Alcohol Staples

I still haven't decided if I'm happy with our purchases or not, but
this is what we came home with:

A gallon jug of Bacardi (not really, but the biggest bottle they had)
A bottle of extra dry Martini & Rossi
A little four pack of cabernet s......... (I can't spell it)
the lady told me it was burgundy, and I took her word for it
A box of white grenache(?)

Is that cabernet stuff considered dry? Can I dump some into Harry's
Tomato Sauce without ruining the sauce? I tasted the wine (Gallo) and
there's no way I could drink it. I'm a wuss.

Next time I want to buy wine for cooking, I'll go to one of the mega
liquor stores. This place had very little in the way of selection.
--

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> I still haven't decided if I'm happy with our purchases or not, but
> this is what we came home with:
>
> A gallon jug of Bacardi (not really, but the biggest bottle they had)
> A bottle of extra dry Martini & Rossi
> A little four pack of cabernet s......... (I can't spell it)
> the lady told me it was burgundy, and I took her word for it
> A box of white grenache(?)
>
> Is that cabernet stuff considered dry? Can I dump some into Harry's
> Tomato Sauce without ruining the sauce? I tasted the wine (Gallo) and
> there's no way I could drink it. I'm a wuss.
>
> Next time I want to buy wine for cooking, I'll go to one of the mega
> liquor stores. This place had very little in the way of selection.

The white grenache is kinda sweet, ain't it? I'm thinking "white
grenache" is another meaningless term for "white zinfindel". That's OK
if that's what you like. (I prefer dry wines, excect for for German
slightly-sweet ones.)

What's the gallon of Bacardi? Rum? That sounds interesting...

Best regards,
Bob

Bob

On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 15:56:25 -0600, zxcvbob <[email protected]>
wrote:

>The white grenache is kinda sweet, ain't it? I'm thinking "white
>grenache" is another meaningless term for "white zinfindel". That's OK
>if that's what you like. (I prefer dry wines, excect for for German
>slightly-sweet ones.)

Crash wanted a sweet white wine for drinking with meals. He doesn't
like reds at all, nor does he like dry wines. I haven't had zinfindel
in many, many moons, but I remember liking it.

>What's the gallon of Bacardi? Rum? That sounds interesting...

Yeppers. Rum. It's primarily for dumping on the fruitcakes, but
Crash also likes to soak maraschino cherries in it, creating "cherry
bombs." I'm not certain what we'll do with the other two-thirds of
the bottle. LOL!

Carol
--

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos

"Damsel in dis Dress" <[email protected]> wrote

> In the past, I would just seek out any ol' bottle of burgundy that had
> a screw-on cap. Left it out on the counter and dumped it into a
> myriad of dishes. Didn't have a problem at all. But from reading in
> RFC, it appears that it's a cardinal sin to do that. I'm confused.
>
> Carol

That is probably not good wine. The new bottles I'm talking about are 150ml
(Mr. Libido refers to 200ml and he may be right and the wine is excellent
wine. Not jug type stuff, but good wine. They are a new thing but are
spreading rapidly. The bottles are shatterproof plastic and they have
screw-on tops.

Charlie

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 15:56:25 -0600, zxcvbob <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >The white grenache is kinda sweet, ain't it? I'm thinking "white
> >grenache" is another meaningless term for "white zinfindel". That's OK
> >if that's what you like. (I prefer dry wines, excect for for German
> >slightly-sweet ones.)

> Crash wanted a sweet white wine for drinking with meals. He doesn't
> like reds at all, nor does he like dry wines. I haven't had zinfindel
> in many, many moons, but I remember liking it.
>
> >What's the gallon of Bacardi? Rum? That sounds interesting...

> Yeppers. Rum. It's primarily for dumping on the fruitcakes, but
> Crash also likes to soak maraschino cherries in it, creating "cherry
> bombs." I'm not certain what we'll do with the other two-thirds of
> the bottle. LOL!
> Carol

I like the idear of cherry bombs! I like Pinot Grigio for table white - it's
a little dry but very drinkable. Or Reisling, which may be sweet or drier
depending on who makes it. I like the German stuff.
Edrena

On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 15:49:35 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I still haven't decided if I'm happy with our purchases or not, but
>this is what we came home with:
>
>A gallon jug of Bacardi (not really, but the biggest bottle they had)
>A bottle of extra dry Martini & Rossi
>A little four pack of cabernet s......... (I can't spell it)
> the lady told me it was burgundy, and I took her word for it
>A box of white grenache(?)
>
>Is that cabernet stuff considered dry? Can I dump some into Harry's
>Tomato Sauce without ruining the sauce? I tasted the wine (Gallo) and
>there's no way I could drink it. I'm a wuss.

I assume it was cabernet sauvignon. Yes, it's dry. It will be fine in
Harry's sauce.

"Damsel in dis Dress" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> A gallon jug of Bacardi (not really, but the biggest bottle they had)

Usually a 1.75 liter.

> A little four pack of cabernet s......... (I can't spell it)
> the lady told me it was burgundy, and I took her word for it

> Can I dump some into Harry's
> Tomato Sauce without ruining the sauce? I tasted the wine (Gallo) and
> there's no way I could drink it. I'm a wuss.

To be called burgundy, it should come from the Burgundy region of France.
Cabernet Sauvignon is a dry wine. No, you won't like drinking it alone, but
it is a nice accompaniment to a good piece of beef. Yes, you can add some to
the sauce.

On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 00:47:12 GMT, The Joneses <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>
>> Rum. It's primarily for dumping on the fruitcakes, but
>> Crash also likes to soak maraschino cherries in it, creating "cherry
>> bombs."

>I like the idear of cherry bombs! I like Pinot Grigio for table white - it's
>a little dry but very drinkable. Or Reisling, which may be sweet or drier
>depending on who makes it. I like the German stuff.

The ones he's had in the past have been made with Bacardi 151 (proof).
I understand they're deadly.

Just remembered (all of a sudden, my dad is coming to the forefront).
Dad used to make those things. Then he'd give them to the
grandchildren and watch for their reactions. One of the kids actually
liked them, and we had to hide them from her. He conned me into
eating one once, and I just stopped screaming yesterday. LOL! He
kept them in a tiny Miracle Whip jar.

Crash used to frequent a bar that sold mighty Bloody Marys. They
soaked their celery sticks in pure vodka overnight. I guess the
celery just wicked the stuff right up and got fat, juicy, and very
intoxicating.

There are many ways to get drunk. <G>

Carol
--

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> >I like the idear of cherry bombs! I like Pinot Grigio for table white - it's
> >a little dry but very drinkable. Or Reisling, which may be sweet or drier
> >depending on who makes it. I like the German stuff.

> The ones he's had in the past have been made with Bacardi 151 (proof).
> I understand they're deadly.
>
> Just remembered (all of a sudden, my dad is coming to the forefront).
> Dad used to make those things. Then he'd give them to the
> grandchildren and watch for their reactions. One of the kids actually
> liked them, and we had to hide them from her. He conned me into
> eating one once, and I just stopped screaming yesterday. LOL! He
> kept them in a tiny Miracle Whip jar.

Boogie Berries. I make them with brandy. The friend who introduced me to them has
a cherry orchard and he makes them with all sorts of liquors, rum, brandy,
schnapps....

On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 03:43:49 GMT, [email protected] (Kathy in NZ) wrote:

>On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 15:49:35 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>I still haven't decided if I'm happy with our purchases or not, but
>>this is what we came home with:
>>
>>A gallon jug of Bacardi (not really, but the biggest bottle they had)
>>A bottle of extra dry Martini & Rossi
>>A little four pack of cabernet s......... (I can't spell it)
>> the lady told me it was burgundy, and I took her word for it
>>A box of white grenache(?)
>>
>>Is that cabernet stuff considered dry? Can I dump some into Harry's
>>Tomato Sauce without ruining the sauce? I tasted the wine (Gallo) and
>>there's no way I could drink it. I'm a wuss.
>>

>I assume it was cabernet sauvignon. Yes, it's dry. It will be fine in
>Harry's sauce.

Thank you, Kathy! That's the stuff.

And please keep those pictures coming. I came close to licking my
monitor last night.

Carol
--

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos

On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 04:29:25 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>"Damsel in dis Dress" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> A gallon jug of Bacardi (not really, but the biggest bottle they had)

>Usually a 1.75 liter.

That's probably it. It was the largest of four sizes that they
carried. I think my fruitcakes will be flammable by the time we're
finished.

>> Can I dump some into Harry's
>> Tomato Sauce without ruining the sauce? I tasted the wine (Gallo) and
>> there's no way I could drink it. I'm a wuss.

>To be called burgundy, it should come from the Burgundy region of France.
>Cabernet Sauvignon is a dry wine. No, you won't like drinking it alone, but
>it is a nice accompaniment to a good piece of beef. Yes, you can add some to
>the sauce.

Wonderful! I can't wait to get started. : )

Thanks,
Carol
--

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos

On Tue 06 Dec 2005 10:58:40p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Damsel in
dis Dress?

> On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 04:29:25 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>>"Damsel in dis Dress" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> A gallon jug of Bacardi (not really, but the biggest bottle they had)

>>Usually a 1.75 liter.

> That's probably it. It was the largest of four sizes that they
> carried. I think my fruitcakes will be flammable by the time we're
> finished.
>
>>> Can I dump some into Harry's
>>> Tomato Sauce without ruining the sauce? I tasted the wine (Gallo) and
>>> there's no way I could drink it. I'm a wuss.

>>To be called burgundy, it should come from the Burgundy region of
>>France. Cabernet Sauvignon is a dry wine. No, you won't like drinking
>>it alone, but it is a nice accompaniment to a good piece of beef. Yes,
>>you can add some to the sauce.

> Wonderful! I can't wait to get started. : )
>
> Thanks,
> Carol

Just make sure that Bacardi goes on the fruitcakes! ;-)

I did a combination of Myer's dark rum and brandy. I think they would
ignite!

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

wrote:

>The white grenache is kinda sweet, ain't it? I'm thinking "white
>grenache" is another meaningless term for "white zinfindel". That's OK
>if that's what you like. (I prefer dry wines, excect for for German
>slightly-sweet ones.)

I know, eight-thirty in the morning is a weird time to taste test
wine, but I've been up all night, so it's late. Even if it's morning.

I like this stuff! I can really see drinking this as a summer
beverage. Somehow I'll muddle through the winter sipping on it, until
those hot days ahead are here. LOL!

This is lovely!
Carol
--

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos

On 7 Dec 2005 07:08:36 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Just make sure that Bacardi goes on the fruitcakes! ;-)

Well, I'm not gonna *drink* it, if that's what you're suggesting. LOL!

>I did a combination of Myer's dark rum and brandy. I think they would
>ignite!

Yeah, I'll bet! I'm taking care of some housekeeping stuff today (and
finally making the split pea soup), and hope to make the fruitcakes
tomorrow. I pour rum on the cakes as they come out of the oven, then
again when they've cooled. Usually one more good soaking and I'm good
to go.

Let me know how your cakes turned out!
Carol
--

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> On 7 Dec 2005 07:08:36 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Just make sure that Bacardi goes on the fruitcakes! ;-)

> Well, I'm not gonna *drink* it, if that's what you're suggesting. LOL!
>

>>I did a combination of Myer's dark rum and brandy. I think they would
>>ignite!

> Yeah, I'll bet! I'm taking care of some housekeeping stuff today (and
> finally making the split pea soup), and hope to make the fruitcakes
> tomorrow. I pour rum on the cakes as they come out of the oven, then
> again when they've cooled. Usually one more good soaking and I'm good
> to go.
>
> Let me know how your cakes turned out!
> Carol

I wrap fruitcakes in muslin, drench with rum (or bourbon or brandy) and
wrap in heavy duty aluminum foil.

Needless to say, I didn't do that with the fruitcake cookies I made a
few days ago.

