschandt

  6. Trikefast

    Trikefast Guest

    Mikael Seierup wrote:

    >> P.S. Please do not suggest I call Airfree rather than email - neurological damage following a
    >> bike accident makes speaking on the phone almost impossible.
    >
    > Not trying to be a smartass but can't you get someone else to call then?

    Tried that. My friend Alex tried on my behalf to call the 800 number - it does not appear to work
    from here. Either way, Airfree certainly knows my concern in this matter. I might add that when I
    was interested in purchase, Airfree responded to email within a few hours. Now that I am simply
    trying to get my money back (as Hugh agreed to do long ago), Airfree does not respond to multiple
    email requests that the money be sent. To me this indicates a lack of desire on their part to behave
    honourably. Sigh. It is just too much trouble to pursue this any more.

  7. "trikefast" skrev...
    > Tried that. My friend Alex tried on my behalf to call the 800 number - it does not appear to work
    > from here. Either way, Airfree certainly knows my concern in this matter. I might add that when I
    > was interested in purchase, Airfree responded to email within a few hours. Now that I am simply
    > trying to get my money back (as Hugh agreed to do long ago), Airfree does not respond to multiple
    > email requests that the money be sent. To me this indicates a lack of desire on their part to
    > behave honourably. Sigh. It is just too much trouble to pursue this any more.

    Well other people have reported getting refunds these last few days, so maybe you shouldn't abandon
    all hope yet.

    Regards Mikael

  8. Melisa Johns

    Melisa Johns Guest

    You purchased on a Visa card and the product was not delivered. Here in the US, you call the card
    issuer and have the charge taken off.

    Is it different where you live?

    "trikefast" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Hello,
    >
    > At the urging of my friend Alex who lurks in this group, I would like to relay my problems in
    > dealing with Airfree Tire Corp.
    >
    > In early December I ordered a pair of 'openroad' tires. I was told that
    they
    > would be sent within a day or so. My visa card was charged at that time. After waiting almost
    > three months, I emailed Hugh at Airfree and requested a refund. He said he would send it right
    > away. Now four months after the original order I have no tires, no refund, and I get no responses
    > to my repeated emails to Airfree.
    >
    > If I lived in the US I would consider small claims court. As it is, I can only warn others about
    > my experience, and suspect that I will not see my money again.
    >
    > Peter (Rans Rocket)
    >
    > P.S. Please do not suggest I call Airfree rather than email - neurological damage following a bike
    > accident makes speaking on the phone almost impossible.

  9. Paul Bruneau

    Paul Bruneau Guest

    rorschandt wrote:

    >>E-mail is not faultless. I lost a friend(sic)in part becuase his e-mail account wasn't getting my
    >>messages. I sent 'em, he never got 'em. Where might you be calling from that the 800# doesn't
    >>function?
    >>
    >>rorschandt
    >>

    > For the helluva it, I just called the number, and got a recorded message from "Hugh at Airfree
    > tire". Apparently the number works.

    800 numbers often have a region from which calls are accepted, and another region from which calls
    are excepted. My company, for instance, accepts calls from the US and Canada, but nowhere else.

    trikefast already said he doesn't live in the US. You should have left a message for Hugh to refund
    his money ;)

  10. Hugh Waters

    Hugh Waters Guest

    The gentleman who started this thread was refunded on the 16th. He made a request to cancel his
    order on Jan 30th. On the Feb 1 Air Free replied and said that Air Free would perform a chargeback
    and did so on its regularly scheduled day to issue refunds.

    Peter (Rans Rocket) needs to check his records and issue a retraction and an apology to me
    and Air Free.

    I noticed the threads got very long about the Open Road tires before anyone actually called me.
    Prediciting the death of a business or speculation without knowing the reality doesn't reflect well
    upon the fine folks I have met here and these posts are indexed by the search engines so what is
    written here will be around for a very long time. My name "Hugh Waters" has been bantered about with
    very little knowledge of the truth and I find that to be an irresponsible use of this technology and
    it has the possibility to hurt my name and the business for which I am not the only principle.

    Several recent posts in my defense are the kind of things that can really make a person feel good.
    To know that in your dealings with people that you have left a positive impression on them, so much
    to the point that even though they are almost complete strangers, will jump to defend you is a
    feeling that almost can't be described. To those I say Bravo, but if the curiously truth and
    knowledge deprived posts had never occured in the first place....

    Official Air Free Statement "A few customers were billed for Open Road tires they ordered. These
    orders occurred between Dec 1 and Dec 20. Refunds have been made to all these customers who
    indicated that they wanted to do such. Our inability to deliver the product came from a material
    substitution we had not approved so we asked that product not be shipped. Since the material
    substitution was a breach of contract we became free to explore other manufacturing possibilites.
    New manufacturing has become a reality and soon Air Free will be in a position to make a more lucid
    statement."

    Oh yes, I'm gonna make some tires. I have nothing else to do and apparently I now have
    soemthing to prove.

    Hugh

    "Melisa Johns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:b[email protected]...
    > You purchased on a Visa card and the product was not delivered. Here in
    the
    > US, you call the card issuer and have the charge taken off.
    >
    > Is it different where you live?
    >

    > "trikefast" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > At the urging of my friend Alex who lurks in this group, I would like to relay my problems in
    > > dealing with Airfree Tire Corp.
    > >
    > > In early December I ordered a pair of 'openroad' tires. I was told that
    > they
    > > would be sent within a day or so. My visa card was charged at that time. After waiting almost
    > > three months, I emailed Hugh at Airfree and
    requested
    > > a refund. He said he would send it right away. Now four months after the original order I have
    > > no tires, no refund, and I get no responses to my repeated emails to Airfree.
    > >
    > > If I lived in the US I would consider small claims court. As it is, I
    can
    > > only warn others about my experience, and suspect that I will not see my money again.
    > >
    > > Peter (Rans Rocket)
    > >
    > > P.S. Please do not suggest I call Airfree rather than email -
    neurological
    > > damage following a bike accident makes speaking on the phone almost impossible.

  11. John W

    John W Guest

    You have been telling people that the Open Roads will be ready any day now for over a year, that is
    what is hurting your name. I could see a month or maybe even two month delay but a year is
    ridiculous.

    John

    "Hugh waters" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
> [...]
    time.
    > > > After waiting almost three months, I emailed Hugh at Airfree and
    > requested
    > > > a refund. He said he would send it right away. Now four months after
    the
    > > > original order I have no tires, no refund, and I get no responses to
    my
    > > > repeated emails to Airfree.
    > > >
    > > > If I lived in the US I would consider small claims court. As it is, I
    > can
    > > > only warn others about my experience, and suspect that I will not see
    my
    > > > money again.
    > > >
    > > > Peter (Rans Rocket)
    > > >
    > > > P.S. Please do not suggest I call Airfree rather than email -
    > neurological
    > > > damage following a bike accident makes speaking on the phone almost impossible.

  12. All I saw a few months ago were people getting frustrated with the lack of Emails being answered and
    you having been on the News Group daily announcing and then defending your product...I thought it
    great having a Manufacturer being sooo open and responsive on this NG and I think everyone else was
    happy as all heck you gave soo much of your time to answer questions....then you stopped showing up
    and there was this deafening silence on your end. When people are faced with a non-responsive
    business, they get anxious and this leads to frustration and the frustration leaks out all over the
    place. You have to also understand that several companies making bents and bent accessories went
    Glug and took customers $$ with them....so Not being (as) available as you were a few months ago
    probably made these people more nervous.

    I (personally) would send out an Email to all my customers (on the day I 1st realized) there was
    going to be a shipping delay. Keeping your customers well informed keeps them calmer and makes them
    feel they are involved. Shutting customers out just makes them feel uneasy.

    I also noticed that the 1st time you addressed all these Negative posts came Only after one person
    used the evil term (Court Action). It would have been better to start answering people long before
    this evil term appeared. It implies that you (only) react when the term Court Action appears and
    that ALL the earlier posts (asking for answers) were being ignored. Perhaps the timing of your reply
    today (after) the term appeared was merely a coincidence...don't know but I hope not.

    All these negative posts most likely damaged to your company and your own reputation. I myself
    backed away from ordering some tires after reading all the unhappy customers venting their
    frustration on this NG.... But I also had trouble deciding whether to buy Velocity or CR-18 rims and
    till I figured that one out...no tires got ordered.

    You will have to do some major damage control and EARN back the customers you lost and restore your
    good name....it may take a while, but it will be worth it. Getting your wagons in a circle and
    firing back at lost customers is not the best way to go right now...it takes up too much time. Best
    route is to produce the best damn Air Free Tires you can and THAT will make you and your company
    real popular, real fast. Again though, as you point out, when people in the future go looking for
    info on your company via search engines they may see all these negative posts and shy away from your
    company...which is unfortunate but that issue is now in the past since you have reappeared and
    explained your situation.

    People do understand that businesses have problems and can be fairly sympathetic...(when you keep
    them informed). When you shut your customers out...they start to think they have been $$ screwed and
    they panic.

    Oh Yeah As for saying Peter (RANS Rocket), should issue a retraction and Grovel, this of course is
    up to Peter if he does so or not. I personally would NEVER make such a request of a customer (who)
    did have enough faith in your company and in you to have made the original purchase. Calling Peter
    out this way on a public Forum rubs me the wrong way.

    Anyway...hope everything gets smoothed out for you and your business and keep Lurking here Hugh as
    it will be far better if you address customer concerns here and via Off List Emails (when) they
    1st happen.
    ----------------------

> [...]
    time.
    > > > After waiting almost three months, I emailed Hugh at Airfree and
    > requested
    > > > a refund. He said he would send it right away. Now four months after
    the
    > > > original order I have no tires, no refund, and I get no responses to
    my
    > > > repeated emails to Airfree.
    > > >
    > > > If I lived in the US I would consider small claims court. As it is, I
    > can
    > > > only warn others about my experience, and suspect that I will not see
    my
    > > > money again.
    > > >
    > > > Peter (Rans Rocket)
    > > >
    > > > P.S. Please do not suggest I call Airfree rather than email -
    > neurological
    > > > damage following a bike accident makes speaking on the phone almost impossible.

