alan bike value?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Kiwibiker, Feb 4, 2003.

  1. Kiwibiker

    Kiwibiker Guest

    Hi could anybody give me a rough idea of the 2ndhand value of an Alan bike which I specify below-

    Alan - columbus altec2 Campag Chorus set, 9 speed montreal ambrosio wheel rims Italia seat keywin
    pedals cinelli handle bars

    All in good condition, about 5 years old

    Actually even a rough value of what this would have been to buy new would be useful

    much appreciated

    remove the word spam from email address when replying by email

    Tags:

  2. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    Rough new price from a shop about $3K. A 5 year old bike of this type is hard to judge and depends
    on what you want and what you're willing to pay for it. Be sure and have it inspected closely
    since Altec is a somewhat light tubeset and can crack around the bottom bracket like all light
    aluminum bikes.

    Alan is a good manufacturer but I don't know if they made that one. There's a lot of this buying and
    relabeling stuff going on.

    "kiwibiker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi could anybody give me a rough idea of the 2ndhand value of an
    Alan bike
    > which I specify below-
    >
    > Alan - columbus altec2 Campag Chorus set, 9 speed montreal ambrosio wheel rims Italia seat keywin
    > pedals cinelli handle bars
    >
    > All in good condition, about 5 years old
    >
    > Actually even a rough value of what this would have been to buy new
    would be
    > useful
    >
    > much appreciated
    >
    > remove the word spam from email address when replying by email

  3. Kiwibiker

    Kiwibiker Guest

    Thanks, is that US dollars? Actually I am not looking at buying this bike, this is all to do with a
    divorce settlement where the person who has the bike has had it valued at $1500 and I just want to
    check that I am not getting ripped off as the shop that valued it may not have a clue to the value
    of this bike as they don't sell racing bikes, anyhow the value seemed a bit low to me but then I
    have been out of cycle racing for more than 10 years now and am very out of touch, I just need a
    rough idea of value so I know if I should accept the valuation. The bike is in very good condition.
    The frame was imported by a local cyclist who builds bikes and sells them.

    Thanks

    > Rough new price from a shop about $3K. A 5 year old bike of this type is hard to judge and depends
    > on what you want and what you're willing to pay for it. Be sure and have it inspected closely
    > since Altec is a somewhat light tubeset and can crack around the bottom bracket like all light
    > aluminum bikes.
    >
    > Alan is a good manufacturer but I don't know if they made that one. There's a lot of this buying
    > and relabeling stuff going on.
    >
    > "kiwibiker" <[email protected]l.com> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Hi could anybody give me a rough idea of the 2ndhand value of an
    > Alan bike
    > > which I specify below-
    > >
    > > Alan - columbus altec2 Campag Chorus set, 9 speed montreal ambrosio wheel rims Italia seat
    > > keywin pedals cinelli handle bars
    > >
    > > All in good condition, about 5 years old
    > >
    > > Actually even a rough value of what this would have been to buy new
    > would be
    > > useful
    > >
    > > much appreciated
    > >
    > > remove the word spam from email address when replying by email

  4. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    I would think that $1500 NZ is a pretty high price for a 5 year old bike.

    I paid $3600 US for an Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1 in about '95. The Alan frame is probably a little
    cheaper than the Merckx was here and I had a Chorus group on it at that time.

    "kiwibiker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Thanks, is that US dollars? Actually I am not looking at buying this bike, this is all to do
    with a
    > divorce settlement where the person who has the bike has had it
    valued at
    > $1500 and I just want to check that I am not getting ripped off as
    the shop
    > that valued it may not have a clue to the value of this bike as they
    don't
    > sell racing bikes, anyhow the value seemed a bit low to me but then
    I have
    > been out of cycle racing for more than 10 years now and am very out
    of
    > touch, I just need a rough idea of value so I know if I should
    accept the
    > valuation. The bike is in very good condition. The frame was
    imported by a
    > local cyclist who builds bikes and sells them.
    >
    > Thanks

