All Carbon Track Bike

Colnago62

Nov 24, 2011
I was checking out a track bike, all carbon. It seems to me that crashes on the track tend to be inevitable; really the same with road riding. Do guys have to replace their bars and/frame after a spill? Not too many guys at the local velodrome with carbon frames, I wonder if replacement fears might be one reason. I know another might be not wanting to pay $4,500.00 for another bike ;-)

Well, there's no 'ride quality' issues with a track frame. Just the stiffness and handling desired. With minimum weight differences in materials, aero is the big comparison feature. A cheapo, throw away hydraformed aluminum frame is a good option.

Look at all the Cat. 5 squids with a bit of money. They ride Pinarellos and Colnagos and what not in the weekend warrior class demo derbies. Adding insult to injury is checking out their SRM, Barfly mounted smart phone and the latest $800 will buy a fella in poly fabrics with exotic sounding trade names.

Seeing all of that loaded, broken piece by broken piece, into the dude's BMW always leaves me scratching my head. Why the hell didn't the guy race a aluminum Spesh or Trek or at least some Chicom bargain basement carbon with cheapo Ksyrium Elites or such?

Crashes at the track, while less frequent, seem to be more spectacular when they do happen. A nice aluminum or steel frame can take a licking and keep on ticking. The nature of spills at the velodrome make it hard on wheelsets. I would cry if I toasted a pair Zipps in a Thursday nighter.

I've seen pedals gut wheels and steel, aluminum and carbon turned into lamp stands in the blink of an eye. Track falls are usually at pretty high speeds...or uber low speeds like the time Lee (or was his brother, Les?) Barczewski fell right off the banking on that ultra-short/steep portable track back in the late 1970's/early 1980's. (Note to self: NEVER reach down to tighten toe strap when banking exceeds 45°)

I have to agree, I would not use high-end gear for training races.

I often tell folks about the Cleveland criterium race in which my buddy demolished his race rig. Totaled it.

Grabbing a free lap, he begged a bike from anyone in the crowd. A spectator handed his bike over the barricades.

Yup. He ended up demolishing that one, too. I still remember the look on the owner's face as he was handed what was left of his bike...

Train on the cheap, durable and easily replaced stuff when possible.

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB
Look at all the Cat. 5 squids with a bit of money. They ride Pinarellos and Colnagos and what not in the weekend warrior class demo derbies. Adding insult to injury is checking out their SRM, Barfly mounted smart phone and the latest $800 will buy a fella in poly fabrics with exotic sounding trade names.

Seeing all of that loaded, broken piece by broken piece, into the dude's BMW always leaves me scratching my head. Why the hell didn't the guy race a aluminum Spesh or Trek or at least some Chicom bargain basement carbon with cheapo Ksyrium Elites or such?
Haven't laughed that hard in awhile, but this a perfect description of most crit races around here.

On my way home today I saw a Cervelo track bike with a Zipp disc in the rear and maybe a 404 on the front wheel mount on the top of a car today headed for the velodrome. That is what money looks like.

At a certain point the equipment helps a bit but just getting started you should roll an aluminum with a carbon fork. The one thing I will say about buying the best when you can is that you don't buy two or three different bikes before you realize you should have purchased the best. But some don't always have that option.