Alaska's first Critical Mass

Dennis P. Harri

Guest
Alaska DOT wants to remove the bike lanes from the Juneau-Douglas Bridge and turn it into a 3 lane
roadway with a !reversible! lane, a proven accident-causer, in order to solve supposed traffic
volume problems 20 years from now.

The Juneau City-Borough Assembly unfortunately bought into this idiotic idea on a 5-4 vote. So
Juneau cyclists held Alaska's first Critical Mass ride during Juneau's half-hour "rush hour"
last night.

See http://www.juneauempire.com/stories/091003/loc_bicycle.shtml

"Widening highways to cure congestion is like trying to cure obesity by loosening your belt." ---
Stephen Goddard Dennis P. Harris [email protected] http://www.ejuneau.net

Dennis Harris wrote:

>Alaska DOT wants to remove the bike lanes from the Juneau-Douglas Bridge.------

If anyone on Eugene's City Council supported the removal of any bicycle lanes, especially on
such an important connecter as this bridge, a petition to recall them would be started the next
day. It's encouraging that only a weak, 5/4 majority passed this and that the Mayor was
opposed. Some unrelenting legal action in Juneau should be able to block this anti-bike project
and maybe set a good precedent for the whole state.

There's a rush hour in Juneau? How fast can dog sleds go? Sorry, couldn't resist.

Steve McDonald

"Dennis P. Harris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Alaska DOT wants to remove the bike lanes from the Juneau-Douglas Bridge and turn it into a 3 lane
> roadway with a !reversible! lane, a proven accident-causer, in order to solve supposed traffic
> volume problems 20 years from now.
>
> The Juneau City-Borough Assembly unfortunately bought into this idiotic idea on a 5-4 vote. So
> Juneau cyclists held Alaska's first Critical Mass ride during Juneau's half-hour "rush hour"
> last night.
>
> See http://www.juneauempire.com/stories/091003/loc_bicycle.shtml

> "Widening highways to cure congestion is like trying to cure obesity by loosening your belt." ---
> Stephen Goddard Dennis P. Harris [email protected] http://www.ejuneau.net

I'll trade with you. My house will be lost to a 4 lane highway in the same time period. I live in
the country now. I may move to the wilderness.

Fred

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 02:46:18 -0700 (PDT) in rec.bicycles.misc, [email protected] (Steve
McDonald) wrote:

> If anyone on Eugene's City Council supported the removal of any bicycle lanes, especially on
> such an important connecter as this bridge, a petition to recall them would be started the
> next day. It's encouraging that only a weak, 5/4 majority passed this and that the Mayor was
> opposed. Some unrelenting legal action in Juneau should be able to block this anti-bike
> project and maybe set a good precedent for the whole state.

well, our municipal elections are october 7, and the newspaper's instant poll shows about 78% of the
public don't like it. neither does our state legislative delegation. the only folks who do are the
cageheads at the alaska DOT.

it was interesting that their project manager was out there watching, and that DOT's bike-ped
coordinator was taking pictures.

it is the ONLY connector to douglas island, which now has about a sixth of our 30,000+ population.