Allez Steel for Touring and Commuting?

Volnix

Feb 19, 2011
Hi! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

I found a new Allez Steel bike (2010 or 2011) for around 600euros and with its Reynolds steel frame it seems very appealing. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

I am kinda in love with the new Specialized Elite Tricross Steel Disc which seems to be fantastic as an all-weather commuter and pretty good for touring too. Since its a CX bike I suspect that I can ride a few trails with it too.

Do you think that I can get the same performace from the Allez Steel?

Things that I am considering:

-I would like to use the bike for touring. The Tricross has 340mm chainstays whilst the Allez has 305mm chainstays. Is that crucial for touring with panniers?

-Would the Allez steel be Ok for riding in trails with the right tires or is there another geometry or frame strength issue for that?

Thanks. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

Volnix said:
Hi! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif I found a new Allez Steel bike (2010 or 2011) for around 600euros and with its Reynolds steel frame it seems very appealing. :) I am kinda in love with the new Specialized Elite Tricross Steel Disc which seems to be fantastic as an all-weather commuter and pretty good for touring too. Since its a CX bike I suspect that I can ride a few trails with it too. Do you think that I can get the same performace from the Allez Steel? Things that I am considering: -I would like to use the bike for touring. The Tricross has 340mm chainstays whilst the Allez has 305mm chainstays. Is that crucial for touring with panniers?[COLOR=FF00AA]that needs to be tried out, not so much for the handling but to see if your heels doesn't touch the loaded panniers while pedaling[/COLOR]   -Would the Allez steel be Ok for riding in trails with the right tires or is there another geometry or frame strength issue for that? Thanks. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif