Allen- Coggan book training plan

bor1234

Mar 21, 2007
Has anybody followed the training plan in the back of the Training with Power Meter book, and found it to be useful. I would like to use it for the upcoming fall season that starts in September (MTB and cyclocross). Or any success using the online power training plans from Hunter Allen I believe.
Thanks

bor1234 said:
Has anybody followed the training plan in the back of the Training with Power Meter book, and found it to be useful. I would like to use it for the upcoming fall season that starts in September (MTB and cyclocross). Or any success using the online power training plans from Hunter Allen I believe.
Thanks

Keep in mind that all of the training programs in the book are really meant to serve only as examples illustrating application of the various concepts. If you're seeking a "canned" (pre-planned) training program, one of Hunter's online choices would be a better option, as at least that way you could pick the one(s) that best suit your particular situation/goals.

bor1234 said:
Thanks
I've been using the concepts from that book and many gleamed from these forums for the last year with very good results. I personally wouldn't follow any generic training plans that don't take into account my life, my strengths, weaknesses and goals.

IMHO if you can't go the full coaching route then your best bet is to really get your head around the concepts of the power based training levels, how they map to energy delivery systems, how to best train those systems and which you need to emphasize for your particular goals and your particular weaknesses. A good coach will do that analysis and much more but if that's not an option then you should learn enough to self analyze and make a plan. Cyclocross is particularly tricky to plan for since you've got to incorporate the running and because it's so dynamic.

Good luck,
Dave