Best regards,
Bob

On Wed 07 Dec 2005 07:35:22a, Damsel in dis Dress wrote in
rec.food.cooking:

> On 7 Dec 2005 07:08:36 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Just make sure that Bacardi goes on the fruitcakes! ;-)

> Well, I'm not gonna *drink* it, if that's what you're suggesting. LOL!
>
>>I did a combination of Myer's dark rum and brandy. I think they would
>>ignite!

> Yeah, I'll bet! I'm taking care of some housekeeping stuff today (and
> finally making the split pea soup), and hope to make the fruitcakes
> tomorrow. I pour rum on the cakes as they come out of the oven, then
> again when they've cooled. Usually one more good soaking and I'm good
> to go.

I soak mine at the same stages, Carol.

> Let me know how your cakes turned out!

Will do. You, too.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> On Mon, 5 Dec 2005 20:26:18 -0500, "Debbie" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >I like to add some cream sherry to french onion soup and other beef

> broth
> >based dishes. Takes the dish to a whole new level.

> I dumped some of that into our turkey gravy one Thanksgiving. Best
> gravy I've ever tasted!
>
> Carol
> --

Has anybody mentioned a sauté of cut up breast of chicken & whole shrimp
with garlic, green onions or shallots & butter, cooked till done and the
white wine added to reduce just a bit, serve with pasta or rice. I
routinely use a gallo chinine blanc for this

I also use egg yolks and bread crumbs to coat a skinless, boneless
breast of chicken, sauté just long enough to set the coating and
transfer to a big pot of beef gravy (enough to cover the chicken by
about 1 inch) to which a good cup of red wine has been added and simmer
the chicken in this till done, remove the chicken, stir the gravy and
serve with rice or mashed potatoes.

I wonder if any one has had any success with cooking with merlot? i find
it to be a waste in food, better served with rather than in the food.
Had a white zinfandel (sp?) the other day that was very tasty but am not
sure what food it might be used in.

Any of the schnapps over ice cream is nice and a "Lancers" cream sherry
is also very good over a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
---
JL

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> On Mon, 5 Dec 2005 20:26:18 -0500, "Debbie" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >I like to add some cream sherry to french onion soup and other beef

> broth
> >based dishes. Takes the dish to a whole new level.

> I dumped some of that into our turkey gravy one Thanksgiving. Best
> gravy I've ever tasted!
>
> Carol
> --

Has anybody mentioned a sauté of cut up breast of chicken & whole shrimp
with garlic, green onions or shallots & butter, cooked till done and the
white wine added to reduce just a bit, serve with pasta or rice. I
routinely use a gallo chinine blanc for this

I also use egg yolks and bread crumbs to coat a skinless, boneless
breast of chicken, sauté just long enough to set the coating and
transfer to a big pot of beef gravy (enough to cover the chicken by
about 1 inch) to which a good cup of red wine has been added and simmer
the chicken in this till done, remove the chicken, stir the gravy and
serve with rice or mashed potatoes.

I wonder if any one has had any success with cooking with merlot? i find
it to be a waste in food, better served with rather than in the food.
Had a white zinfandel (sp?) the other day that was very tasty but am not
sure what food it might be used in.

Any of the schnapps over ice cream is nice and a "Lancers" cream sherry
is also very good over a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
---
JL

On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 16:05:39 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress <[email protected]>
wrote:

>>What's the gallon of Bacardi? Rum? That sounds interesting...

>Yeppers. Rum. It's primarily for dumping on the fruitcakes, but
>Crash also likes to soak maraschino cherries in it, creating "cherry
>bombs." I'm not certain what we'll do with the other two-thirds of
>the bottle. LOL!

I know what I am doing with my rum, Egg Nog! They really should make this stuff
year round. Although my drinks like this tend to lean more alcohol than egg
nog/juice or other 'filler.'

Afraid I'll pass on the fruit cake and the cherries.

----
Support your LOCAL scanner frequency site and groups!
http://www.wpascanner.com http://www.tampascanner.info