Aldi - Heart Rate Monitor - £14.99

Simon Galgut

Guest
From 23rd January Includes bike handlebar mount

Regards Simon

On Sat, 11 Jan 2003 16:54:21 -0000, "Simon Galgut" <[email protected]> wrote:

>From 23rd January Includes bike handlebar mount

How did you find that info? The Aldi website only gives specials details for the following week
(atm 16 Jan).

Bob

As it doesn't seem possible to find out anything about this on their website, could you post a few
details (if you can see them in your leaflet...) Can you wear it as a watch too, and how does it
pick up heart rate - wrist or chest strap?

My cox just dropped my sports watch in the river, which is somewhat annoying - now I'm in the market
for a replacement and this could fit the bill :)

Cheers,

Simon

"Call me Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sat, 11 Jan 2003 16:54:21 -0000, "Simon Galgut" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >From 23rd January Includes bike handlebar mount
>
> How did you find that info? The Aldi website only gives specials details for the following week
> (atm 16 Jan).

A leaflet dropped through out letterbox this very day !

Regards Simon

Simon Galgut wrote:

> OK
>
> Make is Medion Current, average and maximum heartrate Resting heartrate Time training within
> the set training range Average heartrate per lap Calorie consumption Fat burning Watch
> Stopwatch Countdown Includes chest strap transmitter Universal bike handlebar bracket Detailed
> operating manual
>
> It looks from the piccie that you can wear it as a watch
>
> Regards Simon

Many thanks, much appreciated.

Looks rather good for the price... might just have to get one...

Cheers,

Simon

Call me Bob wrote:

>>I take it the LIDL ones aren't still around?
>
> No, they were on offer once or twice last year. None around at the moment but they'll probably be
> back at some point.

Thanks. Guess I'll wait for 23rd Jan then...

Simon

"Simon Galgut" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> From 23rd January Includes bike handlebar mount

I have just browsed into this group, after doing a Google search for the Aldi heart rate monitor at
£14.99. Did anyone purchase one of these from Aldi, and what are their experiences with it?

I picked a couple of them up for a friend and I. We both find that when the chest strap is worn, no
activity registers on the watch until after 20 mins or so of exercise. We have tried new batteries,
and ECG jelly, but neither improved things. Is this normal with this type of heart rate monitor, or
do they need returning as faulty, as it seems pointless having to do over 20 mins. of exercise
before a reading can be obtained.

Anyone help on this please?

Gavin

On Fri, 24 Jan 2003 15:33:00 -0000, "Gavin Gillespie" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I picked a couple of them up for a friend and I. We both find that when the chest strap is worn, no
>activity registers on the watch until after 20 mins or so of exercise. We have tried new batteries,
>and ECG jelly, but neither improved things. Is this normal with this type of heart rate monitor, or
>do they need returning as faulty, as it seems pointless having to do over 20 mins. of exercise
>before a reading can be obtained.

No, that's not normal for a heart rate monitor, if you really can't get a reliable reading from it
pretty much straight away then you should consider returning it.

I use one of the cheap Lidl monitors (£17) and it's very good although it too is a bit sluggish if I
put it on "dry". However, if I just dab a little water on my chest so that it's slightly damp where
the strap sits it is fine and works very well, right from the off.

If you've tried ECG gel then water probably won't work any better, but you could give it a try
before returning it?

Bob

"Gavin Gillespie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...

> "Simon Galgut" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > From 23rd January Includes bike handlebar mount
> >

> I have just browsed into this group, after doing a Google search for the Aldi heart rate monitor
> at £14.99. Did anyone purchase one of these from Aldi, and what are their experiences with it?
>
> I picked a couple of them up for a friend and I. We both find that when
the
> chest strap is worn, no activity registers on the watch until after 20
mins
> or so of exercise. We have tried new batteries, and ECG jelly, but neither improved things. Is
> this normal with this type of heart rate monitor, or
do
> they need returning as faulty, as it seems pointless having to do over 20 mins. of exercise before
> a reading can be obtained.
>
> Anyone help on this please?
>
> Gavin

It's obviously French.....If you can't even make it through 20 mins of exercise, then why should it
make the effort to tell you just how unfit you are...Does it give a sort of shoulder shrugging
motion when first used ? ;-) Dave.

