Alerting walkers

Gyp

Guest
Hi, this came up in an recent thread but I thought it would be fun to start a new thread with.

Basicly when cycling what tactics do you find work for alerting walkers/runners etc. that your
approaching and want to get past.

My current tactic that appears to work is to slow down and then repeat either/or "Excuse me" and
"Cycle coming through on your left/right".

Gyp

How about a handheld airhorn-guaranteed to get their attention. "Gyp" <[email protected]>

Gyp <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hi, this came up in an recent thread but I thought it would be fun to start a new thread with.
>
> Basicly when cycling what tactics do you find work for alerting walkers/runners etc. that your
> approaching and want to get past.
>
> My current tactic that appears to work is to slow down and then repeat either/or "Excuse me" and
> "Cycle coming through on your left/right".
>
> Gyp

I just pull a really mean 'handbrake' style 90 degree and shower their legs with rocks and dirt,
then ride through the resulting tumult, merrily saying 'thankyou', 'lovely day!' and 'the hospital
is just that way old dear' or someshuchshit. Found out even the near terminally aged can move fast
when sufficiently motivated.

HTH,

Shaun aRe

Rich wrote:
> How about a handheld airhorn-guaranteed to get their attention.

Oh dear, yes I did try this a couple of years back with one of those hand help jobbies. Trouble was
if the walkers looked quite old I was scared to use it incase they had heart attacks.

Was the dogs bollox when it came to alerting motorists that I existed.

Not much cop on the trails as it wasn't easily excessale from the handlebars. I had it mounted on
the cross bar..

----------
In article <[email protected]>, Gyp <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi, this came up in an recent thread but I thought it would be fun to start a new thread with.
>
> Basicly when cycling what tactics do you find work for alerting walkers/runners etc. that your
> approaching and want to get past.
>
> My current tactic that appears to work is to slow down and then repeat either/or "Excuse me" and
> "Cycle coming through on your left/right".
>
> Gyp

I use a bell. It seems to be less threatening or surprising than an unexpected male voice
from behind.

Paul

Shaun Rimmer wrote:
> I just pull a really mean 'handbrake' style 90 degree and shower their legs with rocks and dirt,
> then ride through the resulting tumult, merrily saying 'thankyou', 'lovely day!' and 'the hospital
> is just that way old dear' or someshuchshit. Found out even the near terminally aged can move fast
> when sufficiently motivated.

Good one, second only to aiming directly at dogs whilst shouting "Die!", "Banzi" etc.. Amazing how
quickly most of the buggers get out of the way..<Chuckle>

Gyp

Gyp <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Shaun Rimmer wrote:
> > I just pull a really mean 'handbrake' style 90 degree and shower their
legs
> > with rocks and dirt, then ride through the resulting tumult, merrily
saying
> > 'thankyou', 'lovely day!' and 'the hospital is just that way old dear'
or
> > someshuchshit. Found out even the near terminally aged can move fast
when
> > sufficiently motivated.
>
> Good one, second only to

'Second only to'?!?!?!? WTF?!?!?!? - That, you gert stupit lump, is second to
nuffink!......******.........

> aiming directly at dogs whilst shouting "Die!", "Banzi" etc.. Amazing how quickly most of the
> buggers get out of the way..<Chuckle>
>
> Gyp

I like to look at 'em all freindly like, then give 'em a mouth full of fast moving boot. Love the
crunch their teeth make.........way kewl......

Shaun aRe

Gyp wrote:
> Hi, this came up in an recent thread but I thought it would be fun to start a new thread with.
>
> Basicly when cycling what tactics do you find work for alerting walkers/runners etc. that your
> approaching and want to get past.
>
> My current tactic that appears to work is to slow down and then repeat either/or "Excuse me" and
> "Cycle coming through on your left/right".
>
> Gyp

A bell (incredabell). Followed by "on your left" (usually) and "thanks!" when they move.

Some people just ignore you -- I've managed to keep from running them over so far :) I still say
"thanks" just to annoy them.

david

David Kunz <[email protected]> wrote in news:2Y0Da.32116$Io.2733246
@newsread2.prod.itd.earthlink.net:

> Gyp wrote:
>> Hi, this came up in an recent thread but I thought it would be fun to start a new thread with.
>>
>> Basicly when cycling what tactics do you find work for alerting walkers/runners etc. that your
>> approaching and want to get past.
>>
>> My current tactic that appears to work is to slow down and then repeat either/or "Excuse me" and
>> "Cycle coming through on your left/right".
>>
>> Gyp
>
> A bell (incredabell). Followed by "on your left" (usually) and "thanks!" when they move.

