Airzound?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Colin Davidson, May 28, 2003.

  1. Sorry if this has come up in this NG before, but a quick scan hasn't answered my question. I am
    thinking of investing in an 'airzound' horn for my bike but I'm not sure whether the kind of volume
    given out by this gadget is legal... Has anyone got any idea?

    cheers,

    Colin.

    Tags:

  2. No Spam

    No Spam Guest

  3. Mike Gayler

    Mike Gayler Guest

    "Colin Davidson" <[email protected]> writed in news:[email protected]:

    > Sorry if this has come up in this NG before, but a quick scan hasn't answered my question. I am
    > thinking of investing in an 'airzound' horn for my bike but I'm not sure whether the kind of
    > volume given out by this gadget is legal... Has anyone got any idea?
    >
    > cheers,
    Hi Colin,

    It is *very* loud for a bicycle horn, but I would guess, no louder than, say, a lorry horn. I'm
    doubtful that there is a legal maximum volume for vehicle horns, and as regards bicycles - they
    don't even enforce the lighting regulations, so realistically, are they likely to worry about a 'too
    loud' horn?!

    Buy one - enjoy it!!

    Mike Leicester

  4. "Mike Gayler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Hi Colin,
    >
    > It is *very* loud for a bicycle horn, but I would guess, no louder than, say, a lorry horn. I'm
    > doubtful that there is a legal maximum volume for vehicle horns, and as regards bicycles - they
    > don't even enforce the lighting regulations, so realistically, are they likely to worry about a
    > 'too loud' horn?!
    >
    > Buy one - enjoy it!!

    That's probably very good advice. Thanks.

  5. Mike Gayler wrote:
    > "Colin Davidson" <[email protected]> writed in news:[email protected]:
    >

    >>Sorry if this has come up in this NG before, but a quick scan hasn't answered my question. I am
    >>thinking of investing in an 'airzound' horn for my bike but I'm not sure whether the kind of
    >>volume given out by this gadget is legal... Has anyone got any idea?
    >>
    >>cheers,
    >
    > Hi Colin,
    >
    > It is *very* loud for a bicycle horn, but I would guess, no louder than, say, a lorry horn.
    <snip>
    > Buy one - enjoy it!!

    You sneak up behind old people in the park as well? ;)

  6. Mike Gayler

    Mike Gayler Guest

    Daniel Wilcox <[email protected]> writed in news:[email protected]:

    > Mike Gayler wrote:
    >> "Colin Davidson" <[email protected]> writed in news:[email protected]:
    >>

    >>>Sorry if this has come up in this NG before, but a quick scan hasn't answered my question. I am
    >>>thinking of investing in an 'airzound' horn for my bike but I'm not sure whether the kind of
    >>>volume given out by this gadget is legal... Has anyone got any idea?
    >>>
    >>>cheers,
    >>
    >> Hi Colin,
    >>
    >> It is *very* loud for a bicycle horn, but I would guess, no louder than, say, a lorry horn.
    > <snip>
    >> Buy one - enjoy it!!
    >>

    > You sneak up behind old people in the park as well? ;)

    You were watching!!

  7. > Sorry if this has come up in this NG before, but a quick scan hasn't answered my question. I am
    > thinking of investing in an 'airzound' horn for my bike but I'm not sure whether the kind of
    > volume given out by this gadget is legal... Has anyone got any idea?

    It's awesome - liable to cause little old ladies to drop dead with fright. Death by air zound
    probably breaks some law, if it happens.

    The air zound requires a Schreader valved pump.

    I'm glad I have an air zound, just for its sheer amusement value, but I don't have it mounted on my
    bike now, and I do have a bike bell.

    I think the air zound is too loud to get into using it as your automatic quick response to any
    situation - shout instead. Thus you can only use the air zound for situations you see developing a
    few seconds in advance. Essentially you are then luring the poor unsuspecting motorist into being
    the air zound's victim, which is unsporting.