  13. Trikefast

    Trikefast Guest

    Hugh at Airfree just sent me email (I assume he reads this newsgroup) to the effect that he sent me
    a refund via Visa some time ago. I have not received it yet, but will take him at his word.

    Thanks to all for your responses to this problem.

    Thanks, Peter (Rans Rocket)

  14. J. Morris

    J. Morris Guest

    I would contact your visa card company...better bet for getting your money back...

  15. On Tue, 25 Feb 2003 23:45:13 -0500, Paul Bruneau <[email protected]> wrote:

    >800 numbers often have a region from which calls are accepted, and another region from which calls
    >are excepted. My company, for instance, accepts calls from the US and Canada, but nowhere else.

    But you can usually call that number from outside the region - it just won't be free. When I call
    800 numbers in the US from Japan I first get a message that says "this is not a toll free call, hang
    up now or you will be charged."

  16. Paul Bruneau

    Paul Bruneau Guest

    Ken Kobayashi wrote:
    > On Tue, 25 Feb 2003 23:45:13 -0500, Paul Bruneau <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>800 numbers often have a region from which calls are accepted, and another region from which calls
    >>are excepted. My company, for instance, accepts calls from the US and Canada, but nowhere else.
    >

    > But you can usually call that number from outside the region - it just won't be free. When I call
    > 800 numbers in the US from Japan I first get a message that says "this is not a toll free call,
    > hang up now or you will be charged."

    that is a great way to do it. But when I have called them, I get an error only.

  17. "Hugh waters" <[email protected]> wrote........

    Our inability to
    > deliver the product came from a material substitution we had not approved so we asked that product
    > not be shipped. Since the material substitution was a breach of contract we became free to explore
    > other manufacturing possibilites. New manufacturing has become a reality and soon Air Free will be
    > in a position to make a more lucid statement."
    >
    > Oh yes, I'm gonna make some tires. I have nothing else to do and apparently I now have soemthing
    > to prove.
    >
    > Hugh

    Good news Hugh. I had hoped that a mfg problem had come up. I recieved my charge back about a month
    ago and hoped that things had not gone bad. I really want those tires. That high density material is
    the heart of your tire and has to be right. Please post as soon as you have tires so I can re-order.

    Still hangin' in there,

    Tom Balmer Goatbiker/V2

  18. Dave Miller

    Dave Miller Guest

    On Wed, 26 Feb 2003 08:34:35 -0500, "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >All I saw a few months ago were people getting frustrated with the lack of Emails being answered
    >and you having been on the News Group daily announcing and then defending your product...I thought
    >it great having a Manufacturer being sooo open and responsive on this NG and I think everyone else
    >was happy as all heck you gave soo much of your time to answer questions....then you stopped
    >showing up and there was this deafening silence on your end. When people are faced with a
    >non-responsive business, they get anxious and this leads to frustration and the frustration leaks
    >out all over the place. You have to also understand that several companies making bents and bent
    >accessories went Glug and took customers $$ with them....so Not being (as) available as you were a
    >few months ago probably made these people more nervous.

    Thanks for taking the time to write out what a lot of us believe. I have had a few contacts with
    Hugh via e-mail and believe him to be a stand-up guy .

    As a small biz owner myself I understand the pressures he was feeling but his silence did him a
    disservice.

    I'll order once they are SHIPPING.

  19. Dean Arthur

    Dean Arthur Guest

    trikefast wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > At the urging of my friend Alex who lurks in this group, I would like to relay my problems in
    > dealing with Airfree Tire Corp.
    >
    > In early December I ordered a pair of 'openroad' tires. I was told that they would be sent within
    > a day or so. My visa card was charged at that time. After waiting almost three months, I emailed
    > Hugh at Airfree and requested a refund. He said he would send it right away. Now four months after
    > the original order I have no tires, no refund, and I get no responses to my repeated emails to
    > Airfree.
    >
    > If I lived in the US I would consider small claims court. As it is, I can only warn others about
    > my experience, and suspect that I will not see my money again.
    >
    > Peter (Rans Rocket)
    >
    > P.S. Please do not suggest I call Airfree rather than email - neurological damage following a bike
    > accident makes speaking on the phone almost impossible.

    Turn it over to State and U.S. Atty General as Mail an/or credit card Fraud. That's what you "pay"
    taxes for, n'est ce pas?

  20. Dean Arthur

    Dean Arthur Guest

    Ken Kobayashi wrote:

    > But you can usually call that number from outside the region - it just won't be free. When I call
    > 800 numbers in the US from Japan I first get a message that says "this is not a toll free call,
    > hang up now or you will be charged."

    Ahhh, another torpedo "down the throat" of the Kobayashi Maru.

    Was ticked off by deal gone sour some years ago. Served papers on parties with escape clause:
    reimburse for all expenses including service of papers or be sued for treble damages PLUS expenses.

    Received Money Order [not company check] for full amount three days after receiving "Receipt Of
    Delivery" notification.

    To paraphrase "Tony the Tiger," works G-R-E-A-T!!