Alcohol Staples

  • Thread starter Damsel in dis Dress
  • Start date



D

Damsel in dis Dress

Guest
Okay, I know this has been covered, but I want to make sure I've got
it straight. I'm looking for things that don't have to be used right
away like wine, but can be used instead of wine in cooking.

Dry vermouth for dry white wine?

Port for dry red wine??

We've got to get rum for the fruitcakes and a box of sweet white wine
(yeah, yeah, yeah - we don't drink it fast enough for bottles, and we
have highly uneducated tastebuds) for sipping at dinner. Might as
well grab the wine substitutes while we're in there.

Carol, who buys one can of beer when making drunk pinto beans <G>
--

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos
 
D

Doug Kanter

Guest
"Damsel in dis Dress" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Okay, I know this has been covered, but I want to make sure I've got
> it straight. I'm looking for things that don't have to be used right
> away like wine, but can be used instead of wine in cooking.
>
> Dry vermouth for dry white wine?
>
> Port for dry red wine??
>
> We've got to get rum for the fruitcakes and a box of sweet white wine
> (yeah, yeah, yeah - we don't drink it fast enough for bottles, and we
> have highly uneducated tastebuds) for sipping at dinner. Might as
> well grab the wine substitutes while we're in there.
>
> Carol, who buys one can of beer when making drunk pinto beans <G>
> --
>
> http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos


Bourbon is good in marinades for beef & pork, as well as deglazing pans for
meat sauces. Do not, under any circumstances, buy cheap bourbon.
 
D

Dimitri

Guest
"Damsel in dis Dress" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Okay, I know this has been covered, but I want to make sure I've got
> it straight. I'm looking for things that don't have to be used right
> away like wine, but can be used instead of wine in cooking.
>
> Dry vermouth for dry white wine?


Ok but a little spicy more herbs see below.


>
> Port for dry red wine??


Nope - really too sweet IMHO.

Maybe white port.

Dimtiri


vermouth
[ver-MOOTH]
White wine that has been fortified and flavored with various herbs and spices.
The name "vermouth" comes from the German wermut ("WORMWOOD") which, before it
was declared poisonous, was once the principal flavoring ingredient. There are
several types of this wine, the most popular being white dry vermouth, commonly
thought of as French (although it's made in other countries including the U.S.).
It's drunk as an APÉRITIF and used in non-sweet COCKTAILS like the MARTINI.
Sweet vermouth is reddish brown (colored with CARAMEL) and is also used as an
apéritif as well as in slightly sweet cocktails such as the MANHATTAN. A third
style - not as popular as the other two - is white and slightly sweet. It's
called Bianco by Italians.
 
Z

zxcvbob

Guest
Doug Kanter wrote:
> "Damsel in dis Dress" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>
>>Okay, I know this has been covered, but I want to make sure I've got
>>it straight. I'm looking for things that don't have to be used right
>>away like wine, but can be used instead of wine in cooking.
>>
>>Dry vermouth for dry white wine?
>>
>>Port for dry red wine??
>>
>>We've got to get rum for the fruitcakes and a box of sweet white wine
>>(yeah, yeah, yeah - we don't drink it fast enough for bottles, and we
>>have highly uneducated tastebuds) for sipping at dinner. Might as
>>well grab the wine substitutes while we're in there.
>>
>>Carol, who buys one can of beer when making drunk pinto beans <G>
>>--
>>
>>http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos

>
>
> Bourbon is good in marinades for beef & pork, as well as deglazing pans for
> meat sauces. Do not, under any circumstances, buy cheap bourbon.
>
>



Some of the blended Canadian whiskeys ought to be OK to substitute for
bourbon in cooking. Decent Canadian whiskey is a lot cheaper than
decent bourbon.

Bob
 
J

jmcquown

Guest
Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> Port for dry red wine??
>

Port is sweet, not dry. Red wines keep forever as long as you have them
properly corked and stored in a cool place, which, given where you live
probably wouldn't be difficult! <G>

White wine also keeps (just store the bottle in the fridge), although
vermouth is nice to have on hand as well.

