Alcohol Staples

On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 08:31:40 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I know, eight-thirty in the morning is a weird time to taste test
>wine, but I've been up all night, so it's late. Even if it's morning.
>
>I like this stuff! I can really see drinking this as a summer
>beverage. Somehow I'll muddle through the winter sipping on it, until
>those hot days ahead are here. LOL!

Nope, when you work the late shift its perfect. Then again its noon or 1700
somewhere on the planet. Your good to go!

----
Support your LOCAL scanner frequency site and groups!
http://www.wpascanner.com http://www.tampascanner.info

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> Okay, I know this has been covered, but I want to make sure I've got
> it straight. I'm looking for things that don't have to be used right
> away like wine, but can be used instead of wine in cooking.
>
> Dry vermouth for dry white wine?
>
> Port for dry red wine??
>
> We've got to get rum for the fruitcakes and a box of sweet white wine
> (yeah, yeah, yeah - we don't drink it fast enough for bottles, and we
> have highly uneducated tastebuds) for sipping at dinner. Might as
> well grab the wine substitutes while we're in there.
>
> Carol, who buys one can of beer when making drunk pinto beans <G>

My list of alcohol staples for cooking - dark rum, light rum, brandy,
white wine, red wine, port wine, dry sherry, preservative free beer, a
variety of schnapps, cherry whiskey (not brandy), and vodka. Port is a
wine that could be subbed for red wine but my main use is for port wine
jelly to be used as a condiment with pork. A little port wine is good
in beef stew as is a little beer, one or the other, not both. Vodka and
rum is good for fruits and rum is good for candies, cakes, and deserts
especially with apples. If I want to use a little white wine but don't
have any, I sub apple juice. I just keep a good stock on hand for the
most part but there are times when I need it and just don't feel like
making a special trip to the LCBO.

zxcvbob wrote:

> Doug Kanter wrote:
>
>> "Damsel in dis Dress" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>
>>> Okay, I know this has been covered, but I want to make sure I've got
>>> it straight. I'm looking for things that don't have to be used right
>>> away like wine, but can be used instead of wine in cooking.
>>>
>>> Dry vermouth for dry white wine?
>>>
>>> Port for dry red wine??
>>>
>>> We've got to get rum for the fruitcakes and a box of sweet white wine
>>> (yeah, yeah, yeah - we don't drink it fast enough for bottles, and we
>>> have highly uneducated tastebuds) for sipping at dinner. Might as
>>> well grab the wine substitutes while we're in there.
>>>
>>> Carol, who buys one can of beer when making drunk pinto beans <G>
>>> --
>>>
>>> http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos

>> Bourbon is good in marinades for beef & pork, as well as deglazing
>> pans for meat sauces. Do not, under any circumstances, buy cheap bourbon.
>>

> Some of the blended Canadian whiskeys ought to be OK to substitute for
> bourbon in cooking. Decent Canadian whiskey is a lot cheaper than
> decent bourbon.
>
> Bob

Yep, I forgot the Canadian whiskey on my list of alcohol staples. We
always have it in the house anyways.

zxcvbob wrote:

> Doug Kanter wrote:
>
>> "zxcvbob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>>> Some of the blended Canadian whiskeys ought to be OK to substitute
>>> for bourbon in cooking. Decent Canadian whiskey is a lot cheaper
>>> than decent bourbon.
>>>
>>> Bob

>> Maybe, but there's something odd about those Canadians. Are you sure
>> you want to buy things from that country? Such great scenery &
>> fishing, but they located the country in such a stupid place that so
>> friggin' cold. What were they thinking?
>>

> It's colder here than in some parts of Canada, and I'm farther north
> than Toronto. (What was I thinking?)
>
> Bob

Hey, fellow Canadian here and the weather is nice and balmy compared to
Iowa! We just got back this morning and it was horribly cold out there!

zxcvbob wrote:

