all-terrain recumbent?

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Ken Kobayashi, Jun 5, 2003.

  1. I was looking at some Australian bike tour web sites - something I'd want to try eventually. They
    all seem to involve unpaved roads and recommend MTBs or at least hybrid bikes with knobby tires, and
    it occured to me that I don't have a 'bent suitable for such road conditions. So what would be an
    ideal 'bent for touring on unpaved roads? I think 26/26 bikes have a definite advantage in terms of
    rolling resistance and tire availability, and I'd guess full suspension would also come in handy.
    I'm guessing that any rear suspended 26/26 bike with a standard front fork can be fitted with a
    suspension fork. So the options are:

    Challenge Distance M5 26/26 Optima Condor Optima Orca Rainbow Lyra

    Did I miss anything? Are any of these particularly suitable (or unsuitable) for such donditions?

    Ken

  2. There WAS a first class all-terrain recumbent. It was the BikeE FX. Mine was modified with RX
    gearing and Zach Kaplan provided me with a second set wheels. One set had fat knobbies for off road
    and one set had road tires. It was heavy and not very fast but it was a very good off-road bike. I
    rode it on deer track trails, over roots, ruts and through sand.

    --
    Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush "Ken Kobayashi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > I was looking at some Australian bike tour web sites - something I'd want to try eventually. They
    > all seem to involve unpaved roads and recommend MTBs or at least hybrid bikes with knobby tires,
    > and it occured to me that I don't have a 'bent suitable for such road conditions. So what would be
    > an ideal 'bent for touring on unpaved roads? I think 26/26 bikes have a definite advantage in
    > terms of rolling resistance and tire availability, and I'd guess full suspension would also come
    > in handy. I'm guessing that any rear suspended 26/26 bike with a standard front fork can be fitted
    > with a suspension fork. So the options are:
    >
    > Challenge Distance M5 26/26 Optima Condor Optima Orca Rainbow Lyra
    >
    > Did I miss anything? Are any of these particularly suitable (or unsuitable) for such donditions?
    >
    > Ken
    >
    > Ken Kobayashi [email protected] http://solarwww.mtk.nao.ac.jp/kobayashi/personal/

  3. Bentnut

    Bentnut Guest

  4. Mads Hilberg

    Mads Hilberg Guest

    > I'm guessing that any rear suspended 26/26 bike with a standard front fork can be fitted with a
    > suspension fork. So the options are:

    I suspect doing this would raise the front even more and you might (depending on your height) have
    trouble reaching the ground. The bb would also become quite high. It is worth investigating each of
    the bikes you mention with regards to this though.

    > Challenge Distance M5 26/26 Optima Condor Optima Orca Rainbow Lyra

    You could use these as they are though. Depending on your requirements, you might even be better off
    without front suspension.

    > Did I miss anything? Are any of these particularly suitable (or unsuitable) for such donditions?

    Another option is a CLWB design, which makes it much easier to put your foot down when about to fall
    to the side. I also think a CLWB might simply handle better in rougher terrain. That said the 26/26
    models are clearly very good on dirt tracks and uneven roads.

    Mads

  5. Mlb

    Mlb Guest

    Ken Kobayashi <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > I was looking at some Australian bike tour web sites - something I'd want to try eventually. They
    > all seem to involve unpaved roads and recommend MTBs or at least hybrid bikes with knobby tires,
    > and it occured to me that I don't have a 'bent suitable for such road conditions. So what would be
    > an ideal 'bent for touring on unpaved roads? I think 26/26 bikes have a definite advantage in
    > terms of rolling resistance and tire availability, and I'd guess full suspension would also come
    > in handy. I'm guessing that any rear suspended 26/26 bike with a standard front fork can be fitted
    > with a suspension fork. So the options are:
    >
    > Challenge Distance M5 26/26 Optima Condor Optima Orca Rainbow Lyra
    >
    > Did I miss anything? Are any of these particularly suitable (or unsuitable) for such donditions?
    >
    > Ken
    >
    > Ken Kobayashi [email protected] http://solarwww.mtk.nao.ac.jp/kobayashi/personal/

    I would think the first and only real important factor would be the strength of the frame itself.
    Just because a bike has 26" tires doesn't mean it was built for the type of jolts that offroad bikes
    are subjected too. If anything, a high end bike is likely built lighter, with emphasis on speed, and
    may be less capable than a cheaper, heavier bike. I really don't see this tire (size is better)
    thing, but again, if anything, those big wheels will have you higher up in the air, not usually a
    good thing off road.

  6. Off road on a recumbent does work...to a point. A good off roader will "bunny hop" or "wheelie" over
    any obstacles which can't be done on a recumbent. Dirt roads and fire roads on a recumbent will work
    just fine.

