Alloy Vs Steel

hdtvkss

Oct 28, 2003
Hay all

Im in the market for a new bike and was initially considering a mid range alloy / carbon forked roadie with tiagra running gear. At the shop, the guy showed me a last years model steel frame, which was a bit more expensive but ran ultrega running gear.

Ive read around the place that steel is a better ride than alloy and lasts better, + ultrega would be nice..... is it worth the extra cost? (approx $500 aus, $250 US)

Originally posted by hdtvkss
Hay all

Im in the market for a new bike and was initially considering a mid range alloy / carbon forked roadie with tiagra running gear. At the shop, the guy showed me a last years model steel frame, which was a bit more expensive but ran ultrega running gear.

Ive read around the place that steel is a better ride than alloy and lasts better, + ultrega would be nice..... is it worth the extra cost? (approx $500 aus, $250 US)
Wouuld be for me.YMMV.

Campy revelation or no, between the two options you described above, I'd have to agree with Byrne and boudreaux. A good frame with Ultegra is a better bet than a good frame with less, if the price is right.

Steel is no holy grail, but it's about as tried, true, and appreciated as any tubeset material. If the bike in question fits, I bet it's lovable.

What's the make, anyways? Just curious.

cheers! thanks for that. looks like im going steel then!

Lokstah, the alloy bike is a Lemond Reno which seems to be wuite a competent bike (105/Tiagra, carbon fork) and the steel bike is a Lemond Zurich which i think is quite higher in their line up and noramlly double the price. the LBS is doing me a deal on it for approx $800 cheaper than makrekd price cause it is a 2003 model. so yer after looking at that i think id be mad not to take the zurich.

anyhos cheers guys and thanks for your help!

Lokstah, the alloy bike is a Lemond Reno which seems to be wuite a competent bike (105/Tiagra, carbon fork) and the steel bike is a Lemond Zurich which i think is quite higher in their line up and noramlly double the price. the LBS is doing me a deal on it for approx $800 cheaper than makrekd price cause it is a 2003 model. so yer after looking at that i think id be mad not to take the zurich.

Zurich...good pick.:)

I bought a LeMond Zurich in March and it has been awesome. I can't recommend it highly enough. It has the comfort of a steel bike without all of the weight, and the components are great as well.