Aldi cycling specials on Thursday 19 July

Alex Butcher <[email protected]> writes:

> after sweat found its way into the battery
> compartment of the heart rate monitor

Were you doing something unusual with it like _exercising_ ? Did they
claim misuse ?

Jon

Jonathan Schneider <[email protected]> wrote:

>Alex Butcher <[email protected]> writes:
>
>> after sweat found its way into the battery
>> compartment of the heart rate monitor

Thanks for the warning.

Alternatively the rubber ring that sits beneath the HRM battery
compartment lid can be embedded in vaseline. I noticed that it is easy
to forget the rubber ring or not position it correctly when the battery
lid is screwed back on after being opened, vaseline should help with
that also.

(apologies for the indirect follow up, for some reason the original
didn't make it through my filters)

--
Membrane

Membrane <[email protected]> wrote:

>The wireless speed sensor also didn't miss a pulse, it showed an
>accurate total distance reading for my trip (one of my regular rides)
>compared to the previously mounted wired Cateye that was on the bike. I
>had no problems with the gap between the sensor and the magnet, manual
>says 1-4mm, but mine works fine up to about 1cm.

A minor gotcha I ran into: when resetting trip data by holding the "set"
button for a few seconds the display will show "RESET" after about 3
seconds. If you release the button at that stage as I did it hasn't
actually reset the trip data, the button needs to be kept pressed for a
bit longer. Wait for the displayed data to reset to "0".

--
Membrane

Membrane <[email protected]> wrote:
> Jonathan Schneider <[email protected]> wrote:

>>Alex Butcher <[email protected]> writes:
>>
>>> after sweat found its way into the battery
>>> compartment of the heart rate monitor

> Thanks for the warning.

> Alternatively the rubber ring that sits beneath the HRM battery
> compartment lid can be embedded in vaseline. I noticed that it is easy
> to forget the rubber ring or not position it correctly when the battery
> lid is screwed back on after being opened, vaseline should help with
> that also.

Vaseline spoils rubber, it swells and becomes fragile and cheesy in
consistency. Better to use silicone grease.

--
Chris Malcolm [email protected] DoD #205
[http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

> I'd be interested in comments on the efficacy of that carrier. I
> bought one last year, anticipating using it on a car without twobar (I
> already had a towbar fitted carrier); I did a test fitting to the car
> --- seemed rather fiddly and maybe too many parts to forget to do
> up :)

I bought one of those cycle carriers, it works a treat. Its a little
wobbly if you dont have a wide side attachment point area (missus car
has a very narrow boot area and is a coupe so its a bit fiddly to get
stable, mines a very wide hatchback coupe so it fits a treat except it
clobbers the spoiler if I dont pad it out properly). 6 straps, two go
to the top of the boot/hatch, two to the sides and two underneath -
thats your lot. The top 4 hold on by using dumbells that go into the
car and you shut the hatch on them, the bottom two hook under the
bumper on mine. I figured they might leak in a little where the straps
go through the seals but it doesnt seem to even with heavy rain. Holds
2 hefty full sus MTBs fine and dandy and keeps the mud out of our
cars. Also means we can use the missus car (45mpg) instead of mine
(17mpg) to get to distant offroad trails which is a bit more green -
it was a nightmare trying to get 2 MTBs into the boot of a megane
coupe before so we used mine instead.

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 08:03:14 +0000, Jonathan Schneider wrote:

> Alex Butcher <[email protected]> writes:
>
>> after sweat found its way into the battery compartment of the heart rate
>> monitor

> Were you doing something unusual with it like _exercising_ ? Did they
> claim misuse ?

No, they were good as gold and just took it back and exchanged it with no
problems.

> Jon

Best Regards,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher, Bristol UK. PGP/GnuPG ID:0x5010dbff

"[T]he whole point about the reason why I think it is important we go for
identity cards and an identity database today is that identity fraud and
abuse is a major, major problem. Now the civil liberties aspect of it, look
it is a view, I don't personally think it matters very much."
- Tony Blair, 6 June 2006 <http://www.number-10.gov.uk/output/Page9566.asp>

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 10:31:02 +0100, Membrane wrote:

> Membrane <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>The wireless speed sensor also didn't miss a pulse, it showed an accurate
>>total distance reading for my trip (one of my regular rides) compared to
>>the previously mounted wired Cateye that was on the bike. I had no
>>problems with the gap between the sensor and the magnet, manual says
>>1-4mm, but mine works fine up to about 1cm.

> A minor gotcha I ran into: when resetting trip data by holding the "set"
> button for a few seconds the display will show "RESET" after about 3
> seconds. If you release the button at that stage as I did it hasn't
> actually reset the trip data, the button needs to be kept pressed for a
> bit longer. Wait for the displayed data to reset to "0".

Any luck with the calorie/fat burn features? Despite setting my weight in
Kg and wearing the Heart Rate Monitor, I can't seem to get any reading
from those two. I suspect it's something to do with being in the heart
rate zone, but the manual isn't terribly clear on the point.

Cheers,
Alex.
--

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 08:41:54 -0700, CoyoteBoy wrote:

> I bought one of those cycle carriers, it works a treat.

I looked into them, but the box warned that it wasn't compatible with the
newer model of the Rover 400, which by implication, probably means
it wouldn't work well with my older-model Rover 200.

Has anyone any suggestions for secure carriers for two bikes, preferably
for the boot, but otherwise roof-mounted?

Cheers,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher, Bristol UK. PGP/GnuPG ID:0x5010dbff

"[T]he whole point about the reason why I think it is important we go for
identity cards and an identity database today is that identity fraud and
abuse is a major, major problem. Now the civil liberties aspect of it, look
it is a view, I don't personally think it matters very much."
- Tony Blair, 6 June 2006 <http://www.number-10.gov.uk/output/Page9566.asp>

Response to Alex Butcher:
> I looked into them, but the box warned that it wasn't compatible with the
> newer model of the Rover 400, which by implication, probably means
> it wouldn't work well with my older-model Rover 200.
>
> Has anyone any suggestions for secure carriers for two bikes, preferably
> for the boot, but otherwise roof-mounted?

http://www.roofbox.co.uk

are your man for cycle carriers, I'm told; that's the usual
recommendation here. (I've ordered roofbars for my car from them, and
got exactly what I wanted very promptly.)

You can find recommended carriers for your model of car on their website
if you go to "cycle carriers" and hit "Which rear fitting bike carriers
can I use?".

--
Mark, UK
"Nothing sets a person up more than having something turn out just the

Alex Butcher <[email protected]> wrote:

>Any luck with the calorie/fat burn features? Despite setting my weight in
>Kg and wearing the Heart Rate Monitor, I can't seem to get any reading
>from those two. I suspect it's something to do with being in the heart
>rate zone, but the manual isn't terribly clear on the point.

The "Fatburn" sub function displayed "0.2" (KG) after my first 60KM ride
(that included ~ 440m of climbing). I did set the heart rate zone
(initially to an estimate, after my first ride to my actual MHR), but I
don't know if that has any relation to the calorie & fatburn functions.

Afaik the human body preferentially burns fat below a certain heart
rate, and preferentially carbohydrates above that heart rate. I don't
know if the computer takes that into account.

I haven't figured out yet what when the computer is in "Calorie" mode
the third row of digits is supposed to display (it read "0.0" after my
first ride). Afaics it is not the total kilo calories burned as that is
on the "Tot.Kcal" sub menu. IIRC "Tot.Kcal" also didn't display any
value after my first ride (I can't check the data from my second ride as
I've reset the trip data after that ride).

As you note the manual lacks in clarity on the calorie modes.

--
Membrane

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 20:50:48 +0100, Membrane wrote:

> Alex Butcher <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Any luck with the calorie/fat burn features? Despite setting my weight in
>>Kg and wearing the Heart Rate Monitor, I can't seem to get any reading
>>from those two. I suspect it's something to do with being in the heart
>>rate zone, but the manual isn't terribly clear on the point.

> The "Fatburn" sub function displayed "0.2" (KG) after my first 60KM ride
> (that included ~ 440m of climbing). I did set the heart rate zone
> (initially to an estimate, after my first ride to my actual MHR), but I
> don't know if that has any relation to the calorie & fatburn functions.

Hmm, well, if it reckons you only burnt 0.2Kg of fat over 60Km, then that
might explain why I've not seen it go above 0.0Kg yet, as I've only done
much shorter rides so far!

Thanks anyway; I've got an email support request lodged with the
manufacturer. I'll post again if I get anything useful back from them.

Cheers,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher, Bristol UK. PGP/GnuPG ID:0x5010dbff

"[T]he whole point about the reason why I think it is important we go for
identity cards and an identity database today is that identity fraud and
abuse is a major, major problem. Now the civil liberties aspect of it, look
it is a view, I don't personally think it matters very much."
- Tony Blair, 6 June 2006 <http://www.number-10.gov.uk/output/Page9566.asp>

Membrane <[email protected]> wrote:

>As you note the manual lacks in clarity on the calorie modes.

I found a feature that isn't mentioned in the manual: pressing the "set"
button when "scan" mode is active alternates between display of the
current heart rate, a trip's average heart rate, and a trip's maximum
heart rate.

--
Membrane

In article <[email protected]>, Chris Malcolm
[email protected] says...

> Vaseline spoils rubber, it swells and becomes fragile and cheesy in
> consistency. Better to use silicone grease.

I think it's reasonable to assume they use a standard O-ring made of
synthetic rubber that resists oil rot. Maybe not.

In article <[email protected]>, Mark McNeill
[email protected] says...

> http://www.roofbox.co.uk
>
> are your man for cycle carriers, I'm told; that's the usual
> recommendation here. (I've ordered roofbars for my car from them, and
> got exactly what I wanted very promptly.)
>

> You can find recommended carriers for your model of car on their website
> if you go to "cycle carriers" and hit "Which rear fitting bike carriers
> can I use?".

Cool - according to that the bars from one of my older old cars will fit
my newer old car, something about which I was doubtful but I hadn't got
around to trying it.

Rob Morley <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>, Chris Malcolm
> [email protected] says...

>> Vaseline spoils rubber, it swells and becomes fragile and cheesy in
>> consistency. Better to use silicone grease.

> I think it's reasonable to assume they use a standard O-ring made of
> synthetic rubber that resists oil rot. Maybe not.

You're probably right. On the other hand the sealing greases the
factories use on watches are silicone.

--

On 30 Jul, 16:41, CoyoteBoy <[email protected]> wrote:
> > I'd be interested in comments on the efficacy of that carrier. I
> > bought one last year, anticipating using it on a car without twobar (I
> > already had a towbar fitted carrier); I did a test fitting to the car
> > --- seemed rather fiddly and maybe too many parts to forget to do
> > up :)

> I bought one of those cycle carriers, it works a treat. Its a little
> wobbly if you dont have a wide side attachment point area (missus car
> has a very narrow boot area and is a coupe so its a bit fiddly to get
> stable, mines a very wide hatchback coupe so it fits a treat except it
> clobbers the spoiler if I dont pad it out properly). 6 straps, two go
> to the top of the boot/hatch, two to the sides and two underneath -
> thats your lot. The top 4 hold on by using dumbells that go into the
> car and you shut the hatch on them, the bottom two hook under the
> bumper on mine. I figured they might leak in a little where the straps
> go through the seals but it doesnt seem to even with heavy rain. Holds
> 2 hefty full sus MTBs fine and dandy and keeps the mud out of our
> cars. Also means we can use the missus car (45mpg) instead of mine
> (17mpg) to get to distant offroad trails which is a bit more green -
> it was a nightmare trying to get 2 MTBs into the boot of a megane
> coupe before so we used mine instead.

Thanks, that's comforting. When I bought it, I did a trial fitting and
I suppose I had no real reason for the lack of confidence that I
expressed.

Dunno when I'll ever use it. I have a towbar mounted rack --- and the
current car has a towbar. Moreover, I care little enough about the
interior of my car that when I'm travelling on my own I remove the
front wheel and lean it against the back set. Plus, more secure.

Incidentally, if anyone wants one and is near Buncrana, Ireland,
there's a few left ((2nd August).

Best regards,

Jon C.