Airline bicycle policies

Mike Jacoubowsky

Guest
Ouch. Just found out the obvious... anyone familiar with air travel has
learned by now about the reduction in allowable weight from 70 to 50lbs per
piece of checked baggage (unless you have high status with the airline). So
I called to ask about bicycles on International flights (happen to be
heading to France in a couple days... can't imagine why...) and was told, as
I expected, that the same weight limit applied to bicycles. 50lbs. So I
asked about the overweight charge. $127. Each way!!!

Unfortunately, while my bicycle is lighter than air, the case isn't. 18lb
bike in a 33lb case. The math looks bad. Along with any possibilities of
stuffing bike clothes in there.

So looks like it's time for Plan B. Can't use my wonderful Tri-All-3 case,
and will have to use one of the super-duper boxes Trek ships their high-end
bikes in. I'm not worried about the bike surviving; we have yet to see UPS
or an airline mangle a bike in one of those boxes. But it's a pain to
disassemble a bike enough to fit into one, and even more of a pain to haul
the box around a huge airport. May have to figure a way to mount wheels onto
it.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 05:05:14 GMT, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Ouch. Just found out the obvious... anyone familiar with air travel has
>learned by now about the reduction in allowable weight from 70 to 50lbs per
>piece of checked baggage (unless you have high status with the airline). So
>I called to ask about bicycles on International flights (happen to be
>heading to France in a couple days... can't imagine why...) and was told, as
>I expected, that the same weight limit applied to bicycles. 50lbs. So I
>asked about the overweight charge. $127. Each way!!!
>
>Unfortunately, while my bicycle is lighter than air, the case isn't. 18lb
>bike in a 33lb case. The math looks bad. Along with any possibilities of
>stuffing bike clothes in there.
>
>So looks like it's time for Plan B. Can't use my wonderful Tri-All-3 case,
>and will have to use one of the super-duper boxes Trek ships their high-end
>bikes in. I'm not worried about the bike surviving; we have yet to see UPS
>or an airline mangle a bike in one of those boxes. But it's a pain to
>disassemble a bike enough to fit into one, and even more of a pain to haul
>the box around a huge airport. May have to figure a way to mount wheels onto
>it.
>
>--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
>www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

A year ago BA, IIRC, didn't have a max weight for a bike, it did count
as one piece of luggage though.

> A year ago BA, IIRC, didn't have a max weight for a bike, it did count
> as one piece of luggage though.

Unfortunately, as airlines look for new ways to enhance revenues, much has
changed in the past year or so.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

news:[email protected]...

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
> Ouch. Just found out the obvious... anyone familiar with air travel has
> learned by now about the reduction in allowable weight from 70 to 50lbs per
> piece of checked baggage (unless you have high status with the airline). So
> I called to ask about bicycles on International flights (happen to be
> heading to France in a couple days... can't imagine why...) and was told, as
> I expected, that the same weight limit applied to bicycles. 50lbs. So I
> asked about the overweight charge. $127. Each way!!!
>
> Unfortunately, while my bicycle is lighter than air, the case isn't. 18lb
> bike in a 33lb case. The math looks bad. Along with any possibilities of
> stuffing bike clothes in there.
>
> So looks like it's time for Plan B. Can't use my wonderful Tri-All-3 case,
> and will have to use one of the super-duper boxes Trek ships their high-end
> bikes in. I'm not worried about the bike surviving; we have yet to see UPS
> or an airline mangle a bike in one of those boxes. But it's a pain to
> disassemble a bike enough to fit into one, and even more of a pain to haul
> the box around a huge airport. May have to figure a way to mount wheels onto
> it.
>
> --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
> www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Know do you know why I don't fly unless I really have too?
I think you are finding out.
Bill Baka

> Ouch. Just found out the obvious... anyone familiar with air travel has
> learned by now about the reduction in allowable weight from 70 to 50lbs
> per piece of checked baggage (unless you have high status with the
> airline). So I called to ask about bicycles on International flights
> (happen to be heading to France in a couple days... can't imagine why...)
> and was told, as I expected, that the same weight limit applied to
> bicycles. 50lbs. So I asked about the overweight charge. $127. Each
> way!!!
>
> Unfortunately, while my bicycle is lighter than air, the case isn't. 18lb
> bike in a 33lb case. The math looks bad. Along with any possibilities of
> stuffing bike clothes in there.
>
> So looks like it's time for Plan B. Can't use my wonderful Tri-All-3 case,
> and will have to use one of the super-duper boxes Trek ships their
> high-end bikes in. I'm not worried about the bike surviving; we have yet
> to see UPS or an airline mangle a bike in one of those boxes. But it's a
> pain to disassemble a bike enough to fit into one, and even more of a pain
> to haul the box around a huge airport. May have to figure a way to mount
> wheels onto it.

