all-terrain recumbent?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On 6 Jun 2003 14:55:26 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>I have used Orca, V-rex, Optima Lynx, and HP Streetmachine on unpaved roads. No stump-jumping, but
>lots of ruts and rocks.
>
>They all work fine. I use Schwalbe Marathon or Specialized Nimbus tires. (Dump the Comets. Leave
>the Monte Carlos to the road.)
>
>I like the Lynx the best - great handling. The HP is smoothest, but hardest go up large hills,
>unless the suspension is full-tight. The Orca is a great cruiser, but not as much fun as the Lynx.
>The V-rex remains the best all-around paved/unpaved recumbent I have used - loses to the Lynx only
>because Lynx absorbs more rough stuff with its rear shock.
>
>Sounds like a great trip.
>
>Marty Anderson

I use a V-Rex for roads and a df MTB. I'm not sure if I'm lacking in imagination, talent, or
knowledge - but in the mountains 'round here, not being able to stand up would be to big a handicap
to overcome.

How do the bent MTBers do it?

Thanks all for the suggestions and comments. For some reason I forgot about the CLWB offerings -
they do seem ideal for off road, though I'm not sure if I'd want them for longer touring. Suspended
trikes are another option, I agree, but I've noticed that single track vehicles (bikes) have a
definite advantage when there is a well-defined rut on an unpaved road.

I think I'm still leaning towards a dual-26" SWB. Judging from the photos the Optima Orca has an
almost identical configuration (seat height and angle, BB height) to my Bacchetta, so maybe
that'd work out well. Too bad the Euro exchange rate has gone up so much... I'll have to save up
for a while.

I'm not the adventurous type, not on a bike, anyhow, but I cannot even imagine going off road on a
two-big-wheel, laid back Euro seat recumbent. CLWBs are the only recumbents I ever thoughtof as off
road 'bents.

--
Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush "Ken Kobayashi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...
>
> Thanks all for the suggestions and comments. For some reason I forgot about the CLWB offerings -
> they do seem ideal for off road, though I'm not sure if I'd want them for longer touring.
> Suspended trikes are another option, I agree, but I've noticed that single track vehicles (bikes)
> have a definite advantage when there is a well-defined rut on an unpaved road.
>
> I think I'm still leaning towards a dual-26" SWB. Judging from the photos the Optima Orca has an
> almost identical configuration (seat height and angle, BB height) to my Bacchetta, so maybe
> that'd work out well. Too bad the Euro exchange rate has gone up so much... I'll have to save up
> for a while.

On Mon, 09 Jun 2003 13:02:49 GMT, "Robert Siegel" <[email protected]> wrote:
>I'm not the adventurous type, not on a bike, anyhow, but I cannot even imagine going off road on a
>two-big-wheel, laid back Euro seat recumbent. CLWBs are the only recumbents I ever thoughtof as off
>road 'bents.

Have you seen this page?

http://cybercondor.free.fr/index2.html

- Ken

Yep, better go for the BikeE RX or the FX. Low price and excelent bikes. Takes a lot of pressure in
the front air shock though to keep from bottoming out the suspension.

Robert Siegel wrote:

> I'm not the adventurous type, not on a bike, anyhow, but I cannot even imagine going off road on a
> two-big-wheel, laid back Euro seat recumbent. CLWBs are the only recumbents I ever thoughtof as
> off road 'bents.
>
> --
> Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush "Ken Kobayashi" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message news:eek:[email protected]...
> >
> > Thanks all for the suggestions and comments. For some reason I forgot about the CLWB offerings -
> > they do seem ideal for off road, though I'm not sure if I'd want them for longer touring.
> > Suspended trikes are another option, I agree, but I've noticed that single track vehicles
> > (bikes) have a definite advantage when there is a well-defined rut on an unpaved road.
> >
> > I think I'm still leaning towards a dual-26" SWB. Judging from the photos the Optima Orca has an
> > almost identical configuration (seat height and angle, BB height) to my Bacchetta, so maybe
> > that'd work out well. Too bad the Euro exchange rate has gone up so much... I'll have to save up
> > for a while.

> Speaking of off road trikes from Australia. http://mrrecumbenttrikes.com/swiftadventure.htm Seems
> like it should be a good tourer if a little slower than the dual 26
bikes.
> Craig

I've ridden the Swift Adventure. Very nice.
Michael Rogan encourages test riders to ride over a 4" piece of wood with any wheel and this tends to make no real impression to the handling or line one takes with the trike.

Seriously though a trike or recumbent would not be fun in real Australian off-road riding. Dirt roads and good fire trails OK. But for off road, I use a MTB coz that's what they are designed for.

Pete

"Robert Siegel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I had forgotten .... you are 100% right regarding the 16 inch front wheel. Your comment brings
> back memories of off-roading on my BikeE FX>RX. The small front wheel could be a major impediment
> although it generally was manageable. But ... I often had to walk through sandy stretches.
> --

I haven't forgotten. Little wheels go down in those sandy holes and want to stay there. 26" wheels
can blow right over those same holes and hardly notice them. I can't see any advantage to small
wheels on single track. A regular mtb excels here and has a higher fun factor for me.

skip

I quickly reached the same conclusion. I could "make do" off road with the FX but my mountain bike
was a LOT better.

On the other hand, my Ti Rush is a LOT better on the road than any of my upright Especially to my
butt, shoulders, neck, wrists and more personal body parts.

--
Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush "skip" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>
> "Robert Siegel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I had forgotten .... you are 100% right regarding the 16 inch front
wheel.
> > Your comment brings back memories of off-roading on my BikeE FX>RX. The small front wheel could
> > be a major impediment although it generally was manageable. But ... I often had to walk through
> > sandy stretches.
> > --
>
> I haven't forgotten. Little wheels go down in those sandy holes and want
to
> stay there. 26" wheels can blow right over those same holes and hardly notice them. I can't see
> any advantage to small wheels on single track.
A
> regular mtb excels here and has a higher fun factor for me.
>
> skip

My favorite LBS just got in some Giant Revives. I tested the DX model a couple of weeks ago in
another shop and was most impressed. Today I tested the standard model which uses an 8 speed
derailler drive instead of the Nexus 7. It was a blast to say the least. When I took it back to the
shop, I got talking with the guys (shop employees) about how this bike with the right modifications
might make a great off-roader. We discussed a wider (and lower!) gear ratio, front suspension fork,
off-road tires, etc.

The more I think about it, I am more convinced that this is the configuration that may work best for
off-roading with it's more upright riding posture which allows more upper body involvement. The bike
is very comfortable and sitting closer to the ground than an upright MTB makes it feel safe. The
step thru frame is an asset should you need to catch yourself should in case of side slippage and
will prevent "accidents" with your crotch area if you jump off the seat for any reason. It's
wheelbase is similiar to a regular bike and will help to negociate tight switchbacks when you're out
in the woods.

While no recumbent or even a "semi" like the Revive will out perform a good upright MTB when the
going really gets rough, in my humble opinion, this breed of semi-recumbents is as good as it gets
for this type of riding if you intend to enjoy an ergonomically friendly bike without resorting to
an upright MTB.

Just my two cents.

Edward Wong Orlando, FL

Status
Not open for further replies.