Alloy quill shaft bolts?

Pete Biggs

Guest
I use a Protec Ahead converter in order to use an ahead stem on my
threaded forks. It's absolutely fine except I think the shaft bolt is
interefering with my compass. These bolts tend to be big lumps of steel
and get magnetised too! ...My what? Yes, I've mounted a mini compass* to
my top tube (best place for it but still not right).

Does anyone know of a converter that comes with an alloy (aluminium) bolt,
or of an alloy bolt that might fit? Preferebaly for less than 20 quid
total expendature. Any inexpensive quill stems with alloy shaft bolts
(that I could nick the bolt from)? Or perhaps you have a spare bolt? I
don't mind risking it if no guarantee of fit (would sell on).

Note: SJSC no longer stock Cinelli alloy bolts (I tried to order one).

* Gelert Watch Strap compass from eBay (sold regularly there): cheap,
small, light and neat. I have another one on another bike that points to
the correct direction -- perhaps because it has a threadless headset and
Ti frame.

~PB p[at]biggs[dot]tc

On 24/6/04 1:05 pm, in article [email protected], "Pete Biggs"
<ppear{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote:

> It's absolutely fine except I think the shaft bolt is
> interefering with my compass. These bolts tend to be big lumps of steel
> and get magnetised too! ...My what? Yes, I've mounted a mini compass* to
> my top tube (best place for it but still not right).

That's the problem with new fangled technology. Just use the time and the
angle of the sun to estimate your direction. Works fine here in Sunny Dundee
(1)

...d

[1] Driest city in UK and second sunniest last year.. or so I was told.

David Martin <[email protected]> writes:

>[1] Driest city in UK and second sunniest last year.. or so I was told.

Currently going for 'dreichest' instead....

Roos

On 24/6/04 1:59 pm, in article [email protected],
"Roos Eisma" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Currently going for 'dreichest' instead....

To translate for the southerners, dreich is an onomatopoeic word meaning a
depressingly drizzly sort of day that isn't really raining enough to call it
rain but is damp enough to not be dry and is grey and miserable.
It's not so much a word as an emotion.

...d

in message <BD009780.18D6B%[email protected]>, David Martin
('[email protected]') wrote:

> On 24/6/04 1:59 pm, in article
> [email protected], "Roos Eisma"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Currently going for 'dreichest' instead....

> To translate for the southerners, dreich is an onomatopoeic word
> meaning a depressingly drizzly sort of day that isn't really raining
> enough to call it rain but is damp enough to not be dry and is grey
> and miserable.

Ye hae it aa wrang, my mannie. Gin there's a wee bit watter on the wind,
there's a wee bit watter on the wind; nae mair's thon. 'Dreich' disnae
hae tae be wet. Dreich is dreich. They southrons micht caa it
'depressing'.

> It's not so much a word as an emotion.

Ae, aeblins; ye hae the richt o it there. And wisnae Dundee ae the
dreichest airt?

Anagram: I'm soon broke.

Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote in news:cr8tq1-m3c.ln1
@gododdin.internal.jasmine.org.uk:

> Ye hae it aa wrang, my mannie. Gin there's a wee bit watter on the wind,
> there's a wee bit watter on the wind; nae mair's thon. 'Dreich' disnae
> hae tae be wet. Dreich is dreich. They southrons micht caa it
> 'depressing'.

And I thought you were a sassenach! Dundonian can be a bit inpenetrable for
many Scots - "Ah'll hae a pae n in ingin in in aa" means little to most
people :)

Graeme

On 25/6/04 11:17 am, in article
[email protected], "Graeme"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote in news:cr8tq1-m3c.ln1
> @gododdin.internal.jasmine.org.uk:
>
>> Ye hae it aa wrang, my mannie. Gin there's a wee bit watter on the wind,
>> there's a wee bit watter on the wind; nae mair's thon. 'Dreich' disnae
>> hae tae be wet. Dreich is dreich. They southrons micht caa it
>> 'depressing'.