Thanks for reminding me I have a bottle of tawny port in the pantry. I'm
thinking of making pot roast and port is a nice addition when making gravy
:)

Jill
 
D

Doug Kanter

Guest
"zxcvbob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Doug Kanter wrote:
>> "Damsel in dis Dress" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]
>>
>>>Okay, I know this has been covered, but I want to make sure I've got
>>>it straight. I'm looking for things that don't have to be used right
>>>away like wine, but can be used instead of wine in cooking.
>>>
>>>Dry vermouth for dry white wine?
>>>
>>>Port for dry red wine??
>>>
>>>We've got to get rum for the fruitcakes and a box of sweet white wine
>>>(yeah, yeah, yeah - we don't drink it fast enough for bottles, and we
>>>have highly uneducated tastebuds) for sipping at dinner. Might as
>>>well grab the wine substitutes while we're in there.
>>>
>>>Carol, who buys one can of beer when making drunk pinto beans <G>
>>>--
>>>
>>>http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos

>>
>>
>> Bourbon is good in marinades for beef & pork, as well as deglazing pans
>> for meat sauces. Do not, under any circumstances, buy cheap bourbon.

>
>
> Some of the blended Canadian whiskeys ought to be OK to substitute for
> bourbon in cooking. Decent Canadian whiskey is a lot cheaper than decent
> bourbon.
>
> Bob


Maybe, but there's something odd about those Canadians. Are you sure you
want to buy things from that country? Such great scenery & fishing, but they
located the country in such a stupid place that so friggin' cold. What were
they thinking?
 
Z

zxcvbob

Guest
Doug Kanter wrote:
> "zxcvbob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>
>>Doug Kanter wrote:
>>
>>>"Damsel in dis Dress" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>>news:[email protected]
>>>
>>>
>>>>Okay, I know this has been covered, but I want to make sure I've got
>>>>it straight. I'm looking for things that don't have to be used right
>>>>away like wine, but can be used instead of wine in cooking.
>>>>
>>>>Dry vermouth for dry white wine?
>>>>
>>>>Port for dry red wine??
>>>>
>>>>We've got to get rum for the fruitcakes and a box of sweet white wine
>>>>(yeah, yeah, yeah - we don't drink it fast enough for bottles, and we
>>>>have highly uneducated tastebuds) for sipping at dinner. Might as
>>>>well grab the wine substitutes while we're in there.
>>>>
>>>>Carol, who buys one can of beer when making drunk pinto beans <G>
>>>>--
>>>>
>>>>http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos
>>>
>>>
>>>Bourbon is good in marinades for beef & pork, as well as deglazing pans
>>>for meat sauces. Do not, under any circumstances, buy cheap bourbon.

>>
>>
>>Some of the blended Canadian whiskeys ought to be OK to substitute for
>>bourbon in cooking. Decent Canadian whiskey is a lot cheaper than decent
>>bourbon.
>>
>>Bob

>
>
> Maybe, but there's something odd about those Canadians. Are you sure you
> want to buy things from that country? Such great scenery & fishing, but they
> located the country in such a stupid place that so friggin' cold. What were
> they thinking?
>
>


It's colder here than in some parts of Canada, and I'm farther north
than Toronto. (What was I thinking?)

Bob
 
H

Hexe

Guest
On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 11:05:29 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Okay, I know this has been covered, but I want to make sure I've got
>it straight. I'm looking for things that don't have to be used right
>away like wine, but can be used instead of wine in cooking.
>


Don't know how readily available it is where you are, but it is the
season, so you might be able to find Glühwein - either red (traditional
or white).

I wanted a marinade some pork awhile back and wanted to use up some of
the opened bottles. The Glühwein reached out for me as I walked by --
why not? It gave a quite interesting flavor to the pork; I think I only
added onion, garlic and oil so as not to buy the spices in the wine.

It also comes in handy if it is cold. While you are preparing the meal
heat some up to keep you warm until the foods ready.

Capt. Morgan's Spiced Rum also works with pork.

