airless tires

johnson..

Guest
Hi
Any of you folks using airless tires? Can you recommend a company? Thanks

I have http://www.airfreetires.com tires for two bicycles. However, I
had a wheel stolen and got a replacement rim and ordered a replacement
tire in Febuary and communications to airfree are deleted. Green tyre
seems to be pretty poor substitue.

Mike Schwab <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I have http://www.airfreetires.com tires for two bicycles. However, I
> had a wheel stolen and got a replacement rim and ordered a replacement
> tire in Febuary and communications to airfree are deleted. Green tyre
> seems to be pretty poor substitue.
>
> "johnson.." wrote:
> >
> > Hi
> > Any of you folks using airless tires? Can you recommend a company? Thanks

Try www.amerityre.com or www.nu-teck.com.

I have received 20 inch and 26 inch tires from Amerityre and am happy
with them. There does seem to be a very slight loss of
performance, but I hate flats. It is worth it to me. They are not
as difficult to put on as some people claim.

As for comfort I mostly ride recumbents so it doesn't matter as much
but on my road bike I did notice a slight difference. I just put on
a big padded comfy seat and that made it more comfortable than it was
originally.

I have no experience with Nu-teck but they did supply tires to
Airfreetires.com. I purchased 700 cc tires from airfree last year
and loved them. Unfortunately when I ordered more tires from
airfreetires this year I never got them. Just lots of excuses. I
finally just had to contact my credit card company and get a refund.

My impression is that airfreetires promises to deliver and can't.
Maybe their suppliers cut them off. Their customer service is
practically non-existent. Until you cancel the payment then they
magically come up with lots of excuses......."the dog ate my tires."

As I said Nu-Teck used to supply airfreetires so based on my
experience I suggest trying them.

Good luck.

Jerry "air free tires" Flynn

Don't criticize them until you try the newer ones.

Mike Schwab <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I have http://www.airfreetires.com tires for two bicycles. However, I
> had a wheel stolen and got a replacement rim and ordered a replacement
> tire in Febuary and communications to airfree are deleted. Green tyre
> seems to be pretty poor substitue.
>
> "johnson.." wrote:
> >
> > Hi
> > Any of you folks using airless tires? Can you recommend a company? Thanks

Well I would recommend trying www.amerityre.com or www.nu-teck.com

Nu-tech used to supply airfreetires.com. I bought from airfreetires
last year and had good luck with a pair of 700cc tires for my
roadbike. I ordered from them this year and had to get a refund from
my credit card company. No response, ignored emails etc

I bought both 20 and 26 inch tires from amerityre and have had good
luck.

Don't believe the negativity on airless tires. I love them. There
does seem to be a very slight loss in speed performance and comfort
but the loss is slight. I think the airless tires of today are much
better than the tires of the 70's that everyone badmouths.

Unlike most people who post to this thread I actually use them.
Mostly on recumbents since I am a recent recumbent convert.

thanks Jerry for the links.
I emailed both companies to see if they will be adding pictures to there
websites in the future.

"Jerry Flynn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Mike Schwab <[email protected]> wrote in message

news:<[email protected]>...
> > I have http://www.airfreetires.com tires for two bicycles. However, I
> > had a wheel stolen and got a replacement rim and ordered a replacement
> > tire in Febuary and communications to airfree are deleted. Green tyre
> > seems to be pretty poor substitue.
> >
> > "johnson.." wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi
> > > Any of you folks using airless tires? Can you recommend a company?

