Airseat or Foam? Problems with flat seats...

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by gerblefranklin, Sep 6, 2004.

  1. So, yesterday I went on a ride with Mike Middleton, and this being the
    first ride I've done on my new seat, I was happy with pretty much
    everything. It provied great padding on a nasty 5-6' drop to flat. But,
    about 3/4 into the ride, my seat got a flat. I didn't have anything to
    repair it, si I wjust repeatedly pumped it up and kept going. This is
    all too common for me now, so I'm wondering, does anyone have a solution
    for this airseat problem. I'm using a KH seatcover, 12" innertube, and
    cf seatbase. Should I just carve up the foam padding from my Kh seat and
    use that? Or should I salvage the rock hard padding from my miyata? I
    can't decided if it's worth it to me to continue using an airseat if it
    can pop so easily.

    Thanks for reading.

    --
    gerblefranklin - Trials Unicyclist

    Don't you think it's a cruel irony that acting like a G.I. Joe in the
    army can get you a Medal, while playing with one can get you thrown
    out?

    "Our enemies are innovative and resourceful. They will stop at nothing
    to hurt us and our people, and nethier will we"-Dubya
    Vote Kerry. Yeah, they both suck, but Kerry sucks less.

  2. tomblackwood

    tomblackwood Guest

    gerblefranklin wrote:
    > * This is all too common for me now. I'm using a KH seatcover, 12"
    > innertube, and cf seatbase. I can't decided if it's worth it to me to
    > continue using an airseat if it can pop so easily.*

    Do you have any sort of a "pillow case" for the inner tube? That wasn't
    listed above in your parts list. If you don't have the inner tube
    protected inside some sort of a case, I'd imagine it would puncture
    quite easily. Run a search on threads by John Childs and you'll find a
    link to his air pillow gallery. Sew something like that...or buy the
    pillowcase sold by unicycle.com...and you should be in business. I have
    one, and have only had one leak in several hundred miles (although I
    don't do your kind of riding and dropping).

    If you have a pillowcase and are still getting punctures, look to other
    sources. Do you have duct tape over all your bolt heads and other sharp
    edges on the CF base? That could be another contributor.

    Airseats are worth it...you just need to identify and fix the root cause
    of your punctures.

    --
    tomblackwood - Registered Nurtz

    Tailgate at your own risk.....

  3. jagur

    jagur Guest

    did you cover the tops of the bolts on the inside with duct tape so the
    tube isnt sitting on top of medal....?

    track down the hole in the tube, then match it up to the base to see the
    general area it puntured.

    --
    jagur - #3649_all fluff i hear?

    -Forget_Your_Life-

  4. *Ressurrect*

    I don't have a pillowcase. I did put ducttape over all of my boltheads.
    It seems as if the puncture is in an odd place-the back of the seat,
    near a hole in the seatcover. I guess I'll just have to take it apart
    and patch it. So the verdict is go for the airseat and don't use the
    foam from my KH seat? Just checking.

    --
    gerblefranklin - Trials Unicyclist

    Don't you think it's a cruel irony that acting like a G.I. Joe in the
    army can get you a Medal, while playing with one can get you thrown
    out?

    "Our enemies are innovative and resourceful. They will stop at nothing
    to hurt us and our people, and nethier will we"-Dubya
    Vote Kerry. Yeah, they both suck, but Kerry sucks less.

  5. tomblackwood

    tomblackwood Guest

    gerblefranklin wrote:
    > [BI don't have a pillowcase. So the verdict is go for the airseat and
    > don't use the foam from my KH seat? Just checking. [/B]

    Opinions will differ, but I'd say first go buy this:

    http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=258

    Then stuff (neatly) your inner tube inside of it, fold the airpillow in
    half, stuff it inside your seat cover narrow end facing the front, and
    slowly add air while gently manipulating things until it falls into
    place and feels right. That may take you a couple of attempts, but it's
    worth it and the pillow case will greatly extend your tube life.

    Some folks do all that and then STILL use some foam from an old
    seat--shaved thinner--to place on top of the pillow to help provide
    additional shape to the seat. Go look at that john_childs gallery for
    detailed shots on this process.

    You can always sew your own pillow case, which I think John did
    (purist), but to me it's a pretty easy justification to spend the $15.

    --
    tomblackwood - Registered Nurtz

    Tailgate at your own risk.....

  6. TheBadger587

    TheBadger587 Guest

  7. john_childs

    john_childs Guest

    gerblefranklin wrote:
    > * I don't have a pillowcase. I did put ducttape over all of my
    > boltheads. It seems as if the puncture is in an odd place-the back of
    > the seat, near a hole in the seatcover. I guess I'll just have to take
    > it apart and patch it. So the verdict is go for the airseat and don't
    > use the foam from my KH seat? Just checking. *

    Check out my 'Airseat gallery' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Airseat)
    for the details on how I make my muni seats. It makes for a very comfy
    muni seat. Squishy enough to take away the bumps and jolts. Firm
    enough so it doesn't feel like you're sitting on a bowl full of jello.

    I really like the combo of an air pillow and the Miyata foam. The KH
    foam is also very good. If I had the foam from a KH seat handy I'd
    experiment with that too.

    A comfy air seat requires some experimentation. Find what works for
    you.

    Putting the tube in some sort of pillow case should solve the puncture
    problem. It's really easy to make one yourself. It will take an
    evening and is a good home ec project. A couple of socks and some duct
    tape might also make for a suitable pillow case.

