Alerting walkers

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Gyp, Jun 3, 2003.

  1. x

    x Guest

    RE/
    >Basicly when cycling what tactics do you find work for alerting walkers/runners etc. that your
    >approaching and want to get past.

    I've got one of those little single-ding bells on all 3 of my bikes.

    I avoided getting any sort of noisemaker on the assumption that people would be offended by
    same....taking the sound to mean "get out of the way, I'm coming through..".

    I finally bought the first one after scaring an elderly couple half to death in French Creek State
    park...thought for sure that *anybody* could hear me coming up on them - going slow, cracking twigs,
    crunching gravel.... but that wasn't the case.

    Maybe it's the way it's used, but I find a fair percentage of people actually say "thank you".

    My technique is to give one ding - long or short, loud or soft depending on the situation - as far
    back as I can and then check for some reaction on the part of the person ahead. I still slow down
    and/or give them a wide berth - but the effect of the bell seems to be to avoid the startling effect
    of 200+ pounds of meat passing by unexpectedly. The idea is for the ding not to be so close that
    they think they have to jump out of the way.....Sort of a "yoooo-hoooo" we're back
    here.....*waaaaay* back here, but coming your way."

    Seems to me like the critical factor is that it's used to save people from being startled and/or
    prevent them from wandering into a path that I've already chosen to go around them with plenty of
    room to spare - as opposed to clearing them out of the way.

    It helps with dogs too - if Rover's on one of those retractable leashes, they have time to reel him
    in before we get all mixed up.

    It's also fun to play with on long straightaways....
    -----------------------
    PeteCresswell

  2. x

    x Guest

    RE/
    >I use a bell. It seems to be less threatening or surprising than an unexpected male voice
    >from behind.

    Also (surprisingly to Yours Truly) it's much better understood.

    The gloss wore off of "On your left" after the first few replies like "So's yer mamma!" "Da fock you
    say man???!".....although I think most peoples reaction was more like "Huh?" or "Whaaa?"
    -----------------------
    PeteCresswell

  3. Dave Stocker

    Dave Stocker Guest

    "Gyp" <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:[email protected]...

    > Basicly when cycling what tactics do you find work for alerting walkers/runners etc. that your
    > approaching and want to get past.

    I use a small bell. It looks a bit stupid, but so what. It is very handy as I approach blind turns.

    -Dave

  4. Gyp

    Gyp Guest

    Penny S. wrote:
    > The problem with saying "on your left" etc is that only the brightest ones actually move to
    > the right.
    >
    > I've had relative success with "rider!!"" or "rider up!!".
    >
    > Penny

    <chuckle>True, in fact the standard response from walkers when you talk to them is to turn around to
    look where it came from.

    I now have the mental image of shouting "Rider up" and watching the group of walkers in front of me
    look to the skies.. <LOL

  5. Gyp

    Gyp Guest

    JD wrote:
    > Gyp <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    >>Hi, this came up in an recent thread but I thought it would be fun to start a new thread with.
    >

    > Define "fun".

    Fun, n. [Perh. of Celtic origin; cf. Ir. & Gael. fonn pleasure.] Sport; merriment; frolicsome
    amusement. ``Oddity, frolic, and fun.'' --Goldsmith.

    Bleeding Celts..

    >>Basicly when cycling what tactics do you find work for alerting walkers/runners etc. that your
    >>approaching and want to get past.
    >

    > Flatulence works well. If they are deaf, then their olfactory senses will alert them.

    Good one, but only if they are downwind of you.. Also this doesn't seem far to any cyclists along or
    behind yourself.<Chuckle> Still at least we know why people say you "Ride like the wind". <Chuckle>

    >>My current tactic that appears to work is to slow down and then repeat either/or "Excuse me" and
    >>"Cycle coming through on your left/right".
    >

    > blah blah blah blah

    So you plan is to bore them to death?

    I'll give it a go but I suspect walkers asleep on the path might be inconsiderate to other
    users...<Snigger>

    Tell you what go take a bath cos quite frankly I can smell you from here.....