Thanks

> Try www.amerityre.com or www.nu-teck.com.
>
> I have received 20 inch and 26 inch tires from Amerityre and am happy
> with them. There does seem to be a very slight loss of
> performance, but I hate flats. It is worth it to me. They are not
> as difficult to put on as some people claim.
>
> As for comfort I mostly ride recumbents so it doesn't matter as much
> but on my road bike I did notice a slight difference. I just put on
> a big padded comfy seat and that made it more comfortable than it was
> originally.
>
> I have no experience with Nu-teck but they did supply tires to
> Airfreetires.com. I purchased 700 cc tires from airfree last year
> and loved them. Unfortunately when I ordered more tires from
> airfreetires this year I never got them. Just lots of excuses. I
> finally just had to contact my credit card company and get a refund.
>
> My impression is that airfreetires promises to deliver and can't.
> Maybe their suppliers cut them off. Their customer service is
> practically non-existent. Until you cancel the payment then they
> magically come up with lots of excuses......."the dog ate my tires."
>
> As I said Nu-Teck used to supply airfreetires so based on my
> experience I suggest trying them.
>
> Good luck.
>
> Jerry "air free tires" Flynn
>
> Don't criticize them until you try the newer ones.

Here are some opinions of Airfree tires that may interest you:-
http://www.cyclingforums.com/t39155.html

Personally I love them and have been using them for about 5 years, on
a variety of bikes.

By far the best model, in my opinion, is the one that only comes in
size 27". Obviously, to use this size, I had to build wheels, as most
wheels are 700C.

Hugh Waters used to carry this tire at www.airfreetires.com but he
seems to have discontinued it now.

The last ones I got were from the manufacturer:- KIK Tire Inc
760-967-2777 (ask for Bill)

Hope this helps.

Lewis.

******************************

[email protected] (Jerry Flynn) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Mike Schwab <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > I have http://www.airfreetires.com tires for two bicycles. However, I
> > had a wheel stolen and got a replacement rim and ordered a replacement
> > tire in Febuary and communications to airfree are deleted. Green tyre
> > seems to be pretty poor substitue.
> >
> > "johnson.." wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi
> > > Any of you folks using airless tires? Can you recommend a company? Thanks

> Well I would recommend trying www.amerityre.com or www.nu-teck.com
>
> Nu-tech used to supply airfreetires.com. I bought from airfreetires
> last year and had good luck with a pair of 700cc tires for my
> roadbike. I ordered from them this year and had to get a refund from
> my credit card company. No response, ignored emails etc
>
> I bought both 20 and 26 inch tires from amerityre and have had good
> luck.
>
> Don't believe the negativity on airless tires. I love them. There
> does seem to be a very slight loss in speed performance and comfort
> but the loss is slight. I think the airless tires of today are much
> better than the tires of the 70's that everyone badmouths.
>
> Unlike most people who post to this thread I actually use them.
> Mostly on recumbents since I am a recent recumbent convert.

BTW here is a webpage for KIK Tires.

http://www.kiktire.com/co_profile.html

Lewis.

*********************************

[email protected] (Jerry Flynn) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Mike Schwab <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > I have http://www.airfreetires.com tires for two bicycles. However, I
> > had a wheel stolen and got a replacement rim and ordered a replacement
> > tire in Febuary and communications to airfree are deleted. Green tyre
> > seems to be pretty poor substitue.
> >
> > "johnson.." wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi
> > > Any of you folks using airless tires? Can you recommend a company? Thanks

> Well I would recommend trying www.amerityre.com or www.nu-teck.com
>
> Nu-tech used to supply airfreetires.com. I bought from airfreetires
> last year and had good luck with a pair of 700cc tires for my
> roadbike. I ordered from them this year and had to get a refund from
> my credit card company. No response, ignored emails etc
>
> I bought both 20 and 26 inch tires from amerityre and have had good
> luck.
>
> Don't believe the negativity on airless tires. I love them. There
> does seem to be a very slight loss in speed performance and comfort
> but the loss is slight. I think the airless tires of today are much
> better than the tires of the 70's that everyone badmouths.
>
> Unlike most people who post to this thread I actually use them.
> Mostly on recumbents since I am a recent recumbent convert.

thanks for the link Lewis...now if only kik would put some specs on there
website.