Your chance will come when they ask for a price to take their stupid
aeroplane on your bike!

> Ouch. Just found out the obvious... anyone familiar with air travel has
> learned by now about the reduction in allowable weight from 70 to 50lbs
> per piece of checked baggage (unless you have high status with the
> airline). So I called to ask about bicycles on International flights
> (happen to be heading to France in a couple days... can't imagine why...)
> and was told, as I expected, that the same weight limit applied to
> bicycles. 50lbs. So I asked about the overweight charge. $127. Each
> way!!!
>
> Unfortunately, while my bicycle is lighter than air, the case isn't. 18lb
> bike in a 33lb case. The math looks bad. Along with any possibilities of
> stuffing bike clothes in there.
>
> So looks like it's time for Plan B. Can't use my wonderful Tri-All-3 case,
> and will have to use one of the super-duper boxes Trek ships their
> high-end bikes in. I'm not worried about the bike surviving; we have yet
> to see UPS or an airline mangle a bike in one of those boxes. But it's a
> pain to disassemble a bike enough to fit into one, and even more of a pain
> to haul the box around a huge airport. May have to figure a way to mount
> wheels onto it.
>
> --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
> www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Couldn't one simply ship it Fed-Ex, or UPS or DHL to their destination and
vice-versa?
The last time I checked it was a lot cheaper than trying to fly it there
with you.

> Couldn't one simply ship it Fed-Ex, or UPS or DHL to their destination and
> vice-versa?
> The last time I checked it was a lot cheaper than trying to fly it there
> with you.

$245-280 overseas. Last time it was reasonable was maybe three years ago.
Big increases since then.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

"Earl Bollinger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Ouch. Just found out the obvious... anyone familiar with air travel has
>> learned by now about the reduction in allowable weight from 70 to 50lbs
>> per piece of checked baggage (unless you have high status with the
>> airline). So I called to ask about bicycles on International flights
>> (happen to be heading to France in a couple days... can't imagine why...)
>> and was told, as I expected, that the same weight limit applied to
>> bicycles. 50lbs. So I asked about the overweight charge. $127. Each
>> way!!!
>>
>> Unfortunately, while my bicycle is lighter than air, the case isn't. 18lb
>> bike in a 33lb case. The math looks bad. Along with any possibilities of
>> stuffing bike clothes in there.
>>
>> So looks like it's time for Plan B. Can't use my wonderful Tri-All-3
>> case, and will have to use one of the super-duper boxes Trek ships their
>> high-end bikes in. I'm not worried about the bike surviving; we have yet
>> to see UPS or an airline mangle a bike in one of those boxes. But it's a
>> pain to disassemble a bike enough to fit into one, and even more of a
>> pain to haul the box around a huge airport. May have to figure a way to
>> mount wheels onto it.
>>
>> --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
>> www.ChainReactionBicycles.com
>>

> Couldn't one simply ship it Fed-Ex, or UPS or DHL to their destination and
> vice-versa?
> The last time I checked it was a lot cheaper than trying to fly it there
> with you.

Have you thought of shipping the bike seperately, perhaps by UPS? Last I
checked this is about $60 each way, about half what the airline is
charging you.

If you don't know of a contact in France that can recieve it you might
be able to pick it up at their depot. Seems like this may become the
cheaper alternative.

- -
Comments and opinions compliments of,
"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

My web Site:
http://geocities.com/czcorner

To E-mail me:
ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
> Ouch. Just found out the obvious... anyone familiar with air travel has
> learned by now about the reduction in allowable weight from 70 to 50lbs per
> piece of checked baggage (unless you have high status with the airline). So
> I called to ask about bicycles on International flights (happen to be
> heading to France in a couple days... can't imagine why...) and was told, as
> I expected, that the same weight limit applied to bicycles. 50lbs. So I
> asked about the overweight charge. $127. Each way!!!
>
> Unfortunately, while my bicycle is lighter than air, the case isn't. 18lb
> bike in a 33lb case. The math looks bad. Along with any possibilities of
> stuffing bike clothes in there.
>
> So looks like it's time for Plan B. Can't use my wonderful Tri-All-3 case,
> and will have to use one of the super-duper boxes Trek ships their high-end
> bikes in. I'm not worried about the bike surviving; we have yet to see UPS
> or an airline mangle a bike in one of those boxes. But it's a pain to
> disassemble a bike enough to fit into one, and even more of a pain to haul
> the box around a huge airport. May have to figure a way to mount wheels onto
> it.
>
> --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
> www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Mike,

What airline?

How about Plan C, though it has one of the disadvantages of which you
speak ... and in spades. If the airline is Delta or a Delta partner,
use the Delta bike box for shipping. Those things are huge; my 56cm
custom touring bike fit in with just the pedals removed and the bars
turned, as did my wife's 58cm touring bike. And there was plenty of
room to spare in both boxes!!!! We had to use them last year when
Air France at SFO did not have any boxes so I got sent to Delta and
United to get them. They are great for packing the bikes in, because
disassembly is minimal. They are a true pain if you have to move them
around. Fortunately, we unpacked at the airport in Bordeaux and left
the boxes there to be reused and rode off towards the Pyrenees.

- rick

I tried to ship a track bike to Dublin from Sarasota Florida via ups and it
would have cost one way > 360 $
Jean Andre Vallery
www.bicyclejournals.net
Sarasota Florida

Bill wrote:

> Know do you know why I don't fly unless I really have too?
> I think you are finding out.
> Bill Baka

Why not fly? I have flown, with bike, to a number of places - no
problems, no extra charges, only minor hassles. We flew to Bordeaux in
May of last year, then back out of Barcelona in June. Bikes were fine,
no extra costs, and on that trip we used boxes since it was open-jaw
ticketing. The year before it was London to Venice then back to SFO;
on that one, we used our S&S bags for the coupled bikes, which is a
real handy thing to have. Had to fly to Portland for personal business
a couple of weeks ago, so we just packed the bikes and took them with
us; great to spend some time in a bike friendly area with our own
bikes. Again, no extra costs, no extra hassles. Once you are used to
it, and get the drill down, it is rather trivial.

- rick

>> Couldn't one simply ship it Fed-Ex, or UPS or DHL to their destination
>> and vice-versa?
>> The last time I checked it was a lot cheaper than trying to fly it there
>> with you.

> $245-280 overseas. Last time it was reasonable was maybe three years ago.
> Big increases since then.
>
> --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
> www.ChainReactionBicycles.com
>

> "Earl Bollinger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>> Ouch. Just found out the obvious... anyone familiar with air travel has
>>> learned by now about the reduction in allowable weight from 70 to 50lbs
>>> per piece of checked baggage (unless you have high status with the
>>> airline). So I called to ask about bicycles on International flights
>>> (happen to be heading to France in a couple days... can't imagine
>>> why...) and was told, as I expected, that the same weight limit applied
>>> to bicycles. 50lbs. So I asked about the overweight charge. $127. Each
>>> way!!!
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, while my bicycle is lighter than air, the case isn't.
>>> 18lb bike in a 33lb case. The math looks bad. Along with any
>>> possibilities of stuffing bike clothes in there.
>>>
>>> So looks like it's time for Plan B. Can't use my wonderful Tri-All-3
>>> case, and will have to use one of the super-duper boxes Trek ships their
>>> high-end bikes in. I'm not worried about the bike surviving; we have yet
>>> to see UPS or an airline mangle a bike in one of those boxes. But it's a
>>> pain to disassemble a bike enough to fit into one, and even more of a
>>> pain to haul the box around a huge airport. May have to figure a way to
>>> mount wheels onto it.
>>>
>>> --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
>>> www.ChainReactionBicycles.com
>>>

>> Couldn't one simply ship it Fed-Ex, or UPS or DHL to their destination
>> and vice-versa?
>> The last time I checked it was a lot cheaper than trying to fly it there
>> with you.

Auugghh!! Major Bummer. I didn't know they had jacked up the costs like
that.
Thanks

"Rick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I have flown, with bike, to a number of places - no
> problems, no extra charges, only minor hassles. We flew to Bordeaux in
> May of last year, then back out of Barcelona in June. Bikes were fine,
> no extra costs, and on that trip we used boxes since it was open-jaw
> ticketing. ... we used our S&S bags for the coupled bikes,

Last fall I flew into Las Vegas with my bike, and there were two other
cyclists on the airport shuttle with me. Between us, we had a road bike in a
Trico case, a Bike Friday in a Bike Friday case, and a road bike with S&S
couplers installed in a larger case. We decided to share a room that night,
so we got to compare.

Additional cost of airfare (one way): Road bike $80 (United); others $0

Logistics to lugging packed bicycle around: Road bike hassle, S&S small, BF
minimal

Speed of getting bike set up: S&S longest by far, Road bike moderate, BF a
few minutes at leisurely pace (since he had to wait for us anyway). With
more practice, S&S speed would probably improve. I think he had
uncoupled/recoupled only a few times before.

Wheel size: Road bike and S&S: 700. BF: the 20 inch wheel size which is hard
to find tires for (BMX size won't fit). So, he carried a spare tire.

Naturalness of bike feel relative to normal bike: BF only a bit different
(owner usually rode another bike), S&S and Road bike normal (since it was
the normal bike or equivalent to it).

Added investment cost: Road bike $0 (borrowed case from bike club), S&S:
cost of installing couplers, BF: cost of entire bike. (on the theory that
these things wouldn't be done if the rider didn't find them helpful for
traveling)

There's no one right solution from the set above; I'm just doing a
subjective comparison.

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
> Ouch. Just found out the obvious... the same weight limit applied to bicycles. 50lbs. So I
> asked about the overweight charge. $127. Each way!!!
>
> Unfortunately, while my bicycle is lighter than air, the case isn't. 18lb
> bike in a 33lb case.
>
> So looks like it's time for Plan B. Can't use my wonderful Tri-All-3 case,
> and will have to use one of the super-duper boxes Trek ships their high-end
> bikes in. I'm not worried about the bike surviving; we have yet to see UPS
> or an airline mangle a bike in one of those boxes. But it's a pain to
> disassemble a bike enough to fit into one, and even more of a pain to haul
> the box around a huge airport. May have to figure a way to mount wheels onto
> it.

We've flown overseas twice with bikes. One possibility may be to fly
the bike as a bike, not as a bike-in-a-box. Granted, it was long ago,
but British Airways told us "No box needed. Just take off the pedals
and turn the handlebars sideways." Worked wonderfully! They were
treated carefully, like bicycles. IIRC, some airlines still do things
that way.

Our second time, on a charter flight, we were forced to box the bikes,
and the disassembly was a hassle. Worse, despite all our warning
stickers and "This End UP!" markings, we watched the luggage crew at
Dublin stack the bikes on their sides, three high, on the roof of a
luggage truck, then throw them to the ground from that roof.

After maneuvering those big boxes through two airports, I too resolved
to fit wheels on one corner if I ever repeated the exercise. After
all, half the luggage sold today has wheels.

But since then, I've seen what may be an easier solution. Our hardware
store sells "Magic Sliders" (or some simliar name). They're very
slippery smooth plastic disks with sticky mounting tape on one side.
You stick them on the bottom of furniture, and by golly, the furniture
does slide almost like it has wheels. ISTM that putting those on the
corners of the bike box (and maybe a rope handle, to boot) would make
them a lot easier to tow around.

- Frank Krygowski

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 05:05:14 GMT in rec.bicycles.misc, "Mike
Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote:

> So looks like it's time for Plan B. Can't use my wonderful Tri-All-3 case,
> and will have to use one of the super-duper boxes Trek ships their high-end
> bikes in. I'm not worried about the bike surviving; we have yet to see UPS
> or an airline mangle a bike in one of those boxes. But it's a pain to
> disassemble a bike enough to fit into one, and even more of a pain to haul
> the box around a huge airport. May have to figure a way to mount wheels onto
> it.

best to get rid of the box as soon as you can when you get there,
and get a bag for the bike. you can't get on the TGV or other
fast trains unless the bike can fit in a bag of specific
dimensions. that relegated me, with fully loaded front & rear
panniers and fenders, to the slow trains during the 2004 tour.

have a great time! july is wonderful for food there, too, with
all the fruit crops ripe, and lots of veal & lamb.

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 19:22:02 -0800, [email protected]
(Dennis P. Harris) wrote:

>On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 05:05:14 GMT in rec.bicycles.misc, "Mike
>Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> So looks like it's time for Plan B. Can't use my wonderful Tri-All-3 case,
>> and will have to use one of the super-duper boxes Trek ships their high-end
>> bikes in. I'm not worried about the bike surviving; we have yet to see UPS
>> or an airline mangle a bike in one of those boxes. But it's a pain to
>> disassemble a bike enough to fit into one, and even more of a pain to haul
>> the box around a huge airport. May have to figure a way to mount wheels onto
>> it.

>best to get rid of the box as soon as you can when you get there,
>and get a bag for the bike. you can't get on the TGV or other
>fast trains unless the bike can fit in a bag of specific
>dimensions. that relegated me, with fully loaded front & rear
>panniers and fenders, to the slow trains during the 2004 tour.
>
>have a great time! july is wonderful for food there, too, with
>all the fruit crops ripe, and lots of veal & lamb.

Some TGV's do allow fully assembled bikes.

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 04:49:35 GMT in rec.bicycles.misc, R
Brickston <rb20170REMOVE.yahoo.com@> wrote:

> Some TGV's do allow fully assembled bikes.

but that space is very limited (2- or 3 bikes per train) and is
reserved months in advance. IIRC bagged bikes don't require a
reserved space.

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 17:46:14 -0800, [email protected]
(Dennis P. Harris) wrote:

>On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 04:49:35 GMT in rec.bicycles.misc, R
>Brickston <rb20170REMOVE.yahoo.com@> wrote:
>
>> Some TGV's do allow fully assembled bikes.

>but that space is very limited (2- or 3 bikes per train) and is
>reserved months in advance.

Can be done if you kn ow your itinerary.

>IIRC bagged bikes don't require a
>reserved space.

True, it's regular luggage carried on the car. Here's a tip. Get to
the platform by rolling the bike in a few minutes early and then bag
it.