> And I thought you were a sassenach! Dundonian can be a bit inpenetrable for
> many Scots - "Ah'll hae a pae n in ingin in in aa" means little to most
> people :)

I'm gradually being taught the language by my kids school friends. But
anything to do with food is not a problem ;-)

...d

David Martin wrote:

> I'm gradually being taught the language by my kids school friends. But
> anything to do with food is not a problem ;-)

A Scottish friend's kids were referred by their school in the USA to a speech
correctionist to sort out their speech impediment aka a Scottish accent.

Tony

"Pete Biggs" <ppear{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I use a Protec Ahead converter in order to use an ahead stem on my
> threaded forks. It's absolutely fine except I think the shaft bolt is
> interefering with my compass.

You need to swing your bike and compass to measure the deviation
between real and measured heading. You then need to calculate the
positioning of the balls and the length if Flinders Bar to minimise
the error. Following installation of the balls and bar, a further
swing of the compass is needed to produce a correction card which
should be sited near the compass display.

Simple really.

Kind regards,
Al.

"Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> A Scottish friend's kids were referred by their school in the USA to a
> speech correctionist to sort out their speech impediment aka a
> Scottish accent.

Reminds me of one of the articles read out on The News Quiz a year or so
ago. It told of a man in America who was released from psychiatric care
when it was discovered that he was not depressed, only Scottish.

Rev. I.M. Jolly perhaps? :)

Graeme

David Martin <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<BD009780.18D6B%[email protected]>...
> On 24/6/04 1:59 pm, in article [email protected],
> "Roos Eisma" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Currently going for 'dreichest' instead....

> To translate for the southerners, dreich is an onomatopoeic word

No it isn't it has a long perdigree and is cognate with Swedish drjugr
and no doubt similar cognates in other related languages.

> meaning a
> depressingly drizzly sort of day that isn't really raining enough to call it
> rain but is damp enough to not be dry and is grey and miserable.
> It's not so much a word as an emotion.
>
> ..d

Alan

in message <[email protected]>, Alan Edgey
('[email protected]') wrote:

> David Martin <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<BD009780.18D6B%[email protected]>...
>> On 24/6/04 1:59 pm, in article
>> [email protected], "Roos Eisma"
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> > Currently going for 'dreichest' instead....

>> To translate for the southerners, dreich is an onomatopoeic word

> No it isn't it has a long perdigree and is cognate with Swedish drjugr
> and no doubt similar cognates in other related languages.

'drear' in English, which means much the same?

.::;===r==\
/ /___||___\____
//==\- ||- | /__\( MS Windows IS an operating environment.
//____\__||___|_// \|: C++ IS an object oriented programming language.
\__/ ~~~~~~~~~ \__/ Citroen 2cv6 IS a four door family saloon.

"Aloysius" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
> "Pete Biggs" <ppear{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote in message

news:<[email protected]>...
> > I use a Protec Ahead converter in order to use an ahead stem on my
> > threaded forks. It's absolutely fine except I think the shaft bolt is
> > interefering with my compass.

> You need to swing your bike and compass to measure the deviation
> between real and measured heading. You then need to calculate the
> positioning of the balls and the length if Flinders Bar to minimise
> the error. Following installation of the balls and bar, a further
> swing of the compass is needed to produce a correction card which
> should be sited near the compass display.
>
> Simple really.
>

> Kind regards,
> Al.

It would be nice to think that like steel framed ships, a steel framed
bike's magnetic field would be determined by the direction it was
facing when it was being built. Except it isn't, as brazing unlike
hammering, doesn't really count.

Curious

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 20:48:52 +0100, "Dr Curious"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>It would be nice to think that like steel framed ships, a steel framed
>bike's magnetic field would be determined by the direction it was
>facing when it was being built. Except it isn't, as brazing unlike
>hammering, doesn't really count.

Speaking of ships, Lord Kelvin invented a binnacle that incorporated
corrector magnets and iron spheres to counteract the effects of the
ship's iron. Pete could try mounting his compass in one of those.

