Aldag is Scum

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by wicklow200, May 24, 2007.

1. Serafino

Serafino New Member

I don't care what teams are involved. Its obvious that we need a fresh start. I'm saying that Aldag's actions, his hypocrisy, his lies, tarnish the sport and don't seem to evidence any contrition.

He even said:

Aldag admitted he had lied in the past when he had denied doping.

"I am sorry, I lied to the press and the TV because I said to myself I would not be caught. "In 1994, I discussed with several teammates what was happening in cycling and I decided to actively seek out doping products. I began taking EPO in 1995.

At least Bob Stapleton is making some sense here:

Stapleton also addressed the current doping scandals, saying, "the process has been very unfair. It has focused on two individuals, Jan Ullrich and Ivan Basso. This whole thing goes beyond them, and it is unfair that they are the two being spotlighted. We must know who is involved and treat all of them in a fair manner.

"There must be a serious and consistent commitment to remove drugs from the sport. There is a momentum for change, there is a movement for change," he concluded.

But I ask you, why is a rider suspended for 2-4 years if caught, but a hypocritical liar and doper is allowed to manage a ProTour team without any sanction? Surely, he should be suspended for some period of time. The lack of judgement alone in employing the doping doctors is shocking.

2. whiteboytrash

whiteboytrash New Member

Is it not a good thing he admitted he lied ? Are you saying a six time Tour champion chasing down a nondescript rider on a dead rubber stage to ensure they shut up about doping is better ? Come on...... yes its ugly what Aldag did but what would be better ? The Armstrong way or the Aldag way ?

3. Serafino

Serafino New Member

Aldag denied everything until the facade was collapsing with colleagues spilling the beans all around him. Where was he a year ago when the tried to sell the "clean team" concept.

Why is this always about Armstrong WBT?

If they ALL doped, well then even a doping Armstrong beat doping Telekom/T-Mobile riders (+ all the others).

Seems to me you single out Armstrong and excuse all the others a little too easily.

4. Bro Deal

Bro Deal New Member

That is how it always is. It takes a very big man to stand alone and reveal something like this without any pressure. There are few big men.

These guys have been living a lie for their entire adult lives. By the curious logic of the peloton, they were acting like stand up guys. Coming forward might jeapardize their careers and futures. Who here would have the guts to speak out on something if it meant losing your job and being forced to change professions?

5. Serafino

Serafino New Member

There is no courage on the part of Aldag. He was in an untenable situation. He would have been exposed in a matter of days. Kind of like Basso. He's no saint.

And ... he hasn't lost his job. There's more to this story than meets the eye. The rot goes even deeper IMO.

Courage would have been an admission last year. Clearing up the past and then talking about a "clean team" moving into the future. Not dumping on Jan like a hypocrite (naughty Jan, so dirty on a clean team like T-Mobile).

Aldag lied, the doctors lied, Bob probably lied (could he have been so gullible), they all lied. They only one who looked contrite was Zabel.

Aldag lied until he could lie no more. For this he deserves to be praised?

6. wicklow200

wicklow200 New Member

No, far from it. Aldag deserves to be hounded out of the sport like the piece of trash that he is

I feel sorry for Zabel. And think Bolts, Dietz and the others deserve credit for lifting the omerta.

I don't condone what they did, but there is a qualitative difference from their actions and those of Aldag.

7. wicklow200

wicklow200 New Member

Well, unfortunate analogy.

But anyone who sets himself up as an authority like Aldag did, a chief prosecutor, and all the while is as bad as the people he is accusing, deserves the most harsh penalties.

8. alibat

alibat New Member

I agree. Whilst I can see where WBT is coming from in some respects, the difference with Aldag is the way he responded when Jan was named in OP. He didn't just pass coment, hell he didn't even just do a Riis and say he had no knowledge. He actively made him out to be the 'bad one' in the team, even going so far as to suggest dodgy going's on in hotel rooms etc. That's the difference. He contributed to the scapegoating of Ulle yet still kept on the dodgy doctors and made himself out to be whiter than white.

9. zlatan

zlatan New Member

Aldag then admitted he even had a tattoo made on his upper arm, to hide the bruises resulting from injections of doping products.

don´t klödi have the same tatto as aldag??

in the move of hell on wheels i can rember some of the t-mobile rider have the devil taot on ther uper arm ..

10. thunder

thunder New Member

its funny cos they have the same tattoo. Cool guy in school gets his ear pierced, so do a bunch of followers.

11. cyclingheroes

cyclingheroes New Member

Agreed

12. The Double Zero

The Double Zero New Member

Lets hope that Zabel is not remembered for this revalation today. He has had a magnificent career that should not be tarnished by one week in 1996, when it seems apparent that the entire peleton was on EPO.
    He is one of cycling's true champions.

13. mikkemus

mikkemus New Member

Good one.

14. fscyclist

fscyclist New Member

I'm puzzled at the hatred for Aldag. Sure he was a hypocrite, but it seems as if he has come forward with a complete, honest confession. I hope he also apologizes to those individuals he maligned when he was just as guilty.

Even though he was backed into a corner, at least he didn't deny everything then quit talking (Ullrich), say he only "attempted doping" (Basso), deny everything hire million dollar lawyers and ask for others to pay for it (Landis and Hamilton). So I say good for him and hopefully he can contribute in a positive way. I also think that people missed the point that he offered to resign, but the riders wanted him to stay.

If the UCI punishes everyone who was involved in doping in the 90's, there will be no one left to direct the sport.

15. Serafino

Serafino New Member

Aldag only confessed when there was a gun pointed at his head, and he (we might surmise) pointed another one at T-Mobile. How else can you explain his keeping his job and the T-Mobile riders "wanting" to continue to ride for him.

Everyone wants a leader who's a liar and a hypocrite. Good for team morale!

Sadly, Zabel may be sacked while Aldag gets to keep his position and hefty salary.

I'm not holding my breath until Aldag apologizes to all those he maligned.

Remember, he lied and doped because he thought he could get away with it.

16. fscyclist

fscyclist New Member

Yes, Aldag should apologize to the people he maligned, as I said earlier.

What would you rather have him do at this point? Continue to deny doping, or tell the truth? Sure he made mistakes, but at least he doesn't continue to make them. That can't be said for about 90% of those involved with cycling at the moment.

17. Serafino

Serafino New Member

He shouldn't be involved with a ProTour team (or heaven forbid) a junior team.

Why do riders face a 2-4 year ban while managers continue to suck down big paydays?

18. fscyclist

fscyclist New Member

I think it depends on the circumstance of the admission. Do I think Zabel should receive a ban? Absolutely not. Do I think Basso should? Yes, a life ban for continuing to lie and deceive. However, if he finally owns up to what he did and cooperates, I think he should return to cycling after a period of time.

I think Aldag fits somewhere in between the two. I wouldn't be opposed to a ban of some sort, but I don't think he should be banned for life. I believe people can change and not all dopers wanted to dope.