"Call me Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 24 Jan 2003 15:33:00 -0000, "Gavin Gillespie" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >I picked a couple of them up for a friend and I. We both find that when
the
> >chest strap is worn, no activity registers on the watch until after 20
mins
> >or so of exercise. We have tried new batteries, and ECG jelly, but
neither
> >improved things. Is this normal with this type of heart rate monitor, or
do
> >they need returning as faulty, as it seems pointless having to do over 20 mins. of exercise
> >before a reading can be obtained.
>
> No, that's not normal for a heart rate monitor, if you really can't get a reliable reading from it
> pretty much straight away then you should consider returning it.
>
> I use one of the cheap Lidl monitors (£17) and it's very good although it too is a bit sluggish if
> I put it on "dry". However, if I just dab a little water on my chest so that it's slightly damp
> where the strap sits it is fine and works very well, right from the off.
>
> If you've tried ECG gel then water probably won't work any better, but you could give it a try
> before returning it?

Thanks Bob, we did try water before buying the gel, but that did not make any difference, it just
seems odd that two monitors are doing exactly the same. It looks like it is back to the shop with
them, but I would still be interested if anyone else is, or is not, having the same problem.

Gavin

Dave, deftly scribbled ;

> "Gavin Gillespie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:eek:[email protected]...

>> I picked a couple of them up for a friend and I. We both find that when the chest strap is worn,
>> no activity registers on the watch until after 20 mins or so of exercise. We have tried new
>> batteries, and ECG jelly, but neither improved things. Is this normal with this type of heart
>> rate monitor, or do they need returning as faulty, as it seems pointless having to do over 20
>> mins. of exercise before a reading can be obtained.

> It's obviously French.....If you can't even make it through 20 mins of exercise, then why should
> it make the effort to tell you just how unfit you are...Does it give a sort of shoulder shrugging
> motion when first used ? ;-) Dave.

Or play the Marseilleisse (spelling ?) when the heart rate tops 140 .. ;)

--
...................................Paul-*** Seti 1355 wu in 9546 hours

In article <[email protected]>, dated Sat, 25 Jan 2003
11:44:53 -0000, M Series <[email protected]> says...
>I use spit on my Polar and Lidl HRMs

In the meanwhile, I found this:

You may like to know that Lewes published a paper in the British Heart Journal in 1965
showing that ketchup, mayonnaise, toothpaste and K-Y jelly all produced equally good results
as electrode gel. <http://www.mikecowley.co.uk/leads.htm>

Now, will someone pass me the ketchup?

--
Michael Klontzas 'If everything seems to be coming your way, you're probably in the wrong lane'
(Borstelmann's Rule)

"Michael Klontzas" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, dated Sat, 25 Jan 2003
> 11:44:53 -0000, M Series <[email protected]> says...
> >I use spit on my Polar and Lidl HRMs
>
> In the meanwhile, I found this:
>
> You may like to know that Lewes published a paper in the British Heart Journal in 1965 showing
> that ketchup, mayonnaise, toothpaste and K-Y jelly all produced equally good results as electrode
> gel. <http://www.mikecowley.co.uk/leads.htm>
>
> Now, will someone pass me the ketchup?

Time for some experimentation, but my neighbour gave me a funny look when I asked if she had any
K-Y jelly :eek:)
--
Gavin Gillespie Nottingham UK www.Giltbrook.co.uk www.LawrencesEastwood.co.uk

I bought one of the similarly priced LIDL ones last year. Not the most fashionable but it does what
it says on the tin :) All the best

Stan Cox

Simon Hay <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Simon Galgut wrote:
>
> > OK
> >
> > Make is Medion Current, average and maximum heartrate Resting heartrate Time training within the
> > set training range Average heartrate per lap Calorie consumption Fat burning Watch Stopwatch
> > Countdown Includes chest strap transmitter Universal bike handlebar bracket Detailed operating
> > manual
> >
> > It looks from the piccie that you can wear it as a watch
> >
> > Regards Simon
>
> Many thanks, much appreciated.
>
> Looks rather good for the price... might just have to get one...
>
> Cheers,
>
> Simon

I got the Lidl one, worth the money, I suppose for £14.99 one can afford to replace an Aldi one
every year or two.

news:D[email protected]...

