Airfree Tires: RIPOFF SCAM

"Tom Sherman" wrote: They would be my tires of choice for use on
wheelbarrows.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
As long as you keep the speed down.

"Benjamin Lewis" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> >> Sorry, it's a convention is some newsgroups that if something really
> >> makes you LOL, you mention that the purveyor of the comic quip has
> >> caused you to ruin your keyboard by spraying it with coffee.

> > rec.bicycles.tech doesn't seem to have an acknowledged convention for
> > that;

> That because, aside from the occasional zinger from Jobst, we're a fairly
> humourless bunch over here.
>
> However, I note that this is also cross-posted to .misc and .soc.

Over here in .misc, we're into trolls, politics and helmet wars these days.

Mike Kruger wrote:

>>> rec.bicycles.tech doesn't seem to have an acknowledged convention for
>>> that;

>> That because, aside from the occasional zinger from Jobst, we're a
>> fairly humourless bunch over here.
>>
>> However, I note that this is also cross-posted to .misc and .soc.
>>

> Over here in .misc, we're into trolls, politics and helmet wars these
> days.

Yes, I read misc too. In fact, I even made some posts to that "Troll, not
published helmet research" thread back when I was a young lad, and it was
still called "published helmet research - not troll".

--
Benjamin Lewis

I regret to say that we of the FBI are powerless to act in cases of
oral-genital intimacy, unless it has in some way obstructed interstate
commerce. -- J. Edgar Hoover

Benjamin Lewis wrote:

> Yes, I read misc too. In fact, I even made some posts to that
> "Troll, not published helmet research" thread back when I was a young
> lad, and it was still called "published helmet research - not troll".

The funny part is, Zaumie never even noticed the change in thread title :)

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at Washington
University

> Werehatrack [email protected] wrote: >Boca Raton, in
>>> particular, is recognized as the spam capitol of the planet. The most
>>> common business model in Florida is "grab the cash and run.")

>>"Boca Raton" sounds better in Spanish, but I prefer to refer to it by
>>the English translation: "Rat Mouth, Florida."

>Idiomatically, in Spanish, "raton" is "mouse", and rat is "rata",
>but...
>
>"Boca Raton" been misrepresented as "rat's mouth" in so many places
>for so long that it's like "there's a sucker born every minute"; even
>though PT Barnum never said it, the attribution now belongs to him by
>popular acclamation...and even though Boca Raton means "mouth mouse"
>in a correct Spanish-English translation, in the US it is "rat's
>mouth" in the mind of the public.
>
>I've been there. IMNSHO, it has earned the appellation.

The name is derived from the shape of the inlet, not any characteristics of the
city. Boca is quite a nice place to ride through.

Tim

Mike Kruger wrote:

>>>rec.bicycles.tech doesn't seem to have an acknowledged convention for
>>>that;

>>That because, aside from the occasional zinger from Jobst, we're a fairly
>>humourless bunch over here.
>>
>>However, I note that this is also cross-posted to .misc and .soc.
>>

> Over here in .misc, we're into trolls, politics and helmet wars these days.

Dang, is that argument still going? I marked that thread Ignore at
least a couple weeks ago.

-km

--
Only cowards fight kids -- unidentified Moscow protester
the black rose

[email protected] wrote in message:-

> I can't visualize what sort of bicycling you do with solid tires, but
> exceeding 15mph while riding over even a 1/2" step in the pavement
> will damage rims, there being insufficient compression in a
> non-pneumatic tire to absorb such shock. Just the same, there is a
> use for these tires but it is not a reasonable solution to flat tires
> considering how many thousand miles most riders cover between flats.
> I can't imagine riding 1000 miles on "Airfree Tires".
>
> Jobst Brandt
> [email protected]

Well, Jobst, I can imagine it.

I have used several varieties of Airfree Tires for about 5 years now
and have been VERY happy with them, not that I don't also have bikes
with pneumatic tires but the 2 that are shod with Airfrees (a single
speed and a fixie) are just great machines for what I use them for.

Most people don't _understand_ Airfree Tires and herein lies the
problem.

1 ) You're NOT going to win the Tour using these tires. In fact, they
may actually slow you down but NOT very much.

2 ) They are VERY 'rim specific'.

Failing to understand these two things, coupled with so many people's
ineptitude to measure thing like rims accurately, is by far the cause
of most people's dissatisfaction with them.

There are differences between Airless tires from one manufacturer to
another which cause many of them to be VERY 'recreational' and there
is only one that I have tried, that could in my opinion, be considered
a 'performance' tire.

This means that for MOST people, riding on Airfree Tires will only be
a dream, until some manufacturer starts making them in a VARIETY of
POPULAR sizes.

I live that dream and I am loving it. :)

Lewis.

************************

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> Benjamin Lewis wrote:
>
>> Yes, I read misc too. In fact, I even made some posts to that
>> "Troll, not published helmet research" thread back when I was a young
>> lad, and it was still called "published helmet research - not troll".

> The funny part is, Zaumie never even noticed the change in thread
> title :)

Now don't be bringing that sh^t down here.

Bill "it's like ebola, I tells ya" S.

Hugh from Airfree Tires ignored my requests for a refund for 5 months...
but he replied to my e-mail within a day of my original Usenet posting.
Here is a little e-mail exchange:

--- [email protected] wrote:

> often times people get thier money back by disputing the charges
> with
> thier credit card company. Spewing venom may feel good for the
> short
> term but doesn't solve anything. If you are looking for a refund
> then
> fine, but before you write things you may later regret make sure
> you
> have checked your options. If you aren't satisified with your
> customer
> experience then yours will prove to be an isolated experience but
> you
> can still get your refund via your credit card. Companies make
> mistakes
> but your actions border on malicious.
>
> Hugh

My reply:
I truly cannot believe you replied to me after 5 months of sending
e-mails which you ignored. And after at least 15 answering machine
messages which you also ignored. And, now, your answer is basically,
get a refund thru your bank if you want. I have read your postings
about the wonderful integrity of your company, Hugh, so why don't you
prove it and REFUND my money???

And, if my experience is an "isolated" one, why does the South
Florida Better Business Bureau have an unsatisfactory rating for you?
I did not make that up, I can forward you their e-mail. Why don't
you provide refunds to unsatisfied customers? Why don't you EVER
answer your phone and respond to complaints?

I cannot believe after months of trying, the only response from you
is to accuse me of being malicious... Do you deny double billing my
credit card? Do you deny NEVER sending me the merchandise I PAID
FOR?? You say "companies make mistakes"... sorry, Hugh, this is more
than a mistake, it is a rip-off. Are you admitting a mistake? If so,
then why should I have to go through my bank to get a refund?

Prove me wrong, Hugh...go ahead and refund my money. I regret NOTHING
I have written, because it's the truth. BTW, you owe me $200.55. My
next "option" is small claims court...

Wed, 15 Sep 2004 01:57:22 GMT,
<[email protected]>,
[email protected] wrote:

>I can't imagine riding 1000 miles on "Airfree Tires".

Not all at once.

I'd think them suitable, though expensive, tires for bikes that are
left on trainers.
--
zk

[email protected] wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 13:34:06 -0700, Benjamin Lewis <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>> [email protected] wrote:

>>> rec.bicycles.tech doesn't seem to have an acknowledged convention for
>>> that;

>> That because, aside from the occasional zinger from Jobst, we're a
>> fairly humourless bunch over here.

> "Zingers from Jobst"... Yeah. Right. Good thing I wasn't scritching
> the cat when I read *that* line.

Actually, believe it or not, that part of my sentence was at least
partially serious.

--

[email protected] wrote:

> I can't visualize what sort of bicycling you do with solid tires, but
> exceeding 15mph while riding over even a 1/2" step in the pavement
> will damage rims, there being insufficient compression in a
> non-pneumatic tire to absorb such shock. Just the same, there is a
> use for these tires but it is not a reasonable solution to flat tires
> considering how many thousand miles most riders cover between flats.
> I can't imagine riding 1000 miles on "Airfree Tires".
>
> Jobst Brandt
> [email protected]

I do recreational riding.
I was getting at least 1 flat a week.
Can't jump curbs with a recumbent.
I tried jumping a curb with a Waterford road bike and went over the
handlebars.
I hit a pot hole with aired tires with my recumbent, and blew the tire
and bent the rim (flared out on both sides).

