all-terrain recumbent?

Ken Kobayashi

Guest
I was looking at some Australian bike tour web sites - something I'd want to try eventually. They
all seem to involve unpaved roads and recommend MTBs or at least hybrid bikes with knobby tires, and
it occured to me that I don't have a 'bent suitable for such road conditions. So what would be an
ideal 'bent for touring on unpaved roads? I think 26/26 bikes have a definite advantage in terms of
rolling resistance and tire availability, and I'd guess full suspension would also come in handy.
I'm guessing that any rear suspended 26/26 bike with a standard front fork can be fitted with a
suspension fork. So the options are:

Challenge Distance M5 26/26 Optima Condor Optima Orca Rainbow Lyra

Did I miss anything? Are any of these particularly suitable (or unsuitable) for such donditions?

Ken

There WAS a first class all-terrain recumbent. It was the BikeE FX. Mine was modified with RX
gearing and Zach Kaplan provided me with a second set wheels. One set had fat knobbies for off road
and one set had road tires. It was heavy and not very fast but it was a very good off-road bike. I
rode it on deer track trails, over roots, ruts and through sand.

--
Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush "Ken Kobayashi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I was looking at some Australian bike tour web sites - something I'd want to try eventually. They
> all seem to involve unpaved roads and recommend MTBs or at least hybrid bikes with knobby tires,
> and it occured to me that I don't have a 'bent suitable for such road conditions. So what would be
> an ideal 'bent for touring on unpaved roads? I think 26/26 bikes have a definite advantage in
> terms of rolling resistance and tire availability, and I'd guess full suspension would also come
> in handy. I'm guessing that any rear suspended 26/26 bike with a standard front fork can be fitted
> with a suspension fork. So the options are:
>
> Challenge Distance M5 26/26 Optima Condor Optima Orca Rainbow Lyra
>
> Did I miss anything? Are any of these particularly suitable (or unsuitable) for such donditions?
>
> Ken
>
> Ken Kobayashi [email protected] http://solarwww.mtk.nao.ac.jp/kobayashi/personal/

> I'm guessing that any rear suspended 26/26 bike with a standard front fork can be fitted with a
> suspension fork. So the options are:

I suspect doing this would raise the front even more and you might (depending on your height) have
trouble reaching the ground. The bb would also become quite high. It is worth investigating each of
the bikes you mention with regards to this though.

> Challenge Distance M5 26/26 Optima Condor Optima Orca Rainbow Lyra

You could use these as they are though. Depending on your requirements, you might even be better off
without front suspension.

> Did I miss anything? Are any of these particularly suitable (or unsuitable) for such donditions?

Another option is a CLWB design, which makes it much easier to put your foot down when about to fall
to the side. I also think a CLWB might simply handle better in rougher terrain. That said the 26/26
models are clearly very good on dirt tracks and uneven roads.

Mads

Ken Kobayashi <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> I was looking at some Australian bike tour web sites - something I'd want to try eventually. They
> all seem to involve unpaved roads and recommend MTBs or at least hybrid bikes with knobby tires,
> and it occured to me that I don't have a 'bent suitable for such road conditions. So what would be
> an ideal 'bent for touring on unpaved roads? I think 26/26 bikes have a definite advantage in
> terms of rolling resistance and tire availability, and I'd guess full suspension would also come
> in handy. I'm guessing that any rear suspended 26/26 bike with a standard front fork can be fitted
> with a suspension fork. So the options are:
>
> Challenge Distance M5 26/26 Optima Condor Optima Orca Rainbow Lyra
>
> Did I miss anything? Are any of these particularly suitable (or unsuitable) for such donditions?
>
> Ken
>
> Ken Kobayashi [email protected] http://solarwww.mtk.nao.ac.jp/kobayashi/personal/

I would think the first and only real important factor would be the strength of the frame itself.
Just because a bike has 26" tires doesn't mean it was built for the type of jolts that offroad bikes
are subjected too. If anything, a high end bike is likely built lighter, with emphasis on speed, and
may be less capable than a cheaper, heavier bike. I really don't see this tire (size is better)
thing, but again, if anything, those big wheels will have you higher up in the air, not usually a
good thing off road.

Off road on a recumbent does work...to a point. A good off roader will "bunny hop" or "wheelie" over
any obstacles which can't be done on a recumbent. Dirt roads and fire roads on a recumbent will work
just fine.