    Gyp

  6. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Penny S. wrote:

    >>Hi, this came up in an recent thread but I thought it would be fun to start a new thread with.
    >>
    >>Basicly when cycling what tactics do you find work for alerting walkers/runners etc. that your
    >>approaching and want to get past.
    >>
    >>My current tactic that appears to work is to slow down and then repeat either/or "Excuse me" and
    >>"Cycle coming through on your left/right".
    >>

    > The problem with saying "on your left" etc is that only the brightest ones actually move to
    > the right.
    >
    > I've had relative success with "rider!!"" or "rider up!!"

    The problem that I have is that I can't say anything in English.

    Need to invest in a bell...

  7. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > In news:[email protected],
    > >
    > > I only ever actually behave aggressively on the trail towards small babies in pushchairs, but
    > > everyone knows they're just asking for it.
    > >

    > Seems everyone enjoys riding over babyheads but that's what suspension's
    for
    > ;-)
    >
    > Tony

    Heheheh - yeah, takes the sting out, for the soft rider at least, eh?

    Shaun aRe - a hard tail on a hard tail, heheheheh.........?!?!?

  8. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    > The problem that I have is that I can't say anything in English.
    >
    > Need to invest in a bell...

    Sorry - didn't understand a word of that. Try saying it again in English.

    Shaun aRe - Hiya Jon ',;~}~

  9. Jd

    Jd Guest

    Gyp <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > JD wrote:
    > > Gyp <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > >
    > >>Hi, this came up in an recent thread but I thought it would be fun to start a new thread with.
    > >

    > > Define "fun".
    >
    > Fun, n. [Perh. of Celtic origin; cf. Ir. & Gael. fonn pleasure.] Sport; merriment; frolicsome
    > amusement. ``Oddity, frolic, and fun.'' --Goldsmith.
    >
    > Bleeding Celts..

    At least they don't have that cheater parquet floor with all of the dead spots at the Garden to help
    them beat the Lakers anymore.

    > >>Basicly when cycling what tactics do you find work for alerting walkers/runners etc. that your
    > >>approaching and want to get past.
    > >

    > > Flatulence works well. If they are deaf, then their olfactory senses will alert them.
    >
    > Good one, but only if they are downwind of you.. Also this doesn't seem far to any cyclists along
    > or behind yourself.<Chuckle> Still at least we know why people say you "Ride like the wind".
    > <Chuckle>
    > >

    > >>My current tactic that appears to work is to slow down and then repeat either/or "Excuse me" and
    > >>"Cycle coming through on your left/right".
    > >

    > > blah blah blah blah
    >
    > So you plan is to bore them to death?

    You already have. That "on your left" shit is tired lameo wannabe racer bullshit.

    > I'll give it a go but I suspect walkers asleep on the path might be inconsiderate to other
    > users...<Snigger>
    >
    > Tell you what go take a bath cos quite frankly I can smell you from here.....

    That would be your own halitosis, I'm sure.

    JD

  10. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    JD thoughtfully penned:

    > That "on your left" shit is tired lameo wannabe racer bullshit.

    never fails that you say something to try and make me cry.

    Next thing I know you'll be telling me that Kona sucks, too...

    Penny

  11. Gyp

    Gyp Guest

    JD wrote:
    >>Fun, n. [Perh. of Celtic origin; cf. Ir. & Gael. fonn pleasure.] Sport; merriment; frolicsome
    >>amusement. ``Oddity, frolic, and fun.'' --Goldsmith.
    >>
    >>Bleeding Celts..
    >

    > At least they don't have that cheater parquet floor with all of the dead spots at the Garden to
    > help them beat the Lakers anymore.

    At least I know not only the defintion of the word "fun" but also its origin. Whereas you appear to
    think that the celtic civilization is connected to some kind of stateside games complex.

    >>So you plan is to bore them to death?
    >

    > You already have. That "on your left" shit is tired lameo wannabe racer bullshit.

    Sounds a lot of sensible that saying "blah blah blah" to them, my god man do you accualy have a
    brain that works.. Or are the three brain cells that make up your brain what to do again..

    Gyp

    <Chuckle

  12. Penny S. wrote:

    > Next thing I know you'll be telling me that Kona sucks, too...

    That was _last_ weeks' thread.