    --
    john_childs - Guinness Mojo

    john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

  8. jagur

    jagur Guest

    yeah, the next time i take my seat apart im going to stick my duct taped
    shaped tube into a nice big wool sock.

    --
    jagur - #3649_all fluff i hear?

    -Forget_Your_Life-

  9. For off-road I use the Torker LX frame, GB4 stiffener, KH foam, leather
    cover, Steve Howard handle and it works excellently.

    I just stopped by unicycle.com on vacation and picked up a
    pillow/innertube because riding my setup for 20 miles is not comfortable
    enough.
    I still get saddle sore for some reason.

    It's like I need a 2nd unicycle:
    145mm, 26" wheel, Hookworm, airseat (for distance on road)
    and 170mm, seat as listed above, knobby tire for everything else.

    --
    ChangingLINKS.com - member

    Drew Brown
    http://www.ChangingLINKS.com
    ChangingLINKS.com's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5468

  10. jorkee

    jorkee Guest

    if you are using a tube 12" a think you can stay in that configuratin
    and you don't wont to change to 20". when you make one lyre air pillow
    it will separate the tube from the inside parts of your seat. try to see
    how the tube looks and in what place it had been cut. maybe some part of
    the seat was not isolated properly.

    --
    jorkee - Unicycling is great

    there is nothing better in unicycling than air under the ass...

    http://www.unicycle.republika.pl
    jorkee's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4846

  11. I had trouble with my home made airseat going flat, but I couldn't find
    the hole by putting the inflated tube under water. I've worked on
    bicycles for 30 years, so I know how to fix a flat. I figured that the
    hole only opens up when the tube is bent at an odd shape.

    Anyone else experience this?

    --
    kokomojuggler - Coker Rider

    Kokomo Juggler
    -All Glory to God
    kokomojuggler's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4925

  12. GILD

    GILD Guest

    ChangingLINKS.com wrote:
    > *riding my setup for 20 miles is not comfortable enough.
    > I still get saddle sore for some reason. *

    oh, the mystery:confused:

    ;)

    --
    GILD - Waffle-tosser and Time-bider

    If you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me.
    -- Alice Roosevelt Longworth
    '[image: http://www.addis-welt.de/smilie/smilie/sp/84255.gif]'
    (http://tinyurl.com/ywxgb)
    Namaste!
    Dave

  13. john_childs

    john_childs Guest

    kokomojuggler wrote:
    > *I had trouble with my home made airseat going flat, but I couldn't
    > find the hole by putting the inflated tube under water. I've worked on
    > bicycles for 30 years, so I know how to fix a flat. I figured that the
    > hole only opens up when the tube is bent at an odd shape.
    >
    > Anyone else experience this? *

    Could it be the valve core that is leaking?
    The valve core in a schrader valve can loosen up and very slowly leak
    air. There are special tools to tighten the schrader valves and you can
    even buy a replacement valve core. Most auto parts stores will have the
    schrader valve tool and the replacement valve cores.

    I use an air pillow to help protect the tube. With regular riding I'm
    finding that I can expect a tube to last a little over a year before the
    chafing causes a leak in the tube.

    --
    john_childs - Guinness Mojo

    john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

  14. tomblackwood

    tomblackwood Guest

    Hey John, I was just looking through your airseat gallery, and have two
    questions on the foam work. First, did you do your carving to shape it
    on the topside, or underside. I'm assuming underside, but not sure from
    the pic. Second, the foam looks broken off in the front...is this
    because the piece you had to work with was broken, or is there some
    comfort reason to have it stop short like that?

    My muni seat is still intolerable...I'm going to rip into it tomorrow or
    Tuesday, and try to rearrange the airpillow, plus add a foam insert.
    Now if I can only find my electric carving knife. I hear they're great
    for carving foam :)

    TB

    --
    tomblackwood - Registered Nurtz

    Tailgate at your own risk.....

  15. Gobd

    Gobd Guest

  16. john_childs

    john_childs Guest

    I cut the top side of the foam, but it really shouldn't matter. Top or
    bottom, it shouldn't make a difference.

    I cut an inch or so from the front of the pad to get it to fit in the
    Roach/KH seat cover. The foam pad is about an inch shorter than a stock
    Miyata foam pad. Try to stuff a stock Miyata pad in the top of a
    Roach/KH seat cover and you'll see what I mean. There just ain't enough
    room.

    --
    john_childs - Guinness Mojo

    john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

  17. jagur

    jagur Guest

    tomblackwood wrote:
    > *I'm going to rip into it tomorrow or Tuesday, and try to rearrange
    > the airpillow, plus add a foam insert. *

    Tuesday..? why Tuesday...just do on the ski lift at Northstar.

    --
    jagur - #3649_all fluff i hear?

    -Forget_Your_Life-
    [image:
    http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albums/albup23/sleeping_horse.jpg]

  18. tomblackwood

    tomblackwood Guest

    jagur wrote:
    > *Tuesday..? why Tuesday...just do on the ski lift at Northstar. *

    Yes...spliff first, then reconstruct using only stone tools. Chairlift
    is the timer. If I lose, I ride the seatpost down a black diamond. If I
    win, you're buying that muscatel previously discussed in our under the
    bridge thread.

    --
    tomblackwood - Registered Nurtz

    Tailgate at your own risk.....

  19. jagur

    jagur Guest

  20. tomblackwood

    tomblackwood Guest

    jagur wrote:
    > *i'll cheat because i always carry a Leatherman and i only drink
    > Thunderbird, but i'll share it. *

    T-bird works, and is actually preferred. When engaging in serious
    athletics, it's important to drink only Fortified beverages...