Marsala makes a good quick sauce when needed.
--
:Hexe
: Thought for the journey:
It's not enough to be able to pick up a sword. You have to know which end to poke into the enemy. -- (Terry Pratchett, Lords and Ladies)
 
L

LT

Guest

> Some of the blended Canadian whiskeys ought to be OK to substitute for
> bourbon in cooking. Decent Canadian whiskey is a lot cheaper than
> decent bourbon.
>

My fav is brandy or cognac. Even inexpensive (under $20) brandy like
Christian Brothers, is great for sauces etc. and it keeps forever

In cooking, most if not all of the alcohol gets burned out. But I like
adding a bit right at the end so some alcohol is present for extra warmth in
the mouth!

Larry T
 
Z

zxcvbob

Guest
LT wrote:
>>Some of the blended Canadian whiskeys ought to be OK to substitute for
>>bourbon in cooking. Decent Canadian whiskey is a lot cheaper than
>>decent bourbon.
>>

>
> My fav is brandy or cognac. Even inexpensive (under $20) brandy like
> Christian Brothers, is great for sauces etc. and it keeps forever
>
> In cooking, most if not all of the alcohol gets burned out. But I like
> adding a bit right at the end so some alcohol is present for extra warmth in
> the mouth!
>
> Larry T
>
>


If you deglase a pan with alcohol, most of it probably does boil off.
But if you add alcohol to a soup or sauce or something that contains
water, you would be surprised how much of the alcohol remains after cooking.

Best regards,
Bob
 
D

Default User

Guest
jmcquown wrote:


> White wine also keeps (just store the bottle in the fridge), although
> vermouth is nice to have on hand as well.



As I don't drink wine, I buy the wine that comes in the small bottles,
in four packs. I store opened ones in the refrigerator.


Brian

--
If televison's a babysitter, the Internet is a drunk librarian who
won't shut up.
-- Dorothy Gambrell (http://catandgirl.com)
 
B

biscuit eater

Guest
On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 17:55:32 GMT, in rec.food.cooking, "Doug Kanter"
<[email protected]> wrote:
>
>"zxcvbob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]
>> Doug Kanter wrote:
>>> "Damsel in dis Dress" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]
>>>
>>>>Okay, I know this has been covered, but I want to make sure I've got
>>>>it straight. I'm looking for things that don't have to be used right
>>>>away like wine, but can be used instead of wine in cooking.
>>>>
>>>>Dry vermouth for dry white wine?
>>>>
>>>>Port for dry red wine??
>>>>
>>>>We've got to get rum for the fruitcakes and a box of sweet white wine
>>>>(yeah, yeah, yeah - we don't drink it fast enough for bottles, and we
>>>>have highly uneducated tastebuds) for sipping at dinner. Might as
>>>>well grab the wine substitutes while we're in there.
>>>>
>>>>Carol, who buys one can of beer when making drunk pinto beans <G>
>>>>--
>>>>
>>>>http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos
>>>
>>>
>>> Bourbon is good in marinades for beef & pork, as well as deglazing pans
>>> for meat sauces. Do not, under any circumstances, buy cheap bourbon.

>>
>>
>> Some of the blended Canadian whiskeys ought to be OK to substitute for
>> bourbon in cooking. Decent Canadian whiskey is a lot cheaper than decent
>> bourbon.
>>
>> Bob

>
>Maybe, but there's something odd about those Canadians. Are you sure you
>want to buy things from that country? Such great scenery & fishing, but they
>located the country in such a stupid place that so friggin' cold. What were
>they thinking?
>


What, it doesn't get cold in much of the United States? What are
*you* thinking?
 
D

Dimitri

Guest
"LT" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>
>> Some of the blended Canadian whiskeys ought to be OK to substitute for
>> bourbon in cooking. Decent Canadian whiskey is a lot cheaper than
>> decent bourbon.
>>

> My fav is brandy or cognac. Even inexpensive (under $20) brandy like
> Christian Brothers, is great for sauces etc. and it keeps forever
>
> In cooking, most if not all of the alcohol gets burned out. But I like
> adding a bit right at the end so some alcohol is present for extra warmth in
> the mouth!
>
> Larry T


Try Korbel brandy. IMHO its nicer than CB.