One of my secret training tricks for criterium racing my recumbent is to do some off road riding
with high pressure road tires. It kills the tires in short order but it helps with learning were the
edge of traction is. Recently built a ti Pursuit with 26" Mavic tubeless knobbies, disc brakes just
for off road. Works great! Our short wheel base Tiger model also works but feels a little ragged on
the fast down hills. Steve"Speedy" Delaire

Ken Kobayashi wrote:

> I was looking at some Australian bike tour web sites - something I'd want to try eventually. They
> all seem to involve unpaved roads and recommend MTBs or at least hybrid bikes with knobby tires,
> and it occured to me that I don't have a 'bent suitable for such road conditions. So what would be
> an ideal 'bent for touring on unpaved roads? I think 26/26 bikes have a definite advantage in
> terms of rolling resistance and tire availability, and I'd guess full suspension would also come
> in handy. I'm guessing that any rear suspended 26/26 bike with a standard front fork can be fitted
> with a suspension fork. So the options are:
>
> Challenge Distance M5 26/26 Optima Condor Optima Orca Rainbow Lyra
>
> Did I miss anything? Are any of these particularly suitable (or unsuitable) for such donditions?
>
> Ken
>
> Ken Kobayashi [email protected] http://solarwww.mtk.nao.ac.jp/kobayashi/personal/

Take a look at the Lightfoot Ranger. Bentrider Online recently did a review of it.
www.lightfootcycles.com/

Ken Kobayashi wrote:
> I was looking at some Australian bike tour web sites - something I'd want to try eventually. They
> all seem to involve unpaved roads and recommend MTBs or at least hybrid bikes with knobby tires,
> and it occured to me that I don't have a 'bent suitable for such road conditions. So what would be
> an ideal 'bent for touring on unpaved roads? I think 26/26 bikes have a definite advantage in
> terms of rolling resistance and tire availability, and I'd guess full suspension would also come
> in handy. I'm guessing that any rear suspended 26/26 bike with a standard front fork can be fitted
> with a suspension fork. So the options are:
>
> Challenge Distance M5 26/26 Optima Condor Optima Orca Rainbow Lyra
>
> Did I miss anything? Are any of these particularly suitable (or unsuitable) for such donditions?
>
> Ken
>
> Ken Kobayashi [email protected] http://solarwww.mtk.nao.ac.jp/kobayashi/personal/

Ken Kobayashi <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> I was looking at some Australian bike tour web sites - something I'd want to try eventually. They
> all seem to involve unpaved roads and recommend MTBs or at least hybrid bikes with knobby tires,
> and it occured to me that I don't have a 'bent suitable for such road conditions. So what would be
> an ideal 'bent for touring on unpaved roads? I think 26/26 bikes have a definite advantage in
> terms of rolling resistance and tire availability, and I'd guess full suspension would also come
> in handy. I'm guessing that any rear suspended 26/26 bike with a standard front fork can be fitted
> with a suspension fork. So the options are:
>
> Challenge Distance M5 26/26 Optima Condor Optima Orca Rainbow Lyra
>
> Did I miss anything? Are any of these particularly suitable (or unsuitable) for such donditions?

Ken.Have you forgotten me? hmmm?

http://pictures.care2.com/view/1/174801833

I've taken this off road a few times. Its still a ***** on hills, and the chainrings dig in on those
"whoop-di-whoops". ( :

Robert Siegel wrote:

> There WAS a first class all-terrain recumbent. It was the BikeE FX. Mine was modified with RX
> gearing and Zach Kaplan provided me with a second set wheels. One set had fat knobbies for off
> road and one set had road tires. It was heavy and not very fast but it was a very good off-road
> bike. I rode it on deer track trails, over roots, ruts and through sand.

From which one could infer that a Cannondale or HP Velotechnik Spirit, similarly equipped, would be
capable of doing the same.

The Street Machine GT seems to be well thought of by the World Tourist, while I've also seen several
accounts of long distance off-roadery in Australia using Greenspeed trikes, which do at least have
the advantage of not requiring balancing. Dave Larrington - http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/
http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

> . . . The Street Machine GT seems to be well thought of by the World Tourist, while I've also seen
> several accounts of long distance off-roadery in Australia using Greenspeed trikes, which do at
> least have the advantage of not requiring balancing.

And 'not requiring balancing' means that the stump-pulling Schlumpf Mountain Drive can be engaged.

There'd be some work to do on the weight/weight distribution and tires, though. My GTO with Tioga
Comp Pools is useless even on gravel roads. I've had to walk it up pitches on some of my favorite
routes. Maybe with knobbies and a touring load or rear ballast, it'd work better.

A serious all-terrain trike would almost have to drive more than one wheel.

