All-purpose bike for very tall man

jimcollins

Nov 16, 2010
I'm looking for an all-purpose bike for around town and off-road. I've tried bikes from friends and clearly fit is important for someone my size, 6'4" 190 lbs. I am also leaning toward a full suspension for comfort even in the city. I have not had a bike in 25 years. My last bike was a Nishiki mtn bike that I used around town and off road but I'm 55 now and want a cushier ride. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

I feel your pain: I'm 6'5" 200 lbs. I'm currently riding a 66cm/26" road bike, an old Schwinn. Once I switched out seats I've not had any problems with ride comfort, but then again I stick to paved roads and trails. My previous bike was a 17" el-cheapo mountain bike that felt like a BMX on me. Fortunately bike manufacturers are not like pants makers, and you should have no trouble at all finding something to fit you in any style, brand, or equipment level you settle upon.

You really don't need, nor should you want full suspension if you are going to be riding primarily in the city. Suspension has no real use on paved roads and mild trails. All it really does is add weight, adds expense and something to be maintained and/or repaired, and makes you pedal harder for reduced output. When you are riding a full suspension bike, each time that you go through the power stroke of your pedalling motion, you are slightly compressing the suspension which uses some of the force that you would normally be transmitting to the drive wheel. In addition, the suspension cylinders have to be recharged with oil or air, and all of the linkages have to be cleaned and lubricated several times a year. Plus all of the extra components can add up to ten extra pounds of weight. Unless you plan upon riding some really rugged trails, you should stay away from full suspension. A lot of people get a suspension fork when they get a comfort bike and they are a little more acceptable, at least they aren't reducing your pedalling force but they still add weight and expense. I have always thought that a good suspended seatpost is the best suspension for city riding. It is light and simple and protects you from the minor bumps that you will encounter in town as well as a more extensive suspension will.

Originally Posted by jimcollins .

I'm looking for an all-purpose bike for around town and off-road. I've tried bikes from friends and clearly fit is important for someone my size, 6'4" 190 lbs. I am also leaning toward a full suspension for comfort even in the city.
Full suspension would be a lot of wasted effort in the city and on mild dirt roads and paths. On the other hand, you might like a front shock. Look into the Specialized Crossroads range or the Trek Kaitai-Montare-Utopia range for this kind of bike. These are road/trail hybrids that give you most of the comfort and ruggedness of mountain bikes without so much overhead--fat tires, rear suspensions, etc..

Both of these lines are sized Small to XXL. The Treks are measured in inches, Specialized in metric. At 6'4" you'll probably need to choose between XL and XXL. Most likely, there won't be an XXL in stock. If the XL feels too small, have the shop order you an XXL.