Alloy quill shaft bolts?

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 13:28:08 +0100, "Tony Raven"
<[email protected]> wrote (more or less):

>Gawnsoft wrote:
>>
>> Kelven invented '/the/ binnacle which' compensated for the effect of
>> the ships metal hull.
>>
>> No other binnacle has done that sort of compensation before.
>>
>> His was not one of many competing designs.

>I go with "a binnacle". Its "Kelvin invented a (type of) binnacle which...."
>or "Kelvin invented the magnetically compensated binnacle" You can only use
>the definite article with the specific binnacle he invented whereas you should
>use the indefinite article in the former because the binnacle is not a
>specific binnacle

Using 'the' and 'which' together automatically makes it specific.

--
Cheers,
Euan

Gawnsoft <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> Using 'the' and 'which' together automatically makes it specific.

But I used 'a' and 'that' together. People are quibbling over the use
of a definite or indefinite article but no-one seems to have spotted
that a Kelvin binnacle might not be ideal for mounting on a bicycle.

--
Dave...

On 28 Jun 2004 01:20:09 -0700, [email protected] (Dave Kahn) wrote
(more or less):

>Gawnsoft <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>
>> Using 'the' and 'which' together automatically makes it specific.

>But I used 'a' and 'that' together. People are quibbling over the use
>of a definite or indefinite article but no-one seems to have spotted
>that a Kelvin binnacle might not be ideal for mounting on a bicycle.

Ah, but if you were riding a /recumbent/...
--

I wrote:
> I use a Protec Ahead converter in order to use an ahead stem on my
> threaded forks. It's absolutely fine except I think the shaft bolt is
> interefering with my compass.

Turns out my guess was wrong......

> These bolts tend to be big lumps of
> steel and get magnetised too

That's correct but it's not near or strong enough to affect it. Must be
the steel frame. I knew I needed an excuse to get a new frame :)

~PB

"Pete Biggs" <ppear{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I wrote:
> > I use a Protec Ahead converter in order to use an ahead stem on my
> > threaded forks. It's absolutely fine except I think the shaft bolt is
> > interefering with my compass.

> Turns out my guess was wrong......
>
> > These bolts tend to be big lumps of
> > steel and get magnetised too

> That's correct but it's not near or strong enough to affect it. Must be
> the steel frame. I knew I needed an excuse to get a new frame :)

When I first moved to this area, I used a compass and map to find out
where in the New Forest I had managed to cycle to. Careful taking of
bearings revealed that I was in the Solent.

Lack of squelchy feet suggested that there may be an error, so I got
off the bike and tried again. That gave a result on dry land, and
enabled me to find a pub.

Cheers,
Al