    One of my secret training tricks for criterium racing my recumbent is to do some off road riding
    with high pressure road tires. It kills the tires in short order but it helps with learning were the
    edge of traction is. Recently built a ti Pursuit with 26" Mavic tubeless knobbies, disc brakes just
    for off road. Works great! Our short wheel base Tiger model also works but feels a little ragged on
    the fast down hills. Steve"Speedy" Delaire

    Ken Kobayashi wrote:

    > I was looking at some Australian bike tour web sites - something I'd want to try eventually. They
    > all seem to involve unpaved roads and recommend MTBs or at least hybrid bikes with knobby tires,
    > and it occured to me that I don't have a 'bent suitable for such road conditions. So what would be
    > an ideal 'bent for touring on unpaved roads? I think 26/26 bikes have a definite advantage in
    > terms of rolling resistance and tire availability, and I'd guess full suspension would also come
    > in handy. I'm guessing that any rear suspended 26/26 bike with a standard front fork can be fitted
    > with a suspension fork. So the options are:
    >
    > Challenge Distance M5 26/26 Optima Condor Optima Orca Rainbow Lyra
    >
    > Did I miss anything? Are any of these particularly suitable (or unsuitable) for such donditions?
    >
    > Ken
    >
    > Ken Kobayashi [email protected] http://solarwww.mtk.nao.ac.jp/kobayashi/personal/

  7. David

    David Guest

    Take a look at the Lightfoot Ranger. Bentrider Online recently did a review of it.
    www.lightfootcycles.com/

    Ken Kobayashi wrote:
    > I was looking at some Australian bike tour web sites - something I'd want to try eventually. They
    > all seem to involve unpaved roads and recommend MTBs or at least hybrid bikes with knobby tires,
    > and it occured to me that I don't have a 'bent suitable for such road conditions. So what would be
    > an ideal 'bent for touring on unpaved roads? I think 26/26 bikes have a definite advantage in
    > terms of rolling resistance and tire availability, and I'd guess full suspension would also come
    > in handy. I'm guessing that any rear suspended 26/26 bike with a standard front fork can be fitted
    > with a suspension fork. So the options are:
    >
    > Challenge Distance M5 26/26 Optima Condor Optima Orca Rainbow Lyra
    >
    > Did I miss anything? Are any of these particularly suitable (or unsuitable) for such donditions?
    >
    > Ken
    >
    > Ken Kobayashi [email protected] http://solarwww.mtk.nao.ac.jp/kobayashi/personal/

  8. Rorschandt

    Rorschandt Guest

    Ken Kobayashi <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > I was looking at some Australian bike tour web sites - something I'd want to try eventually. They
    > all seem to involve unpaved roads and recommend MTBs or at least hybrid bikes with knobby tires,
    > and it occured to me that I don't have a 'bent suitable for such road conditions. So what would be
    > an ideal 'bent for touring on unpaved roads? I think 26/26 bikes have a definite advantage in
    > terms of rolling resistance and tire availability, and I'd guess full suspension would also come
    > in handy. I'm guessing that any rear suspended 26/26 bike with a standard front fork can be fitted
    > with a suspension fork. So the options are:
    >
    > Challenge Distance M5 26/26 Optima Condor Optima Orca Rainbow Lyra
    >
    > Did I miss anything? Are any of these particularly suitable (or unsuitable) for such donditions?

    Ken.Have you forgotten me? hmmm?

    http://pictures.care2.com/view/1/174801833

    I've taken this off road a few times. Its still a bitch on hills, and the chainrings dig in on those
    "whoop-di-whoops". ( :

  9. Robert Siegel wrote:

    > There WAS a first class all-terrain recumbent. It was the BikeE FX. Mine was modified with RX
    > gearing and Zach Kaplan provided me with a second set wheels. One set had fat knobbies for off
    > road and one set had road tires. It was heavy and not very fast but it was a very good off-road
    > bike. I rode it on deer track trails, over roots, ruts and through sand.

    From which one could infer that a Cannondale or HP Velotechnik Spirit, similarly equipped, would be
    capable of doing the same.

    The Street Machine GT seems to be well thought of by the World Tourist, while I've also seen several
    accounts of long distance off-roadery in Australia using Greenspeed trikes, which do at least have
    the advantage of not requiring balancing. Dave Larrington - http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/
    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  10. Seamus

    Seamus New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2003

  11. "Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > . . . The Street Machine GT seems to be well thought of by the World Tourist, while I've also seen
    > several accounts of long distance off-roadery in Australia using Greenspeed trikes, which do at
    > least have the advantage of not requiring balancing.

    And 'not requiring balancing' means that the stump-pulling Schlumpf Mountain Drive can be engaged.

    There'd be some work to do on the weight/weight distribution and tires, though. My GTO with Tioga
    Comp Pools is useless even on gravel roads. I've had to walk it up pitches on some of my favorite
    routes. Maybe with knobbies and a touring load or rear ballast, it'd work better.

    A serious all-terrain trike would almost have to drive more than one wheel.

