All These Companies! How to Choose?

dhk2 said:
Feynman, really? He looks more like one of the mean old country dogs that loves to cyclists than a distinguished physicist :)

Nah, he really seems to have a good grasp of Newtonian Mechanics. He's a youngish dog....4 years old.....and he likes people. He does like to bark though........he's got a lot to say.

One downside to dogs--we have three--is trying to do pre-ride stretches on the floor. For them, being on the floor signifies time to play and lick.

ask around USE chamber ofc ommerce if needed- find a dealer you can TRUST and test ride many THERE IS NO SUCH THING A/THE PERFECT BIKE find one that feels good
captain_juno said:
So, I'm trying to find that perfect bike and I thought I had it narrowed down but I was only looking at Trek. How in the world do you compare all of them? I don't like to limit with a budget but I know I definitely want something under $1000 and closer to the $800 range. I know some companies are Felt, Trek, Giant, Specialized, Jamis, Kona, and Fuji, but how do I decide? I'm pretty sure that I want Tiagra components and a carbon fork. Other than that, I'm not really sure. Thanks for your help.

King Schlooge said:
I hope this is not against Forum rules to include a link to a commercial site (I'm new) but here is another great deal, much bike for $800. They have all sizes.
SCOTT SPEEDSTER S40 27SP BIKE 2009 at JensonUSA.com

Do you own the s40? I just had my lbs order one for me. I went with the 56cm (6 feet tall, ~32 inch inseam) but I'm worried it will be too small and I'll end up waiting another week.

hostdp6 said:
Do you own the s40? I just had my lbs order one for me. I went with the 56cm (6 feet tall, ~32 inch inseam) but I'm worried it will be too small and I'll end up waiting another week.

Speedster aluminum frames are best in class. I understand your concern about size. Honestly though, some 6-footers are truly bigger than others, so I'm going to respect your dealer's judgment until I hear otherwise.

I second the motion on Schwinn.
I actually got a 2007 Schwinn Peloton (bought it in 2009).
It is FULL CARBON, Full Shimano 105 and got it on sale for $900.

They had forgotten about it and I happened to be in the store when they were lowering it down from the ceiling.

Point is...if you are patient, do your homework, you can find great deals. I would also look at similar bikes, but upgrading your components to 105...might only be a small increase, but more bang for your buck.

Good luck.