On 15 Sep 2004 11:40:11 GMT, [email protected] (TDWFL) wrote:

>The name is derived from the shape of the inlet, not any characteristics of the
>city. Boca is quite a nice place to ride through.

It's not apparent from the current map or the current state of the
environs, of course, but the Spanish explorers named it for the
characterisitcs they found present in the 1500s, when the only local
people were the Tequesta. On the few surviving Spanish maps, it's
reportedly "Boca de Ratones", which was later shortened to the current
form. Idiomatically, I'm told that they may have been inferring that
this was an inlet whose surrounding area was infested with mice rather
than shaped like a mouse's mouth, though, which would fit the lack of
real physical resemblance. There is no record of what name the
natives may have had for the area. Exploration records from that era
are scant at best in any event, and the Tequesta left no written
record at all.

--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

"Praecipium munus annalium reor, ne virtutes sileantur, utque pravis
dictis, factisque ex posteritate et infamia metus sit." - Tacitus

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 16:02:27 GMT, Werehatrack
<[email protected]> wrote:

>It's not apparent from the current map or the current state of the
>environs, of course, but the Spanish explorers named it for the
>characterisitcs they found present in the 1500s, when the only local
>people were the Tequesta. On the few surviving Spanish maps, it's
>reportedly "Boca de Ratones", which was later shortened to the current
>form. Idiomatically, I'm told that they may have been inferring that
>this was an inlet whose surrounding area was infested with mice rather
>than shaped like a mouse's mouth, though, which would fit the lack of
>real physical resemblance. There is no record of what name the
>natives may have had for the area. Exploration records from that era
>are scant at best in any event, and the Tequesta left no written
>record at all.

Who can blame them for not keeping memoranda when Mark Hickey was
around?

http://www.ci.boca-raton.fl.us/econ/history.cfm

http://floridaindianmounds.com/Tequesta.htm

-------------------------------
John Dacey
Business Cycles, Miami, Florida
Since 1983
Our catalogue of track equipment: online since 1996.
http://www.businesscycles.com

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 12:59:13 -0400, John Dacey
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Praecipium munus annalium reor, ne virtutes sileantur, utque pravis
>dictis, factisque ex posteritate et infamia metus sit." - Tacitus
>
>On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 16:02:27 GMT, Werehatrack
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>It's not apparent from the current map or the current state of the
>>environs, of course, but the Spanish explorers named it for the
>>characterisitcs they found present in the 1500s, when the only local
>>people were the Tequesta. On the few surviving Spanish maps, it's
>>reportedly "Boca de Ratones", which was later shortened to the current
>>form. Idiomatically, I'm told that they may have been inferring that
>>this was an inlet whose surrounding area was infested with mice rather
>>than shaped like a mouse's mouth, though, which would fit the lack of
>>real physical resemblance. There is no record of what name the
>>natives may have had for the area. Exploration records from that era
>>are scant at best in any event, and the Tequesta left no written
>>record at all.

>Who can blame them for not keeping memoranda when Mark Hickey was
>around?
>
>http://www.ci.boca-raton.fl.us/econ/history.cfm
>
>http://floridaindianmounds.com/Tequesta.htm
>
>-------------------------------
>John Dacey
>Business Cycles, Miami, Florida
>Since 1983
>Our catalogue of track equipment: online since 1996.
>http://www.businesscycles.com

Dear John and Werehatrack,

Since written records require writing, it's a bit redundant
to say that a pre-Columbian North American Indian tribe left
no written records. For anything beyond pictographs, you
have to go south.