Fred Klingener

Speaking of off road trikes from Australia. http://mrrecumbenttrikes.com/swiftadventure.htm Seems
like it should be a good tourer if a little slower than the dual 26 bikes. Craig

Ken Kobayashi <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I was looking at some Australian bike tour web sites - something I'd want to try eventually. They
> all seem to involve unpaved roads and recommend MTBs or at least hybrid bikes with knobby tires,
> and it occured to me that I don't have a 'bent suitable for such road conditions. So what would be
> an ideal 'bent for touring on unpaved roads? I think 26/26 bikes have a definite advantage in
> terms of rolling resistance and tire availability, and I'd guess full suspension would also come
> in handy. I'm guessing that any rear suspended 26/26 bike with a standard front fork can be fitted
> with a suspension fork. So the options are:
>
> Challenge Distance M5 26/26 Optima Condor Optima Orca Rainbow Lyra
>
> Did I miss anything? Are any of these particularly suitable (or unsuitable) for such donditions?
>
> Ken

> Ken Kobayashi [email protected] http://solarwww.mtk.nao.ac.jp/kobayashi/personal/

"Mads Hilberg" skrev...
> I like the front suspension setup - very cool. Alas I suppose those are US dollars on the site?

Nope thats aussie dollars. Currently at 4.16 DKK for one dollar. http://mrrecumbenttrikes.com/ (and
click on prices)

But theres still shipping and toll and VAT to add.

M.

> Nope thats aussie dollars. Currently at 4.16 DKK for one dollar. http://mrrecumbenttrikes.com/
> (and click on prices)
>
> But theres still shipping and toll and VAT to add.

If one could bypass those, it would be incredibly cheap. The way to do this of course is to go down
and pick it up (not cheap in itself), but then at least it should be possible to bypass the toll.
Not quite legal of course... anyone know of any loopholes? Some EU strange series of countries to go
via which have free trade agreements maybe? ;-)

Mads

I have used Orca, V-rex, Optima Lynx, and HP Streetmachine on unpaved roads. No stump-jumping, but
lots of ruts and rocks.

They all work fine. I use Schwalbe Marathon or Specialized Nimbus tires. (Dump the Comets. Leave the
Monte Carlos to the road.)

I like the Lynx the best - great handling. The HP is smoothest, but hardest go up large hills,
unless the suspension is full-tight. The Orca is a great cruiser, but not as much fun as the Lynx.
The V-rex remains the best all-around paved/unpaved recumbent I have used - loses to the Lynx only
because Lynx absorbs more rough stuff with its rear shock.

Sounds like a great trip.

Marty Anderson

Ken Kobayashi <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I was looking at some Australian bike tour web sites - something I'd want to try eventually. They
> all seem to involve unpaved roads and recommend MTBs or at least hybrid bikes with knobby tires,
> and it occured to me that I don't have a 'bent suitable for such road conditions. So what would be
> an ideal 'bent for touring on unpaved roads? I think 26/26 bikes have a definite advantage in
> terms of rolling resistance and tire availability, and I'd guess full suspension would also come
> in handy. I'm guessing that any rear suspended 26/26 bike with a standard front fork can be fitted
> with a suspension fork. So the options are:
>
> Challenge Distance M5 26/26 Optima Condor Optima Orca Rainbow Lyra
>
> Did I miss anything? Are any of these particularly suitable (or unsuitable) for such donditions?
>
> Ken
>
> Ken Kobayashi [email protected] http://solarwww.mtk.nao.ac.jp/kobayashi/personal/

That is a cool trike! My RX is kind of tough off road. Not being able to get my butt off the seat
makes for some serious pounding! I think for real bumpy stuff my mountain bike will be the one of
choice, but I like the BikeE for everything else.

Mads Hilberg wrote:

> "cbb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Speaking of off road trikes from Australia. http://mrrecumbenttrikes.com/swiftadventure.htm
> > Seems like it should be a good tourer if a little slower than the dual 26
> bikes.
> > Craig
>
> I like the front suspension setup - very cool. Alas I suppose those are US dollars on the site?
>
> Mads

Ken Kobayashi <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> So what would be an ideal 'bent for touring on unpaved roads?

Ken,

You missed the one I ride on very rough, unimproved ranch roads daily.

RANS Vivo with good agressive knobbies on it. A Specialized Stumpjumper FSR it ain't but it really
gets the job done with little fuss.

If the road is suitable for a pickup then the Vivo is the ticket as far as I am concerned.

I had some Airless tires on it but I abandoned them because the ride felt "dead" and went back
Airfull tires. Je suis a happy camper now.

Jerry

Eww, that tailpiece is **ugly** !!

--
Greg Dunn