"Lewis Campbell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> BTW here is a webpage for KIK Tires.
>
> http://www.kiktire.com/co_profile.html
>
> Lewis.
>
> *********************************
>

> [email protected] (Jerry Flynn) wrote in message

news:<[email protected]>...
> > Mike Schwab <[email protected]> wrote in message

news:<[email protected]>...
> > > I have http://www.airfreetires.com tires for two bicycles. However, I
> > > had a wheel stolen and got a replacement rim and ordered a replacement
> > > tire in Febuary and communications to airfree are deleted. Green tyre
> > > seems to be pretty poor substitue.

company? Thanks

> > Well I would recommend trying www.amerityre.com or www.nu-teck.com
> >
> > Nu-tech used to supply airfreetires.com. I bought from airfreetires
> > last year and had good luck with a pair of 700cc tires for my
> > roadbike. I ordered from them this year and had to get a refund from
> > my credit card company. No response, ignored emails etc
> >
> > I bought both 20 and 26 inch tires from amerityre and have had good
> > luck.
> >
> > Don't believe the negativity on airless tires. I love them. There
> > does seem to be a very slight loss in speed performance and comfort
> > but the loss is slight. I think the airless tires of today are much
> > better than the tires of the 70's that everyone badmouths.
> >
> > Unlike most people who post to this thread I actually use them.
> > Mostly on recumbents since I am a recent recumbent convert.

Thanks. Interesting reading, especially about bikeforums.com. Mention a
specific product and get accused of spamming.

"Lewis Campbell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Here are some opinions of Airfree tires that may interest you:-
> http://www.cyclingforums.com/t39155.html
>
> Personally I love them and have been using them for about 5 years, on
> a variety of bikes.
>
> By far the best model, in my opinion, is the one that only comes in
> size 27". Obviously, to use this size, I had to build wheels, as most
> wheels are 700C.
>
> Hugh Waters used to carry this tire at www.airfreetires.com but he
> seems to have discontinued it now.
>
> The last ones I got were from the manufacturer:- KIK Tire Inc
> 760-967-2777 (ask for Bill)
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Lewis.
>
> ******************************
>

> [email protected] (Jerry Flynn) wrote in message

news:<[email protected]>...
> > Mike Schwab <[email protected]> wrote in message

news:<[email protected]>...
> > > I have http://www.airfreetires.com tires for two bicycles. However, I
> > > had a wheel stolen and got a replacement rim and ordered a replacement
> > > tire in Febuary and communications to airfree are deleted. Green tyre
> > > seems to be pretty poor substitue.

company? Thanks

> > Well I would recommend trying www.amerityre.com or www.nu-teck.com
> >
> > Nu-tech used to supply airfreetires.com. I bought from airfreetires
> > last year and had good luck with a pair of 700cc tires for my
> > roadbike. I ordered from them this year and had to get a refund from
> > my credit card company. No response, ignored emails etc
> >
> > I bought both 20 and 26 inch tires from amerityre and have had good
> > luck.
> >
> > Don't believe the negativity on airless tires. I love them. There
> > does seem to be a very slight loss in speed performance and comfort
> > but the loss is slight. I think the airless tires of today are much
> > better than the tires of the 70's that everyone badmouths.
> >
> > Unlike most people who post to this thread I actually use them.
> > Mostly on recumbents since I am a recent recumbent convert.

> Interesting reading, especially about bikeforums.com.
> Mention a specific product and get accused of spamming.

Not to mention the lot of thin-skinned, bawling crybabies!

Now I understand why they huddle behind the nanny's skirt in their
moderated little forum, instead of posting out here in the big, scary
Newsgroups amongst us savages.

Jerry Flynn wrote:

> I think the airless tires of today are much better than
> the tires of the 70's that everyone badmouths.

I *know* they are: the solid vinyl tyres I rode during 1980-81 were
rock-hard and extremely slippery, especially in wet weather; a
generation later, my son has ridden contemporary airless tyres on his
BMX bike for the past two years, and they are virtually
indistinguishable from ordinary pneumatic tyres.

I agree with you, they don't have much of a website, do they?

Anyway, this is the gentleman that I contacted and he seemed to be
both helpful and knowledgeable.

William M. Knooihuizen
Oceanside, CA Phone: (760) 967-2777
Fax: (760) 967-4071
E-mail: [email protected]

Hope this helps.

Lewis.

