All round fitness training

Gene Cosloy

Guest
As a dedicated recumbenter for over a year now I've noticed better use of more of my lower body
muscle groups than before on a DF. However, while a DF isn't really training for the upper body, I
used to achieve a little tone in arms and shoulders and pecs just from holding my torso up.This is
no longer true or necessary on the bent.

So in search for a second recreation that might provide some cross training effect for the upper
body I've taken up kayacking. Wow, kayack paddling uses all of the large upper body muscles and some
lesser use even of the legs as well. I couldn't be more pleased and enthusiastically recommend it .
Very much like cycling however, kayacking is a very efficient method of moving through the water and
does require several miles of paddling over several hours to achieve training results. But who
cares, for like bent riding, the scenery can be awesome.

Gene

I used to paddle a canoe when I was MUCH younger. Never tried a kayak tho. A canoe should provide
the same or similar results if you stay away from the one-sided "J" stroke and alternate-paddle on
both sides. It would be nice to find a synthetic kayak/canoe paddling substitute for the cold months
and for us old geezers no longer up to lugging a real kayak/canoe around in any weather. On the
other hand, maybe lugging one around a few minutes a day WOULD be an effective alternative. Any one
got a kayak or canoe I can lug around? Jeez, I hate dumb jokes!!!!!

Phil

"pjclarkesq" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> I used to paddle a canoe when I was MUCH younger. Never tried a kayak tho. A canoe should provide
> the same or similar results if you stay away from the one-sided "J" stroke and alternate-paddle on
> both sides. It would be nice to find a synthetic kayak/canoe paddling substitute for the cold
> months and for us old geezers no longer up to lugging a real kayak/canoe around in any weather. On
> the other hand, maybe lugging one around a few minutes a day WOULD be an effective alternative.
> Any one got a kayak or canoe I can lug around? Jeez, I hate dumb jokes!!!!!
>
> Phil

They do have some VERY light ones these days :) I used to do some canoeing with my weightlifting
partner about 20 years ago. We were both very fit and very muscular. We were FAST. I said later we
should have found some competitions to enter. You think lactic acid build up pain is bad in your

Gene, I am looking at doing the same. Two friends of mine, both recumbent bike riders, kayak. They
love it. I am close to the Gulf of Mexico, and a lot of people sea kayak here.

I am actually thinking about buying a hand trike as well though, as my main love is biking. I have
some sort of arthritis moving through my body. When I don't ride my knees get REAL bad. My upper
body is constantly sore and pains in the shoulders. I used to go to arm wrestling tournaments in my
youth, which hasn't helped.

news:[email protected]...