    > > Rough new price from a shop about $3K. A 5 year old bike of this
    type
    > > is hard to judge and depends on what you want and what you're
    willing
    > > to pay for it. Be sure and have it inspected closely since Altec
    is a
    > > somewhat light tubeset and can crack around the bottom bracket
    like
    > > all light aluminum bikes.
    > >
    > > Alan is a good manufacturer but I don't know if they made that
    one.
    > > There's a lot of this buying and relabeling stuff going on.
    > >
    > > "kiwibiker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > > Hi could anybody give me a rough idea of the 2ndhand value of an
    > > Alan bike
    > > > which I specify below-
    > > >
    > > > Alan - columbus altec2 Campag Chorus set, 9 speed montreal ambrosio wheel rims Italia seat
    > > > keywin pedals cinelli handle bars
    > > >
    > > > All in good condition, about 5 years old
    > > >
    > > > Actually even a rough value of what this would have been to buy
    new
    > > would be
    > > > useful
    > > >
    > > > much appreciated
    > > >
    > > > remove the word spam from email address when replying by email

  5. Kiwibiker

    Kiwibiker Guest

    You must be joking, US $820, I don't think so.

    > I would think that $1500 NZ is a pretty high price for a 5 year old bike.
    >
    > I paid $3600 US for an Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1 in about '95. The Alan frame is probably a little
    > cheaper than the Merckx was here and I had a Chorus group on it at that time.
    >
    > "kiwibiker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Thanks, is that US dollars? Actually I am not looking at buying this bike, this is all to do
    > with a
    > > divorce settlement where the person who has the bike has had it
    > valued at
    > > $1500 and I just want to check that I am not getting ripped off as
    > the shop
    > > that valued it may not have a clue to the value of this bike as they
    > don't
    > > sell racing bikes, anyhow the value seemed a bit low to me but then
    > I have
    > > been out of cycle racing for more than 10 years now and am very out
    > of
    > > touch, I just need a rough idea of value so I know if I should
    > accept the
    > > valuation. The bike is in very good condition. The frame was
    > imported by a
    > > local cyclist who builds bikes and sells them.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >

    > > "Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Rough new price from a shop about $3K. A 5 year old bike of this
    > type
    > > > is hard to judge and depends on what you want and what you're
    > willing
    > > > to pay for it. Be sure and have it inspected closely since Altec
    > is a
    > > > somewhat light tubeset and can crack around the bottom bracket
    > like
    > > > all light aluminum bikes.
    > > >
    > > > Alan is a good manufacturer but I don't know if they made that
    > one.
    > > > There's a lot of this buying and relabeling stuff going on.

    > > > Alan bike

    > new
    > > > would be

  6. Kiwibiker

    Kiwibiker Guest

    The $1500 is US dollars by the way and it's a maximum of 5 years old, I can't remember really, it
    could be as little as 3 years old.

    "kiwibiker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Thanks, is that US dollars? Actually I am not looking at buying this bike, this is all to do with
    > a divorce settlement where the person who has the bike has had it valued at $1500 and I just want
    > to check that I am not getting ripped off as the
    shop
    > that valued it may not have a clue to the value of this bike as they don't sell racing bikes,
    > anyhow the value seemed a bit low to me but then I have been out of cycle racing for more than 10
    > years now and am very out of touch, I just need a rough idea of value so I know if I should accept
    > the valuation. The bike is in very good condition. The frame was imported by a local cyclist who
    > builds bikes and sells them.
    >
    > Thanks

    > > Rough new price from a shop about $3K. A 5 year old bike of this type is hard to judge and
    > > depends on what you want and what you're willing to pay for it. Be sure and have it inspected
    > > closely since Altec is a somewhat light tubeset and can crack around the bottom bracket like all
    > > light aluminum bikes.
    > >
    > > Alan is a good manufacturer but I don't know if they made that one. There's a lot of this buying
    > > and relabeling stuff going on.
    > >
    > > "kiwibiker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > > Hi could anybody give me a rough idea of the 2ndhand value of an
    > > Alan bike
    > > > which I specify below-
    > > >
    > > > Alan - columbus altec2 Campag Chorus set, 9 speed montreal ambrosio wheel rims Italia seat
    > > > keywin pedals cinelli handle bars
    > > >
    > > > All in good condition, about 5 years old
    > > >
    > > > Actually even a rough value of what this would have been to buy new
    > > would be
    > > > useful
    > > >
    > > > much appreciated
    > > >
    > > > remove the word spam from email address when replying by email

