ALDI Re-Chargeables

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Gordon Harris, Jun 16, 2005.

  1. I bought 3 packs of 4 NiMh (AA size) at AFDI today at £1.99 per pack.

    Only 1700 mAh, but seemed like a good buy....
    --
    Gordon Harris

    Tags:

  2. druidh

    druidh Guest

    I'm a bit of a Max-power snob now with the old NIMH's. It's
    entertaining to see the rate at which the power ratings is increasing.
    AAA's are now available at 1000mAh, and AA's at 2600 mAh. Anybody seen
    any advance on these figures?

    druidh

  3. On 17 Jun 2005 03:10:29 -0700, "druidh" <[email protected]> wrote:

    | I'm a bit of a Max-power snob now with the old NIMH's. It's
    | entertaining to see the rate at which the power ratings is increasing.
    | AAA's are now available at 1000mAh, and AA's at 2600 mAh. Anybody seen
    | any advance on these figures?

    Anyone got a discharge specification for NiMH cells.
    Is it ???amps for ???mins then 0 amps for ???mins like the old zinc carbon
    cells used to have?

    Anyone know how long they hold charge?
    Mine seem to self discharge in a couple of days :-(

    --
    Dave Fawthrop <dave hyphenologist co uk> http://www.webshots.com
    Thousands of wonderful professional photos for your Wallpaper and

  4. druidh

    druidh Guest

    That self-discherge thing is definitely wrong. Mine seem to hold *some*
    charge for at least a month. Having said that, I've invested in a
    decent charger and it may be that the charging cycle is the
    determining factor.

    druidh

  5. In article <[email protected]>, Dave Fawthrop
    <[email protected]> writes
    >On 17 Jun 2005 03:10:29 -0700, "druidh" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >| I'm a bit of a Max-power snob now with the old NIMH's. It's
    >| entertaining to see the rate at which the power ratings is increasing.
    >| AAA's are now available at 1000mAh, and AA's at 2600 mAh. Anybody seen
    >| any advance on these figures?
    >
    >Anyone got a discharge specification for NiMH cells.

    Here is a datasheet for Energizer 2500mAh AAs:
    http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/nh15.pdf

    >Anyone know how long they hold charge?

    Ages. My camera has two sets that alternate between being main and
    spare. The spares may not have been charged for a month but have never
    let me down when I needed to change. The flat ones get charged and then
    become the spares.

    >Mine seem to self discharge in a couple of days :-(

    If you mean disconnected from your toys then either they are goosed or
    they have not been charged properly. Possible they were goosed by a crap
    / faulty charger. It could just be one bad cell that gives up long
    before the others.

    If you mean in a toy then the toy could be faulty.

    I recommend getting a good charger like the Maha 401
    http://www.nevadaradio.co.uk/acatalog/c4011fw.html

    and keeping the cells in sets that are all used together and charged
    together. That way they stand the best chance of staying matched to each
    other.

    --

    Dominic Sexton

  6. In article <[email protected]>,
    druidh <[email protected]> writes
    >I'm a bit of a Max-power snob now with the old NIMH's. It's
    >entertaining to see the rate at which the power ratings is increasing.
    >AAA's are now available at 1000mAh, and AA's at 2600 mAh. Anybody seen
    >any advance on these figures?
    >

    >druidh

    I'm a decent charger snob to make the most of the available capacity
    available in the cells. I use a Maha C401, what do you use?

    If you don't use a single channel per cell smart charger you will not be
    getting them most from whatever capacity they have.

    Here's the Maha:
    http://www.nevadaradio.co.uk/acatalog/c4011fw.html

    It also has a fast (2h) / slow (5h) switch so you can be gentle on the
    cells when you are not in a hurry.

    --

    Dominic Sexton

  7. druidh

    druidh Guest

    I use the Ansmann Digispeed 4 (single cell / trickle / car adapter). As
    you suggest, all batteries are labelled (in pairs / fours) when I get
    them.

    druidh

  8. John Yale

    John Yale Guest

    Dave Fawthrop <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Anyone know how long they hold charge?
    > Mine seem to self discharge in a couple of days :-(

    ISTR NiCds are about 1% self discharge per day, I expect NiMh are similar.

    John

  9. Daytona

    Daytona Guest

    Dominic Sexton <{d-sep03}@dscs.demon.co.uk> wrote:

    >I'm a decent charger snob to make the most of the available capacity
    >available in the cells. I use a Maha C401, what do you use?

    I never even considered it when I bought my cheapy unbranded charger.
    What's the worst that can happen ?

    Daytona

  10. In article <[email protected]>, Daytona
    <[email protected]> writes
    >Dominic Sexton <{d-sep03}@dscs.demon.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    >>I'm a decent charger snob to make the most of the available capacity
    >>available in the cells. I use a Maha C401, what do you use?

    >I never even considered it when I bought my cheapy unbranded charger.
    >What's the worst that can happen ?

    Fire?

    The poor chargers can over-charge or charge too fast both of which will
    reduce the life of the cells in the long run. If it also charges in
    pairs then if the two cells are in a different state of discharge or one
    has deteriorated more than the other then neither of them will be
    charged properly. Again this will reduce the life of the cells.

    If you don't mind deterioration and failure of cells it is no big deal.
    Likewise if you are always chasing the newer, higher capacity cells you
    might not notice the deterioration. However there is little point in
    buying high capacity cells and then not charging them properly because
    you will never get the full capacity from them.

