Al T. makes it official - He's bored

OnThaBeach

Guest
Be sure to watch the tail end of the OLN post race show on Sunday.

For the A.M. live edition, Al let loose that he's bored. No mountains. No time
trial. Just Lance, Jan and Tyler hiding out in the pack.

Bob, Phil and Paul took Al to the clearners after that comment. Maybe ESPN will
book Al on "Pardon the Interuption."

Bryan

"OnThaBeach" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Be sure to watch the tail end of the OLN post race show on Sunday.
>
> For the A.M. live edition, Al let loose that he's bored. No mountains. No

time
> trial. Just Lance, Jan and Tyler hiding out in the pack.
>
> Bob, Phil and Paul took Al to the clearners after that comment. Maybe ESPN

will
> book Al on "Pardon the Interuption."
>
> Bryan

I saw that as well. So much for his claim that he's a cycling fan. He has
no clue how a stage race is raced. He complained about it being just
another long, boring stage with three guys in a breakaway and then cut off
Paul as Paul attempted to explain the subtleties of the stage. He may have
called a race or two (Olympics maybe), but the guy is clueless. And to make
it worse... he's loudly proclaims his clueless-ness.

Keep flooding OLN with email. Remember, NBC changed its primetime coverage
of the Utah Winter Olympics after the first few days because of all the
negative feedback. Al needs to come down with a case of the "flu" for two
weeks.

"Bestest Handsander" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> "OnThaBeach" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >

> > Be sure to watch the tail end of the OLN post race show on Sunday.
> >
> > For the A.M. live edition, Al let loose that he's bored. No mountains.

No
> time
> > trial. Just Lance, Jan and Tyler hiding out in the pack.
> >
> > Bob, Phil and Paul took Al to the clearners after that comment. Maybe

ESPN
> will
> > book Al on "Pardon the Interuption."
> >
> > Bryan

> I saw that as well. So much for his claim that he's a cycling fan. He

has
> no clue how a stage race is raced. He complained about it being just
> another long, boring stage with three guys in a breakaway and then cut off
> Paul as Paul attempted to explain the subtleties of the stage. He may

have
> called a race or two (Olympics maybe), but the guy is clueless. And to

make
> it worse... he's loudly proclaims his clueless-ness.
>
> Keep flooding OLN with email. Remember, NBC changed its primetime

coverage
> of the Utah Winter Olympics after the first few days because of all the
> negative feedback. Al needs to come down with a case of the "flu" for two
> weeks.

Perhaps they can get him a two week gig at The Scooter Store.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (OnThaBeach) wrote:

> Be sure to watch the tail end of the OLN post race show on Sunday.
>
> For the A.M. live edition, Al let loose that he's bored. No mountains. No
> time
> trial. Just Lance, Jan and Tyler hiding out in the pack.
>
> Bob, Phil and Paul took Al to the clearners after that comment. Maybe ESPN
> will
> book Al on "Pardon the Interuption."

That was frigging retarded. Al is bored after a brilliant rising-sprint
finish won by Hushovd's superb show of power, after a couple of daring
breakaways, and after some pretty good action.

The worst part was his boredom didn't seem to be based on the actual
racing action, but on the fact that the GC riders hadn't established
their leadership yet.

It was a dumb comment, informed by the idea that the GC is the only
contest that matters, and that nothing can affect the GC chase in the
early, flat days (tell that to Mayo. Tell that to Leipheimer or
Hamilton).

I sort of understand the perspective: the Tour organizers set up a
program that was as likely as possible to not cause any notable GC
differentiation before Bastille Day (and will I be staying home and
watching that one live? Oh yeah. Flex days rule). It seems almost cruel,
though it has given USA Today lots of chances to write man-bites-dog
stories about how it's not a big deal that Lance lost the yellow jersey
by nine minutes. Maybe USPS did that on purpose so that American
journalists would have to write some articles explaining how the GC
strategies work.

On the other hand, I think that Trautwig, to his credit, is there to
play a combo of devil's (the other one) advocate, and to ask the "naïve"
questions that your typical once-a-year Lance fan might be asking.
Actually, they're the same questions all my co-workers keep asking me
(except the Colombians; they just keep going around muttering stuff
about Nozal). It's a dirty job, but OLN gets lots of viewers for its
coverage, and I suspect most of them know about as much about cycling as
this newsgroup does about bull-riding (why are cowboys such lousy
lovers? They think 8 seconds is a good ride). OLN can't just let the
commentators nerd out about how Ullrich is the Zoetemelk of his era,
because most of the audience has never heard of Joop, has barely heard
of Jan, and doesn't know what the point of comparison would be.

And another moment of praise: has anyone heard Phil describe the pack as
"literally exploding" this year? Whatever OLN used to treat that
particular verbal tic, it worked.

--
Ryan Cousineau, [email protected] http://www.wiredcola.com
President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club

>Keep flooding OLN with email. Remember, NBC changed its primetime coverage

of the Utah Winter Olympics after the first few days because of all the
negative feedback. Al needs to come down with a case of the "flu" for two
weeks.<

Maybe Brent Musberger is available?????

Unbelievable. I didn't like him anyway. Especially with his candy ass 5
Battles Won. But this is truly outrageous. Here's what I sent OLN...

"
If Al is so bored with the Tour, why not get someone else that understands
the race? You would think it would be better for ratings to discuss how
exciting the Tour is and its subleties rather than arguing over how boring
it is. I'd get rid of him quick so save your ratings and cycling in the US.
It's hard enough to get people interested without the show lead himself
dismissing it as boring!!!"

"OnThaBeach" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Be sure to watch the tail end of the OLN post race show on Sunday.
>
> For the A.M. live edition, Al let loose that he's bored. No mountains. No

time
> trial. Just Lance, Jan and Tyler hiding out in the pack.
>
> Bob, Phil and Paul took Al to the clearners after that comment. Maybe ESPN

will
> book Al on "Pardon the Interuption."
>
> Bryan

On 07/11/2004 04:51 PM, in article
[email protected], "Ryan Cousineau"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> (except the Colombians; they just keep going around muttering stuff
> about Nozal).

So what has Isidro Nozal done that he's raised the ire of the Colombians?

--
Steven L. Sheffield
stevens at veloworks dot com

> For the A.M. live edition, Al let loose that he's bored. No mountains. No time
> trial. Just Lance, Jan and Tyler hiding out in the pack.

I'll admit that I only watch the TdF, so my knowledge of bike racing is
not extensive. But it ain't boring! I'm sitting in front of my TV every
day for a few hours watching guys ride their bikes, and what makes it
interesting is all the different races within the race, the insight that
the commentators offer, etc. For me it's not about Lance going for 6.
It's about the races for the other jerseys other than yellow, the
tactics used by various teams, the breakaways and the chases, etc. I
wish we could hear what the riders are saying over radio to their team
cars, to give a different perspective on what we are seeing. I can do
without ignorant asses like Al and the Cutters. On paper I'm their
audience, but they are not what I want to watch.

In article <BD1740F5.3AB7A%[email protected]>,
"Steven L. Sheffield" <[email protected]> wrote:

> On 07/11/2004 04:51 PM, in article
> [email protected], "Ryan Cousineau"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > (except the Colombians; they just keep going around muttering stuff
> > about Nozal).

> So what has Isidro Nozal done that he's raised the ire of the Colombians?

Took Victor Hugo Pena's spot on the team, and so far has proven
incapable of keeping up in the TTT. Pena was the first Colombian to wear
the yellow jersey.

To Nozal's credit, his job doesn't start until the course turns upward.
We'll see if he's ready for the mountains.

--

max taylor wrote:
>> For the A.M. live edition, Al let loose that he's bored. No mountains.
>> No time
>> trial. Just Lance, Jan and Tyler hiding out in the pack.

> I'll admit that I only watch the TdF, so my knowledge of bike racing is
> not extensive. But it ain't boring! I'm sitting in front of my TV every
> day for a few hours watching guys ride their bikes, and what makes it
> interesting is all the different races within the race, the insight that
> the commentators offer, etc. For me it's not about Lance going for 6.
> It's about the races for the other jerseys other than yellow, the
> tactics used by various teams, the breakaways and the chases, etc. I
> wish we could hear what the riders are saying over radio to their team
> cars, to give a different perspective on what we are seeing. I can do
> without ignorant asses like Al and the Cutters. On paper I'm their
> audience, but they are not what I want to watch.

It's a bit like watching golf too, in that they scenery is usually
interesting. It makes good background noise/video while being productive.

Al T. is playing Devil's Advocate, trying to get P&P to explain why
these flat stages are interesting. They didn't do a very good job of
taking the bait.

I've taken a couple of these flat rides into the indoor cycling room as
an instructor. They are NOT boring if you're riding them, or even
pretending to ride them for 45 minutes.

"We should not march into Baghdad. ... Assigning young soldiers to
a fruitless hunt for a securely entrenched dictator and condemning
them to fight in what would be an unwinnable urban guerilla war, it
could only plunge that part of the world into ever greater
instability." George Bush Sr. in his 1998 book "A World Transformed"

On Monday 12 July 2004 06:28, Ryan Cousineau wrote:
>> So what has Isidro Nozal done that he's raised the ire of the
>> Colombians?

> Took Victor Hugo Pena's spot on the team

NOVVVVVVVVAL, not Nozal. There's Bennie Noval (US Postal-Berry
Floor-Discovery-AMD professional cycling team), and Isi Nozal (Liberty
Seguros).

in article [email protected], max taylor at m@t wrote on 7/11/04
8:23 PM:

>> For the A.M. live edition, Al let loose that he's bored. No mountains. No
>> time
>> trial. Just Lance, Jan and Tyler hiding out in the pack.

> I'll admit that I only watch the TdF, so my knowledge of bike racing is
> not extensive. But it ain't boring! I'm sitting in front of my TV every
> day for a few hours watching guys ride their bikes, and what makes it
> interesting is all the different races within the race, the insight that
> the commentators offer, etc. For me it's not about Lance going for 6.
> It's about the races for the other jerseys other than yellow, the
> tactics used by various teams, the breakaways and the chases, etc. I
> wish we could hear what the riders are saying over radio to their team
> cars, to give a different perspective on what we are seeing. I can do
> without ignorant asses like Al and the Cutters. On paper I'm their
> audience, but they are not what I want to watch.

You sound like my kind of guy. Stick with us awhile, you'll have a lot of
fun following the other races as well. The Tour is only one landmark of the
season, and there are many many others... my personal favorite being the
traditional Italian season closer, November's one-day Giro di Lombardia, the
"race of the falling leaves." It really is a great thing to follow the
season as it develops, day in and day out...

-Sonarrat.

in article [email protected], Ryan Cousineau at

> In article <BD1740F5.3AB7A%[email protected]>,
> "Steven L. Sheffield" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> On 07/11/2004 04:51 PM, in article
>> [email protected], "Ryan Cousineau"
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> (except the Colombians; they just keep going around muttering stuff
>>> about Nozal).

>> So what has Isidro Nozal done that he's raised the ire of the Colombians?

> Took Victor Hugo Pena's spot on the team, and so far has proven
> incapable of keeping up in the TTT. Pena was the first Colombian to wear
> the yellow jersey.
>
> To Nozal's credit, his job doesn't start until the course turns upward.
> We'll see if he's ready for the mountains.

Wrong team.

On 07/11/2004 10:28 PM, in article
<[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <BD1740F5.3AB7A%[email protected]>,
> "Steven L. Sheffield" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> On 07/11/2004 04:51 PM, in article
>> [email protected], "Ryan Cousineau"
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> (except the Colombians; they just keep going around muttering stuff
>>> about Nozal).

>> So what has Isidro Nozal done that he's raised the ire of the Colombians?

> Took Victor Hugo Pena's spot on the team, and so far has proven
> incapable of keeping up in the TTT. Pena was the first Colombian to wear
> the yellow jersey.

But Isidro Nozal rides for Liberty Seguros, whilst Victor Hugo Pena rides
for USPS-Berry Floor.

Could you perhaps be referring to Benjamin Noval, who crashed heavily the
day before the TTT, as the riders were about to hit the first cobbled
section, on the stage to Wasquehal?

"Richard Adams" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> Noval. Benjamin Noval. Not Nozal, as in Isidro Nozal the rider for
> Liberty Seguros.
>
> I suppose even Big Al might get that right more often then rbr
> posters.

But can he spell Dierckxsens?

Bestest Handsander wrote:
> "OnThaBeach" <[email protected]> wrote in message

>>For the A.M. live edition, Al let loose that he's bored. No mountains. No

> I saw that as well. So much for his claim that he's a cycling fan. He has
> no clue how a stage race is raced.

It struck me that what irritates me about Big Al, Kirsten Gum, Bob
Varsha, Adrian Karsten, etc going back is that they don't even try and
hide the fact that they're just here for a temp gig. They'll do it a
year, then go on to something else and say they've done cycling. ****
'em. Phil & Paul & Bob Roll do it because they've loved it their whole
lives, & they'll keep on doing it until they're retired.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Richard Adams) wrote:

> Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > [email protected] (OnThaBeach) wrote:

> [snip]
> > (except the Colombians; they just keep going around muttering stuff
> > about Nozal).

> [snip]
>
> Noval. Benjamin Noval. Not Nozal, as in Isidro Nozal the rider for
> Liberty Seguros.
>
> I suppose even Big Al might get that right more often then rbr
> posters.

D'oh. I are a dumbass.

Yes. Noval. The USPS rider. D'oh.

--

Carl Sundquist wrote:

> "Richard Adams" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
>>Noval. Benjamin Noval. Not Nozal, as in Isidro Nozal the rider for
>>Liberty Seguros.
>>
>>I suppose even Big Al might get that right more often then rbr
>>posters.

> But can he spell Dierckxsens?

Heck, that's easy, it's:

D-I-E-R-C-K-X-J-E-F-F-J-O-N-E-S