Alaska's first Critical Mass

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Dennis P. Harri, Sep 10, 2003.

  1. Alaska DOT wants to remove the bike lanes from the Juneau-Douglas Bridge and turn it into a 3 lane
    roadway with a !reversible! lane, a proven accident-causer, in order to solve supposed traffic
    volume problems 20 years from now.

    The Juneau City-Borough Assembly unfortunately bought into this idiotic idea on a 5-4 vote. So
    Juneau cyclists held Alaska's first Critical Mass ride during Juneau's half-hour "rush hour"
    last night.

    See http://www.juneauempire.com/stories/091003/loc_bicycle.shtml

    "Widening highways to cure congestion is like trying to cure obesity by loosening your belt." ---
    Stephen Goddard Dennis P. Harris [email protected] http://www.ejuneau.net

    Tags:

  2. Dennis Harris wrote:

    >Alaska DOT wants to remove the bike lanes from the Juneau-Douglas Bridge.------

    If anyone on Eugene's City Council supported the removal of any bicycle lanes, especially on
    such an important connecter as this bridge, a petition to recall them would be started the next
    day. It's encouraging that only a weak, 5/4 majority passed this and that the Mayor was
    opposed. Some unrelenting legal action in Juneau should be able to block this anti-bike project
    and maybe set a good precedent for the whole state.

    There's a rush hour in Juneau? How fast can dog sleds go? Sorry, couldn't resist.

    Steve McDonald

  3. Fred

    Fred Guest

    "Dennis P. Harris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Alaska DOT wants to remove the bike lanes from the Juneau-Douglas Bridge and turn it into a 3 lane
    > roadway with a !reversible! lane, a proven accident-causer, in order to solve supposed traffic
    > volume problems 20 years from now.
    >
    > The Juneau City-Borough Assembly unfortunately bought into this idiotic idea on a 5-4 vote. So
    > Juneau cyclists held Alaska's first Critical Mass ride during Juneau's half-hour "rush hour"
    > last night.
    >
    > See http://www.juneauempire.com/stories/091003/loc_bicycle.shtml

    > "Widening highways to cure congestion is like trying to cure obesity by loosening your belt." ---
    > Stephen Goddard Dennis P. Harris [email protected] http://www.ejuneau.net

    I'll trade with you. My house will be lost to a 4 lane highway in the same time period. I live in
    the country now. I may move to the wilderness.

    Fred

  4. On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 02:46:18 -0700 (PDT) in rec.bicycles.misc, [email protected] (Steve
    McDonald) wrote:

    > If anyone on Eugene's City Council supported the removal of any bicycle lanes, especially on
    > such an important connecter as this bridge, a petition to recall them would be started the
    > next day. It's encouraging that only a weak, 5/4 majority passed this and that the Mayor was
    > opposed. Some unrelenting legal action in Juneau should be able to block this anti-bike
    > project and maybe set a good precedent for the whole state.

    well, our municipal elections are october 7, and the newspaper's instant poll shows about 78% of the
    public don't like it. neither does our state legislative delegation. the only folks who do are the
    cageheads at the alaska DOT.

    it was interesting that their project manager was out there watching, and that DOT's bike-ped
    coordinator was taking pictures.

    it is the ONLY connector to douglas island, which now has about a sixth of our 30,000+ population.

  5. Jym Dyer

    Jym Dyer Guest

    =v= Nice story. This is Alaska's third Critical Mass city, though. Anchorage and Fairbanks have
    already beaten them to it. :^) <_Jym_>
    --
    http://www.critical-mass.org/