All Blacks on Grand Slam Tour

limerickman said:
It was a master class in rugby - 20th century rugby against 21st century rugby.

I have to say that while NZ were good, Ireland played well within themselves. A few of them did play to their potential, which is why I singled out Murphy for his coolness and the #8. The Irish #8 was pretty much operating alone when it came to attack, he had **** all backup yet he made ground and I yet don't think that he ever gave away the ball. Worth watching for the future, hopefully he'll have a pack that wants to take on the opposition around him next time.

limerickman said:
McCaw, Woodcock, Williams, NZ No 6, McDonald, Howlett : all superb.

Howlett's tries reminded me of Rory Underwood, run ins (albeit very skillfull ones). The NZ. 13 was good, but I would rate the #12 above him.

limerickman said:
England beat Australia : didn't see the game but a good result for Robinson and a bad one for Eddie Jones.

Apparently the front row "splintered" the Wobblies. Doesn't surprise me, Vickery and Sheridan have more in common with angry Rhinos than human beings. I was very pleased that they were selected, I nearly felt sorry for the Aussie front row. :)

The weak spot for England will be the back row, although I think Moody is capable of being very disruptive, he will have his work cut out against the likes of Weepu, Aaron Williams and Nonu. His sin-binning is somewhat worrying. :(

limerickman said:
But I take my hat off to McCaw, superb.

I have to say that the ABs fielded a really beautifully balanced team today. Their back row were nothing too fancy, just good heads up play, power, techinique and 110% graft all the way.

The Fly-Half was very solid too. Never a wobble which is fantastic to see. O'Gara seems to becoming a liability as far as his temper goes, it's not the first time he's dished some afters. It's a pity that O Sullivan didn't give Humphries the whole 2nd half to play with, he seems to settle the Irish and get them moving forward.

Watching the replay of England vs Australia... England were pretty dour, very reminiscent of the late 80s vs France matches. However, they did get the basics right in the main, the battering the forwards dished out was painfull to watch.

Direct, if unimaginative, running was nice to see, something that was missing last yet. I can't say that I am sorry to see England returning to battering teams into submission, it's probably their best hope against the ABs. Sheridan and Vickery were --ing awesome quite frankly.

Sheridan had an awesome day carrying, and Corry put in some good hard yards too. The nice thing was that England were getting getting the ball away from contact, although I think it was a bit slow at times. I am not convinced that the ABs will let them get the ball away as easily.

I caught the England V Australia match highlights and I agree the game itself was very dour.
The Aussies scrum looked to be in trouble early on in the game.
It's evident from watching the Super 12 that Australian teams have chosen to place less emphasis on the scrum in recent years and this is now starting to tell against countries with big packs like England.

Sheridan caused a lot of damage, granted.
It will be interesting to see how England fare against Hayman and Woodcock.
The All Blacks are physically very very tough.

I thought England played well : Cueto is a very impressive player, I think.
Corry played well although the Guardian didn't give him a good review.
From what I saw he played well.

limerickman said:
I caught the England V Australia match highlights and I agree the game itself was very dour.
The Aussies scrum looked to be in trouble early on in the game.
It's evident from watching the Super 12 that Australian teams have chosen to place less emphasis on the scrum in recent years and this is now starting to tell against countries with big packs like England.

Sheridan caused a lot of damage, granted.
It will be interesting to see how England fare against Hayman and Woodcock.
The All Blacks are physically very very tough.

I thought England played well : Cueto is a very impressive player, I think.
Corry played well although the Guardian didn't give him a good review.
From what I saw he played well.
It will be interesting to see how the AB's front row goes when they come up against the English front row, I'm more than a little worried considering what England did to the Australians.

Now John Mitchell the former AB's coach and now the Western Force Super 14 coach based in Perth has offered his services to help fix the Australian scrum problems....no wonder the AB's were appalling lyt badly at the WRC 2003 with him as coach he's an Australian at heart.