Aitor Gonzalez

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Jesse T, Mar 11, 2003.

  1. Jesse T

    Jesse T Guest

    So, did anyone actually see his win this weekend @ Giro Della Provincia Di Reggio Calabria? I'd love
    to hear any opinions from an eye witness.

    http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/?id=2003/mar03/reggiocalabria03

    First race he's allowed to ride, he attacks on the descent and wins solo? How slick is that... Like
    in the Vuelta last year when he grabbed those seconds from Heras right before the time trial.

    Gonzales is going to be the best thing to watch all year. He's got a real team behind him (and how
    much better does Fassa look now that they dumped Casagrande and Belli? It's like a dark cloud lifted
    or something), he's aggessive, takes chances, can climb and TT. What more can you ask for?

    If he makes it to the Tour, it's actually going to be worth watching. Let ONCE suck wheel for three
    weeks, at least somebody is going to try something stupid/brave that has a chance of disrupting
    Postal's plan.

    We need more loose cannons...

    Jesse

    Tags:

  2. "jesse t" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > So, did anyone actually see his win this weekend @ Giro Della Provincia Di Reggio Calabria? I'd
    > love to hear any opinions from an eye witness.
    >
    > http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/?id=2003/mar03/reggiocalabria03
    >
    > First race he's allowed to ride, he attacks on the descent and wins solo? How slick is that...
    > Like in the Vuelta last year when he grabbed those seconds from Heras right before the time trial.
    >
    > Gonzales is going to be the best thing to watch all year. He's got a real team behind him (and how
    > much better does Fassa look now that they dumped Casagrande and Belli? It's like a dark cloud
    > lifted or something), he's aggessive, takes chances, can climb and TT. What more can you ask for?
    >
    > If he makes it to the Tour, it's actually going to be worth watching. Let ONCE suck wheel for
    > three weeks, at least somebody is going to try something stupid/brave that has a chance of
    > disrupting Postal's plan.
    >
    > We need more loose cannons...
    >

    > Jesse

    Amen! He could be tough in the TT, I don't think he has the climbing ability to be a serious threat.
    At least it's something to look forward to.

    -T

  3. Gord Woolley

    Gord Woolley Guest

    > If he makes it to the Tour, it's actually going to be worth watching. Let ONCE suck wheel for
    > three weeks, at least somebody is going to try something stupid/brave that has a chance of
    > disrupting Postal's plan.
    >
    > We need more loose cannons...

    FB indicated that his focus would be the Giro and the Vuelta, leaving Basso as the leader for the
    Tour. Basso has made some rumblings about challenging Lance at the TDF, but he doesn't have the
    experience or the workhorses to pull it off. Not yet, anyway.

  4. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    What is wrong with Belli?

    "jesse t" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > So, did anyone actually see his win this weekend @ Giro Della Provincia Di Reggio Calabria? I'd
    > love to hear any opinions from an eye witness.
    >
    > http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/?id=2003/mar03/reggiocalabria03
    >
    > First race he's allowed to ride, he attacks on the descent and wins solo? How slick is that...
    > Like in the Vuelta last year when he grabbed those seconds from Heras right before the time trial.
    >
    > Gonzales is going to be the best thing to watch all year. He's got a real team behind him (and how
    > much better does Fassa look now that they dumped Casagrande and Belli? It's like a dark cloud
    > lifted or something), he's aggessive, takes chances, can climb and TT. What more can you ask for?
    >
    > If he makes it to the Tour, it's actually going to be worth watching. Let ONCE suck wheel for
    > three weeks, at least somebody is going to try something stupid/brave that has a chance of
    > disrupting Postal's plan.
    >
    > We need more loose cannons...
    >

    > Jesse

  5. Steve

    Steve Guest

    On 3/11/03 11:31 AM, in article [email protected], "Nick Burns"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > What is wrong with Belli?

    Yea....... He throws a mean left jab!