Stan Cox wrote:
> I bought one of the similarly priced LIDL ones last year. Not the most fashionable but it does
> what it says on the tin :) All the best

I too got the LIDL one. They called it a Heart rate pulse watch, name Run Tec (model 20444) seen on
www.runtec.info. Yes it had a rubber block to go on the bars and the watch strap closed around that.
Excellent value. Mike

In article <[email protected]>, dated Fri, 24 Jan 2003 16:51:57
-0000, Gavin Gillespie <[email protected]> says...
>Thanks Bob, we did try water before buying the gel, but that did not make any difference, it just
>seems odd that two monitors are doing exactly the same. It looks like it is back to the shop with
>them, but I would still be interested if anyone else is, or is not, having the same problem.

Similar situation here. BTW, no previous experience whatsoever, so I'm not sure what I should expect
really. I got two of those, one for a friend and one for myself. I tried both at home without gel or
anything and they were both refusing to show any pulse. So, I put one on and started hoovering!
About 20mins (as you said) I suddenly came back from the dead -- from flatliner to 120bpm in a split
second. From then on its stability was rock solid throughout and after the hoovering session. A
couple of hours later I put it back on and started cycling. Same situation. No signal until about
25mins later. Then a bit on and off and suddenly rock solid. No interference and I could re-position
it with no interruptions at all. That's when I started suspecting it was the sweat that was doing
the trick. On my way back, again 40mins of inactivity and suddenly it was working again. So, when I
got back home I dried skin & sensor and then it wouldn't work. Applied some water and it immediately
started working again.

Conclusions:
(a) It looks like I'm going to get some gel tomorrow!
(b) Hoovering indoors is a sweatier business than cycling outdoors (the differences in temperatures
may have something to do with this).

While I'm still at it, can someone tell me how those sensors work? I mean, I am guessing they detect
the electrical activity that causes the heart muscle to contract or something like that, which
explains why good conductivity is essential. But if there is no switch how can they tell when to
transmit RF? Are they just transmitting a pulse for every pulse they detect (in which case, if you
don't have them on, they will be idle, therefore they don't waste battery energy)?

--
Michael Klontzas 'If everything seems to be coming your way, you're probably in the wrong lane'
(Borstelmann's Rule)

"Michael Klontzas" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Similar situation here. BTW, no previous experience whatsoever, so I'm not sure what I should
> expect really. I got two of those, one for a friend and one for myself. I tried both at home
> without gel or anything and they were both refusing to show any pulse. So, I put one on and
> started hoovering! About 20mins (as you said) I suddenly came back from the dead -- from flatliner
> to 120bpm in a split second. From then on its stability was rock solid throughout and after the
> hoovering session. A couple of hours later I put it back on and started cycling. Same situation.
> No signal until about 25mins later. Then a bit on and off and suddenly rock solid. No interference
> and I could re-position it with no interruptions at all. That's when I started suspecting it was
> the sweat that was doing the trick. On my way back, again 40mins of inactivity and suddenly it was
> working again. So, when I got back home I dried skin & sensor and then it wouldn't work. Applied
> some water and it immediately started working again.
>
> Conclusions:
> (a) It looks like I'm going to get some gel tomorrow!
> (b) Hoovering indoors is a sweatier business than cycling outdoors (the differences in
> temperatures may have something to do with this).
>
> While I'm still at it, can someone tell me how those sensors work? I mean, I am guessing they
> detect the electrical activity that causes the heart muscle to contract or something like that,
> which explains why good conductivity is essential. But if there is no switch how can they tell
> when to transmit RF? Are they just transmitting a pulse for every pulse they detect (in which
> case, if you don't have them on, they will be idle, therefore they don't waste battery energy)?

Michael, be careful about buying the ECG gel, because my friend paid £3.85 for a tube, and it made
no difference.
--
Gavin Gillespie Nottingham UK www.Giltbrook.co.uk www.LawrencesEastwood.co.uk