    Regarding bells, they are only useful on off-road bike paths. On the busier off road paths an air
    zound is tempting, but inadvisable. I have a bell that Sustrans sent me free, for spending too much
    money with them. It goes "ping", instead of the traditional "trrrrrrr". Fairly frequently people
    under 40 fail to recogise that the sound is a bicycle bell, or anything relevant to them, and people
    over forty are too deaf to hear it. The deaf ones always then berate you for not using your bell.

    For shouting, my all purpose instinctive cry is "watch it". That alerts without being too
    confrontional, hostile replies, if any, being nothing but "you watch it." When shouting, even if
    terrified, keep you voice low pitched. Don't let your voice rise to an anguished squeak"

    Jeremy Parker

  8. Pete Whelan

    Pete Whelan Guest

    Jeremy Parker wrote:
    >>Sorry if this has come up in this NG before, but a quick scan hasn't answered my question. I am
    >>thinking of investing in an 'airzound' horn for my bike but I'm not sure whether the kind of
    >>volume given out by this gadget is legal... Has anyone got any idea?
    >>

    > It's awesome - liable to cause little old ladies to drop dead with fright. Death by air zound
    > probably breaks some law, if it happens.
    >
    > The air zound requires a Schreader valved pump.
    >
    > I'm glad I have an air zound, just for its sheer amusement value, but I don't have it mounted on
    > my bike now, and I do have a bike bell.
    >
    > I think the air zound is too loud to get into using it as your automatic quick response to any
    > situation - shout instead. Thus you can only use the air zound for situations you see developing a
    > few seconds in advance. Essentially you are then luring the poor unsuspecting motorist into being
    > the air zound's victim, which is unsporting.
    >
    > Regarding bells, they are only useful on off-road bike paths. On the busier off road paths an air
    > zound is tempting, but inadvisable. I have a bell that Sustrans sent me free, for spending too
    > much money with them. It goes "ping", instead of the traditional "trrrrrrr". Fairly frequently
    > people under 40 fail to recogise that the sound is a bicycle bell, or anything relevant to them,
    > and people over forty are too deaf to hear it. The deaf ones always then berate you for not using
    > your bell.
    >
    > For shouting, my all purpose instinctive cry is "watch it". That alerts without being too
    > confrontional, hostile replies, if any, being nothing but "you watch it." When shouting, even if
    > terrified, keep you voice low pitched. Don't let your voice rise to an anguished squeak"
    >
    > Jeremy Parker

    I find the one on our tandem to be most effective, especially if the road goes along pavements busy
    with shoppers.

    A few times we have had to use it, when the bell had no response, to see people jump back 6ft when
    given a blast on the horn.

    On hols in Holt, Norfolk once a child/teen 10-13yr old, suddenly started to cross the road,
    ignoring his parents command to look; sounded horn to see him jump back to the wall, swear about
    the fright he had got, only for his parents to give him a good clip around the ears for swearing
    and for not looking.

  9. "Jeremy Parker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > It's awesome - liable to cause little old ladies to drop dead with fright. Death by air zound
    > probably breaks some law, if it happens.
    (cut)

    Generally I agree with the comments you've made, but I'm considering getting an airzound to wake up
    the occasional motorist who, inside his or her sleepy little metal clad world, can't hear the sound
    of a cycle bell.

  10. Mike Gayler

    Mike Gayler Guest

    "Colin Davidson" <[email protected]> writed in news:[email protected]:

    > "Jeremy Parker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >> It's awesome - liable to cause little old ladies to drop dead with fright. Death by air zound
    >> probably breaks some law, if it happens.
    > (cut)
    >
    > Generally I agree with the comments you've made, but I'm considering getting an airzound to wake
    > up the occasional motorist who, inside his or her sleepy little metal clad world, can't hear the
    > sound of a cycle bell.

    And that's exactly how I use mine. Despite the humour earlier in the thread I only ever use my
    bell, or voice, with peds. In an emergency it's a very loud "OY" which does the trick, although
    with experience on my commute I can predict where I need to have my hand hovering over the air-
    zound button.

    Mike