    --

    Dominic Sexton

  11. In article <[email protected]>, Dominic Sexton
    <{d-sep03}@dscs.demon.co.uk> writes
    >In article <[email protected]>, Daytona
    ><[email protected]> writes
    >>Dominic Sexton <{d-sep03}@dscs.demon.co.uk> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I'm a decent charger snob to make the most of the available capacity
    >>>available in the cells. I use a Maha C401, what do you use?

    >>I never even considered it when I bought my cheapy unbranded charger.
    >>What's the worst that can happen ?

    >Fire?
    >
    >The poor chargers can over-charge or charge too fast both of which will
    >reduce the life of the cells in the long run.

    I forgot to say that the poor fast chargers can literally cook the cells
    by trying to stuff too much current into them. If they get very hot in
    charging (almost too hot to touch) they will be damaged and their life,
    in terms of both capacity and number of times they can be charged, will
    be reduced.

    --

    Dominic Sexton

  12. Al

    Al Guest

    Hi

    To build on what Dominic has said.
    I am a model aeroplane flyer of many years and the heart of the control
    system has been nicads/NiMh's. I could bore with all sorts of info including
    there is no better cell than Sanyo. The easiest way is to give a link to a
    well respected provider of information over a few years and maybe it'll
    answer a few questions. NiMh's look to the menu on the left.
    http://www.rcbatteryclinic.com/

    Just for info I use a RadioControl charger on a 12 volt battery, stable
    voltage so as not to affect the critical peak voltage detection (smaller
    peak on NiMh's compared to NiCads) . this will be the usual reason for the
    Nimh's frying. When new they don't exhibit a peak voltage so clearly , so
    the cheaper chargers miss it. When you get new cells by all means use your
    cheap charger but don't rely on it to cut out. manually stop it. Then
    discharge your cells and do the same again. Do this two or three times until
    the capacity of the cells builds up and peak detect starts to work on the
    charger. You'll probably be fine from then on. Nimh's usually take 4-5
    charges to reach claimed cpacity , cheap makes may never get there :). If
    the cells can be charged a little slower the first few times it may help.
    Damn I said I wouldn't bore. A very complicated subject.

    Alan

    "Dominic Sexton" <{d-sep03}@dscs.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In article <[email protected]>, Dominic Sexton
    > <{d-sep03}@dscs.demon.co.uk> writes
    >>In article <[email protected]>, Daytona
    >><[email protected]> writes

    >>>I never even considered it when I bought my cheapy unbranded charger.
    >>>What's the worst that can happen ?

    >>Fire?
    >>
    >>The poor chargers can over-charge or charge too fast both of which will
    >>reduce the life of the cells in the long run.

    > I forgot to say that the poor fast chargers can literally cook the cells
    > by trying to stuff too much current into them. If they get very hot in
    > charging (almost too hot to touch) they will be damaged and their life, in
    > terms of both capacity and number of times they can be charged, will be
    > reduced.
    >

    > --
    >
    > Dominic Sexton

  13. Daytona

    Daytona Guest

    Thanks Alan & Dominic !

  14. Gordon Harris wrote:
    > I bought 3 packs of 4 NiMh (AA size) at AFDI today at £1.99 per pack.
    >
    > Only 1700 mAh, but seemed like a good buy....

    The "Top Craft" ones they were selling a few years ago were absolute
    trash...

  15. In message <[email protected]>,
    druidh <[email protected]> writes
    >I'm a bit of a Max-power snob now with the old NIMH's. It's
    >entertaining to see the rate at which the power ratings is increasing.
    >AAA's are now available at 1000mAh, and AA's at 2600 mAh. Anybody seen
    >any advance on these figures?

    You can find sellers on the web that claim to have higher ones like
    these 3000 mA hour ones in Brazil
    <http://www.mercadolivre.com.br/jm/item?site=MLB&id=29691687>

    or these 2800 mA hour on Swiss ebay
    <http://cgi.ebay.ch/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=84054&item=5982124261&rd=1>

    but the manufacturers' sites don't claim more than 2400 mA hour
    <http://www.panasonic-batteries.com/index.cfm?PageID=15422>

    and 2300 mA hour
    <http://www.tinko-battery.com/web/ni_mh_rechargeable/ni_mh_rechargeable.htm>

    respectively, so I doubt the claims would stand up to EU consumer
    protection rules.
    --
    Goalie of the Century

  16. Chris Loffredo <[email protected]> writes
    >Gordon Harris wrote:
    >> I bought 3 packs of 4 NiMh (AA size) at AFDI today at £1.99 per pack.
    >> Only 1700 mAh, but seemed like a good buy....

    >The "Top Craft" ones they were selling a few years ago were absolute
    >trash...

    I was prepared to risk £5.97 for a dozen. :)
    Two packs have charged ok, and look ok on the tester, but I'll have to
    put them in something I can leave running.

    I konw! My GPS!
    --
    Gordon Harris

  17. Gordon Harris wrote:
    > Chris Loffredo <[email protected]> writes
    >
    >> Gordon Harris wrote:
    >>
    >>> I bought 3 packs of 4 NiMh (AA size) at AFDI today at £1.99 per pack.
    >>> Only 1700 mAh, but seemed like a good buy....

    >> The "Top Craft" ones they were selling a few years ago were absolute
    >> trash...

    > I was prepared to risk £5.97 for a dozen. :)
    > Two packs have charged ok, and look ok on the tester, but I'll have to
    > put them in something I can leave running.
    >
    > I konw! My GPS!

    Good luck! Mine (NiMH rated 600mAh) were really useless. At such low
    capacity, I thought they'd at least be durable - nope...