AirFree Tires of Florida

Arizona

New Member
Jan 14, 2005
Members of this forum seem pretty serious about biking and may never have considered airless urethane tires. For anyone who IS considering them, though, let me offer some advice: If you see an ad for Airfree Tires or visit their website and are tempted to order from them, please check them out first with the Better Business Bureau of Altamonte Springs, Florida. I returned mine in March of 2004 within the 90-day trial period and never received a refund, despite numerous e-mail complaints. During this time, I experienced more than a one-month delay in response to e-mails and a telephone voicemail box that was full and would accept no more messages. The BBB closed my complaint file because the company did not respond to their inquiries either. The owner of this company is Hugh Waters. At the time of my transaction, his supplier was Nu-Teck of Englewood, Colorado. My tires were drop shipped from there, and I was instructed to return them there as well. Beware!!

Air Free Tires, Inc. 104 Smith St. New Smyrna, FL. 32168

Air Free Tires is a SCAM and a RIPOFF. I was stupid enough to order tires
from them on their website:

1. They charged my credit card the same day I ordered
2. They DOUBLE billed my card for the same order
3. They NEVER shipped the merchandise to me

I called their "customer service" phone number at least 30 times,
and have NEVER spoken to a human being, only an answering machine.
After 30 voicemails and 20 e-mails, I had NO response from them.
The Florida Better Business Bureau has an "unsatisfactory" rating for
them due to failure to respond to complaints.

An e-mail to Hugh Waters received a reply which basically said, "screw you, go get a refund from your credit card provider". I finally had to e-mail my state's Attorney General's office to file a complaint. They contacted the company and Hugh promised a quick refund. Sixty days later, I again e-mailed my Attorney General and notified them that NO refund had arrived. A few days later, I got an envelope from Air Free Tires with a hand-written address, and a money order for the refund wrapped in a torn piece of notebook paper. It looked like it had been put together by a ten year old child.

So Mr. Waters refunded my money...all it took was 15 months, 30 unanswered phone calls, 20 or so unanswered e-mails and a threat of legal action by the New York State Attorney General's office.

Solid bicycle tires may or may not be right for you, but DON'T buy from this company.

Hugh from Airfree Tires ignored my requests for a refund for 5 months...
but he replied to my e-mail within a day of my original Usenet posting.
Here is a little e-mail exchange:

--- [email protected] wrote:
> often times people get thier money back by disputing the charges
> with
> thier credit card company. Spewing venom may feel good for the
> short
> term but doesn't solve anything. If you are looking for a refund
> then
> fine, but before you write things you may later regret make sure
> you
> have checked your options. If you aren't satisified with your
> customer
> experience then yours will prove to be an isolated experience but
> you
> can still get your refund via your credit card. Companies make
> mistakes
> but your actions border on malicious.
> Hugh

My reply:
I truly cannot believe you replied to me after 5 months of sending
e-mails which you ignored. And after at least 15 answering machine
messages which you also ignored. And, now, your answer is basically,
get a refund thru your bank if you want. I have read your postings
about the wonderful integrity of your company, Hugh, so why don't you
prove it and REFUND my money???
And, if my experience is an "isolated" one, why does the South
Florida Better Business Bureau have an unsatisfactory rating for you?
I did not make that up, I can forward you their e-mail. Why don't
you provide refunds to unsatisfied customers? Why don't you EVER
answer your phone and respond to complaints?

I cannot believe after months of trying, the only response from you
is to accuse me of being malicious... Do you deny double billing my
credit card? Do you deny NEVER sending me the merchandise I PAID
FOR?? You say "companies make mistakes"... sorry, Hugh, this is more
than a mistake, it is a rip-off. Are you admitting a mistake? If so,
then why should I have to go through my bank to get a refund?

Prove me wrong, Hugh...go ahead and refund my money. I regret NOTHING
I have written, because it's the truth. BTW, you owe me $200.55. My
next "option" is small claims court...

excerpt from Airfree tires thread in Your Bloody Soapbox

27-09.-2004, 08:16 AM #23
vlad
Registered User
Location: East Texas

In the past I bought airless bicycle tires from Hugh Waters at www.airfreetires.com and received good service. Although the website in still on the net, since May 2004 I have been unable to contact Mr Waters.

I now buy airless bicycle tires from KIK Tire 760-967-2777
Be aware that the tires are made to order. You must expect to wait three weeks or so for delivery.