Carl Fogel

"Non opus est verbis, credite rebus." - Ovid
On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 14:04:03 -0600, "Indiana" Fogel wrote:

>On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 12:59:13 -0400, John Dacey
><[email protected]> wrote:

>>On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 16:02:27 GMT, Werehatrack
>><[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>It's not apparent from the current map or the current state of the
>>>environs, of course, but the Spanish explorers named it for the
>>>characterisitcs they found present in the 1500s, when the only local
>>>people were the Tequesta. <snip> There is no record of what name the
>>>natives may have had for the area. Exploration records from that era
>>>are scant at best in any event, and the Tequesta left no written
>>>record at all.

>>Who can blame them for not keeping memoranda when Mark Hickey was
>>around?
>>
>>http://www.ci.boca-raton.fl.us/econ/history.cfm
>>
>>http://floridaindianmounds.com/Tequesta.htm

>Dear John and Werehatrack,
>
>Since written records require writing, it's a bit redundant
>to say that a pre-Columbian North American Indian tribe left
>no written records. For anything beyond pictographs, you
>have to go south.
>
>Carl Fogel

I appreciate your interest in redacting a redundancy. In the same
spirit however, I encourage you to similarly reconsider your
description of a tribe's practices in the 1500s and beyond as
"pre-Columbian."

In fourteen ninety-two, Columbus sailed the ocean blue. . .
^^^^^^^
As for pictographs, they are still the principal method of
communication among primitives in Florida:
http://www.cooperativeresearch.net/timeline/people/bushatbooker.jpg

-------------------------------
John Dacey
Business Cycles, Miami, Florida
Since 1983
Our catalogue of track equipment: online since 1996.
http://www.businesscycles.com

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 11:24:10 -0400, John Dacey
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Non opus est verbis, credite rebus." - Ovid
>On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 14:04:03 -0600, "Indiana" Fogel wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 12:59:13 -0400, John Dacey
>><[email protected]> wrote:

>>>Who can blame them for not keeping memoranda when Mark Hickey was
>>>around?
>>>
>>>http://www.ci.boca-raton.fl.us/econ/history.cfm
>>>
>>>http://floridaindianmounds.com/Tequesta.htm

>>Dear John and Werehatrack,
>>
>>Since written records require writing, it's a bit redundant
>>to say that a pre-Columbian North American Indian tribe left
>>no written records. For anything beyond pictographs, you
>>have to go south.
>>
>>Carl Fogel

>I appreciate your interest in redacting a redundancy. In the same
>spirit however, I encourage you to similarly reconsider your
>description of a tribe's practices in the 1500s and beyond as
>"pre-Columbian."
>
>In fourteen ninety-two, Columbus sailed the ocean blue. . .
> ^^^^^^^
>As for pictographs, they are still the principal method of
>communication among primitives in Florida:
>http://www.cooperativeresearch.net/timeline/people/bushatbooker.jpg
>
>-------------------------------
>John Dacey
>Business Cycles, Miami, Florida
>Since 1983
>Our catalogue of track equipment: online since 1996.
>http://www.businesscycles.com

Dear John,

Can you point me to any pre-1600 records written by North
American Indian tribes?

Curiously,

Carl Fogel

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 12:20:36 -0600, [email protected] wrote:

>On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 11:24:10 -0400, John Dacey
><[email protected]> wrote:

>>>Since written records require writing, it's a bit redundant
>>>to say that a pre-Columbian North American Indian tribe left
>>>no written records. For anything beyond pictographs, you
>>>have to go south.

>>I encourage you to similarly reconsider your
>>description of a tribe's practices in the 1500s and beyond as
>>"pre-Columbian."
>>
>>In fourteen ninety-two, Columbus sailed the ocean blue. . .

>Dear John,
>
>Can you point me to any pre-1600 records written by North
>American Indian tribes?
>
>Curiously,
>
>Carl Fogel

I'm surprised you're not familiar with "Hiawatha's Shopping List"
which was shamelessly ripped off by Longfellow some centuries later as
"The Song of Hiawatha". Regrettably, the veracity of this seminal
poem by an Algonquin from the 1500s has been impeached by Republicans
for containing certain anachronisms in language and font type. Decide
for yourself:
Hiawatha's Shopping List

Honey, on your way home to me,
Pass the mall at Gitchigumee;
Don't forget to trade some pelts for
A jug or two of Schlitz malt liquor.

