Airnimal Bicycles

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Smudger, Mar 30, 2003.

  1. Smudger

    Smudger Guest

    Does anybody have an Airnimal or a Bike Friday? If so, could they post a review of their bike with
    some details on how they get on with folding it and transporting it?

    Tags:

  2. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

  3. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Smudger <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Does anybody have an Airnimal or a Bike Friday? If so, could they post a review of their bike with
    > some details on how they get on with folding it and transporting it?

    I looked at both before going for the Bike Friday. Both ride very well but neither folds
    conveniently. The BF is the better of the two as it stays together as one although the folded bike
    has to be strapped together to stop is unfolding when you pick it up. The handlebars seem like a
    left over afterthought you prop on the top when its folded. The Airnimal needs the front wheel out
    to fold and then you have what to do with the wheel to contend with. Hang it on the pedal seems
    the favourite. There are also reports of the elastomer falling off folded and if you lose that you
    are stuck.

    If you are going on and off eg trains all the time and lots of folding/unfolding the Brompton is the
    only real answer - some would add the Birdy but its a bigger package. If you want to transport a
    good long distance ridealbe bike to the start of a ride either BF or Airnimal will be equally
    convenient - neither fits well on the train.

    I went for the BF in the end because if folds easily and quickly enough that I can take it inside or
    into the office as well as take it on a plane in the suitcase. Against the Airnimal for me was the
    less convenient folding but I know Myra made the opposite choice.

    Best bet is to read the Folding Society web pages on the plusses and minus of the different models
    or pop down to Avon Valley Cycles in Bath where you can try the different models out, fold and
    unfold them and have a good play around.

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to
    adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George
    Bernard Shaw

  4. Graham Glen

    Graham Glen Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, Smudger <[email protected]> writes
    >Does anybody have an Airnimal or a Bike Friday? If so, could they post a review of their bike with
    >some details on how they get on with folding it and transporting it?

    I've got an Airnimal. When I bought mine there was only one model, equivalent to the 105 model now.

    Mine in normally only ever fully folded or unfolded, I think only twice in the last two years have I
    half folded it to transport it by car.

    Folding can be a bit fiddly, in that you soon end up with a wheel less frame with bits hanging off,
    but as none of it is heavy it can comfortably be held in one hand while completing disassembly.

    Initially I found it awkward to gets the bars in the right position to get the back wheel into place
    in the hard case, but I've since put flat bars on mine which makes it much easier to pack.

    Other things I do differently from the "recommended" folding instructions -

    1. I don't take the pedals off, I remove the left crank. As I've got an Ultegra chain set this only
    requires a big Allen key, which lives in the case.

    2. I remove the chain. I replaced the Shimano chain with an SRAM, which is only ever lubricated with
    White Lightening so it's always nice and clean and easy to deal with..

    I scanned in the pictures from the instructions so that I could produce my own folding notes.
    Whenever I go on a trip I put a copy of these into the case along with a CD containing a PDF of the
    same (I might re-do the pictures with my own sometime).

    I've never worried about the elastomer coming off when it's folded - it's a tight fit.

    Riding - it's a blast. It's so nice to ride that it's very, very addictive. I love going somewhere
    and having a nice bike to ride whenever I want. Although when I got mine it had a medium elastomer
    and I found initially that I would "bob" when pedalling, once I changed that for a hard one and
    smoothed my pedalling out I've stopped having that problem.

    Let me know if I can tell you more.

    Regards

    Graham
    --
    Graham Glen

  5. Smudger

    Smudger Guest

    "Smudger" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Does anybody have an Airnimal or a Bike Friday? If so, could they post a review of their bike with
    > some details on how they get on with folding it and transporting it?

    Thanks for all the info so far. I've already got a Brompton L6 but I do like to go on, say, thirty
    mile rides when I'm away from home. I can do this on the Brompton but it's not ideal.

    I'm swaying towards a Friday at the moment but I'm still thinking.

  6. "Smudger" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Smudger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Does anybody have an Airnimal or a Bike Friday? If so, could they post a review of their bike
    > > with some details on how they get on with folding it and transporting it?
    > >

    > Thanks for all the info so far. I've already got a Brompton L6 but I do like to go on, say, thirty
    > mile rides when I'm away from home. I can do this on the Brompton but it's not ideal.
    >
    > I'm swaying towards a Friday at the moment but I'm still thinking.

