Aldi

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Bill, Jul 19, 2003.

  1. Bill

    Bill Guest

    A double barreled footpump for car, motorbike, caravan, inflatable boat etc, a new cycle computer,
    a mini pump and a new top in yellow to match my road bike and a carrier bag all for 16 notes.
    Can't be bad.

    When they had their last cycle gear special a few months ago, one of our colonial cousins in a
    resplendent turban, filled a trolly with clothing. He just grabbed everything. When he got to the
    checkout they refused to serve him as it was obvious they were for resale. They only let him have
    two of everything, which he refused and stormed out of the store. He may have been embarrased by
    the applause.

    Bill

    Tags:

  2. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "Bill" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > A double barreled footpump for car, motorbike, caravan, inflatable boat
    etc,
    > a new cycle computer, a mini pump and a new top in yellow to match my road bike and a carrier bag
    > all for 16 notes. Can't be bad.

    Bugger!!, there I was wondering around Lidl this morning, surprised to find absolutely no cycling
    gear at all following the announcement on this NG a few weeks ago about the imminent bonanza to be
    had at Lidls....er Aldi...er roight, I'll get me bike....

    > When they had their last cycle gear special a few months ago, one of our colonial cousins in a
    > resplendent turban,

    <snip>

    Haven't heard that one for a while Bill......obviously slept through the clock ticking over into the
    21st century, eh ;-)....or as my parents are fond of saying....' Ar, 'e was a paki, nice bloke
    though...', to wit our response is usually something along the lines of...'Ar, nearly as good as us
    then ?....'

    Bill

    Dave.

  3. I got a yellow top + some shorts pour moi. Nathan was bought shorts & top. Vernon didn't want any
    stuff. Got one of the foot pumps & some of the yellow lensed specs too.

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~
    h$**$*$el$**e$n$**$d$**$o$*$t**$$s$**$im$mo$ns*@a$**o$l.c$$*o$*m*$ by getting rid of the
    overdependence on money and fame
    ~~~~~~~~~~

  4. Bill wrote in message ...
    > A double barreled footpump for car, motorbike, caravan, inflatable boat, a new cycle computer, a
    > mini pump and a new top in yellow to match my road bike and a carrier bag all for 16 notes.

    Wow - The doubled barrelled foot-pump was only £3-99. Looked well enough constructed to me, but
    already have a good track pump :-(

    Pete, Dorset. - www.Organford-TeaRooms.com

  5. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Dave wrote:

    > Haven't heard that one for a while Bill......obviously slept through the clock ticking over into
    > the 21st century, eh ;-)....or as my parents are fond of saying....' Ar, 'e was a paki, nice bloke
    > though...', to wit our response is usually something along the lines of...'Ar, nearly as good as
    > us then ?....'

    Did you catch the Archers episode of Usha's birthday party? Usha's auntie Satya had recruited
    numerous eligible chaps to pop by in her version of Speed Dating, one of who got chatting to Bert
    Fry while in the queue to say hello to Usha...

    "Well, 'ow long have you been over 'ere then?" "Well, the traffic in Brum was terrible, so I didn't
    get here until about 7..."

    Priceless!

    Pete.
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  6. Stratton

    Stratton Guest

    wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX wrote:
    > I got a yellow top + some shorts pour moi. Nathan was bought shorts & top. Vernon didn't want any
    > stuff. Got one of the foot pumps & some of the yellow lensed specs too.

    Do all Aldi stores stock these or is it just the bigger ones?

    stratton

  7. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I got a yellow top + some shorts pour moi. Nathan was bought shorts & top. Vernon didn't want any
    > stuff. Got one of the foot pumps & some of the
    yellow
    > lensed specs too.
    >
    > Cheers, helen s
    >

    > ~~~~~~~~~~
    > This is sent from a redundant email Mail sent to it is dumped My correct one can be gleaned from
    > h$**$*$el$**e$n$**$d$**$o$*$t**$$s$**$im$mo$ns*@a$**o$l.c$$*o$*m*$ by getting rid of the
    > overdependence on money and fame
    > ~~~~~~~~~~

    Watch out for the yellow lensed specs. I've got some with interchangeable, dark/yellow/clear. Dark
    is great on sunny days when out in the sun, yellow is good for cloudy days, actually appears to make
    everything lighter, clear good for dark or riding through forests. I use 'em when either on or
    off-roading. I made the mistake of using the yellows when off-roading, through forests on a really
    sunny day. Unfortunately, as I went from extreme brightness of fire roads etc into forest shade,
    everything goes silhouette-y <s?- made up word anyway>. Best to use clear if you're likely to be
    moving between bright / dark during ride. Cheers, Dave.