    Fred Klingener

  12. Cbb

    Cbb Guest

    Speaking of off road trikes from Australia. http://mrrecumbenttrikes.com/swiftadventure.htm Seems
    like it should be a good tourer if a little slower than the dual 26 bikes. Craig

    Ken Kobayashi <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I was looking at some Australian bike tour web sites - something I'd want to try eventually. They
    > all seem to involve unpaved roads and recommend MTBs or at least hybrid bikes with knobby tires,
    > and it occured to me that I don't have a 'bent suitable for such road conditions. So what would be
    > an ideal 'bent for touring on unpaved roads? I think 26/26 bikes have a definite advantage in
    > terms of rolling resistance and tire availability, and I'd guess full suspension would also come
    > in handy. I'm guessing that any rear suspended 26/26 bike with a standard front fork can be fitted
    > with a suspension fork. So the options are:
    >
    > Challenge Distance M5 26/26 Optima Condor Optima Orca Rainbow Lyra
    >
    > Did I miss anything? Are any of these particularly suitable (or unsuitable) for such donditions?
    >
    > Ken

    > Ken Kobayashi [email protected] http://solarwww.mtk.nao.ac.jp/kobayashi/personal/

  13. Mads Hilberg

    Mads Hilberg Guest

  14. "Mads Hilberg" skrev...
    > I like the front suspension setup - very cool. Alas I suppose those are US dollars on the site?

    Nope thats aussie dollars. Currently at 4.16 DKK for one dollar. http://mrrecumbenttrikes.com/ (and
    click on prices)

    But theres still shipping and toll and VAT to add.

    M.

  15. Mads Hilberg

    Mads Hilberg Guest

    > Nope thats aussie dollars. Currently at 4.16 DKK for one dollar. http://mrrecumbenttrikes.com/
    > (and click on prices)
    >
    > But theres still shipping and toll and VAT to add.

    If one could bypass those, it would be incredibly cheap. The way to do this of course is to go down
    and pick it up (not cheap in itself), but then at least it should be possible to bypass the toll.
    Not quite legal of course... anyone know of any loopholes? Some EU strange series of countries to go
    via which have free trade agreements maybe? ;-)

    Mads

  16. martynet

    martynet Guest

    I have used Orca, V-rex, Optima Lynx, and HP Streetmachine on unpaved roads. No stump-jumping, but
    lots of ruts and rocks.

    They all work fine. I use Schwalbe Marathon or Specialized Nimbus tires. (Dump the Comets. Leave the
    Monte Carlos to the road.)

    I like the Lynx the best - great handling. The HP is smoothest, but hardest go up large hills,
    unless the suspension is full-tight. The Orca is a great cruiser, but not as much fun as the Lynx.
    The V-rex remains the best all-around paved/unpaved recumbent I have used - loses to the Lynx only
    because Lynx absorbs more rough stuff with its rear shock.

    Sounds like a great trip.

    Marty Anderson

    Ken Kobayashi <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I was looking at some Australian bike tour web sites - something I'd want to try eventually. They
    > all seem to involve unpaved roads and recommend MTBs or at least hybrid bikes with knobby tires,
    > and it occured to me that I don't have a 'bent suitable for such road conditions. So what would be
    > an ideal 'bent for touring on unpaved roads? I think 26/26 bikes have a definite advantage in
    > terms of rolling resistance and tire availability, and I'd guess full suspension would also come
    > in handy. I'm guessing that any rear suspended 26/26 bike with a standard front fork can be fitted
    > with a suspension fork. So the options are:
    >
    > Challenge Distance M5 26/26 Optima Condor Optima Orca Rainbow Lyra
    >
    > Did I miss anything? Are any of these particularly suitable (or unsuitable) for such donditions?
    >
    > Ken
    >
    > Ken Kobayashi [email protected] http://solarwww.mtk.nao.ac.jp/kobayashi/personal/

  17. Bri

    Bri Guest

    That is a cool trike! My RX is kind of tough off road. Not being able to get my butt off the seat
    makes for some serious pounding! I think for real bumpy stuff my mountain bike will be the one of
    choice, but I like the BikeE for everything else.

    Mads Hilberg wrote:

    > "cbb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Speaking of off road trikes from Australia. http://mrrecumbenttrikes.com/swiftadventure.htm
    > > Seems like it should be a good tourer if a little slower than the dual 26
    > bikes.
    > > Craig
    >
    > I like the front suspension setup - very cool. Alas I suppose those are US dollars on the site?
    >
    > Mads

  18. Jerry Rhodes

    Jerry Rhodes Guest

    Ken Kobayashi <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > So what would be an ideal 'bent for touring on unpaved roads?

    Ken,

    You missed the one I ride on very rough, unimproved ranch roads daily.

    RANS Vivo with good agressive knobbies on it. A Specialized Stumpjumper FSR it ain't but it really
    gets the job done with little fuss.

    If the road is suitable for a pickup then the Vivo is the ticket as far as I am concerned.

    I had some Airless tires on it but I abandoned them because the ride felt "dead" and went back
    Airfull tires. Je suis a happy camper now.

    Jerry

  19. Greg Dunn

    Greg Dunn Guest

    Eww, that tailpiece is **ugly** !!