Aldi - Heart Rate Monitor - £14.99

I use spit on my Polar and Lidl HRMs

"Michael Klontzas" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, dated Fri, 24 Jan 2003 16:51:57
> -0000, Gavin Gillespie <[email protected]> says...
> >Thanks Bob, we did try water before buying the gel, but that did not make any difference, it just
> >seems odd that two monitors are doing exactly the same. It looks like it is back to the shop with
> >them, but I would still be interested if anyone else is, or is not, having the same problem.
>
> Similar situation here. BTW, no previous experience whatsoever, so I'm not sure what I should
> expect really. I got two of those, one for a friend and one for myself. I tried both at home
> without gel or anything and they were both refusing to show any pulse. So, I put one on and
> started hoovering! About 20mins (as you said) I suddenly came back from the dead -- from flatliner
> to 120bpm in a split second. From then on its stability was rock solid throughout and after the
> hoovering session. A couple of hours later I put it back on and started cycling. Same situation.
> No signal until about 25mins later. Then a bit on and off and suddenly rock solid. No interference
> and I could re-position it with no interruptions at all. That's when I started suspecting it was
> the sweat that was doing the trick. On my way back, again 40mins of inactivity and suddenly it was
> working again. So, when I got back home I dried skin & sensor and then it wouldn't work. Applied
> some water and it immediately started working again.
>
> Conclusions:
> (a) It looks like I'm going to get some gel tomorrow!
> (b) Hoovering indoors is a sweatier business than cycling outdoors (the differences in
> temperatures may have something to do with this).
>
> While I'm still at it, can someone tell me how those sensors work? I mean, I am guessing they
> detect the electrical activity that causes the heart muscle to contract or something like that,
> which explains why good conductivity is essential. But if there is no switch how can they tell
> when to transmit RF? Are they just transmitting a pulse for every pulse they detect (in which
> case, if you don't have them on, they will be idle, therefore they don't waste battery energy)?
>
> --
> Michael Klontzas 'If everything seems to be coming your way, you're probably in the wrong lane'
> (Borstelmann's Rule)

In article <[email protected]>, Gavin Gillespie
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Time for some experimentation, but my neighbour gave me a funny look when I asked if she had any
> K-Y jelly :eek:)

Just be glad/discomfitted that she didn't ask you indoors:)

--
A T (Sandy) Morton on the Bicycle Island In the Global Village

<[email protected]> wrote:
> Time for some experimentation, but my neighbour gave me a funny look when I asked if she had any
> K-Y jelly :eek:)

Just be glad/discomfitted that she didn't ask you indoors:)

--
A T (Sandy) Morton on the Bicycle Island In the Global Village

[ subst invalid with .ac.uk ]

Gavin Gillespie <[email protected]> wrote:

> I picked a couple of them up for a friend and I. We both find that when the chest strap is worn,
> no activity registers on the watch until after 20 mins

I find that after 5 minutes when I can /feel/ the sweat on my skin it comes to life and work like a
charm after that. Since it undoutably works by measuring the change in resistance of the skin right
next to the sensor (which probably just has a small magnetic field) or detects the changes in
voltages by the heart THEN having something with lower resistance (like sweat) compared to dead skin
is going to make it work.

The timing difference is probably down to me sweating more quickley (I've only used it when on my
turbo trainer).

I'm guessing quality at this stage (given I was impressed by the watch and transmission and
sensor+strap for the price) is in detection and its sensitivity.

Oh, and I bought too many (on purpose) so if someone would like one then get in touch, am in
Cambridge.

ali
--
CD : One by One / Foo Fighters Film : Avalon

"Ali Bharmal" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> [ subst invalid with .ac.uk ]
>
> Gavin Gillespie <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I picked a couple of them up for a friend and I. We both find that when
the
> > chest strap is worn, no activity registers on the watch until after 20
mins

> I find that after 5 minutes when I can /feel/ the sweat on my skin it
comes
> to life and work like a charm after that.
<...>
> I'm guessing quality at this stage (given I was impressed by the watch and transmission and
> sensor+strap for the price) is in detection and its sensitivity.