  8. Doobrie

    Doobrie Guest

    well, i nipped into our local aldi at 9am this morn (was quite busy with many there snapping up the
    bikes and various offers) and got for me:-

    2 * cycle tops 2 * cycle shorts 2 * pair cycle gloves 1 * wind beater type cycle jacket 1 * cycle
    computer ... er yes, this will now be my 2nd one in as many weeks (it was £3.99 - i couldnt resist
    and it does temperature too!)

    all for just over £40 and they seem reasonable items too

    now for the pour me into the shorts report ... ;)

    i can get into them, not a pretty sight but they are strechy enough - i could certainly wear them
    under my normal shorts - i'll probably start using them (under me usual shorts) after a further 20
    pound loss though

    the tops wont be in use at all for some time ... whilst i can get into them all im thinking probably
    50 pound loss before i bring them out again

    the wind beater type cycle jacket .... seems decent quality and not far off from fitting too so
    should be usable by time things cool down and wind picks up a little to need to use one

    so initially i'll only be using the cycle puter and the gloves which fitted perfectly but overall i
    have some nice incentive type cycle clobber to keep aiming for .... so the battle for fitness,
    health and weightloss is on ;)

  9. Stratton

    Stratton Guest

    wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX wrote:
    >> Do all Aldi stores stock these or is it just the bigger ones?
    >>
    >> stratton
    >
    > Should be all - as it's the weekly specials.
    >
    > Cheers, helen s

    Do you think there will be stock left tomorrow?

    stratton

  10. W K

    W K Guest

    "stratton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]p-2.news.uk.tiscali.com...
    > wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX wrote:
    > >> Do all Aldi stores stock these or is it just the bigger ones?
    > >>
    > >> stratton
    > >
    > > Should be all - as it's the weekly specials.
    > >
    > > Cheers, helen s
    > >

    > Do you think there will be stock left tomorrow?

    From experience, all the good stuff has gone by the evening. This may depend on how many cyclists
    there are in the area and how much people are used to this.

    OTOH I see relatively few cyclists in my town and the stuff cleared out quickly.

  11. Stratton

    Stratton Guest

    wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX wrote:
    >> Do you think there will be stock left tomorrow?
    >>
    >> stratton
    >
    > Shall I peer into my crystal ball??? ;-)

    Yes please - and while your there next weeks lottery numbers and accurate weather forecast
    please.;-))

    > Seriously - I haven't a clue. Certainly the one in King's Lynn was nowhere near as busy first
    > thing this morning as it was on last year's cycling special.

    Just wondered if they had loads of gear or just enough to satisfy the early birds. Thanks for your
    replys, I'll try Cambridge tomorrow.

    stratton

  12. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 16:46:26 +0100, "stratton" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Yes please - and while your there next weeks lottery numbers and accurate weather forecast
    >please.;-))

    My local newsagent and National Lottery - sorry, Lotto - ticket seller promised my that my ticket
    was full of winning numbers. Well, he was reasonably correct. Sadly, those few winning numbers were
    for the Thunderball and not for the regular "D'you really think you're going to win?" draw.

    Just my £2.00

    Foiled again. James

    PS I forecast some weather.

  13. Taywood

    Taywood Guest

    "stratton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX wrote:
    > >> Do all Aldi stores stock these or is it just the bigger ones? stratton
    > >
    > > Should be all - as it's the weekly specials. Cheers, helen s
    > >
    > Do you think there will be stock left tomorrow? stratton

    I bought my gear at Fleetwood today and that place really is at the edge of the known universe.

    I later wore the white shirt and black and white shorts for a ride in Grizedale Forest - forgetting
    yesterdays rain. Three minutes into the forest the singletrack dropped into a gulley which was just
    a churned up mud bath. I regretted having taken off the crud catcher and rear guard when the warm
    weather came. But all the caked on, dried on mud, has washed off and the items are on the line
    drying. They look like new!

