Allen & Coggan head-scratcher

Discussion in 'Power Training' started by kmavm, Feb 14, 2006.

1. kmavm

kmavm New Member

I'm looking at the masters athlete's mean max power charts for 2003-2005, figure 9.11 on page 163. While the text has us focusing on the left side of the chart, I can't figure out the right side. Am I misreading this chart, or did this athlete improve his 20 minute power from approximately 200 W in 2003, to approximately 300 W in 2004, to over 400 W in 2005? What am I missing? Was this masters athlete recovering from a leg amputation during these years? Or perhaps using PowerCranks :p ?

Also, how do I prepare a similar chart (MMP over various periods overlaid in a single chart) in cyclingpeaks?

Tags:

2. acoggan

acoggan Member

I don't know who the athlete was, but it's possible that 2003 was their first year of racing. Also, keep in mind that whenever you "cherry pick" data such as when building a power duration curve using CyclingPeaks, it only tells you what you actually did, not what you might be able to do. IOW, it's also possible that their 20 min power appears to have increased so much in 3 y simply because they never really "nailed it" for that duration initially.

Unfortunately, it's not possible in the current version. Hunter actually generated those plots by using Photoshop to overlap screenshots taken from CyclingPeaks.

3. Hookyrider

Hookyrider New Member

nearly finished with the book - feeling a bit better equiped - just a lot of info to digest!!

HR

4. Woofer

Woofer New Member

The biggest headscratcher is when is the wireless SRM pictured on the cover coming out. :)

5. acoggan

acoggan Member

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! ;)

6. Hookyrider

Hookyrider New Member

Finished - now it's time to put it all to work. I know I'll end up re-reding the book a dozen times over the next year and a half... Like Joe Friels book...

and why does all the wireless stuff come out AFTER I buy my stuff? :confused:

HR