Al Gore : Nobel prize

Fatherzen said:
I was not attempting to claim superior brain power to the Norwegians or claim that they awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for work to raise awareness of Global Warming instead of work towards peace because of a lack of intelligence. I was attempting to claim superior brain power to some, not all, but some, of the individuals who posted comments in this thread. It was not directed at you, limerickman.

You have been around since 2003 also. 34 posts to 5000+.
I feel like a "posting prostitute".

jhuskey said:
You have been around since 2003 also. 34 posts to 5000+.
I feel like a "posting prostitute".

I don't often have much to add to the conversation, and rarely anything intelligent. When I do enter the conversation, I try not to hold too much back.

[QUOTE=, and rarely anything intelligent.

That stipulation has never held me back. :D

threaded said:
And everyone was sure the Earth was flat and had lots of proof. :rolleyes:
In fact, flat earth belief is a lot more like the head in the sand attitude of those who don't wish to consider the evidence for anthropogenic climate change.

threaded said:
You're maybe not old enough to know, but in the 1970's 'the science' 'proved' we were heading for another ice-age.

When you get old and crusty like me, you see these things for what they are.
True, but as a child in the 70s I knew also of the greenhouse effect causing global warming as a hypothesis, and as a child believed that it would be much hotter when I grew up.
What you're telling us is that science generates hypotheses and follows them up. It's becoming clear which of those two 70s hypotheses is the frontrunner.

threaded said:
We've been over this before. Most reputable scientists say 'global warming' is a mildly amusing con on a gullible public
Ah, the muttering uncited sources fallacy...a very common ploy on internet fora!
Come on then, give us some names or papers...
I'll start: read a few of J.E. Hansen's papers. He is a US Government scientist.

threaded said:
Nobel also said it was to be awarded by Norwegians. I'm pretty sure he meant by that, people with no interest in international politics. So that's another blow against this years award.
Don't you mean Swedes?

Fatherzen said:
Al Gore and the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change were awarded the award "for their efforts to build up and disseminate greater knowledge about man-made climate change, and to lay the foundations for the measures that are needed to counteract such change"

If you believe that those two are the same things then I will not even recommend help, because you are beyond it.
If you can't see a link between possible accelerating anthropogenic climate change, flooding of some of the world's most populated areas, famine and future world peace, well then I don't think that we''ll convince you of anything.

artemidorus said:
If you can't see a link between possible accelerating anthropogenic climate change, flooding of some of the world's most populated areas, famine and future world peace, well then I don't think that we''ll convince you of anything.

Yup. Changes in climate will precipitate wars over resources other than oil, resources like water, timber, food.

artemidorus said:
Don't you mean Swedes?
Absolutely not. I meant Norwegians. There was a very specific reason for selecting Norwegians to award that prize, but time passes and things change.

artemidorus said:
Such doomsaying. As most of the worlds most populated areas are on flood plains, and even near where I live they are building new houses on top of an ancient spring, flooding is to be expected. I would say welcomed, shouldn't build on prime farm land it's a dumb thing to do. Anyways, the human experience of the world has on the whole always got better, so why should the trend suddenly change?

threaded said:
flooding is to be expected. I would say welcomed, shouldn't build on prime farm land it's a dumb thing to do.
Yes, let's drown 100 million Bangladeshis and Dutch, they deserve it, the dumb bastards.

threaded said:
Anyways, the human experience of the world has on the whole always got better, so why should the trend suddenly change?
I'm seeing this rosy progression of humankind into eternity...not. I'd love it to be true, but you have to look about you. Maybe anthropogenic warming is a furphy - when that has been demonstrated, we can all go for a relaxing drive in the Hummer. Until then, I'll listen to the experts.

artemidorus said:
Yes, let's drown 100 million Bangladeshis and Dutch, they deserve it, the dumb bastards.
Yes, Bangladesh is a good example of what will happen if these global warming loons get their way. Instead of drowning in floods, like they have for thousands of years, they'll all be starving to death because they can't afford food. The food being diverted to make bio-diesel for first-worlders to put in their cars to make themselves feel good about staving off something that is an utter fantasy.

And that last part is already happening. The IMF is already making noises about the rise in third world food prices due to the diversion of food to make fuel.

threaded said:
Yes, Bangladesh is a good example of what will happen if these global warming loons get their way. Instead of drowning in floods, like they have for thousands of years, they'll all be starving to death because they can't afford food. The food being diverted to make bio-diesel for first-worlders to put in their cars to make themselves feel good about staving off something that is an utter fantasy.

And that last part is already happening. The IMF is already making noises about the rise in third world food prices due to the diversion of food to make fuel.
Yeah, that makes sense - just because one (small) part of the global response is maladaptive, why don't we just forget the whole problem? Where's my Hummer?

artemidorus said:
Yeah, that makes sense - just because one (small) part of the global response is maladaptive, why don't we just forget the whole problem? Where's my Hummer?
But there is no problem to ignore. :rolleyes:

artemidorus said:
Healthy scepticism I can respect, but not a closed mind. Sorry, my friend, but your argument is bankrupt.
But there is no argument, it's just a bunch of snake-oil salesmen pulling a fast one. :rolleyes:

"We are at the top of the food chain, control our own destiny and have been in control for countless ages".

Quote: From unknown dinousaur.