    They seem to have had various styles of glasses. I bought a clear glass with yellow tint, great help
    in the darkened forest, and there was a yellow glass with almost a mirror look.

    A good shopping day, thanks to the OP. Mike

  14. Martin

    Martin Guest

    "W K" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "stratton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...

    > > > Should be all - as it's the weekly specials.
    > > >
    > > > Cheers, helen s
    > > >

    > > Do you think there will be stock left tomorrow?
    >
    > From experience, all the good stuff has gone by the evening. This may depend on how many cyclists
    > there are in the area and how much people are used to this.

    I tried the Old Kent Road. in at 10.30am; got a nice bagful. Now let's see how the jacket stands up
    to a 400 over the Severn Bridge tomorrow!

  15. Stratton

    Stratton Guest

    Taywood wrote:
    > "stratton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >>>
    >>> Should be all - as it's the weekly specials. Cheers, helen s
    >>>
    >> Do you think there will be stock left tomorrow? stratton
    >
    > I bought my gear at Fleetwood today and that place really is at the edge of the known universe.
    >
    > I later wore the white shirt and black and white shorts for a ride in Grizedale Forest -
    > forgetting yesterdays rain. Three minutes into the forest the singletrack dropped into a gulley
    > which was just a churned up mud bath. I regretted having taken off the crud catcher and rear guard
    > when the warm weather came. But all the caked on, dried on mud, has washed off and the items are
    > on the line drying. They look like new!
    >
    > They seem to have had various styles of glasses. I bought a clear glass with yellow tint, great
    > help in the darkened forest, and there was a yellow glass with almost a mirror look.
    >
    > A good shopping day, thanks to the OP. Mike

    Thats great - I am feeling happy with the £60 we spent on bits and bobs. Tried out shirt and
    computer on short ride tonight, all seems well. Just need new legs and back now, plenty of stomach
    to trade in.

    stratton

  16. Stratton

    Stratton Guest

    >martin wrote:
    >
    > I tried the Old Kent Road. in at 10.30am; got a nice bagful. Now let's see how the jacket stands
    > up to a 400 over the Severn Bridge tomorrow!

    Be interested in knowing, I picked up jackets 'n' stuff, ssems reasonable particularly considering
    the price.

    stratton

  17. Martin

    Martin Guest

    "stratton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > >martin wrote:
    > >
    > > I tried the Old Kent Road. in at 10.30am; got a nice bagful. Now let's see how the jacket stands
    > > up to a 400 over the Severn Bridge tomorrow!
    >
    > Be interested in knowing, I picked up jackets 'n' stuff, ssems reasonable particularly considering
    > the price.

    Not only is it a good jacket, it is magic: did not rain in Wales! also good as a night stage
    overjacket, breathes well and not too heavy.

  18. Alex Veitch

    Alex Veitch Guest

    On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 22:55:19 +0100, doobrie <[email protected]> wrote:

    >1 * cycle computer ... er yes, this will now be my 2nd one in as many weeks (it was £3.99 - i
    >couldnt resist and it does temperature too!)

    Curses - that's where they all went! ;-) I popped into both Sheffield shops for a cycle computer -
    none left, although I did get a footpump.
    --
    Reply to my first name at my surname dot org dot uk

  19. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "Alex Veitch" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 22:55:19 +0100, doobrie <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    > >1 * cycle computer ... er yes, this will now be my 2nd one in as many weeks (it was £3.99 - i
    > >couldnt resist and it does temperature too!)
    >
    > Curses - that's where they all went! ;-) I popped into both Sheffield shops for a cycle computer -
    > none left, although I did get a footpump.
    > --
    The footpump I bought seems to be leaking!!...As y'all say though, very nice jacket. Fingerless
    gloves'll probably suffice and MY FIRST EVA (tm) Lycra cycling shorts should raise a few smiles
    as the only ones they'd got left were XL and it would appear I'm no more than an 'L' or possibly
    even an 'M', so I've got a pair of flared lycra cycling shorts. Haven't tried them out yet
    though..... Dave.