Alley Cat race checkpoint question

Hello:

I'm putting on an adventure race in the spring that will have check
points similar to those in alley cat races. My question is what are
some effective ways of having un-personed check points?

So far I've seen:

* ticket-punch cabled to fixed object (like a light post)
* misc. trinkets at ea check point
* RFID cards (uh, a little beyond my budget)
* competitor takes photo of checkpoint

These all have pros/cons. Looking for both pros/cons/inappropriate
comments/as well as some totally new ideas.

Also, if you know of other/better places to ask this question let me
know too.

Thanks!

On Nov 21, 9:08 am, [email protected] wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I'm putting on an adventure race in the spring that will have check
> points similar to those in alley cat races. My question is what are
> some effective ways of having un-personed check points?
>
> So far I've seen:
>
> * ticket-punch cabled to fixed object (like a light post)
> * misc. trinkets at ea check point
> * RFID cards (uh, a little beyond my budget)
> * competitor takes photo of checkpoint
>
> These all have pros/cons. Looking for both pros/cons/inappropriate
> comments/as well as some totally new ideas.
>
> Also, if you know of other/better places to ask this question let me
> know too.

- Something at checkpoint indicates directions to
the next checkpoint.
- They have to record something they see at the checkpoint
(street address, words printed on a sign, etc)
- Checkpoint at a pay phone has partial instructions
for number they have to call for directions to next
checkpoint

Ben

In article
<186c869a-8824-414c-bb09-7785f2fd88f6@b36g2000hsa.googlegroups.com>,
[email protected] wrote:

> Hello:
>
> I'm putting on an adventure race in the spring that will have check
> points similar to those in alley cat races. My question is what are
> some effective ways of having un-personed check points?
>
> So far I've seen:
>
> * ticket-punch cabled to fixed object (like a light post)
> * misc. trinkets at ea check point
> * RFID cards (uh, a little beyond my budget)
> * competitor takes photo of checkpoint

Hardcore motorcycle rallies like the Iron Butt, which often feature
checkpoints in the middle of nowhere*, have many unmanned checkpoints.
The standard tactic is for the rally to issue a distinctive token to
each contestant (a bar towel-sized flag with a unique pattern and a
large number) which must be in the photo they take at the checkpoint.

http://www.rdrop.com/users/jearls/IBR03/album.htm

This prevents a rider from gaming the system by collecting a photo taken
by someone else, as they are expected to have their rally flag with them
at all times.

> These all have pros/cons. Looking for both pros/cons/inappropriate
> comments/as well as some totally new ideas.
>
> Also, if you know of other/better places to ask this question let me
> know too.
>
> Thanks!

http://www.ironbuttrally.com/IBR/default.cfm

"My scenarios may give the impression I could be an excellent crook.
Not true - I am a talented lawyer." - Sandy in rec.bicycles.racing

On 11/21/2007 10:43 AM, in article
de0d2380-65c3-4e4a-9b44-7cc963355d39@p69g2000hsa.googlegroups.com,

> On Nov 21, 9:08 am, [email protected] wrote:
>> Hello:
>>
>> I'm putting on an adventure race in the spring that will have check
>> points similar to those in alley cat races. My question is what are
>> some effective ways of having un-personed check points?
>>
>> So far I've seen:
>>
>> * ticket-punch cabled to fixed object (like a light post)
>> * misc. trinkets at ea check point
>> * RFID cards (uh, a little beyond my budget)
>> * competitor takes photo of checkpoint
>>
>> These all have pros/cons. Looking for both pros/cons/inappropriate
>> comments/as well as some totally new ideas.
>>
>> Also, if you know of other/better places to ask this question let me
>> know too.

> - Something at checkpoint indicates directions to
> the next checkpoint.
> - They have to record something they see at the checkpoint
> (street address, words printed on a sign, etc)
> - Checkpoint at a pay phone has partial instructions
> for number they have to call for directions to next
> checkpoint

Since one of the key aspects of an alley cat race is that there is no set
order that checkpoints must be hit, allowing the racers to figure their own
routes, the suggestions regarding directions to the next checkpoint won't
really work.

--
Steven L. Sheffield
stevens at veloworks dot com

On Nov 23, 11:47 am, "Steven L. Sheffield" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> On 11/21/2007 10:43 AM, in article
> de0d2380-65c3-4e4a-9b44-7cc963355...@p69g2000hsa.googlegroups.com,
>

> "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Nov 21, 9:08 am, [email protected] wrote:
> >> Hello:

> >> I'm putting on an adventure race in the spring that will have check
> >> points similar to those in alley cat races. My question is what are
> >> some effective ways of having un-personed check points?

> >> So far I've seen:

> >> * ticket-punch cabled to fixed object (like a light post)
> >> * misc. trinkets at ea check point
> >> * RFID cards (uh, a little beyond my budget)
> >> * competitor takes photo of checkpoint

> >> These all have pros/cons. Looking for both pros/cons/inappropriate
> >> comments/as well as some totally new ideas.

> >> Also, if you know of other/better places to ask this question let me
> >> know too.

> > - Something at checkpoint indicates directions to
> > the next checkpoint.
> > - They have to record something they see at the checkpoint
> > (street address, words printed on a sign, etc)
> > - Checkpoint at a pay phone has partial instructions
> > for number they have to call for directions to next
> > checkpoint

> Since one of the key aspects of an alley cat race is that there is no set
> order that checkpoints must be hit, allowing the racers to figure their own
> routes, the suggestions regarding directions to the next checkpoint won't
> really work.

Not necessarily. I've done one where the points were
in order and at one you did have to find a payphone and
get information on the next point. Or locate a person
and get sent on to the next point. So far as alley cat
races are somewhat like messengering, having a route
of checkpoints (like a series of scheduled deliveries)
is not alien to their nature. Also, you needed to have
brought a pen for writing clues down, quarters for the
payphone, etc - just as a prepared messenger might need
various things during the day.

Ben