    If thinking of buying one for yourself, and if travelling down there isn't a problem, worth bearing
    in mind that the Mike Dyason HQ at Biggleswade offers test rides - you do need to give a bit of
    prior notice, though.

    David E. Belcher

    Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

  7. Smudger

    Smudger Guest

    "David E. Belcher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Smudger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > "Smudger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Does anybody have an Airnimal or a Bike Friday? If so, could they
    post a
    > > > review of their bike with some details on how they get on with folding
    it
    > > > and transporting it?
    > > >

    > > Thanks for all the info so far. I've already got a Brompton L6 but I do like to go on, say,
    > > thirty mile rides when I'm away from home. I can do this on the Brompton but it's not ideal.
    > >
    > > I'm swaying towards a Friday at the moment but I'm still thinking.
    >
    > If thinking of buying one for yourself, and if travelling down there isn't a problem, worth
    > bearing in mind that the Mike Dyason HQ at Biggleswade offers test rides - you do need to give a
    > bit of prior notice, though.
    >
    > David E. Belcher
    >
    > Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

    Thanks. When I find out where that is I may just do that.

    Cheers

  8. [email protected] (David E. Belcher) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > If thinking of buying one for yourself, and if travelling down there isn't a problem, worth
    > bearing in mind that the Mike Dyason HQ at Biggleswade offers test rides - you do need to give a
    > bit of prior notice, though.

    Oops! Forgot to point out; this message refers to the Airnimal, not the Bike Friday!

    David E. Belcher

    Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

  9. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    No practical experience of the Airnimal, but there's a review of it in VeloVision 7, and the really
    good news is it's freely downloadable as a PDF. Head over to http://www.velovision.co.uk/ and then
    click on "Previous Issues". Scroll down a little and there's a link to the PDF there.

    HTH, Pete.
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  10. Trealaw Boy

    Trealaw Boy Guest

    --------------197859631A36816003588EC2 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii

    ........ and AVC in BAth are the new UK importers of Bike Fridays and usually have some in stock, so
    could possible have a test ride of a BF there.

    See www.foldingbikes.co.uk

    Regards

    TB

    "David E. Belcher" wrote:

    > [email protected] (David E. Belcher) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > >
    > > If thinking of buying one for yourself, and if travelling down there isn't a problem, worth
    > > bearing in mind that the Mike Dyason HQ at Biggleswade offers test rides - you do need to give a
    > > bit of prior notice, though.
    >
    > Oops! Forgot to point out; this message refers to the Airnimal, not the Bike Friday!
    >
    > David E. Belcher
    >
    > Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

    --------------197859631A36816003588EC2 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii

    <!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en"> <html> ........ and AVC in BAth
    are the new UK importers of Bike Fridays and usually have some in stock, so could possible have a
    test ride of a BF there.
    <q>Regards
    <r>TB
    <s>"David E. Belcher" wrote: <blockquote TYPE=CITE>[email protected] (David E. Belcher) wrote
    in message news:<[email protected]>... <br>> <br>> If thinking
    of buying one for yourself, and if travelling down there <br>> isn't a problem, worth bearing in
    mind that the Mike Dyason HQ at <br>> Biggleswade offers test rides - you do need to give a bit
    of prior <br>> notice, though.
    <t>Oops! Forgot to point out; this message refers to the Airnimal, not the Bike Friday!
    <u>David E. Belcher

    --------------197859631A36816003588EC2--

  11. David Hughes

    David Hughes Guest

    If I remember correctly Avon Valley Cyclery have a Pocket Rocket Pro, New World Tourist, Air Llama
    and Tandem Twosday available for test rides. And there are Airnimals, Birdys, Bromptons and other
    assorted oddities there!

    If you want something soon it would be best to go for something other than the Bike Friday as each
    is imported individually from the States.

    Contact them at [email protected] or on 01225 442442

    David

  12. Terry J

    Terry J Guest

    and no longer Biggleswade but Melton Mowbray, surely TerryJ

  13. "Terry J" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > and no longer Biggleswade but Melton Mowbray, surely

    Oops - you're right. Hadn't visited the Dyason website for months, so wasn't aware of the move.