  7. Actually - I've got to side with Kunich on this one. 5 Years is an eon as it relates to components
    especially. Bikes loose value very quickly - just check ebay to see what 5 year old bikes go for.
    People don't want to pay for used, out of date components. If you want to put a "value" on that bike
    - I think $800 US is pretty close.

    Now - if you are talking legal "new replacement of equal quality" (like if you were hit by a car),
    then you get to assign a value to what a similarly spec'd bike would cost today. That way, there
    isn't the issue of a buyer and you can go get a bike in a comperably market position (Chorus,
    mid-upper frame, etc, etc). That would be closer to $3000 US.

    -a

    "kiwibiker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > You must be joking, US $820, I don't think so.

    > > I would think that $1500 NZ is a pretty high price for a 5 year old bike.
    > >
    > > I paid $3600 US for an Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1 in about '95. The Alan frame is probably a little
    > > cheaper than the Merckx was here and I had a Chorus group on it at that time.

  8. Kiwibiker

    Kiwibiker Guest

    Thanks, that's a useful assessment, thanks. The later price that you gave is more like I thought,
    you bring a good point up on 2ndhand value and replacement value, that is a very good point. Still I
    am very surprised at how much you think bikes devalue, 10 years ago here in New Zealand that was
    certainly not the case, not sure about now, it maybe a country specific thing and it probably
    depends on how much componentry has change over the last 5 years, like when they went from gear
    changing on the bike frame to handle bar gear changing, that would have obsoleted a lot of bikes and
    caused a greater devaluing than normal.

    "Andrew Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Actually - I've got to side with Kunich on this one. 5 Years is an eon as it relates to components
    > especially. Bikes loose value very quickly - just check ebay to see what 5 year old bikes go for.
    > People don't want to pay for used, out of date components. If you want to put a "value" on that
    > bike - I think $800 US is pretty close.
    >
    > Now - if you are talking legal "new replacement of equal quality" (like if you were hit by a car),
    > then you get to assign a value to what a similarly spec'd bike would cost today. That way, there
    > isn't the issue of a buyer and you can go get a bike in a comperably market position (Chorus,
    > mid-upper frame, etc, etc). That would be closer to $3000 US.
    >
    > -a
    >

    > "kiwibiker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > You must be joking, US $820, I don't think so.
    > >

    > > "Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > I would think that $1500 NZ is a pretty high price for a 5 year old bike.
    > > >
    > > > I paid $3600 US for an Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1 in about '95. The Alan frame is probably a little
    > > > cheaper than the Merckx was here and I had a Chorus group on it at that time.

  9. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    10 years ago you could only buy downtube Campi shifting and it didn't even index vey well. (That was
    the original Syncro shifter if I recall properly - Syncro II on the other hand was and is
    marvelous.)

    10 years ago the best tubing for a bike was Reynolds 531 and Columbus SLX. Neither is highly sought
    after now. Your Alan was glued and screwed in those days and could be essentially worthless as a
    useable frame except to someone that wanted a collectors item to ride.

    Such a bike with such equipment would be almost worthless right now except to someone that wanted
    exactly the bike you were offering.