> LT wrote:
>
>>> Some of the blended Canadian whiskeys ought to be OK to substitute for
>>> bourbon in cooking. Decent Canadian whiskey is a lot cheaper than
>>> decent bourbon.
>>>

>> My fav is brandy or cognac. Even inexpensive (under $20) brandy like
>> Christian Brothers, is great for sauces etc. and it keeps forever
>>
>> In cooking, most if not all of the alcohol gets burned out. But I like
>> adding a bit right at the end so some alcohol is present for extra
>> warmth in
>> the mouth!
>>
>> Larry T
>>

> If you deglase a pan with alcohol, most of it probably does boil off.
> But if you add alcohol to a soup or sauce or something that contains
> water, you would be surprised how much of the alcohol remains after
> cooking.
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

So that's why my beef veggie soup spiked with beer was a big hit ;)

Dave Smith wrote:

> LT wrote:
>

>>You are probably correct. I have never messured this (not having a way to do
>>it) but my gut feeling is that the longer the sauce simmers, the less "A"
>>there will be. We usually add some brandy to things like pot roast that cook
>>slow and long, and then spike it a bit just before serving. No ones ever
>>staggered from the table ;-)

> A friend of mine had a sister and brother in law who were teetotallers. His wife
> served them a nice dinner one night and the brother in law had seconds and raved
> about how good it was. He flipped out when he found out there was wine it.

I'm always careful to find out alcohol preferences of guests as some
simply don't want to ingest alcohol in any form for whatever reason. I
try to be very respectful of that. I tend to cook more with alcohol
than I do drinking it but to each their own on this one. IMO, the
judicial addition of alcohol can really enhance a dish but I do
understand if someone prefers not to eat a dish containing even trace
amounts of alcohol.

[email protected] (Kathy in NZ) writes:

>On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 15:49:35 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress
><[email protected]> wrote:

>>Is that cabernet stuff considered dry? Can I dump some into Harry's
>>Tomato Sauce without ruining the sauce? I tasted the wine (Gallo) and
>>there's no way I could drink it. I'm a wuss.
>>

>I assume it was cabernet sauvignon. Yes, it's dry. It will be fine in
>Harry's sauce.

Gallo's hearty burgundy is my favorite for spaghetti sauce, but I've
used Gallo's cabernet sauvignon and it's very good. Sometimes it gets a
little acidy or metallic tasting so I add a little milk or sugar to the
sauce to tame it down. Should be good.
Now I'm jealous -- it's snowing really hard here so I have to make do
with a can of Ragu tonight when I really want homemade sauce!

Stacia

~patches~ wrote:

> Yep, I forgot the Canadian whiskey on my list of alcohol staples. We
> always have it in the house anyways.

For sure. There are lots of whiskeys that I like better than Rye, but it is my
preferred whiskey for Manhattans.

~patches~ wrote:

> I'm always careful to find out alcohol preferences of guests as some
> simply don't want to ingest alcohol in any form for whatever reason. I
> try to be very respectful of that. I tend to cook more with alcohol
> than I do drinking it but to each their own on this one. IMO, the
> judicial addition of alcohol can really enhance a dish but I do
> understand if someone prefers not to eat a dish containing even trace
> amounts of alcohol.

I try to avoid people who are strongly anti alcohol. They usually have a bunch of
other attitude problems too.

~patches~ wrote:
> zxcvbob wrote:
>
>> Doug Kanter wrote:
>>
>>> "zxcvbob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...

>>> Maybe, but there's something odd about those Canadians. Are you sure
>>> you want to buy things from that country? Such great scenery &
>>> fishing, but they located the country in such a stupid place that so
>>> friggin' cold. What were they thinking?
>>>

>> It's colder here than in some parts of Canada, and I'm farther north
>> than Toronto. (What was I thinking?)
>>
>> Bob

> Hey, fellow Canadian here and the weather is nice and balmy compared to
> Iowa! We just got back this morning and it was horribly cold out there!

