Aldi cycling specials on Thursday 19 July

Alex Butcher

Guest
Cycling computer - 12.99:
http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/special_buys_pid_56051.html

Rucksack - 4.99:
http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/special_buys_pid_56052.html

Cooler bag - 3.99:
http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/special_buys_pid_56053.html

Glasses - 2.99:
http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/special_buys_pid_56054.html

Car carrier - 24.99:
http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/special_buys_pid_56055.html

Child Seat - 14.99:
http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/special_buys_pid_56056.html

Ceiling lift - 3.99:
http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/special_buys_pid_56057.html

Cable lock - 1.99:
http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/special_buys_pid_56058.html

Gel saddle cover - 2.99:
http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/special_buys_pid_56059.html

Double cylinder foot pump - 2.99:
http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/special_buys_pid_56060.html

Some of these (e.g. the computer), judging by archived conversations, are
bargains, others probably aren't (e.g. the lock for 1.99)

Best Regards,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher, Bristol UK. PGP/GnuPG ID:0x5010dbff

"[T]he whole point about the reason why I think it is important we go for
identity cards and an identity database today is that identity fraud and
abuse is a major, major problem. Now the civil liberties aspect of it, look
it is a view, I don't personally think it matters very much."
- Tony Blair, 6 June 2006 <http://www.number-10.gov.uk/output/Page9566.asp>

Response to Alex Butcher:

> Some of these (e.g. the computer), judging by archived conversations, are
> bargains, others probably aren't (e.g. the lock for 1.99)

I don't recall seeing the bike lift before; it looks quite neat.

--
Mark, UK
"We live off the country: rabbits, deer, a stray hiker or two."

Alex Butcher <[email protected]> wrote:

Thanks for the heads up on this.

>Cycling computer - 12.99:
>http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/special_buys_pid_56051.html

The last time Lidl offered a cheap wireless computer with heart rate
monitor people reported it as a very poor piece of kit (extremely narrow
gap required between the magnet and the sensor if it worked at al, and
heart rate measuring highly unreliable). Afaics this Aldi one is a
different type (and IIRC a different brand). But at that price I find it
hard to believe that it is any good. I do have a Bikemate wired computer
from Aldi and that one works fine (used as a cheapo cadence meter).

>Double cylinder foot pump - 2.99:
>http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/special_buys_pid_56060.html

That one looks conspicuously like a model I got from Maplins not too
long ago, a heap of dung it was. Frame flexed under the pressure
permanently deforming it, it also maxed out at about 75PSI, it simply
wouldn't pump any higher. I returned it for a refund and instead got a
single cylinder Halfords house brand one with a gauge. That one works
fine if you don't need 100PSI+ road bike pressures. Even the gauge
calibration on mine turned out to be spot on (could be a fluke of
course).

--
Membrane

On 13 Jul, 11:27, Alex Butcher <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Cycling computer - 12.99:http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/special_buys_pid_56051.html
>
> Rucksack - 4.99:http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/special_buys_pid_56052.html
>
> Cooler bag - 3.99:http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/special_buys_pid_56053.html

Bought one of the latter last year; put it on the mountain bike
thinking it might be useful as a small carrier; never used it and then
had to remove it to make room for a light.

> Glasses - 2.99:http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/special_buys_pid_56054.html

Last year's seem fine; at least they keep flies out of my eyes.

> Car carrier - 24.99:http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/special_buys_pid_56055.html

I'd be interested in comments on the efficacy of that carrier. I
bought one last year, anticipating using it on a car without twobar (I
already had a towbar fitted carrier); I did a test fitting to the car
--- seemed rather fiddly and maybe too many parts to forget to do
up :)

> Child Seat - 14.99:http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/special_buys_pid_56056.html
>
> Ceiling lift - 3.99:http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/special_buys_pid_56057.html

That looks handy -- for the garage.

> Cable lock - 1.99:http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/special_buys_pid_56058.html
>
> Gel saddle cover - 2.99:http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/special_buys_pid_56059.html

Bought one for the mountain bike to stop my bottom hurting; useless
for me. The PITA turns out to be because of some more fundamental
geometry problem --- I can ride a road bike fine, but the mountain
bike causes pain.

> Double cylinder foot pump - 2.99:http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/special_buys_pid_56060.html

Have one of those; sort of okay for the car, but as someone else
reports, it tended to flex and fall apart.

Thanks for the heads-up. A few months ago Aldi had exceptionally good
value in cycling clothing; OTOH, someday my house will collapse under
the weight of Aldi and Lidl Thursday specials.

Jon C.

"Mark McNeill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Response to Alex Butcher:
>>
>> Some of these (e.g. the computer), judging by archived conversations, are
>> bargains, others probably aren't (e.g. the lock for 1.99)

> I don't recall seeing the bike lift before; it looks quite neat.

It's definitely not an Aldi bike that's suspended tho'.

Nigel Cliffe wrote:
> Alex Butcher wrote:
>> Ceiling lift - 3.99:
>> http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/special_buys_pid_56057.html

> Serious bargain.
> I bought two last time round for myself, and two for a friend.
> I'll be back for some more.
>
> They work very well indeed.

Has anyone tried using one of these to store a bike on it's side against
the ceiling? I live in a low ceilinged shoebox and so hoisting the bike
vertically to the ceiling doesn't really save me any space, it just
gives me something else to crack my head on. I wondered if attaching the
hook thingies to one fork leg and a chainstay would be workable.

TheMgt wrote:
> Nigel Cliffe wrote:
>> Alex Butcher wrote:
>>> Ceiling lift - 3.99:
>>> http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/special_buys_pid_56057.html

>> Serious bargain.
>> I bought two last time round for myself, and two for a friend.
>> I'll be back for some more.
>>
>> They work very well indeed.

> Has anyone tried using one of these to store a bike on it's side
> against the ceiling? I live in a low ceilinged shoebox and so
> hoisting the bike vertically to the ceiling doesn't really save me
> any space, it just gives me something else to crack my head on. I
> wondered if attaching the hook thingies to one fork leg and a
> chainstay would be workable.

In the interests of science, I have been to the garage to try.

Answer, very very wobbly, and I decided to stop at 6 inches off the floor.

May work with two sets of hoists lifting at four points,.
May work with one hoist set if you have a board you can place under the
bike, then lift the whole board with the hooks. If there is a cut-out in the
board to locate a crank/pedal, that should stop the bike moving around.

Alternative may be to lift the bike fairly centrally in the room, then pull
it to one side with the wheels, thus it occupies an upper corner ?

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

Nigel Cliffe wrote:
> TheMgt wrote:

>>Has anyone tried using one of these to store a bike on it's side
>>against the ceiling? I live in a low ceilinged shoebox and so
>>hoisting the bike vertically to the ceiling doesn't really save me
>>any space, it just gives me something else to crack my head on. I
>>wondered if attaching the hook thingies to one fork leg and a
>>chainstay would be workable.

> In the interests of science, I have been to the garage to try.
> Answer, very very wobbly, and I decided to stop at 6 inches off the floor.
>
> May work with two sets of hoists lifting at four points,...

What about 1 hoist lifting at 4 points, e.g. via opposite ends of 2
strong coat hangers?

Or using bungy to spread the two lifting points?

Colin McKenzie

--
No-one has ever proved that cycle helmets make cycling any safer at
the population level, and anyway cycling is about as safe per mile as

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 22:48:01 +0100, "Nigel Cliffe" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Alex Butcher wrote:
>> Ceiling lift - 3.99:
>> http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/special_buys_pid_56057.html

>Serious bargain.
>I bought two last time round for myself, and two for a friend.
>I'll be back for some more.
>
>They work very well indeed.

They do look rather splandid, especially at that price. I could use a
few of them - currently there's three bikes suspended on bits of
piping in the garage, and that's just the ones we don't use. would be
great to be able to put them all up there. Sadly none of the Aldis
near me (in France, Germany or Switzerland) seem to have the same
offers as the UK ones.

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 20:53:38 +0200, Ace <[email protected]> wrote:

[---]

>Sadly none of the Aldis
>near me (in France, Germany or Switzerland)

I take it you live somewhere near Mulhouse or Basel then !

>seem to have the same
>offers as the UK ones.

Indeed. The Lidls in France and Germany seem to have the same special
offers at more or less the same time, but not so with Aldi. Aldi in
Northern Germany hasn't had special offers on cycling clothing since
last September.

In article <[email protected]>, Colin
McKenzie
[email protected] says...
> Nigel Cliffe wrote:
> > TheMgt wrote:

> >>Has anyone tried using one of these to store a bike on it's side
> >>against the ceiling? I live in a low ceilinged shoebox and so
> >>hoisting the bike vertically to the ceiling doesn't really save me
> >>any space, it just gives me something else to crack my head on. I
> >>wondered if attaching the hook thingies to one fork leg and a
> >>chainstay would be workable.

> > In the interests of science, I have been to the garage to try.
> > Answer, very very wobbly, and I decided to stop at 6 inches off the floor.
> >
> > May work with two sets of hoists lifting at four points,...

> What about 1 hoist lifting at 4 points, e.g. via opposite ends of 2
> strong coat hangers?

You'd only need three points, and a loop of cord around the seatpost and
pedal would probably do the job. It would however mean that the bike
would hang a bit lower. I reckon that as long as the hooks couldn't
slide around on the forks/stays then the standard setup would do fine -
maybe a couple of zip ties (on the forks/stays, not attaching the hooks)
in strategic places would be enough to stop them slipping.

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 01:54:14 +0200, Andrew Price <[email protected]>
wrote:

>On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 20:53:38 +0200, Ace <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>[---]
>
>>Sadly none of the Aldis
>>near me (in France, Germany or Switzerland)

>I take it you live somewhere near Mulhouse or Basel then !

Aye. Rocket science, eh? NOT! ;-) Live in the Sundgau and work in
Basel.

>>seem to have the same offers as the UK ones.

>Indeed. The Lidls in France and Germany seem to have the same special
>offers at more or less the same time, but not so with Aldi. Aldi in
>Northern Germany hasn't had special offers on cycling clothing since
>last September.

According to their website (http://aldi.de/), Aldi Nord is a
completely different operation from Aldi Sud, the latter of which also
includes France, CH and the UK. So it's perhaps a less surprising
difference, IYSWIM.

Rob Morley wrote:

> You'd only need three points, and a loop of cord around the seatpost and
> pedal would probably do the job. It would however mean that the bike
> would hang a bit lower. I reckon that as long as the hooks couldn't
> slide around on the forks/stays then the standard setup would do fine -
> maybe a couple of zip ties (on the forks/stays, not attaching the hooks)
> in strategic places would be enough to stop them slipping.

Alternatively you could two point mount it so it was leaning over but
not flat when you lifted it off the floor, fix the handlebars with a
strap round the down tube and front rim and then let the end of the
handlebars push against the ceiling to push the frame horizontal.
That's going to be much more stable than any attempts to balance the
bicycle horizontally on two mounting points.

Tony

Tony Raven wrote:
> Rob Morley wrote:
>>

>> You'd only need three points, and a loop of cord around the seatpost
>> and pedal would probably do the job. It would however mean that the
>> bike would hang a bit lower. I reckon that as long as the hooks
>> couldn't slide around on the forks/stays then the standard setup would
>> do fine - maybe a couple of zip ties (on the forks/stays, not
>> attaching the hooks) in strategic places would be enough to stop them
>> slipping.

> Alternatively you could two point mount it so it was leaning over but
> not flat when you lifted it off the floor, fix the handlebars with a
> strap round the down tube and front rim and then let the end of the
> handlebars push against the ceiling to push the frame horizontal. That's
> going to be much more stable than any attempts to balance the bicycle
> horizontally on two mounting points.

I'd assumed that I'd be able to get the bike touching the ceiling anyway
to maximise headroom and that this would stabilise it a bit. Looking at
the picture I'm not so sure now but given that they're only four quid
I'll try it out anyway. The bars are bullhorn type things about 45cm
wide so if I can get the bar end against the ceiling it should keep the
front wheel from flopping down and give me about 30cm headroom.

Membrane <[email protected]> wrote:

>>Cycling computer - 12.99:
>>http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/special_buys_pid_56051.html

>The last time Lidl offered a cheap wireless computer with heart rate
>monitor people reported it as a very poor piece of kit (extremely narrow
>gap required between the magnet and the sensor if it worked at al, and
>heart rate measuring highly unreliable). Afaics this Aldi one is a
>different type (and IIRC a different brand). But at that price I find it
>hard to believe that it is any good. I do have a Bikemate wired computer
>from Aldi and that one works fine (used as a cheapo cadence meter).

Bought one of these.

Just did my first ride with the Aldi\Bikemate computer\heart monitor.
Chest strap is comfortable, no bother at all. Didn't have to bother with
moisturiser, it just worked.

Heart rate readout seems accurate, once when I sat up straight (hands
off the bars) the chest strap transmitter lost contact with the
computer, but otherwise it didn't miss a beat. I ride a flatbar bike, so
it should work fine for anyone who rides a hybrid or a road bike.

A lower and upper heart rate limit can be programmed, the HRM readout
starts to blink if your heart rate falls below or rises above the set
limits, additionally the unit can be programmed to give an audible alarm
when that happens, very useful to prevent you from accidentally blowing
your top.

I found this guide helpful for learning how to use a HRM:
http://www.cptips.com/hrmntr.htm

The wireless speed sensor also didn't miss a pulse, it showed an
accurate total distance reading for my trip (one of my regular rides)
compared to the previously mounted wired Cateye that was on the bike. I
had no problems with the gap between the sensor and the magnet, manual
says 1-4mm, but mine works fine up to about 1cm.

Contrast of the LCD display is not quite as good as my wired
Aldi\Bikemate computer that I have fitted on the other side of the bar
(functions as a cadence indicator), and the numbers are a bit smaller
making the unit a bit harder to read, but perfectly usable.

I'm happy with it.

--
Membrane

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 19:01:03 +0100, Membrane wrote:

> Membrane <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>>Cycling computer - 12.99:
>>>http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/special_buys_pid_56051.html

>>The last time Lidl offered a cheap wireless computer with heart rate
>>monitor people reported it as a very poor piece of kit (extremely narrow
>>gap required between the magnet and the sensor if it worked at al, and
>>heart rate measuring highly unreliable). Afaics this Aldi one is a
>>different type (and IIRC a different brand). But at that price I find it
>>hard to believe that it is any good. I do have a Bikemate wired computer
>>from Aldi and that one works fine (used as a cheapo cadence meter).

> Bought one of these.
>
> Just did my first ride with the Aldi\Bikemate computer\heart monitor.
> Chest strap is comfortable, no bother at all. Didn't have to bother with
> moisturiser, it just worked.

Yup; I picked up one too and it seems to be working OK at home. There was
a bit of a conflict between getting the sensor < 60cm from the computer
and also getting it <= 4mm from the magnet, but I found a position that
works, albeit at the limit of both ranges! Of course, the real proof of
the pudding will be during a ride...

The footpump doesn't seem too flimsy, either. The rucksacks are OK for the
money, but I think the Eurohike rucksack I bought from Millets for double
the price is a bit better.

Best Regards,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher, Bristol UK. PGP/GnuPG ID:0x5010dbff

"[T]he whole point about the reason why I think it is important we go for
identity cards and an identity database today is that identity fraud and
abuse is a major, major problem. Now the civil liberties aspect of it, look
it is a view, I don't personally think it matters very much."
- Tony Blair, 6 June 2006 <http://www.number-10.gov.uk/output/Page9566.asp>

Alex Butcher <[email protected]> wrote:

>Yup; I picked up one too and it seems to be working OK at home. There was
>a bit of a conflict between getting the sensor < 60cm from the computer
>and also getting it <= 4mm from the magnet, but I found a position that
>works, albeit at the limit of both ranges!

Note the advice in the manual not to align the magnet with the center of
the sensor, but to either side. Doing that I can get up to 1cm clearance
between the magnet and the sensor.

The sensor contains a reed switch, you can hear the switch closing and
opening (in quiet surroundings). This allows finding a reliable position
without having to look at the computer.

--
Membrane

On Jul 20, 8:39 am, Membrane <[email protected]> wrote:
> Alex Butcher <[email protected]> wrote:
> >Yup; I picked up one too and it seems to be working OK at home. There was
> >a bit of a conflict between getting the sensor < 60cm from the computer
> >and also getting it <= 4mm from the magnet, but I found a position that
> >works, albeit at the limit of both ranges!

> Note the advice in the manual not to align the magnet with the center of
> the sensor, but to either side. Doing that I can get up to 1cm clearance
> between the magnet and the sensor.
>
> The sensor contains a reed switch, you can hear the switch closing and
> opening (in quiet surroundings). This allows finding a reliable position
> without having to look at the computer.
>
> --
> Membrane

Was tempted by the wireless computer but the wired Bikemate one I got
from Aldi for £3.99 has been superb.

By the way, Aldi in Nottingham has had the wireless one on sale for
many weeks, if any one's in that area.

Ed.

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 14:10:38 -0700, Ed_Zep wrote:

> On Jul 20, 8:39 am, Membrane <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Alex Butcher <[email protected]> wrote:
>> >Yup; I picked up one too and it seems to be working OK at home. There
>> >was a bit of a conflict between getting the sensor < 60cm from the
>> >computer and also getting it <= 4mm from the magnet, but I found a
>> >position that works, albeit at the limit of both ranges!

>> Note the advice in the manual not to align the magnet with the center of
>> the sensor, but to either side. Doing that I can get up to 1cm clearance
>> between the magnet and the sensor.
>>
>> The sensor contains a reed switch, you can hear the switch closing and
>> opening (in quiet surroundings). This allows finding a reliable position
>> without having to look at the computer.
>>
>> --
>> Membrane

> Was tempted by the wireless computer but the wired Bikemate one I got from
> Aldi for £3.99 has been superb.
>
> By the way, Aldi in Nottingham has had the wireless one on sale for many
> weeks, if any one's in that area.

A quick update; after about three or four usages, I've just exchanged the
computer for another after sweat found its way into the battery
compartment of the heart rate monitor, discharged the battery and left
some internal corrosion. I'd advise anyone else who's got one to check
that this hasn't already happened to theirs. On the replacement HRM and
speed sensor, I've pre-emptively applied some PVC electrical tape to
attempt to prevent recurrence of this problem.

> Ed.

Best Regards,
Alex.