I want an electonic one that plays "La Cucaracha" (sp ?) :)

Trevor S

In news:[email protected], Gyp <[email protected]> typed:
> Shaun Rimmer wrote:
>> I just pull a really mean 'handbrake' style 90 degree and shower their legs with rocks and dirt,
>> then ride through the resulting tumult, merrily saying 'thankyou', 'lovely day!' and 'the
>> hospital is just that way old dear' or someshuchshit. Found out even the near terminally aged can
>> move fast when sufficiently motivated.
>
> Good one, second only to aiming directly at dogs whilst shouting "Die!", "Banzi" etc.. Amazing how
> quickly most of the buggers get out of the way..<Chuckle>

<irony> Works in the car too. Aim directly at cyclists with your horn blaring, engine revving etc.
Amazing how quickly most of the buggers get out of the way </irony>

Tony

--
http://www.raven-family.com

Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> In news:[email protected], Gyp <[email protected]> typed:
> > Shaun Rimmer wrote:
> >> I just pull a really mean 'handbrake' style 90 degree and shower their legs with rocks and
> >> dirt, then ride through the resulting tumult, merrily saying 'thankyou', 'lovely day!' and 'the
> >> hospital is just that way old dear' or someshuchshit. Found out even the near terminally aged
> >> can move fast when sufficiently motivated.
> >
> > Good one, second only to aiming directly at dogs whilst shouting "Die!", "Banzi" etc.. Amazing
> > how quickly most of the buggers get out of the way..<Chuckle>
> >

> <irony> Works in the car too. Aim directly at cyclists with your horn blaring, engine revving etc.
> Amazing how quickly most of the buggers get out of
the
> way </irony>
>
> Tony

******.

Shaun aRe - Harrumph!

Gyp <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
> Hi, this came up in an recent thread but I thought it would be fun to start a new thread with.
>
> Basicly when cycling what tactics do you find work for alerting walkers/runners etc. that your
> approaching and want to get past.
>
> My current tactic that appears to work is to slow down and then repeat either/or "Excuse me" and
> "Cycle coming through on your left/right".
>
> Gyp

When on trails that i know will have foot traffic, i just hang my car keys on the bak so they make
lots of noise. that way they hear me before i get there (same idea as a bear bell). upon getting
there attention, i call out "passing on your left/right" and slowly proceed.

I tend to tuck them inside my bak on trails where i rarely see anybody at all as it is rather
annoying to hear constantly.
--
~Travis

Gyp thoughtfully penned:
> Hi, this came up in an recent thread but I thought it would be fun to start a new thread with.
>
> Basicly when cycling what tactics do you find work for alerting walkers/runners etc. that your
> approaching and want to get past.
>
> My current tactic that appears to work is to slow down and then repeat either/or "Excuse me" and
> "Cycle coming through on your left/right".
>
> Gyp

The problem with saying "on your left" etc is that only the brightest ones actually move to
the right.

I've had relative success with "rider!!"" or "rider up!!".

Penny

In news:[email protected], Shaun Rimmer <[email protected]> typed:

> ******.

Why thank you sir. But seriously, we don't like it when motorists do it to us so why do you think it
acceptable for us to do it to pedestrians or their dogs?

Tony

--
http://www.raven-family.com

Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> In news:[email protected], Shaun Rimmer <[email protected]> typed:
> >
> > ******.
> >

> Why thank you sir.

You are more than welcome old fruit!

> But seriously,

That _may_ just be the problem ',;~}~

> we don't like it when motorists do it to us so why do you think it acceptable for us to do it to
> pedestrians or their dogs?

I most certainly do not - It was written in utter flippant sarcasm, and was received in the same
manner by the OP. I only ever actually behave aggressively on the trail towards small babies in
pushchairs, but everyone knows they're just asking for it.

HTH!

Shaun aRe

Tony Raven wrote:

> Why thank you sir. But seriously, we don't like it when motorists do it to us so why do you think
> it acceptable for us to do it to pedestrians or their dogs?

Buck Ijit..

<Chuckle>

Gyp

P.S. Of course we don't harass walkers and dogs (that would make a terrible mess)!! <Chuckle

Shaun Rimmer wrote:
>>But seriously,
>

> That _may_ just be the problem ',;~}~

I think that's been proved in the past!

> I most certainly do not - It was written in utter flippant sarcasm, and was received in the same
> manner by the OP. I only ever actually behave aggressively on the trail towards small babies in
> pushchairs, but everyone knows they're just asking for it.

Daft bugger..

Gyp