Dimitri
 
L

LT

Guest

> If you deglase a pan with alcohol, most of it probably does boil off.
> But if you add alcohol to a soup or sauce or something that contains
> water, you would be surprised how much of the alcohol remains after

cooking.
>
> Best regards,
> Bob


You are probably correct. I have never messured this (not having a way to do
it) but my gut feeling is that the longer the sauce simmers, the less "A"
there will be. We usually add some brandy to things like pot roast that cook
slow and long, and then spike it a bit just before serving. No ones ever
staggered from the table ;-)

Larry T
 
D

Dave Smith

Guest
LT wrote:

>
> You are probably correct. I have never messured this (not having a way to do
> it) but my gut feeling is that the longer the sauce simmers, the less "A"
> there will be. We usually add some brandy to things like pot roast that cook
> slow and long, and then spike it a bit just before serving. No ones ever
> staggered from the table ;-)


A friend of mine had a sister and brother in law who were teetotallers. His wife
served them a nice dinner one night and the brother in law had seconds and raved
about how good it was. He flipped out when he found out there was wine it.
 
M

Melba's Jammin'

Guest
In article <[email protected]>,
Damsel in dis Dress <[email protected]> wrote:

> Okay, I know this has been covered, but I want to make sure I've got
> it straight. I'm looking for things that don't have to be used right
> away like wine, but can be used instead of wine in cooking.
>
> Dry vermouth for dry white wine?
>
> Port for dry red wine??
>
> We've got to get rum for the fruitcakes and a box of sweet white wine
> (yeah, yeah, yeah - we don't drink it fast enough for bottles, and we
> have highly uneducated tastebuds) for sipping at dinner. Might as
> well grab the wine substitutes while we're in there.
>
> Carol, who buys one can of beer when making drunk pinto beans <G>


I use dry vermouth or dry sherry for white; port is sweet - any I've
ever had, anyway. Dunno what you'd do for dry red. Maybe a small
bottle for a premium price (liquor store near here has
airplane-service-size bottles -- prolly bought them from NWA, too)
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 12-4-05, Skyline Aglow
 
T

The Joneses

Guest
jmcquown wrote:

> Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> > Port for dry red wine??
> >

> Port is sweet ...Thanks for reminding me I have a bottle of tawny port in
> the pantry. I'm thinking of making pot roast and port is a nice addition
> when making gravy :)
> Jill


Y'all give me such good ideas. I have a bottle of dry marsala, for which I use
a vacuum gadget to seal it after every use. I keep it in the cabinet and a
splash makes a nice addition to poultry and light colored sauces.
Edrena
 
A

A.C.

Guest
Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> Okay, I know this has been covered, but I want to make sure I've got
> it straight. I'm looking for things that don't have to be used right
> away like wine, but can be used instead of wine in cooking.
>


dams, if you want to use wine, you could always get a small box of decent red
wine. it will keep for a long time and doesn't suffer any of the oxidation
problems that an open bottle of wine does.
 
A

A.C.

Guest
Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> Okay, I know this has been covered, but I want to make sure I've got
> it straight. I'm looking for things that don't have to be used right
> away like wine, but can be used instead of wine in cooking.
>


dams, if you want to use wine, you could always get a small box of decent red
wine. it will keep for a long time and doesn't suffer any of the oxidation
problems that an open bottle of wine does.
 
J

jmcquown

Guest
Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Damsel in dis Dress <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Okay, I know this has been covered, but I want to make sure I've got
>> it straight. I'm looking for things that don't have to be used right
>> away like wine, but can be used instead of wine in cooking.
>>
>> Dry vermouth for dry white wine?
>>
>> Port for dry red wine??
>>
>> We've got to get rum for the fruitcakes and a box of sweet white wine
>> (yeah, yeah, yeah - we don't drink it fast enough for bottles, and we
>> have highly uneducated tastebuds) for sipping at dinner. Might as
>> well grab the wine substitutes while we're in there.
>>
>> Carol, who buys one can of beer when making drunk pinto beans <G>

>
> I use dry vermouth or dry sherry for white; port is sweet - any I've
> ever had, anyway. Dunno what you'd do for dry red. Maybe a small
> bottle for a premium price (liquor store near here has
> airplane-service-size bottles -- prolly bought them from NWA, too)


For dry red, red wine vinegar (then cut anything else in the recipe that
might be vinegary, salty or ****). But dry red keeps just fine as long as
it is sealed and stored away from light.

Jill