--
Dave...

Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live. - Mark Twain

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 22:36:47 GMT, Dave Kahn <[email protected]>
wrote (more or less):

>On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 20:48:52 +0100, "Dr Curious"
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>It would be nice to think that like steel framed ships, a steel framed
>>bike's magnetic field would be determined by the direction it was
>>facing when it was being built. Except it isn't, as brazing unlike
>>hammering, doesn't really count.

>Speaking of ships, Lord Kelvin invented a binnacle that incorporated
>corrector magnets and iron spheres to counteract the effects of the
>ship's iron. Pete could try mounting his compass in one of those.

'invented /the/ binnacle, which...' </pedant>

--
Cheers,
Euan

in message <[email protected]>, Gawnsoft
('[email protected]') wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 22:36:47 GMT, Dave Kahn <[email protected]>
> wrote (more or less):
>
>>On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 20:48:52 +0100, "Dr Curious"
>><[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>It would be nice to think that like steel framed ships, a steel
>>>framed
>>>bike's magnetic field would be determined by the direction it was
>>>facing when it was being built. Except it isn't, as brazing unlike
>>>hammering, doesn't really count.

>>Speaking of ships, Lord Kelvin invented a binnacle that incorporated
>>corrector magnets and iron spheres to counteract the effects of the
>>ship's iron. Pete could try mounting his compass in one of those.

> 'invented /the/ binnacle, which...' </pedant>

No, _a_ binnacle. There had been binnacles for hundreds of years before
then, which served the important purpose of shielding the pilot light
(which illuminated the compass, enabling you to pilot the ship, hence
its name) from the wind. What made Kelvin's binnacle different from
previous binnacles was that it _also_ incorporated magnetic correction.

I do hate pedants who are just _wrong_.

Windows 95:
You, you, you! You make a grown man cry...
M. Jagger/K. Richards

Simon Brooke wrote:

> I do hate pedants who are just _wrong_.

What about those who are more than just wrong?

Tony ;-)

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 09:35:02 GMT, Simon Brooke <[email protected]>
wrote (more or less):

>in message <[email protected]>, Gawnsoft
>('[email protected]') wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 22:36:47 GMT, Dave Kahn <[email protected]>
>> wrote (more or less):

>>>Speaking of ships, Lord Kelvin invented a binnacle that incorporated
>>>corrector magnets and iron spheres to counteract the effects of the
>>>ship's iron. Pete could try mounting his compass in one of those.

>> 'invented /the/ binnacle, which...' </pedant>

>No, _a_ binnacle. There had been binnacles for hundreds of years before
>then, which served the important purpose of shielding the pilot light
>(which illuminated the compass, enabling you to pilot the ship, hence
>its name) from the wind. What made Kelvin's binnacle different from
>previous binnacles was that it _also_ incorporated magnetic correction.
>
>I do hate pedants who are just _wrong_.

Kelven invented '/the/ binnacle which' compensated for the effect of
the ships metal hull.

No other binnacle has done that sort of compensation before.

His was not one of many competing designs.

--

Gawnsoft wrote:

> Kelven invented '/the/ binnacle which' compensated for the effect of
> the ships metal hull.
>
> No other binnacle has done that sort of compensation before.
>
> His was not one of many competing designs.

I go with "a binnacle". Its "Kelvin invented a (type of) binnacle which...."
or "Kelvin invented the magnetically compensated binnacle" You can only use
the definite article with the specific binnacle he invented whereas you should
use the indefinite article in the former because the binnacle is not a
specific binnacle and has to be qualified by the clause which defines what
type of binnacle it is he invented.

uk.rec.cycling.grammar anyone?

Tony

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 13:28:08 +0100, "Tony Raven"
<[email protected]>:

>I go with "a binnacle". Its "Kelvin invented a (type of) binnacle which...."
>or "Kelvin invented the magnetically compensated binnacle"

"It's only me from over the sea" said Binnacle Bill the sailor...

IGMC

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk