airless tires

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by johnson.., Aug 21, 2004.

  1. johnson..

    johnson.. Guest

    Hi
    Any of you folks using airless tires? Can you recommend a company? Thanks

    Tags:

  2. Mike Schwab

    Mike Schwab Guest

    I have http://www.airfreetires.com tires for two bicycles. However, I
    had a wheel stolen and got a replacement rim and ordered a replacement
    tire in Febuary and communications to airfree are deleted. Green tyre
    seems to be pretty poor substitue.

    "johnson.." wrote:

    > Hi
    > Any of you folks using airless tires? Can you recommend a company? Thanks

  3. Jerry Flynn

    Jerry Flynn Guest

    Mike Schwab <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I have http://www.airfreetires.com tires for two bicycles. However, I
    > had a wheel stolen and got a replacement rim and ordered a replacement
    > tire in Febuary and communications to airfree are deleted. Green tyre
    > seems to be pretty poor substitue.
    >
    > "johnson.." wrote:
    > >
    > > Hi
    > > Any of you folks using airless tires? Can you recommend a company? Thanks

    Try www.amerityre.com or www.nu-teck.com.

    I have received 20 inch and 26 inch tires from Amerityre and am happy
    with them. There does seem to be a very slight loss of
    performance, but I hate flats. It is worth it to me. They are not
    as difficult to put on as some people claim.

    As for comfort I mostly ride recumbents so it doesn't matter as much
    but on my road bike I did notice a slight difference. I just put on
    a big padded comfy seat and that made it more comfortable than it was
    originally.

    I have no experience with Nu-teck but they did supply tires to
    Airfreetires.com. I purchased 700 cc tires from airfree last year
    and loved them. Unfortunately when I ordered more tires from
    airfreetires this year I never got them. Just lots of excuses. I
    finally just had to contact my credit card company and get a refund.

    My impression is that airfreetires promises to deliver and can't.
    Maybe their suppliers cut them off. Their customer service is
    practically non-existent. Until you cancel the payment then they
    magically come up with lots of excuses......."the dog ate my tires."

    As I said Nu-Teck used to supply airfreetires so based on my
    experience I suggest trying them.

    Good luck.

    Jerry "air free tires" Flynn

    Don't criticize them until you try the newer ones.

  4. Jerry Flynn

    Jerry Flynn Guest

    Mike Schwab <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I have http://www.airfreetires.com tires for two bicycles. However, I
    > had a wheel stolen and got a replacement rim and ordered a replacement
    > tire in Febuary and communications to airfree are deleted. Green tyre
    > seems to be pretty poor substitue.
    >
    > "johnson.." wrote:
    > >
    > > Hi
    > > Any of you folks using airless tires? Can you recommend a company? Thanks

    Well I would recommend trying www.amerityre.com or www.nu-teck.com

    Nu-tech used to supply airfreetires.com. I bought from airfreetires
    last year and had good luck with a pair of 700cc tires for my
    roadbike. I ordered from them this year and had to get a refund from
    my credit card company. No response, ignored emails etc

    I bought both 20 and 26 inch tires from amerityre and have had good
    luck.

    Don't believe the negativity on airless tires. I love them. There
    does seem to be a very slight loss in speed performance and comfort
    but the loss is slight. I think the airless tires of today are much
    better than the tires of the 70's that everyone badmouths.

    Unlike most people who post to this thread I actually use them.
    Mostly on recumbents since I am a recent recumbent convert.

  5. johnson..

    johnson.. Guest

    thanks Jerry for the links.
    I emailed both companies to see if they will be adding pictures to there
    websites in the future.

    "Jerry Flynn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Mike Schwab <[email protected]> wrote in message

    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > I have http://www.airfreetires.com tires for two bicycles. However, I
    > > had a wheel stolen and got a replacement rim and ordered a replacement
    > > tire in Febuary and communications to airfree are deleted. Green tyre
    > > seems to be pretty poor substitue.
    > >
    > > "johnson.." wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Hi
    > > > Any of you folks using airless tires? Can you recommend a company?

    Thanks

    > Try www.amerityre.com or www.nu-teck.com.
    >
    > I have received 20 inch and 26 inch tires from Amerityre and am happy
    > with them. There does seem to be a very slight loss of
    > performance, but I hate flats. It is worth it to me. They are not
    > as difficult to put on as some people claim.
    >
    > As for comfort I mostly ride recumbents so it doesn't matter as much
    > but on my road bike I did notice a slight difference. I just put on
    > a big padded comfy seat and that made it more comfortable than it was
    > originally.
    >
    > I have no experience with Nu-teck but they did supply tires to
    > Airfreetires.com. I purchased 700 cc tires from airfree last year
    > and loved them. Unfortunately when I ordered more tires from
    > airfreetires this year I never got them. Just lots of excuses. I
    > finally just had to contact my credit card company and get a refund.
    >
    > My impression is that airfreetires promises to deliver and can't.
    > Maybe their suppliers cut them off. Their customer service is
    > practically non-existent. Until you cancel the payment then they
    > magically come up with lots of excuses......."the dog ate my tires."
    >
    > As I said Nu-Teck used to supply airfreetires so based on my
    > experience I suggest trying them.
    >
    > Good luck.
    >
    > Jerry "air free tires" Flynn
    >
    > Don't criticize them until you try the newer ones.

  6. Here are some opinions of Airfree tires that may interest you:-
    http://www.cyclingforums.com/t39155.html

    Personally I love them and have been using them for about 5 years, on
    a variety of bikes.

    By far the best model, in my opinion, is the one that only comes in
    size 27". Obviously, to use this size, I had to build wheels, as most
    wheels are 700C.

    Hugh Waters used to carry this tire at www.airfreetires.com but he
    seems to have discontinued it now.

    The last ones I got were from the manufacturer:- KIK Tire Inc
    760-967-2777 (ask for Bill)

    Hope this helps.

    Lewis.

    ******************************

    [email protected] (Jerry Flynn) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Mike Schwab <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > I have http://www.airfreetires.com tires for two bicycles. However, I
    > > had a wheel stolen and got a replacement rim and ordered a replacement
    > > tire in Febuary and communications to airfree are deleted. Green tyre
    > > seems to be pretty poor substitue.
    > >
    > > "johnson.." wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Hi
    > > > Any of you folks using airless tires? Can you recommend a company? Thanks

    > Well I would recommend trying www.amerityre.com or www.nu-teck.com
    >
    > Nu-tech used to supply airfreetires.com. I bought from airfreetires
    > last year and had good luck with a pair of 700cc tires for my
    > roadbike. I ordered from them this year and had to get a refund from
    > my credit card company. No response, ignored emails etc
    >
    > I bought both 20 and 26 inch tires from amerityre and have had good
    > luck.
    >
    > Don't believe the negativity on airless tires. I love them. There
    > does seem to be a very slight loss in speed performance and comfort
    > but the loss is slight. I think the airless tires of today are much
    > better than the tires of the 70's that everyone badmouths.
    >
    > Unlike most people who post to this thread I actually use them.
    > Mostly on recumbents since I am a recent recumbent convert.

  7. BTW here is a webpage for KIK Tires.

    http://www.kiktire.com/co_profile.html

    Lewis.

    *********************************

    [email protected] (Jerry Flynn) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Mike Schwab <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > I have http://www.airfreetires.com tires for two bicycles. However, I
    > > had a wheel stolen and got a replacement rim and ordered a replacement
    > > tire in Febuary and communications to airfree are deleted. Green tyre
    > > seems to be pretty poor substitue.
    > >
    > > "johnson.." wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Hi
    > > > Any of you folks using airless tires? Can you recommend a company? Thanks

    > Well I would recommend trying www.amerityre.com or www.nu-teck.com
    >
    > Nu-tech used to supply airfreetires.com. I bought from airfreetires
    > last year and had good luck with a pair of 700cc tires for my
    > roadbike. I ordered from them this year and had to get a refund from
    > my credit card company. No response, ignored emails etc
    >
    > I bought both 20 and 26 inch tires from amerityre and have had good
    > luck.
    >
    > Don't believe the negativity on airless tires. I love them. There
    > does seem to be a very slight loss in speed performance and comfort
    > but the loss is slight. I think the airless tires of today are much
    > better than the tires of the 70's that everyone badmouths.
    >
    > Unlike most people who post to this thread I actually use them.
    > Mostly on recumbents since I am a recent recumbent convert.

  8. johnson..

    johnson.. Guest

    thanks for the link Lewis...now if only kik would put some specs on there
    website.

    "Lewis Campbell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > BTW here is a webpage for KIK Tires.
    >
    > http://www.kiktire.com/co_profile.html
    >
    > Lewis.
    >
    > *********************************
    >

    > [email protected] (Jerry Flynn) wrote in message

    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Mike Schwab <[email protected]> wrote in message

    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > I have http://www.airfreetires.com tires for two bicycles. However, I
    > > > had a wheel stolen and got a replacement rim and ordered a replacement
    > > > tire in Febuary and communications to airfree are deleted. Green tyre
    > > > seems to be pretty poor substitue.

    company? Thanks

    > > Well I would recommend trying www.amerityre.com or www.nu-teck.com
    > >
    > > Nu-tech used to supply airfreetires.com. I bought from airfreetires
    > > last year and had good luck with a pair of 700cc tires for my
    > > roadbike. I ordered from them this year and had to get a refund from
    > > my credit card company. No response, ignored emails etc
    > >
    > > I bought both 20 and 26 inch tires from amerityre and have had good
    > > luck.
    > >
    > > Don't believe the negativity on airless tires. I love them. There
    > > does seem to be a very slight loss in speed performance and comfort
    > > but the loss is slight. I think the airless tires of today are much
    > > better than the tires of the 70's that everyone badmouths.
    > >
    > > Unlike most people who post to this thread I actually use them.
    > > Mostly on recumbents since I am a recent recumbent convert.

  9. johnson..

    johnson.. Guest

    Thanks. Interesting reading, especially about bikeforums.com. Mention a
    specific product and get accused of spamming.

    "Lewis Campbell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Here are some opinions of Airfree tires that may interest you:-
    > http://www.cyclingforums.com/t39155.html
    >
    > Personally I love them and have been using them for about 5 years, on
    > a variety of bikes.
    >
    > By far the best model, in my opinion, is the one that only comes in
    > size 27". Obviously, to use this size, I had to build wheels, as most
    > wheels are 700C.
    >
    > Hugh Waters used to carry this tire at www.airfreetires.com but he
    > seems to have discontinued it now.
    >
    > The last ones I got were from the manufacturer:- KIK Tire Inc
    > 760-967-2777 (ask for Bill)
    >
    > Hope this helps.
    >
    > Lewis.
    >
    > ******************************
    >

    > [email protected] (Jerry Flynn) wrote in message

    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Mike Schwab <[email protected]> wrote in message

    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > I have http://www.airfreetires.com tires for two bicycles. However, I
    > > > had a wheel stolen and got a replacement rim and ordered a replacement
    > > > tire in Febuary and communications to airfree are deleted. Green tyre
    > > > seems to be pretty poor substitue.

    company? Thanks

    > > Well I would recommend trying www.amerityre.com or www.nu-teck.com
    > >
    > > Nu-tech used to supply airfreetires.com. I bought from airfreetires
    > > last year and had good luck with a pair of 700cc tires for my
    > > roadbike. I ordered from them this year and had to get a refund from
    > > my credit card company. No response, ignored emails etc
    > >
    > > I bought both 20 and 26 inch tires from amerityre and have had good
    > > luck.
    > >
    > > Don't believe the negativity on airless tires. I love them. There
    > > does seem to be a very slight loss in speed performance and comfort
    > > but the loss is slight. I think the airless tires of today are much
    > > better than the tires of the 70's that everyone badmouths.
    > >
    > > Unlike most people who post to this thread I actually use them.
    > > Mostly on recumbents since I am a recent recumbent convert.

  10. > Interesting reading, especially about bikeforums.com.
    > Mention a specific product and get accused of spamming.

    Not to mention the lot of thin-skinned, bawling crybabies!

    Now I understand why they huddle behind the nanny's skirt in their
    moderated little forum, instead of posting out here in the big, scary
    Newsgroups amongst us savages.

    Jerry Flynn wrote:

    > I think the airless tires of today are much better than
    > the tires of the 70's that everyone badmouths.

    I *know* they are: the solid vinyl tyres I rode during 1980-81 were
    rock-hard and extremely slippery, especially in wet weather; a
    generation later, my son has ridden contemporary airless tyres on his
    BMX bike for the past two years, and they are virtually
    indistinguishable from ordinary pneumatic tyres.

  11. I agree with you, they don't have much of a website, do they?

    Anyway, this is the gentleman that I contacted and he seemed to be
    both helpful and knowledgeable.

    William M. Knooihuizen
    Oceanside, CA Phone: (760) 967-2777
    Fax: (760) 967-4071
    E-mail: [email protected]

    Hope this helps.

    Lewis.

    "johnson.." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > thanks for the link Lewis...now if only kik would put some specs on there
    > website.
    >

    > "Lewis Campbell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > BTW here is a webpage for KIK Tires.
    > >
    > > http://www.kiktire.com/co_profile.html
    > >
    > > Lewis.
    > >
    > > *********************************
    > >

    > > [email protected] (Jerry Flynn) wrote in message

    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > Mike Schwab <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > news:<[email protected]>...

    > company? Thanks
    > > >

    > > > Well I would recommend trying www.amerityre.com or www.nu-teck.com
    > > >
    > > > Nu-tech used to supply airfreetires.com. I bought from airfreetires
    > > > last year and had good luck with a pair of 700cc tires for my
    > > > roadbike. I ordered from them this year and had to get a refund from
    > > > my credit card company. No response, ignored emails etc
    > > >
    > > > I bought both 20 and 26 inch tires from amerityre and have had good
    > > > luck.
    > > >
    > > > Don't believe the negativity on airless tires. I love them. There
    > > > does seem to be a very slight loss in speed performance and comfort
    > > > but the loss is slight. I think the airless tires of today are much
    > > > better than the tires of the 70's that everyone badmouths.
    > > >
    > > > Unlike most people who post to this thread I actually use them.
    > > > Mostly on recumbents since I am a recent recumbent convert.

  12. johnson..

    johnson.. Guest

    thanks Lewis!!

    "Lewis Campbell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I agree with you, they don't have much of a website, do they?
    >
    > Anyway, this is the gentleman that I contacted and he seemed to be
    > both helpful and knowledgeable.
    >
    > William M. Knooihuizen
    > Oceanside, CA Phone: (760) 967-2777
    > Fax: (760) 967-4071
    > E-mail: [email protected]
    >
    > Hope this helps.
    >
    > Lewis.

    > "johnson.." <[email protected]> wrote in message

    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > thanks for the link Lewis...now if only kik would put some specs on

    there
    > > website.
    > >

    > > "Lewis Campbell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]
    > > > BTW here is a webpage for KIK Tires.
    > > >
    > > > http://www.kiktire.com/co_profile.html
    > > >
    > > > Lewis.
    > > >
    > > > *********************************
    > > >

    > > > [email protected] (Jerry Flynn) wrote in message

    > > news:<[email protected]>...

    > > news:<[email protected]>...

    However, I

    replacement

    tyre

    > > company? Thanks

    airfreetires

    from

    There

  13. Edze

    Edze Guest

    I use these tires. I did the same thing when I was contemplating purchasing
    these for my bent ( posted to this newsgroup). People's responses were very
    helpful and accurate. I prefer the air tires for mountain biking on my DF
    cannondale, but prefer these tires for my road bent. I ride a Bike E CT with
    a screw bolt combination for the rear tire. For some reason the CT didn't
    come as a quick release system so as you can imagine changing or patching on
    the road would take quite a bit of work. I wanted a replacement that would
    have the same characteristics as air tires minus the possibility of a
    flat...after e-mailing AirFree tires, the owner was very quick to respond
    back regarding a tire suitable for my needs. I bought the tool that makes
    putting these tires on "easier" which was worth it. I ordered my tires with
    85 psi equivalency, and, being skeptical at first, only tried it on the
    front tire. After riding it for a few miles, I almost forgot I was riding
    with a solid tire! It wasn't until I looked down at the rim that I noticed
    there wasn't an air valve. I was rather pleased so I changed the other one
    out too. If you're thinking of investing in these, I'd say go for it! I
    haven't done a long distance ride yet, but I imagine I will before the
    summer is over. San Diego is rather "hilly" in areas where I live, but I
    manage. Hope this additional information is helpful and good luck!
    Ed

  14. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Edze wrote:

    > ...I ride a Bike E CT with a screw bolt combination for the rear tire. For some
    > reason the CT didn't come as a quick release system so as you can imagine changing
    > or patching on the road would take quite a bit of work....

    The BikeE CT does not have a quick release for the rear wheel, since the
    Sachs/SRAM 3x7 hub did not include one.

    I have a bike with a 3x7 hub, and the difficulty of removing and
    replacing the rear wheel is not that difficult. [1]

    [1] Some of the internally geared hubs with built in brakes can take
    more disassembly to remove.

    --
    Tom Sherman – Curmudgeon and Pedant