    "kiwibiker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Thanks, that's a useful assessment, thanks. The later price that you
    gave is
    > more like I thought, you bring a good point up on 2ndhand value and replacement value, that is a
    > very good point. Still I am very
    surprised at
    > how much you think bikes devalue, 10 years ago here in New Zealand
    that was
    > certainly not the case, not sure about now, it maybe a country
    specific
    > thing and it probably depends on how much componentry has change
    over the
    > last 5 years, like when they went from gear changing on the bike
    frame to
    > handle bar gear changing, that would have obsoleted a lot of bikes
    and
    > caused a greater devaluing than normal.
    >

    > "Andrew Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:867aa7dd.0[email protected]...
    > > Actually - I've got to side with Kunich on this one. 5 Years is
    an
    > > eon as it relates to components especially. Bikes loose value
    very
    > > quickly - just check ebay to see what 5 year old bikes go for.
    People
    > > don't want to pay for used, out of date components. If you want
    > > put a "value" on that bike - I think $800 US is pretty close.
    > >
    > > Now - if you are talking legal "new replacement of equal quality" (like if you were hit by a
    > > car), then you get to assign a value to what a similarly spec'd bike would cost today. That
    > > way, there
    isn't
    > > the issue of a buyer and you can go get a bike in a comperably
    market
    > > position (Chorus, mid-upper frame, etc, etc). That would be
    closer to
    > > $3000 US.
    > >
    > > -a
    > >

    > > "kiwibiker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > You must be joking, US $820, I don't think so.
    > > >

    > > > "Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:[email protected]...

    Alan

  10. Kiwibiker

    Kiwibiker Guest

    The Alan is 3-5 years old, you are talking about a 10 year old alan if I understand you correctly.

    > 10 years ago you could only buy downtube Campi shifting and it didn't even index vey well. (That
    > was the original Syncro shifter if I recall properly - Syncro II on the other hand was and is
    > marvelous.)
    >
    > 10 years ago the best tubing for a bike was Reynolds 531 and Columbus SLX. Neither is highly
    > sought after now. Your Alan was glued and screwed in those days and could be essentially worthless
    > as a useable frame except to someone that wanted a collectors item to ride.
    >
    > Such a bike with such equipment would be almost worthless right now except to someone that wanted
    > exactly the bike you were offering.
    >
    > "kiwibiker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Thanks, that's a useful assessment, thanks. The later price that you
    > gave is
    > > more like I thought, you bring a good point up on 2ndhand value and replacement value, that is a
    > > very good point. Still I am very
    > surprised at
    > > how much you think bikes devalue, 10 years ago here in New Zealand
    > that was
    > > certainly not the case, not sure about now, it maybe a country
    > specific
    > > thing and it probably depends on how much componentry has change
    > over the
    > > last 5 years, like when they went from gear changing on the bike
    > frame to
    > > handle bar gear changing, that would have obsoleted a lot of bikes
    > and
    > > caused a greater devaluing than normal.
    > >

    > > "Andrew Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Actually - I've got to side with Kunich on this one. 5 Years is
    > an
    > > > eon as it relates to components especially. Bikes loose value
    > very
    > > > quickly - just check ebay to see what 5 year old bikes go for.
    > People
    > > > don't want to pay for used, out of date components. If you want
    > > > put a "value" on that bike - I think $800 US is pretty close.
    > > >
    > > > Now - if you are talking legal "new replacement of equal quality" (like if you were hit by a
    > > > car), then you get to assign a value to what a similarly spec'd bike would cost today. That
    > > > way, there
    > isn't
    > > > the issue of a buyer and you can go get a bike in a comperably
    > market
    > > > position (Chorus, mid-upper frame, etc, etc). That would be
    > closer to
    > > > $3000 US.
    > > >
    > > > -a
    > > >

    > > > "kiwibiker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:<[email protected]>...

    > year old

    > Alan
    > and I had

  11. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "kiwibiker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > The Alan is 3-5 years old, you are talking about a 10 year old alan if I understand you correctly.

    No, I was just addressing your comments about 10 years ago by demonstrating that a ten year old bike
    was essentially worthless. You can't buy replacement parts for the components from that time very
    easily and in some cases not at all. Hell, you can't even buy replacement Sachs Ergo levers from 6
    years ago.

    All of this militates against high quality bicycles retaining their financial worth even though they
    can be in like-new condition after 50,000 miles.