All students obviously travel by car

wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX wrote:

> Any knowledgeable types out there who can point me in the direction of any information that point
> out any financial advantages to employers who encourage bikes??? As well as, perhaps, possible
> tactics she could use - if she was so inclined, and I have no idea if she is or isn't, with any
> arguments to get her employers to provide secure cycle parking etc., etc..

How about buying a cheap van, parking it permanently in the car park and using it as secure storage
for the bike. :)

--
Mark

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 10:24:03 +0100, Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:

> IIRC the Inland Revenue will allow them to pay you at the rate of 25p/mi for a bike. If they
> won't pay that much you can claim the difference between that rate and what you get on your tax
> return. Not as good as getting the full amount but better than nothing.

20 pence per mile. See the notes to box 1.32 on your tax return.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 10:28:46 +0100, Colin Blackburn <[email protected]> wrote:

>As I don't normally fill in a tax return, and am happy not to ...

Colin, the Lester Piggott of the cycling world ;-)

James

--
"Sorry mate, I didn't see you" is not a satisfactory excuse.

In message id <[email protected]> on 15 Sep 2003 17:37:12 GMT,
wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX wrote in uk.rec.cycling
:

>>On a related issue, I do some work for the OU and regularly travel to various residential schools
>
>Speaking of which & digressing a bit...
>
>A friend of mine uses her bike to get to & from work. She uses her bike during the day in
>connection with her work. Her employers won't give her mileage for using her bike, but will if she
>uses the car...

That is discrimination pure and simple. Threaten to engage a union or Citizens Advice Bureau to take
action against the company and some lily livered middle management type will change their minds. Its
only 20p mile tax free after all.

>Plus, she has now been told she cannot store her bike inside the building where she works - it was
>kept in an unused and locked office - and has been told "it's a health & safety risk".

If car parking facilities are made available, bike parking facilities should also be made available.
Discrinination/Union/CAB threat again.

>So she now has to keep her bike outside, in a less than secure situation, in a place where, if she
>used a car, her employer is... short of parking space, but the bike takes up less room and frees up
>what parking there is for others who don't cycle.
>
>Any knowledgeable types out there who can point me in the direction of any information that point
>out any financial advantages to employers who encourage bikes???

Environmental reporting is creeping into legislation for companies. So for companies with a public
interest, it can look good for them if they can be seen to be doing things environmentally friendly.
Most UK employers however are small family run or owned businesses with little interest in public
perception of them so they won't care too much. It all depends on who the employer is.

>As well as, perhaps, possible tactics she could use - if she was so inclined, and I have no idea
>if she is or isn't, with any arguments to get her employers to provide secure cycle parking
>etc., etc..

See above.

>I know she can't claim mileage for the journey to & from work-home, but she should at least be able
>to claim it for business miles - even though her employers say they won't??? I know the tax man
>allows such mileage.

See above.

HTH

--
If you must reply by email remove SPAM BLOKA and hope your message isn't deleted on sight.