All These Companies! How to Choose?



captain_juno

New Member
Nov 1, 2009
4
0
0
So, I'm trying to find that perfect bike and I thought I had it narrowed down but I was only looking at Trek. How in the world do you compare all of them? I don't like to limit with a budget but I know I definitely want something under $1000 and closer to the $800 range. I know some companies are Felt, Trek, Giant, Specialized, Jamis, Kona, and Fuji, but how do I decide? I'm pretty sure that I want Tiagra components and a carbon fork. Other than that, I'm not really sure. Thanks for your help.
 

cyclissimo

New Member
Oct 16, 2009
32
0
0
captain_juno said:
So, I'm trying to find that perfect bike and I thought I had it narrowed down but I was only looking at Trek. How in the world do you compare all of them? I don't like to limit with a budget but I know I definitely want something under $1000 and closer to the $800 range. I know some companies are Felt, Trek, Giant, Specialized, Jamis, Kona, and Fuji, but how do I decide? I'm pretty sure that I want Tiagra components and a carbon fork. Other than that, I'm not really sure. Thanks for your help.
Go to a shop and ride a couple. For a given price range you won't see too much difference in components or build quality so ride a few see what feels good to you, fits your budget and tickles your fancy in terms of looks. It's not like Trek is a great deal and Specialized sucks at the same price point, all the major brands are pretty much price competitive so ride a few and buy whatever you like the most.
 

LongT

New Member
Aug 5, 2008
4
0
0
I agree at any given price point most bikes are of equal quality. Frame specifications can be different from one maker or even model to another. Ride a few in your price range and see what feels best.

Bill
 

BluesDawg

New Member
Feb 20, 2005
29
0
1
Narrow the field by picking a bike shop (or a few) that you would like to do business with and focus on the brands they sell. Given that bikes at a price point and of a type are so similar, choosing the right shop can be more important than which bike you choose. Look for a shop that will listen and one that will make sure the bike you buy fits you well and suits you and the type of riding you plan to do.
 

alienator

Well-Known Member
Jun 10, 2004
12,596
310
0
I'd focus on trying bikes until you find one that presses all your buttons. You can always take that bike to any bike store for service. If an LBS won't service a bike bought elsewhere, or gives attitude about it, then it's not an LBS worth patronizing.

Focus on the bike and what you like. If you end up not liking what you buy, you aren't likely to ride.
 

King Schlooge

Banned
Jun 2, 2009
58
0
0
You may be able to purchase a bike this time of year on clearance. Each of my last two bikes I purchased new for about 30% off list price at a shop, not online. Availability of clearance bikes varies with frame size, with more common sizes easier to find than the bigger frame I ride. I think it is likely you can find a bike in the $1000 to $1100 list price range with aluminum frame, carbon fork and seatpost, Tiagra shifters and derailleurs, and Tektro or similar non-Shimano brakes on sale for about $800 to $850. So don't limit yourself to only looking at bikes that are $800 list price. Advice of others above is good.
 

alienator

Well-Known Member
Jun 10, 2004
12,596
310
0
King Schlooge said:
You may be able to purchase a bike this time of year on clearance. Each of my last two bikes I purchased new for about 30% off list price at a shop, not online. Availability of clearance bikes varies with frame size, with more common sizes easier to find than the bigger frame I ride. I think it is likely you can find a bike in the $1000 to $1100 list price range with aluminum frame, carbon fork and seatpost, Tiagra shifters and derailleurs, and Tektro or similar non-Shimano brakes on sale for about $800 to $850. So don't limit yourself to only looking at bikes that are $800 list price. Advice of others above is good.

This is a good point. After the New Year and into Spring, '09 bikes should go down in price as dealers await '10 bikes. Also, if shop around, you'll find shops that still have '08 and possibly older NOS bikes. NOS bikes are deals waiting to be had. It's possible to find a desirable bike with components better than Tiagra.....105 perhaps. It can be well worth driving a bit to look at bikes. Call ahead to see what shops have NOS bikes in stock, then go try the ones that interest you.
 

King Schlooge

Banned
Jun 2, 2009
58
0
0
As an example of the New Old Stock (NOS) mentioned by Alienator, the shop that I frequent most often has a couple of 2008 Schwinn Fastback Comps in a medium frame size on the floor that are mostly 105 equipped with a decent wheelset which were $1100 originally, but they would part with now for $800. I think they even have carbon seatstays and are a good looking bike.
 

alienator

Well-Known Member
Jun 10, 2004
12,596
310
0
Schwinn Fastbacks are more than decent bikes:

2008-schwinn-fastback-sport.jpg
 

steve

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 12, 2001
5,276
394
83
I must have been living under a rock, these are pretty decent bikes for the price :confused:
 

alienator

Well-Known Member
Jun 10, 2004
12,596
310
0
steve said:
I must have been living under a rock, these are pretty decent bikes for the price :confused:

Schwinn is overlooked a lot, but they still make some good bikes. The Paramount they released last year is pretty damned classy:

Schwinn_Paramount_70th_full_view.jpg


And that is the Fastback Sport. Check out the Comp.

I know. I just picked a representative example of the species, in general.
 

King Schlooge

Banned
Jun 2, 2009
58
0
0
alienator said:
Schwinn is overlooked a lot, but they still make some good bikes. The Paramount they released last year is pretty damned classy:



I know. I just picked a representative example of the species, in general.

Man, I wanted one of those anniversary Paramounts! I have not seen one in real life; they were a limited edition. And expensive.
 

steve

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 12, 2001
5,276
394
83
alienator said:
Schwinn is overlooked a lot, but they still make some good bikes. The Paramount they released last year is pretty damned classy:

Nice! its very old school, I like it :)
 

alienator

Well-Known Member
Jun 10, 2004
12,596
310
0
I used to have a Schwinn Paramount. It were custom built for moi in the Waterford factory. It was racing red w/ black letters.

Here's the stand which used to hold the bike when I worked on it:
 

alienator

Well-Known Member
Jun 10, 2004
12,596
310
0
64Paramount said:
:D

So, how much did the pooch weigh?

Two pounds more than my current bike. His name is Feynman; he's a certified cat killer; and he thinks he's 5x bigger than he is. He's as loyal as they come.
 

dhk2

Well-Known Member
Aug 8, 2006
2,214
74
48
75
Feynman, really? He looks more like one of the mean old country dogs that loves to cyclists than a distinguished physicist :)