All highly civilised

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Wafflycathcsdir, Apr 13, 2003.

  1. All highly civilised.

    Glorious sunny weather in deepest rural Norfolk this April day; Spring is sprung, the lambs gambol
    in the fields and the neighbour's chickens call round for their daily feast from "She Who Is a
    Sucker When It Comes To Animals" namely, me.

    I decided the day was far too good to waste on stuff like *housework* and got ready to go out on my
    bike. Having a dodgy knee at the moment, I knew I would have to be sensible and stick to cycling
    slowly in low gears so I wouldn't strain my knee at all. Vernon decided to join me on my cycle ride,
    so we set off in a general easterly direction.

    Today is the first real short-sleeved top day, so I smothered my few bare bits in factor 45, insect
    repellent and swallowed an antihistamine tablet. I applied liberal quantities of ibuprofen gel to
    the aching knees. For some reason insect life look at me out of their compound eyes and are
    immediately taken as to just how juicy and tasty I am from an insect point of view - hence the vast
    quantities of "Jungle Formula" for the wilds of Norfolk. I was probably way over the UCI threshold
    for various supposedly performance enhancing compounds, but I doubt Lance Armstrong has to worry
    about this Fatbirdonabike overtaking him on Alpe d'Huez.

    We cycled around the lanes to Castle Acre aided by a fine tailwind. Once at Castle Acre we sat
    outside a Ye Olde Worlde Tea Shoppe type place, of which there are several in the village. The owner
    brought out fresh coffee and a plate of assorted cakes. All highly civilised! After consuming a
    sweet-mince tart & half an iced-sponge bun and an Eccles cake between us (Vernon had the Eccles cake
    - I loathe them) and a couple of cups of freshly made coffee each, we set off for the journey back
    home across the lanes. The tailwind had turned into a headwind and one where, on the exposed lanes,
    it was so strong, we couldn't freewheel downhill, but had to pedal quite hard to keep going
    forwards. If didn't pedal the wind was strong enough to stop us from having any forward momentum,
    even on a downhill. The journey home took twice as long as the journey to Castle Acre due to the
    combined effect of headwind and more uphill sections on the return leg. I just stayed in a low gear
    and pedalled along slowly. Even though the headwind was quite strong, it was warm due to the
    glorious sunshine and almost cloudless blue sky.

    On getting home, I've fed the neighbour's chickens again, as they now come to the back door begging
    to be fed; I've made a fuss of a certain one-eyed black-furred lady cat who has spent the day
    soaking up the sun by lying in the patch of warm sun flooding in through the dining room patio
    doors; I've put the roast in the oven (not the neighbour's chickens), prepared the veggies and in
    about an hour we'll be having a late Sunday roast dinner.

    All highly civilised I think.

    Cheers, helen s

    Sunday, 13 April 2003

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    Tags:

  2. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    currants currants currants currants currants currants currants currants currants currants currants
    currants currants currants currants currants currants currants currants currants currants currants
    currants currants currants currants currants currants currants currants currants currants currants
    currants currants currants currants currants currants currants currants currants currants currants
    currants currants currants currants currants currants currants currants currants currants currants
    currants currants currants currants currants currants currants currants currants currants currants
    currants currants currants currants currants currants currants currants currants currants currants
    currants currants currants currants currants currants currants currants currants currants currants
    currants currants currants currants currants currants currants currants currants currants currants

  3. > currants

    With lots snipped...

    Watch out Pete - there's paving slabs about ;-)

    Cheers, PSF

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  4. Mike

    Mike Guest

    wow humour I think ? is this a first for this poster

  5. Sky Fly

    Sky Fly Guest

    <snippage>

    Are you sure you were going east if you faced a headwind on your return [in a westerly direction]? I
    know I had a stiff headwind heading out east on my ride today... and I don't think Norfolk is that
    far from South London for wind directions to vary.

    And the bit about feeding the chickens... this is one of the things I miss about Lagos, where
    chickens and goats roam about unrestricted and where (if you have nothing better to do with your
    time) you can pass many pleasant hours observing their antics.

    --
    Akin

    aknak at aksoto dot idps dot co dot uk

  6. >Are you sure you were going east if you faced a headwind on your return [in a westerly direction]?

    You are correct - we headed west & came back in an easterly direction. Obviously that was my
    deliberate error to check the attention of readers ;-)

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  7. Richard

    Richard Guest

    In this months EDP Norfolk magazine, there is a picture of a street in Castle Acre. I have to say
    that it looks something like that hill in the Hovis adverts, surely this cannot be Norfolk. As you
    have recently visited Castle Acre can you confirm the existence of this hill. Being from the far
    east I very rarely venture further west than Cromer and thought thjat all meaningful Norfolk hills
    disappeared after Holt. Thanks. Richard "wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter" <[email protected]>
    > >Are you sure you were going east if you faced a headwind on your return [in a westerly
    > >direction]?
    >
    > You are correct - we headed west & came back in an easterly direction. Obviously that was my
    > deliberate error to check the attention of readers
    ;-)

    > Cheers, helen s
    >

    > ~~~~~~~~~~
    > Flush out that intestinal parasite and/or the waste product before sending
    > reply!
    >
    > Any speeliong mistake$ aR the resiult of my cats sitting on the
    keyboaRRRDdd
    > ~~~~~~~~~~

  8. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On 13 Apr 2003 16:49:32 GMT, [email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote:

    >All highly civilised.

    PJ O'Rourke has a rival. Tales from a tiny tapeworm, perhaps.

    James

    --
    ...now that electronic computers have been taught to compose it [music], we may confidently expect
    that before long some of them will learn to enjoy it, thus saving us the trouble.

    Arthur C Clarke

  9. >PJ O'Rourke has a rival. Tales from a tiny tapeworm, perhaps.

    Gosh! A published name!

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  10. Nick Kew

    Nick Kew Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, one of infinite monkeys at the keyboard of
    James Hodson <[email protected]> wrote:

    > ...now that electronic computers have been taught to compose it [music], we may confidently expect
    > that before long some of them will learn to enjoy it, thus saving us the trouble.

    The Electric Monk has been with us so long we ended up with one as our Prime Minister:-(

    --
    Axis of Evil: Whose economy needs ever more wars? Arms Exports $bn: USA 14.2, UK 5.1, vs France 1.5,
    Germany 0.8 (The Economist, July 2002)