    > "jesse t" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> So, did anyone actually see his win this weekend @ Giro Della Provincia Di Reggio Calabria? I'd
    >> love to hear any opinions from an eye witness.
    >>
    >> http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/?id=2003/mar03/reggiocalabria03
    >>
    >> First race he's allowed to ride, he attacks on the descent and wins solo? How slick is
    >> that... Like in the Vuelta last year when he grabbed those seconds from Heras right before
    >> the time trial.
    >>
    >> Gonzales is going to be the best thing to watch all year. He's got a real team behind him (and
    >> how much better does Fassa look now that they dumped Casagrande and Belli? It's like a dark cloud
    >> lifted or something), he's aggessive, takes chances, can climb and TT. What more can you ask for?
    >>
    >> If he makes it to the Tour, it's actually going to be worth watching. Let ONCE suck wheel for
    >> three weeks, at least somebody is going to try something stupid/brave that has a chance of
    >> disrupting Postal's plan.
    >>
    >> We need more loose cannons...
    >>

    >> Jesse

  6. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    About the same as Bugno. So what?

    "steve" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BA937BB3.31A4B%[email protected]...
    > On 3/11/03 11:31 AM, in article [email protected],
    "Nick
    > Burns" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > What is wrong with Belli?
    >

    > Yea....... He throws a mean left jab!
    > >

    > > "jesse t" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > >> So, did anyone actually see his win this weekend @ Giro Della Provincia Di Reggio Calabria? I'd
    > >> love to hear any opinions from an eye witness.
    > >>
    > >> http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/?id=2003/mar03/reggiocalabria03
    > >>
    > >> First race he's allowed to ride, he attacks on the descent and wins solo? How slick is that...
    > >> Like in the Vuelta last year when he grabbed those seconds from Heras right before the time
    > >> trial.
    > >>
    > >> Gonzales is going to be the best thing to watch all year. He's got a real team behind him (and
    > >> how much better does Fassa look now that they dumped Casagrande and Belli? It's like a dark
    > >> cloud lifted or something), he's aggessive, takes chances, can climb and TT. What more can you
    > >> ask for?
    > >>
    > >> If he makes it to the Tour, it's actually going to be worth watching. Let ONCE suck wheel for
    > >> three weeks, at least somebody is going to try something stupid/brave that has a chance of
    > >> disrupting Postal's plan.
    > >>
    > >> We need more loose cannons...
    > >>

    > >> Jesse

  7. Kenny

    Kenny Guest

    > Gonzales is going to be the best thing to watch all year. He's got a real team behind him (and how
    > much better does Fassa look now that they dumped Casagrande and Belli? It's like a dark cloud
    > lifted or something).

    Don't forget it's allways the rider who has to do it. Your team may as strong as possible if you're
    not optimal prepared it won't work out. I think his TT ablities are about the same as Lance, but his
    climbing capability isn't. But seing him climbing in the vuelta with many rotations (like Lance) i
    hope he can approve this to come closer to the climbing ability of Lance. I think if he's perfectly
    prepared he makes the podium of the Tour.

  8. Raptor

    Raptor Guest

    Kenny wrote:
    >>Gonzales is going to be the best thing to watch all year. He's got a real team behind him (and how
    >>much better does Fassa look now that they dumped Casagrande and Belli? It's like a dark cloud
    >>lifted or something).
    >

    > Don't forget it's allways the rider who has to do it. Your team may as strong as possible if
    > you're not optimal prepared it won't work out. I think his TT ablities are about the same as
    > Lance, but his climbing capability isn't. But seing him climbing in the vuelta with many rotations
    > (like Lance) i hope he can approve this to come closer to the climbing ability of Lance. I think
    > if he's perfectly prepared he makes the podium of the Tour.

    Given his progress over recent years, he could become an actual challenger. He improved from a
    sporting, aggressive domestique to a contender to a grand tour champion. Perhaps next year his team
    will put him in the TdF. Assuming a lot of things between now and then, it would add drama to
    Lance's sixth victory attempt.

  9. Keith

    Keith Guest

    >> If he makes it to the Tour, it's actually going to be worth watching. Let ONCE suck wheel for
    >> three weeks, at least somebody is going to try something stupid/brave that has a chance of
    >> disrupting Postal's plan.
    >>
    >> We need more loose cannons...
    >>

    >FB indicated that his focus would be the Giro and the Vuelta, leaving Basso as the leader for the
    >Tour. Basso has made some rumblings about challenging Lance at the TDF, but he doesn't have the
    >experience or the workhorses to pull it off. Not yet, anyway.

    Yeah I read that too, kinda stupid IMHO, although winning the Giro and the Vuelta is nothing to
    sneeze at!