Allen key to open NiteRider head?

artemidorus

Mar 10, 2004
I've blown the bulb on my Trail Rat 2, but am unable to find the correct allen key size to open the light head despite having both a "full" metric set and a "full" imperial set. I'm gobsmacked and outraged that these arrogant people seem deliberately to have chosen a key size that noone will possess! Does anyone know which size key will fit, and how to get one?

artemidorus said:
I've blown the bulb on my Trail Rat 2, but am unable to find the correct allen key size to open the light head despite having both a "full" metric set and a "full" imperial set. I'm gobsmacked and outraged that these arrogant people seem deliberately to have chosen a key size that noone will possess! Does anyone know which size key will fit, and how to get one?
I do NOT know the specific size, but I do know that a "full" set you might get at your LBS generally does not have the smaller sizes ...

BTW. My range of Allen wrenches is between 1mm & 10mm, including the ridiculous (used-only-by-Campy 12+ years ago, AFAIK) 7mm ... and, I don't really consider that to be a "full" set since I don't have a 12mm. Some of mine are simple, L-bend type & some are T-handle. NONE are Park.

Go to a "dollar" store and buy the a set which will undoubtedly include the smaller sizes (under 3mm) that you are probably missing ... OR, if you want to spend more money, go to a hardware or "home" remodeling store.

alfeng said:
I do NOT know the specific size, but I do know that a "full" set you might get at your LBS generally does not have the smaller sizes ...

BTW. My range of Allen wrenches is between 1mm & 10mm, including the ridiculous (used-only-by-Campy 12+ years ago, AFAIK) 7mm ... and, I don't really consider that to be a "full" set since I don't have a 12mm. Some of mine are simple, L-bend type & some are T-handle. NONE are Park.

Go to a "dollar" store and buy the a set which will undoubtedly include the smaller sizes (under 3mm) that you are probably missing ... OR, if you want to spend more money, go to a hardware or "home" remodeling store.
Both sets are from the local hardware store and are about 3 times as big as anything I've seen in the LBS, each has 10pcs. From memory, I have 1mm, 2mm, 2.5mm, 3mm, 1/16",3/32" and 1/8". The correct key seems to be close to 2.5mm,3mm,3/32" and 1/8", but NONE of them fit. Can anyone help? - I'm still waiting for NiteRider's response.

I had a similar problem with some old Profile Aero Bars, I had "all" the sizes too, but gave up and gave them away on the tri forum... :eek: