Albuquerque Cycling in February?

Nyrides

Guest
Southwest Airlines has a $94 ticket special from NY to Albuquerque, NM, and I've got a few days of
being a bachelor during President's Week.

I've never been to Albuquerque, so I don't know the terrain or the February weather.

Can anybody tell me if this is worth pursuing?

Thanks!

--
Low-Impact Rides in the NY/LI region www.geocities.com/NYRides

"NYRides" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Southwest Airlines has a $94 ticket special from NY to Albuquerque, NM,
and
> I've got a few days of being a bachelor during President's Week.
>
> I've never been to Albuquerque, so I don't know the terrain or the
February
> weather.
>
> Can anybody tell me if this is worth pursuing?

Yes !.

It's probably going to be in the 50's or so during the day, maybe 40's if it's cold, usually not
much colder then that, usually sunny, rarely raining.

It's not my first choice for road riding, especially as a destination, but there's road riding to be
had, especially up along the east and north sections of town on Tramway.

- Lot's of good stuff east on Central towards Tijaras Canyon, then south on Rt 337 (Rt 14 south).

- Also north on Rt. 14 to Cedar Crest, then maybe up the Sandia Crest road if your feeling butch.

- Also west on West Mesa for some out and back stuff.

You can also take a car north to the exit for Cochitim riding west to the damn, or in the Nat'l
Recreation Area - this is a popular area for Santa Fe roadies in the winter.

- Or south to Alamagordo and White Sands - biking around the Nat'l Monument (3 hrs. south by car)

Here's the site for the New Mexico Touring Society - http://www.swcp.com/~nmts/ Contact them for
info. on routes and maybe easy group rides.

Note that the altitude is 5,000 ft, and you WILL notice it, especially after a winter lay-off.
Riding up the canyon is ALL climbing, to 7,000 at Cedar Crest and 10,000 at Sandia

Contact me off list for additional info.

Steve Bailey