See the Shaman for some leeches;
Go to Zabar's for fresh peaches.
I'd love to have a warm new blanket
And beads to make a sexy anklet.

For cooking I could use new pottery
And get five tix for Friday's Lottery.
Deerskin's s'posed to have my new bra.
Be home by six or else - Minn'haha

Can you point me to any North
American Indians who, after 1500, are properly described as
PRE-Columbian?

-------------------------------
John Dacey
Business Cycles, Miami, Florida
http://www.businesscycles.com
Since 1983
Our catalog of track equipment: online since 1996
-------------------------------

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 18:35:03 -0400, John Dacey
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 12:20:36 -0600, [email protected] wrote:

>>>I encourage you to similarly reconsider your
>>>description of a tribe's practices in the 1500s and beyond as
>>>"pre-Columbian."
>>>
>>>In fourteen ninety-two, Columbus sailed the ocean blue. . .

>>Dear John,
>>
>>Can you point me to any pre-1600 records written by North
>>American Indian tribes?
>>
>>Curiously,
>>
>>Carl Fogel

>I'm surprised you're not familiar with "Hiawatha's Shopping List"
>which was shamelessly ripped off by Longfellow some centuries later as
>"The Song of Hiawatha". Regrettably, the veracity of this seminal
>poem by an Algonquin from the 1500s has been impeached by Republicans
>for containing certain anachronisms in language and font type. Decide
>for yourself:
>Hiawatha's Shopping List
>
>Honey, on your way home to me,
>Pass the mall at Gitchigumee;
>Don't forget to trade some pelts for
>A jug or two of Schlitz malt liquor.
>
>See the Shaman for some leeches;
>Go to Zabar's for fresh peaches.
>I'd love to have a warm new blanket
>And beads to make a sexy anklet.
>
>For cooking I could use new pottery
>And get five tix for Friday's Lottery.
>Deerskin's s'posed to have my new bra.
>Be home by six or else - Minn'haha
>
>Can you point me to any North
>American Indians who, after 1500, are properly described as
>PRE-Columbian?
>

>-------------------------------
>John Dacey
>Business Cycles, Miami, Florida
>http://www.businesscycles.com
>Since 1983
>Our catalog of track equipment: online since 1996
>-------------------------------

Dear John,

Okay, any written records before 1700?

Carl Fogel

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 16:53:46 -0600, [email protected] wrote:

>>>Can you point me to any pre-1600 records written by North
>>>American Indian tribes?
>>>
>>>Curiously,
>>>
>>>Carl Fogel

>>I'm surprised you're not familiar with "Hiawatha's Shopping List"
>>which was shamelessly ripped off by Longfellow some centuries later as
>>"The Song of Hiawatha". Regrettably, the veracity of this seminal
>>poem by an Algonquin from the 1500s has been impeached by Republicans
>>for containing certain anachronisms in language and font type. Decide
>>for yourself:
>>********************************************
>>Hiawatha's Shopping List
>>
>>Honey, on your way home to me,
>>Past the mall in Gitchigumee;

<snip>
>>Be home by six or else - Minn'haha
>>********************************************

>Okay, any written records before 1700?
>
>Carl Fogel

Well, the form isn't as attractive as that taken by Hiawatha's bride
in the document referenced above, but there _is_ evidence that written
records were kept:
Invoice

To: Maffachufettf Bay Colonie, Inc.
17 Rock Landing
Plimouth Plantation, New Englande

From: Squanto's Catering GmbH
Cranberry Bog
Hyannifport, Cape Codde

Event/(Date): Firft Thankfgivinge (Thurfday, November 24, 1621)

Turkey (50 @$5.00) $250.00
Pumpkin (80 @ $1.00) 80.00
Corn (9 bushels @ $4.50) 40.50
Cranberry Sauce (20 cans @ $1.00) 20.00