Airzound?

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Colin Davidson

Sorry if this has come up in this NG before, but a quick scan hasn't answered my question. I am
thinking of investing in an 'airzound' horn for my bike but I'm not sure whether the kind of volume
given out by this gadget is legal... Has anyone got any idea?

cheers,

Colin.

"Colin Davidson" <[email protected]> writed in news:[email protected]:

> Sorry if this has come up in this NG before, but a quick scan hasn't answered my question. I am
> thinking of investing in an 'airzound' horn for my bike but I'm not sure whether the kind of
> volume given out by this gadget is legal... Has anyone got any idea?
>
> cheers,
Hi Colin,

It is *very* loud for a bicycle horn, but I would guess, no louder than, say, a lorry horn. I'm
doubtful that there is a legal maximum volume for vehicle horns, and as regards bicycles - they
don't even enforce the lighting regulations, so realistically, are they likely to worry about a 'too
loud' horn?!

Buy one - enjoy it!!

Mike Leicester

"Mike Gayler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Hi Colin,
>
> It is *very* loud for a bicycle horn, but I would guess, no louder than, say, a lorry horn. I'm
> doubtful that there is a legal maximum volume for vehicle horns, and as regards bicycles - they
> don't even enforce the lighting regulations, so realistically, are they likely to worry about a
> 'too loud' horn?!
>
> Buy one - enjoy it!!

That's probably very good advice. Thanks.

Mike Gayler wrote:
> "Colin Davidson" <[email protected]> writed in news:[email protected]:
>
>
>>Sorry if this has come up in this NG before, but a quick scan hasn't answered my question. I am
>>thinking of investing in an 'airzound' horn for my bike but I'm not sure whether the kind of
>>volume given out by this gadget is legal... Has anyone got any idea?
>>
>>cheers,
>
> Hi Colin,
>
> It is *very* loud for a bicycle horn, but I would guess, no louder than, say, a lorry horn.
<snip>
> Buy one - enjoy it!!
>

You sneak up behind old people in the park as well? ;)

Daniel Wilcox <[email protected]> writed in news:[email protected]:

> Mike Gayler wrote:
>> "Colin Davidson" <[email protected]> writed in news:[email protected]:
>>
>>
>>>Sorry if this has come up in this NG before, but a quick scan hasn't answered my question. I am
>>>thinking of investing in an 'airzound' horn for my bike but I'm not sure whether the kind of
>>>volume given out by this gadget is legal... Has anyone got any idea?
>>>
>>>cheers,
>>
>> Hi Colin,
>>
>> It is *very* loud for a bicycle horn, but I would guess, no louder than, say, a lorry horn.
> <snip>
>> Buy one - enjoy it!!
>>
>
> You sneak up behind old people in the park as well? ;)
>
You were watching!!

> Sorry if this has come up in this NG before, but a quick scan hasn't answered my question. I am
> thinking of investing in an 'airzound' horn for my bike but I'm not sure whether the kind of
> volume given out by this gadget is legal... Has anyone got any idea?
>
It's awesome - liable to cause little old ladies to drop dead with fright. Death by air zound
probably breaks some law, if it happens.

The air zound requires a Schreader valved pump.

I'm glad I have an air zound, just for its sheer amusement value, but I don't have it mounted on my
bike now, and I do have a bike bell.

I think the air zound is too loud to get into using it as your automatic quick response to any
situation - shout instead. Thus you can only use the air zound for situations you see developing a
few seconds in advance. Essentially you are then luring the poor unsuspecting motorist into being
the air zound's victim, which is unsporting.

Regarding bells, they are only useful on off-road bike paths. On the busier off road paths an air
zound is tempting, but inadvisable. I have a bell that Sustrans sent me free, for spending too much
money with them. It goes "ping", instead of the traditional "trrrrrrr". Fairly frequently people
under 40 fail to recogise that the sound is a bicycle bell, or anything relevant to them, and people
over forty are too deaf to hear it. The deaf ones always then berate you for not using your bell.

For shouting, my all purpose instinctive cry is "watch it". That alerts without being too
confrontional, hostile replies, if any, being nothing but "you watch it." When shouting, even if
terrified, keep you voice low pitched. Don't let your voice rise to an anguished squeak"

Jeremy Parker

Jeremy Parker wrote:
>>Sorry if this has come up in this NG before, but a quick scan hasn't answered my question. I am
>>thinking of investing in an 'airzound' horn for my bike but I'm not sure whether the kind of
>>volume given out by this gadget is legal... Has anyone got any idea?
>>
>
> It's awesome - liable to cause little old ladies to drop dead with fright. Death by air zound
> probably breaks some law, if it happens.
>
> The air zound requires a Schreader valved pump.
>
> I'm glad I have an air zound, just for its sheer amusement value, but I don't have it mounted on
> my bike now, and I do have a bike bell.
>
> I think the air zound is too loud to get into using it as your automatic quick response to any
> situation - shout instead. Thus you can only use the air zound for situations you see developing a
> few seconds in advance. Essentially you are then luring the poor unsuspecting motorist into being
> the air zound's victim, which is unsporting.
>
> Regarding bells, they are only useful on off-road bike paths. On the busier off road paths an air
> zound is tempting, but inadvisable. I have a bell that Sustrans sent me free, for spending too
> much money with them. It goes "ping", instead of the traditional "trrrrrrr". Fairly frequently
> people under 40 fail to recogise that the sound is a bicycle bell, or anything relevant to them,
> and people over forty are too deaf to hear it. The deaf ones always then berate you for not using
> your bell.
>
> For shouting, my all purpose instinctive cry is "watch it". That alerts without being too
> confrontional, hostile replies, if any, being nothing but "you watch it." When shouting, even if
> terrified, keep you voice low pitched. Don't let your voice rise to an anguished squeak"
>
> Jeremy Parker

I find the one on our tandem to be most effective, especially if the road goes along pavements busy
with shoppers.

A few times we have had to use it, when the bell had no response, to see people jump back 6ft when
given a blast on the horn.

On hols in Holt, Norfolk once a child/teen 10-13yr old, suddenly started to cross the road,
ignoring his parents command to look; sounded horn to see him jump back to the wall, swear about
the fright he had got, only for his parents to give him a good clip around the ears for swearing
and for not looking.

"Jeremy Parker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> It's awesome - liable to cause little old ladies to drop dead with fright. Death by air zound
> probably breaks some law, if it happens.
(cut)

Generally I agree with the comments you've made, but I'm considering getting an airzound to wake up
the occasional motorist who, inside his or her sleepy little metal clad world, can't hear the sound
of a cycle bell.

"Colin Davidson" <[email protected]> writed in news:[email protected]:

> "Jeremy Parker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>> It's awesome - liable to cause little old ladies to drop dead with fright. Death by air zound
>> probably breaks some law, if it happens.
> (cut)
>
> Generally I agree with the comments you've made, but I'm considering getting an airzound to wake
> up the occasional motorist who, inside his or her sleepy little metal clad world, can't hear the
> sound of a cycle bell.
>
And that's exactly how I use mine. Despite the humour earlier in the thread I only ever use my
bell, or voice, with peds. In an emergency it's a very loud "OY" which does the trick, although
with experience on my commute I can predict where I need to have my hand hovering over the air-
zound button.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.