  13. Dave Stocker

    Dave Stocker Guest

    "The Ogre" <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    news:[email protected]...
    > Of course if they are wearing headphones you just pop a wheelie to knock them over and try not to
    > catch your chain ring on any loose clothing :)

    If they are wearing headphones, they are not "hikers" anymore. They are.... ??????? Aw, hell, just
    hop uver them.

    -Dave

  14. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    "Rich" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
    > How about a handheld airhorn-guaranteed to get their attention. "Gyp" <[email protected]>
    > wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Hi, this came up in an recent thread but I thought it would be fun to start a new thread with.
    > >
    > > Basicly when cycling what tactics do you find work for alerting walkers/runners etc. that your
    > > approaching and want to get past.
    > >
    > > My current tactic that appears to work is to slow down and then repeat either/or "Excuse me" and
    > > "Cycle coming through on your left/right".
    > >
    > > Gyp

    I have had some success tying a whipsnake to the fork so that is makes a sort of "tink-tink-tink"
    noise as its head bounces off the spokes.

  15. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    > Gyp <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > JD wrote:
    > > > Gyp <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > > > Define "fun".
    > >
    > > Fun, n. [Perh. of Celtic origin; cf. Ir. & Gael. fonn pleasure.] Sport; merriment; frolicsome
    > > amusement. ``Oddity, frolic, and
    fun.'' --Goldsmith.

    > > Bleeding Celts..
    >
    > At least they don't have that cheater parquet floor with all of the dead spots at the Garden to
    > help them beat the Lakers anymore.

    > > > Flatulence works well. If they are deaf, then their olfactory senses will alert them.
    > >
    > > Good one, but only if they are downwind of you.. Also this doesn't seem far to any cyclists
    > > along or behind yourself.<Chuckle> Still at least we know why people say you "Ride like the
    > > wind". <Chuckle>

    > > > blah blah blah blah
    > >
    > > So you plan is to bore them to death?
    >
    > You already have. That "on your left" shit is tired lameo wannabe racer bullshit.

    single speed." Just pretentious twaddle.

  16. Gyp

    Gyp Guest

    Critic wrote:

    > I have had some success tying a whipsnake to the fork so that is makes a sort of "tink-tink-tink"
    > noise as its head bounces off the spokes.

    Good one, do you think it would work the same if I tied a squirrel to the front fork?. We don't have
    many snakes left in the UK (Since its normal for familes to go out and bash them with sticks at the
    weekend) so they are in short supply.

    Gyp

  17. Shawn Curry

    Shawn Curry Guest

    In <[email protected]> Twohat wrote:

    > "ClydesdaleMTB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> This'll also work:
    >>
    >> http://www.safetycentral.com/ecoblasrecai.html
    >>
    > Unless they are profoundly deaf, most people can hear my creaking bottom bracket, my rustling
    > chain, my howling disc brake, my crunching gearchanges, and my (very) heavy breathing. If they
    > happen to carry a seismometer then they are probably alerted by my pounding heart. If all that
    > fails, then they can't possibly fail to be warned by the smell of good honest sweat (BTW what
    > other sort is there?).

    The kind some get before the BMW's AC has kicked in.

    If they
    > are still on the path then they have probably realised that I am in too feeble a state to pedal
    > past them anyway . . .
    >
    > Twohat (because two heads are better than one)

    Just sing this http://www.whyaduck.com/info/movies/scenes/lydia.htm at the top of your lungs. Rent
    "The Philadelphia Story" for the tune.

    Cheers, Shawn

  18. Bb

    Bb Guest

    > "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > All the advise giver here sounds about right ('cept maybe Carla's trials insanity).
    >
    > I am not insane...just spreading the word... :)
    >
    > > My question is, are we in the same G-Spot? Home of Wasted State?
    >
    > I think he's referring to the bike that he rides...Cove G-Spot.
    >
    > - CA-G
    >
    > Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

    Oh yeah, it's me who a little off my rocker.

    I didn't realize that was a bike as well. Women's specific? Does it have a special seat?

    Matt

  19. Jd

    Jd Guest

    > > You already have. That "on your left" shit is tired lameo wannabe racer bullshit.
    > >

    > single speed." Just pretentious twaddle.

    Coming from a nameless and faceless e-tard, I'll take that as a compliment. You'll never really know
    though, will you?

    JD