Although the sensor does look bad, its working fine for me now. I actually place it higher (ie on
ribs) than the one I used to use (a cardiosport).

I've been playing with it and its got a ridiculously large set of features. I've never had a lap
timer before, and will probably use it to time different stretches of my commute (ie the big
long hill). I now realise its got an average heart rate per lap, so I could look at that for
each stretch.

Ah, the fun of gizmos

"W K" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Ali Bharmal" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > [ subst invalid with .ac.uk ]
> >
> > Gavin Gillespie <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > > I picked a couple of them up for a friend and I. We both find that
when
> the
> > > chest strap is worn, no activity registers on the watch until after 20
> mins
> >
> > I find that after 5 minutes when I can /feel/ the sweat on my skin it
> comes
> > to life and work like a charm after that.
> <...>
> > I'm guessing quality at this stage (given I was impressed by the watch
and
> > transmission and sensor+strap for the price) is in detection and its sensitivity.
>
> Although the sensor does look bad, its working fine for me now. I actually place it higher (ie on
> ribs) than the one I used to use (a cardiosport).
>
> I've been playing with it and its got a ridiculously large set of
features.
> I've never had a lap timer before, and will probably use it to time different stretches of my
> commute (ie the big long hill). I now realise its got an average heart rate per lap, so I
> could look at
that
> for each stretch.
>
> Ah, the fun of gizmos

I returned mine yesterday, no problems, and was given a refund. It was reported on the returns
receipt as 'delayed start'. I liked the features, and for the money, it would have been fantastic
value, if the monitor had been more responsive, but I wanted to know my heart rate before, and
during the start of exercise, and not just after 20mins. My friend is happy to work with the
limitations, and says he will be keeping his.
--
Gavin Gillespie Nottingham UK www.Giltbrook.co.uk www.LawrencesEastwood.co.uk

"Gavin Gillespie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:uKOZ9.6809$RZ.67542@newsfep4-

> I returned mine yesterday, no problems, and was given a refund. It was reported on the returns
> receipt as 'delayed start'. I liked the features, and for the money, it would have been fantastic
value,
> if the monitor had been more responsive, but I wanted to know my heart
rate
> before, and during the start of exercise, and not just after 20mins. My friend is happy to work
> with the limitations, and says he will be keeping his.

Ah, the sweaty man was right.

I lick the contacts before putting it on, and put it on without sliding it. I have to do this with
the cardiosport too - I imagine its common to most HRMs.

It also doesn't work if you go out first thing in the morning (honest) without showering - ie you
are already rather salty and sticky.

(Also near cordless computers or tram lines)

On Wed, 29 Jan 2003 11:45:01 -0000, "W K" <[email protected]> wrote: [snip]
>It also doesn't work if you go out first thing in the morning (honest) without showering - ie you
>are already rather salty and sticky.
>
>(Also near cordless computers or tram lines)

My £17.99 one from Lidl (last year's model) works fine near the Sheffield tram lines. Good job as I
cross them 3 times and follow them for a mile on my commute!

Alan

[Ciao Simon,
my name is Darko, I saw in your message you were wrighting about medion , you you know by any chance name web site where I could find manual for medion md4302. I bought one but I got it without it.
Best regards
Darko
[email protected]

> find manual for medion md4302. I bought one but I got it without it.

Anybody else irritated by the way Aldi have something then don't a week later ?

Is some of it bankrupt stock or do companies like Crane sports only produce stuff for them for
short periods ?

Jon

Jon Schneider wrote:
>> find manual for medion md4302. I bought one but I got it without it.
>
> Anybody else irritated by the way Aldi have something then don't a week later ?

No. It's how they keep the prices so low. Expecting such low prices *and* long term availability is
unrealistic.

Tim
--
Remove the obvious to reply by email.