"johnson.." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> thanks for the link Lewis...now if only kik would put some specs on there
> website.
>

> "Lewis Campbell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > BTW here is a webpage for KIK Tires.
> >
> > http://www.kiktire.com/co_profile.html
> >
> > Lewis.
> >
> > *********************************
> >

> > [email protected] (Jerry Flynn) wrote in message

> news:<[email protected]>...
> > > Mike Schwab <[email protected]> wrote in message

> news:<[email protected]>...

> company? Thanks
> > >

> > > Well I would recommend trying www.amerityre.com or www.nu-teck.com
> > >
> > > Nu-tech used to supply airfreetires.com. I bought from airfreetires
> > > last year and had good luck with a pair of 700cc tires for my
> > > roadbike. I ordered from them this year and had to get a refund from
> > > my credit card company. No response, ignored emails etc
> > >
> > > I bought both 20 and 26 inch tires from amerityre and have had good
> > > luck.
> > >
> > > Don't believe the negativity on airless tires. I love them. There
> > > does seem to be a very slight loss in speed performance and comfort
> > > but the loss is slight. I think the airless tires of today are much
> > > better than the tires of the 70's that everyone badmouths.
> > >
> > > Unlike most people who post to this thread I actually use them.
> > > Mostly on recumbents since I am a recent recumbent convert.

thanks Lewis!!

"Lewis Campbell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I agree with you, they don't have much of a website, do they?
>
> Anyway, this is the gentleman that I contacted and he seemed to be
> both helpful and knowledgeable.
>
> William M. Knooihuizen
> Oceanside, CA Phone: (760) 967-2777
> Fax: (760) 967-4071
> E-mail: [email protected]
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Lewis.

> "johnson.." <[email protected]> wrote in message

news:<[email protected]>...
> > thanks for the link Lewis...now if only kik would put some specs on

there
> > website.
> >

> > "Lewis Campbell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > BTW here is a webpage for KIK Tires.
> > >
> > > http://www.kiktire.com/co_profile.html
> > >
> > > Lewis.
> > >
> > > *********************************
> > >

> > > [email protected] (Jerry Flynn) wrote in message

> > news:<[email protected]>...

> > news:<[email protected]>...

However, I

replacement

tyre

> > company? Thanks

airfreetires

from

There

I use these tires. I did the same thing when I was contemplating purchasing
these for my bent ( posted to this newsgroup). People's responses were very
helpful and accurate. I prefer the air tires for mountain biking on my DF
cannondale, but prefer these tires for my road bent. I ride a Bike E CT with
a screw bolt combination for the rear tire. For some reason the CT didn't
come as a quick release system so as you can imagine changing or patching on
the road would take quite a bit of work. I wanted a replacement that would
have the same characteristics as air tires minus the possibility of a
flat...after e-mailing AirFree tires, the owner was very quick to respond
back regarding a tire suitable for my needs. I bought the tool that makes
putting these tires on "easier" which was worth it. I ordered my tires with
85 psi equivalency, and, being skeptical at first, only tried it on the
front tire. After riding it for a few miles, I almost forgot I was riding
with a solid tire! It wasn't until I looked down at the rim that I noticed
there wasn't an air valve. I was rather pleased so I changed the other one
out too. If you're thinking of investing in these, I'd say go for it! I
haven't done a long distance ride yet, but I imagine I will before the
summer is over. San Diego is rather "hilly" in areas where I live, but I
manage. Hope this additional information is helpful and good luck!
Ed

Edze wrote:

> ...I ride a Bike E CT with a screw bolt combination for the rear tire. For some
> reason the CT didn't come as a quick release system so as you can imagine changing
> or patching on the road would take quite a bit of work....

The BikeE CT does not have a quick release for the rear wheel, since the
Sachs/SRAM 3x7 hub did not include one.

I have a bike with a 3x7 hub, and the difficulty of removing and
replacing the rear wheel is not that difficult. [1]

[1] Some of the internally geared hubs with built in brakes can take
more disassembly to remove.

--
Tom Sherman – Curmudgeon and Pedant