These airless tires made of polyurethane/nylon microfoam. They have no air tube;and cannot blow out or go flat. I weigh 250lb. They give excellent ride similar IMO to Michelin WildGripper at 90psi. (I think fixing flats is a PITA and would use pneumatics again only in extremis.)

Pls note the link for each tire is from www.arifreetires.com site. I use the link only to give you detailed info about the tire.

26x1.9 Ocelot High Profile High Resilient +30% black. (actual OD 1.52")
tire requires a rim 24 mm to 27 mm inside diamteter and at least 8 mm deep. http://www.airfreetires.com/Bicycle/Legacy/26x19HR.html

26x1.9 Undirectional High Resilient +30% black. (actual tire OD 1.90")
tire requires a rim 21mm to 24mm ID, and at least 13mm deep.
http://www.airfreetires.com/Bicycle...26x19UniHR.html

I have used both Ocelot HE +30 and Unidirectional HR +30 on my Schwinn Impact which has 559-22 rims. They are excelletn/

I presently have Unidirectional HR +30 on my Trek 8000 on Shimano LX hub/Sun Mammoth rims.

We have five bikes equipped with airless tires. We like 'em.

PS ......... NOTA BENE ....... WARNING

I now buy ONLY High Resilient airless tires. Other tires NOT specifically marked HR or High resilient are a different foam. Under my 250 lb they are much too soft. Reminds me of trying to rdie through five inches of loose sand.

Teton standard foam tires ride OK for my 90 lb grandson, my 130 lb wife and others that size.

I bought two each Teton rated at 90 psi from Mr Waters. They were too soft.

I emailed Mr Waters, explained that I weighed 280 (at that time) and ordered two each Teton 160 psi. They were too soft.

To prove that I am a slow learner I then ordered two each Teton 200 psi from Mr Waters. They were too soft.

sigh so soon old. so late smart

Bill Knooihuisin at KIK Tire Inc knew exactly what I was talking about when I explained my weight, rolling resistance of tires etc. The Unidrectional HR +30 and Ocelot HR +30% are great.

I have Unidirectional HR +30 on my Schwinn Impact and Trek 8000, and have two each new unused Ocelot HR +30 and Unidirectional HR +30 in reserve.

We have high resilient airless tires from KIKTire Inc on five bikes. We like 'em.

Folk I to have been dealing with Air Free tires with no response from them. I'm willing to be malitious if need to to get a response from Hugh Waters. This company has allot of unfavorable responses to their practices. I just hope Mr. Hughes reads my message. If you do go ahead Hughes and contact me. My email is [email protected]. I also made a BBB complaint against his company because he is a total rip off.. Do not place orders with this company.. Save yourself. George Roach/Arizona

Folks I have been contacted by a competitor of Hugh Waters. I now have a personal cell phone number. I have called twice and spoke with Gail, both times i have been told hugh is out and will call me back. Again no calls from Hugh. I spoke to Gail today and she said give her two hrs to get to the office and she will call me back. Here is the number if anyone needs it. 407-283-1996. I hope this helps some...

On my commuter runs I appreciate a degree of predictability for my rides, so I've been considering airfree tires for some time. I got mine from an UK supplier called greentyre instead. Ordered mine in a rather hard compound.
Mounting was a beast, I eventually ended up using a carpenter's workbench by tying the wheel down and using the clamping action in reverse to stretch the tire over the opposite edge of the rim. Can't see myself worying about the tire coming off anytime soon.
During the first ride it was rather cold (just above freezing) and it pretty much felt like riding straight on the rim. Since then I've had warmer weather and the tire has felt fairly normal. Haven't gotten enough miles in to say anything more detailed yet.

I have airfrees on all five of our bikes since 2001.
and would use pneumatics again only in extremis
Here is a relatively easy way working alone to install airfree tires.
1. Apply liberal amount liquid hand soap to tire. The soap
dries and does no harm.
2. With cable ties secure tire to rim at two points.
3. Three inches from a cable tie use a spatula or
large flat screwdriver to lever a portion of the tire
onto the rim.
4. Repeat step 3 until all of the tire is on the rim.
5. Bounce and turn the mounted tire to seat the
tire on the rim .

You are welcome to email me if you have questions
[email protected]

PS Please see www.felixwong.com/2006/12/air-free-tires/

I actually broke a zip tie that way. that's how badly the tire wanted to come off the rim when doing the lever thing. That the enclosed spatula didn't break and shower me with shrapnel is something I can't understand´but is rather grateful for.