I'm in southern Minnesota, but still it *is* farther north than Toronto.
The weather here has been bitterly cold for a couple of days but it's
warming up a little.

Bob

On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 17:32:09 -0500, ~patches~
<[email protected]> wrote:

> However, I do try to take
>into consideration any special food preferences or needs for guests in
>our home. Here's my reasoning for doing so. I feel a person knows
>their own body best so if they can't or choose not to eat something, I
>should respect that if they are guests in our home.

Sounds like you're an excellent hostess. Kudos! There are lots of
people who resent their guests' food preferences. Glad to see someone
giving that kind of respect.

Carol
--

zxcvbob wrote:

> ~patches~ wrote:
>
>> zxcvbob wrote:

>>> It's colder here than in some parts of Canada, and I'm farther north
>>> than Toronto. (What was I thinking?)
>>>
>>> Bob

>> Hey, fellow Canadian here and the weather is nice and balmy compared
>> to Iowa! We just got back this morning and it was horribly cold out
>> there!

> I'm in southern Minnesota, but still it *is* farther north than Toronto.
> The weather here has been bitterly cold for a couple of days but it's
> warming up a little.
>
> Bob

I do hope it is warming up out there! We're off to Illinois late
tonight. The cold in Iowa reminded me of everyone telling us on
learning we were moving to Alberta - it's a dry cold so you don't notice
it. That is complete nonsense. You can sit there and watch your skin
dehydrating from the cold out there and yes you do notice it just a tad ;)

Dave Smith wrote:

> I try to avoid people who are strongly anti alcohol. They usually have a bunch of
> other attitude problems too.

Agreed.

"The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be
pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues."
-- Elizabeth Taylor

Dave S

Damsel in dis Dress <[email protected]> wrote:

> Okay, I know this has been covered,

Yeah. :)

> but I want to make sure I've got
> it straight. I'm looking for things that don't have to be used right
> away like wine, but can be used instead of wine in cooking.
>
> Dry vermouth for dry white wine?

See
<http://groups.google.com/group/rec.food.cooking/msg/c52845556e9b59f3>

> Port for dry red wine??

Well, white port can sometimes be almost dry. If you mean sweet
specimens, then normally not, but sometimes sweet wines can work wonders
with meat and poultry - it will just be a whole different thing, not a
substitution.

> We've got to get rum for the fruitcakes and a box of sweet white wine
> (yeah, yeah, yeah - we don't drink it fast enough for bottles, and we
> have highly uneducated tastebuds) for sipping at dinner. Might as
> well grab the wine substitutes while we're in there.

Well, I once posted a recipe for Civet de Canard au Sauternes (Duck Stew
in Sauternes), Sauternes being a sweet white wine. See
<http://groups.google.com/group/rec.food.cooking/msg/e45b9fb0858f0607>.
So, I don't see why something similar won't work with other sweet wines
and other poultry.

Victor

In article <[email protected]>,
~patches~ <[email protected]> wrote:

> zxcvbob wrote:

> >> My fav is brandy or cognac. Even inexpensive (under $20) brandy like
> >> Christian Brothers, is great for sauces etc. and it keeps forever
> >>
> >> In cooking, most if not all of the alcohol gets burned out. But I like
> >> adding a bit right at the end so some alcohol is present for extra
> >> warmth in
> >> the mouth!
> >>
> >> Larry T
> >>

> > If you deglase a pan with alcohol, most of it probably does boil off.
> > But if you add alcohol to a soup or sauce or something that contains
> > water, you would be surprised how much of the alcohol remains after
> > cooking.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Bob

> So that's why my beef veggie soup spiked with beer was a big hit ;)

The FAQ for this group is at:

<http://vsack.homepage.t-online.de/rfc_faq.html>

There is a whole section that explains that alcohol doesn't boil off
like most people think it does.

--
Dan Abel
[email protected]